BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

During that period, there were a lot of decisions made with "what gets the most equipment in service, in the shortest amount of time" as the main criteria.
View Quote

Yep.  Cost and manpower considerations were a VERY distant second in priority in 1942, if they were considered at all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Only way to truly learn that language is to go to IDC school. The flip side is you'll drink up that lifestyle through a firehose.
View Quote

Bad pun, given this thread...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the fire completely out now ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
She holds a million gallons of fuel??

Holy cow.  I would guess most of that is some kind of bunker oil, so that would be about 8 pounds per gallon.  8 million pounds!

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Holy cow.  I would guess most of that is some kind of bunker oil, so that would be about 8 pounds per gallon.  8 million pounds!

View Quote

Closer to two.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its about 1.8M ship fuel and 400k for aviation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Live w/audio

#BREAKING: USS Bonhomme Richard on fire at Naval Base San Diego
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The USS Nassau would be a decent choice....not F-35 capable but MV-22 capable..  been in reserve about 10 years.

It would need an overhaul...but it's a hull...

Peleliu has been decommed about 5 years... might be a better choice.
View Quote

hopefully not the same private contractors hired for the BHR. lol
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Closer to two.
View Quote

Mind officially blown.

I wonder if anaerobic bacteria is an issue with that much fuel sitting in giant tanks for long stretches of time.  I recall the Brits had a problem with av gas spoilage in the Caribbean at one point.  I think it was in the 1950s.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mind officially blown.

I wonder if anaerobic bacteria is an issue with that much fuel sitting in giant tanks for long stretches of time.  I recall the Brits had a problem with av gas spoilage in the Caribbean at one point.  I think it was in the 1950s.

View Quote
It has additives to prevent that kind of stuff. We had equipment that would sit on MPF ships for two years at a time, fuel quality usually wasn't an issue when activating that equipment. We usually had more problems with seals because the equipment didn't get exercised in those two years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#11]
How is the air this morning?

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Time to pull the two Tarawa-class hulls we have in reserve, send them for major overhaul then to the fleet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It has additives to prevent that kind of stuff. We had equipment that would sit on MPF ships for two years at a time, fuel quality usually wasn't an issue when activating that equipment. We usually had more problems with seals because the equipment didn't get exercised in those two years.
View Quote

Rotten seals and bunker oil sounds like you would need a shit load of paper towels.  Like 2 billion rolls per tour.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Forrestal fire video, when that major explosion takes out the fire party, your heart sinks watching it.
View Quote

My dad pulled a LtJg out of the A-4 forward of McCain’s.  The pilot was stuck upside down in his foot in his harness and my dad and another sailor cut the pilot loose.  The pilot broke his hip or his leg I can’t remember on the fall.  They got him into the catwalk right when the first bomb explosion went off.   My dad doesn’t talk much about that day.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bunch of mostly 19 year-olds knowingly walking into hell.

Fair winds gentlemen.
View Quote

Dude at about 1:15 looks like a helluva leader.  Good clear direction, and leading from the front.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sadly no matter times people are corrected on that point the same old BS keeps coming up. There's plenty of reasons to hate McCain, his actions on the the USS Forrestal isn't one of them.

ETA: They also forget this part: After the Forrestal disaster McCain volunteered for duty on the USS Oriskany (he could have gone home) and was shot down and became a POW.
View Quote

Interesting enough, the Oriskany had a fire of her own a year earlier than Forrestal and lost 44 crew.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
More pics. Damn it’s bad.
https://i.imgur.com/Ri5HI6M.jpg
View Quote

Fuck. You can see the frames under the flight deck. It burned the nonskid off.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably should have spent some time learning how to spell "ordnance"
View Quote

Yea fat finger and autocorrect. Thanks grammar police.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You guys are such fuckers.

I have not read the thread. When AFFF is offline there is supposed to be redundant roving fire watchmen, fire team on standby, and a plan to restore as much suppression capability as possible. AFFF offline should be a limited and segmented disengagement of protections; not a complete abandonment of capability.

It's possible that all of that happened properly and we still ended up with this situation.

The repair contracts are going to be AMAZING. Just the test, assessment, and evaluation is a redo of plank owner qualification at a minimum. Metallurgical sampling. Frequency modeling of proposed refitment solutions. I'm always amazed at shipbuilding line items.

View Quote

Lol I typed it quick. Probably should have proofed it.  Fuck it. Carried around enough of both A triple F and ORDNANCE so I ain’t even mad.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#20]
GW had a main space fire several years ago, fuel spill into the shaft alley.
They were at sea and nearly lost her.  No outside assistance coming in a situation like that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck. You can see the frames under the flight deck. It burned the nonskid off.
View Quote

Yea that ripple is where the deck is compromised due to heat.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#22]
When I made this thread I didn't think the fire would have been this bad
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or still be burning!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or still be burning!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or still be burning!

I’m just thrilled we didn’t lose anyone.

Can’t wait for the full “WTF Happened” report though. This is an impressive reminder for a lot of safety practices.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Looking at the preliminary interior damage there is no way they will rebuild her.  She will be stricken.  Looks like her elevators are compromised.  The cableways for the elevators are in bad shape as well as pulleys. The hangar bay doors are damaged. The overhead in hangar bay looks totally gutted and you can see massive damage to the overhead and bulkheads.  Every single hatch will need to be removed and checked for warp.  That alone is cost prohibitive.  Her combat systems on the island forward and aft are destroyed.  Her directors are destroyed.  Her 48E is gone.  Her 49 is damaged.  I can’t see her forward CIWS.  Is it even there?  Her NSSM is intact but the launcher drive and control is likely destroyed and her fwd RAM launcher is damaged.   I can’t see the engineer spaces damage but this much salt water has probably flooded most below deck spaces including engineering.  It’s simply not gonna be possible budget wise to rebuild.   We also don’t have the shipyard capacity.  Our maintenance availabilities are scheduled years in advance.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looking at the preliminary interior damage there is no way they will rebuild her.  She will be stricken.  Looks like her elevators are compromised.  The cableways for the elevators are in bad shape as well as pulleys. The hangar bay doors are damaged. The overhead in hangar bay looks totally gutted and you can see massive damage to the overhead and bulkheads.  Every single hatch will need to be removed and checked for warp.  That alone is cost prohibitive.  Her combat systems on the island forward and aft are destroyed.  Her directors are destroyed.  Her 48E is gone.  Her 49 is damaged.  I can’t see her forward CIWS.  Is it even there?  Her NSSM is intact but the launcher drive and control is likely destroyed and her fwd RAM launcher is damaged.   I can’t see the engineer spaces damage but this much salt water has probably flooded most below deck spaces including engineering.  It’s simply not gonna be possible budget wise to rebuild.   We also don’t have the shipyard capacity.  Our maintenance availabilities are scheduled years in advance.
View Quote

Based on the limited photos and information presently I have to agree with you.

She's lost.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s another thing, tons of saltwater and AFFF mix have been put down. The scope of the fire makes that pretty much moot but it’s going to have to be torn down to the metal for a damage assessment.

Fwd NATO director is right in front of the mast that shit is a goner. Pri Fly probably gone, FD control gone.

If the fire went from lower v to the 06 lvl medical is probably gone too. Ditto CIC.

So many systems are likely fully compromised. Fire main, AFFF, weapons elevators, aircraft elevators, the LAN.

I like to think we can fix anything but that’s a lot of money and time and a lot of that old shit isn’t exactly sitting on shelves.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

So the penalty for taking out a billion dollar plus warship is a slap on the wrist from what I have been reading? How is that even possible?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm heartsick after seeing those pics taken from the helo.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How is the air this morning?

View Quote

A lot better than yesterday morning.  I can still smell it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#32]
So sad to see this happen to a great ship, but also, and more importantly, super-pleased that there was no loss of life.

I'll now be curious to see how much will actually be salvageable off of her. Maybe some engineering stuff in the lower decks? I suspect virtually all electronics and combat systems are completely ruined.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Just flipped through the pictures I took of her in better days

Crazy to see
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to be contrary, but just chalk test in place for doors, hatches and scuttles- that would give you a quick read on alignment.   Gasket missing?  Might have a point.  Mark it, note it and install a gasket later.

Rust will be a major, major issue throughout the entire ship.

More to your stance, I was looking at the sideport pic and thinking about the crane.  The heat may have melted the grease off the chain and boiled out the oil in the greasebox.  Even that overhaul will be 8 manhours.  Do the LHD's still have the cargo trams in the welldeck?  Another HUGE time sink.

ETA: Did the LHD's get trams?  I don't know so I'm asking.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#35]
According to Rear Admiral Philip Sobeck, the Navy believes the fire was started by drywall supplies in a storage area in the lower half of the ship.

Blaze continues aboard USS Bonhomme Richard on San Diego Bay
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
According to Rear Admiral Philip Sobeck, the Navy believes the fire was started by drywall supplies in a storage area in the lower half of the ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STgn4cpSepI
View Quote

Drywall or tri-walls? Not too much use for drywall on a ship. Tri-walls on the other hand are giant cardboard boxes you put supplies in.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Drywall or tri-walls? Not too much use for drywall on a ship. Tri-walls on the other hand are giant cardboard boxes you put supplies in.
View Quote

Tri-walls is what I heard. Civ's won't know what those are and would "hear" dry wall.

Tri-walls are Connex boxes.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]
#1 most likely cause - sabotage.

Cardboard does not spontaneously combust.

#2 most likely - lithium ion battery had an internal short circuit and started a fire.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based on your assessment, we'll have to give up the Bonhomme Richard....  How ironic.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I was wondering where the camera for that feed was located, because you can see the tower at the top of the Hotel Del Coronado in the lower left.

A few minutes ago the view zoomed out and back in.  The camera is way out on Point Loma, near the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery or Cabrillo National Monument.  It's a very long lens.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was wondering where the camera for that feed was located, because you can see the tower at the top of the Hotel Del Coronado in the lower left.

A few minutes ago the view zoomed out and back in.  The camera is way out on Point Loma, near the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery or Cabrillo National Monument.  It's a very long lens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is there really anywhere else they could get a shot that isn't on base? None that I can think of.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s in one tank, half full.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My dad pulled a LtJg out of the A-4 forward of McCain’s.  The pilot was stuck upside down in his foot in his harness and my dad and another sailor cut the pilot loose.  The pilot broke his hip or his leg I can’t remember on the fall.  They got him into the catwalk right when the first bomb explosion went off.   My dad doesn’t talk much about that day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Forrestal fire video, when that major explosion takes out the fire party, your heart sinks watching it.

I remember reading that McCain had to climb out of his aircraft and nearly died getting out. I guess they didn’t have zero zero seats in the aircraft then.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#44]
"We don't have the shipyard capacity."  Perhaps one of the most important little bits to come out in all of this.  I'm going to guess that for this ship to be rebuilt, it would have to take the place of other shipyard work.  So, what would we take out of the Naval and commercial pipelines for this to have yard space?  Likewise, while there are likely some of the electronics assets out there, pulling them from "stores" would deplete/disrupt availability for active fleet repairs/availabiltiy, or require, upping ongoing, if any, procurement activity.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thats a whole different level of "Wow!"
View Quote

Another incident, sort of related to this fire...  the ship had 2 engine rooms, port and starboard. There were two watertight hatches leading from the main deck into each engine room.  1 set on the fantail and the other set between art house and the casing.  My intention was to run all services through the hatches on the fantail.  That way, if there was a fire, one hatch would be free of obstruction and provide a safe means of egress (and be extremely easy to secure quickly) and the other would have hoses, cables, wires, etc with disconnects.  I conducted a walkthrough with the Nassco services rep and showed him what I wanted.  Yeas, ok, can do, blah blah blah, I understand.  I come back to the ship in the morning to find services through every batch available.  I pitched a fit at the morning meeting over this.  What should have been a simple “You need to fix this” turned into a multi-day argument on why it was necessary to do.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is there really anywhere else they could get a shot that isn't on base? None that I can think of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yesterday there was a camera that must have been near the foot of the bridge on Coronado, shooting through the bridge.  It was OK.  There was another one that I figure was at Silver Strand State Beach.  It was far away and not a good shot.

The top of the bridge would be ideal but there's no stopping allowed.  The tower of the Hotel Del would probably be a good shot but I doubt that anyone is allowed up there.

Other than that, the Naval Amphibious Base (obviously off limits) or a boat on the bay.  A strip club in San Diego used to own a party barge called the Floating Castle out on the bay.  On a clear day that would have had a good view of the wet side of the base.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea probably tri-walls like what's being said. I was just quoting what the news report said.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't mean to sound ignorant or anything but it's pretty apparent at this point the ship is scrap. Is there anything other than simply starting from scratch in building a new one? Someone said ship construction is tightly scheduled and starting construction on anything not on that schedule is practically near impossible. Would it be easier to pull something out of mothballs and convert it or try and buy a similar vessel from one of our allies and convert it? If not that contracting with one of them to build us one? Just asking.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe "rooftops" downtown?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
GW had a main space fire several years ago, fuel spill into the shaft alley.
They were at sea and nearly lost her.  No outside assistance coming in a situation like that.
View Quote

That’s overstating it a bit. It wasn’t a main space fire, wasn’t in shaft alley, and they didn’t almost lose her.

It was started by smoking in an AC&R space whose exhaust went to the aux boiler exhaust and supply space (where the fire started), accentuated by improper storage of rags in a fan room and compressor oil in a nearby space.  It was primarily a ventilation and cableway fire, which is why it took them 12 hours to put out.

We were still dealing with the electrical effects of it several years later when I checked on board.

And the CO and XO were fired.
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top