Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Viasat is $200 per month.  I’d switch immediately. Even if still under contract.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Moochin:

The fuck you talking about? Musks rockets just put astronauts on the space station.
View Quote

Really?  Have you paid attention to anything he's done the last decade?  He's infamous for over promise and under deliver.  $35k Model 3, autonomous drive across the country, solar roof, Buffalo Billion factory, profitable this quarter and all going forward, none of the Starlink satellites launched to date have the laser interlink hardware he's been hyping, he was going to send 2 people around the moon in 2018, Tesla FSD was supposed to be feature complete in 2019, his underground tunnel from downtown LA to LAX for a $1 fare, etc, etc.  The latest is a smack down from the FCC. Musk wants a share of a $16B rural intranet fund, FCC said they need to prove low latency capability before they can get funding for low latency internet.

Like I say whenever this comes up, yes, Musk has done some amazing things.  That doesn't mean you should blindly trust him.  I only believe what he does, not what he says.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Applied for beta, my internet blows
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#4]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

I'm thinking that if Starlink is all it's cracked up to be, there will be an uptick in rural property purchases.
View Quote

I already purchased property with the idea that this will allow me to WFH while in the CO mountains.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Nodak_Cruffler:

Really?  Have you paid attention to anything he's done the last decade?  He's infamous for over promise and under deliver.  $35k Model 3, autonomous drive across the country, solar roof, Buffalo Billion factory, profitable this quarter and all going forward, none of the Starlink satellites launched to date have the laser interlink hardware he's been hyping, he was going to send 2 people around the moon in 2018, Tesla FSD was supposed to be feature complete in 2019, his underground tunnel from downtown LA to LAX for a $1 fare, etc, etc.  The latest is a smack down from the FCC. Musk wants a share of a $16B rural intranet fund, FCC said they need to prove low latency capability before they can get funding for low latency internet.

Like I say whenever this comes up, yes, Musk has done some amazing things.  That doesn't mean you should blindly trust him.  I only believe what he does, not what he says.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The fuck you talking about? Musks rockets just put astronauts on the space station.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:23:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atomic_Ferret] [#6]

View All Quotes

Stood up an electric car company from scratch that is still the industry leader in tech (others are catching up though).
Became a viable source of space transportation, outdoing many giant, old companies that had had the market cornered on space launches for decades. (with rockets that return to earth and land upright (most of the time)).
Put Americans back in space via American tech (no more hitching a ride with the russians).

Dude is far from perfect but has (IMO) cemented his place in the history books
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:
I applied to be a beta tester.

I really cant wait till there's competition put on ISPs to provide cheap and fast internet rather than playing on their defacto monopoly.
View Quote

This is one instance where being a beta is actually cool.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By billth777:
I cant wait.

3mb down and .25 up out here in the sticks.
View Quote

Me too!  Not much better here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]

$81.xx for 3 down .25 up.

Give me some starlink.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Erkeric:

I dont think they have named a price yet but they did hint at around 80. Something along the lines of "people are paying 80 for shitty internet and thats what we are trying to fix"

$81.xx for 3 down .25 up.

Give me some starlink.

I'm at 8 down and .3 up for $56. I'd pay $80 in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:
My internet is already faster than that.
View Quote

Then don't use it.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Sure not cities. Still a few billion rural people, businesses and equipment locations
View Quote

With laser links, it could also handle backhaul... latency would be lower than undersea cable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

Then don't use it.....
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

Then don't use it.....

I dont get some people and why they make comments like that.

My internet is faster too, but this service isn't meant for me.  I do understand what a game changer this is for those in rural areas.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I am so hoping that I can use an rv dish to get this once available.

I'd spend quite a bit on hardware for good reliable internet that didn't cost a fortune every month.

Pretty sad that hotspots work so well yet have pretty major downfalls
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By redoubt:

I don't think that will be the case. Musk discussed not being able to support areas with really high density population, like large cities. There really isn't a reason to go to satellite in those locations anyway, cost and latency are already low. This is going to be more for areas that are underserved for high-speed, and for businesses that need really low latency, like stock traders.

I'd love to dump Comcast, but I don't think this is the replacement option for me. It will be for my wife's co-worker who's  5 miles away and on HughesNet.

I think it will put downward price pressure on companies like Comcast and TimeWarner, and their service areas will shrink until they're concentrated in core urban areas.
View Quote

It will be better for rural, but as the throughput of the entire system increases, it could inch it's way into suburbia.

When it first starts it will have ~800x sats with 20Gbps ea, by 2030 it may have 30,000x sats with 100+Gbps ea. ~200 fold increase in system throughput.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

It will be better for rural, but as the throughput of the entire system increases, it could inch it's way into suburbia.

When it first starts it will have ~800x sats with 20Gbps ea, by 2030 it may have 30,000x sats with 100+Gbps ea. ~200 fold increase in system throughput.
View All Quotes

I don't think that will be the case. Musk discussed not being able to support areas with really high density population, like large cities. There really isn't a reason to go to satellite in those locations anyway, cost and latency are already low. This is going to be more for areas that are underserved for high-speed, and for businesses that need really low latency, like stock traders.

I'd love to dump Comcast, but I don't think this is the replacement option for me. It will be for my wife's co-worker who's  5 miles away and on HughesNet.

I think it will put downward price pressure on companies like Comcast and TimeWarner, and their service areas will shrink until they're concentrated in core urban areas.

There will be an upper limit to how much bandwidth you can provide to a certain area, and they can't just keep launching more and more birds because their signals will start interfering with each other.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone get in line. I'll need this at the new house we're buying.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By southfloridaguns:
what would be awesome is if he limits service to professionals only.

make their own browser that does not access social media or streaming services or track you or all the other shit.

can you imagine the consumer network he could build from a model like that?

for creators not consumers....

putting sats in space to sell more netflix and youtube to the sticks is dumb and sad. i hope Musk is cooler than that.
View Quote

You're right. He totally shouldn't make money to recoup the investment of putting hundreds of satellites up in space. He should be Cool instead.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

There will be an upper limit to how much bandwidth you can provide to a certain area, and they can't just keep launching more and more birds because their signals will start interfering with each other.
View All Quotes

High throughput satellites and ultra tight beams help solve this problem. But urban areas are already well-served by traditional broadband so it’s not the key focus. At least for the phases of launch we’ve heard about.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#19]
If you haven't seen it, SpaceX got approved for Low Latency 100M bidding in the up coming Rural Digital Opportunity Fund auction.

FCC approves SpaceX low latency bids.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JBT:

In contrast to OneWeb, SpaceX is building its user terminals in-house, he said.

“The fact that we are manufacturing this in-house does give us the distinct advantage of being able to offer a very low priced terminal,” Hofeller said. “We do not have pricing at this point, but it is something that we know is critical to making this business successful.”

Electronically steered antennas have the benefit of connecting to two or more satellites simultaneously, but have historically been too expensive for consumers. SpaceX has so far only discussed electronically steered antennas, a technology Hofeller said is “extremely difficult” to build at consumer-ready prices.

SpaceX founder Elon Musk has described Starlink user terminals as looking like a “thin, flat, round UFO on a stick,” with motors to adjust their pointing.https://spacenews.com/oneweb-spacex-optimistic-about-cheap-user-terminals/

Aside from automatically tracking the satellites, the user terminals use phased-array beam-forming and digital processing to efficiently use Ku-band spectrum.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/elon-musks-spacex-now-1-million-starlink-user-terminals-oked-for-us-internet-service/

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JBT:
Originally Posted By Boatswain:
Hold up there.

Electronically steered phased array terminals cost $20k and way up, I've seen some in the $50k-$70k range.

I'm excited for Starlink but there is no way SpaceX can cut the cost on those terminals in the short term, photos of a mysterious dish notwithstanding.

Musk has been promised full self-driving Tesla's since 2016, he always overpromises. $80 a month without a very expensive terminal is going to be a long way off.

Direct quote from Musk last month:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/gr6742/at_3400_in_the_aviation_week_interview_elon_musk/

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/space/podcast-interview-spacexs-elon-musk

In contrast to OneWeb, SpaceX is building its user terminals in-house, he said.

“The fact that we are manufacturing this in-house does give us the distinct advantage of being able to offer a very low priced terminal,” Hofeller said. “We do not have pricing at this point, but it is something that we know is critical to making this business successful.”

Electronically steered antennas have the benefit of connecting to two or more satellites simultaneously, but have historically been too expensive for consumers. SpaceX has so far only discussed electronically steered antennas, a technology Hofeller said is “extremely difficult” to build at consumer-ready prices.

SpaceX founder Elon Musk has described Starlink user terminals as looking like a “thin, flat, round UFO on a stick,” with motors to adjust their pointing.https://spacenews.com/oneweb-spacex-optimistic-about-cheap-user-terminals/

Aside from automatically tracking the satellites, the user terminals use phased-array beam-forming and digital processing to efficiently use Ku-band spectrum.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/elon-musks-spacex-now-1-million-starlink-user-terminals-oked-for-us-internet-service/

The part all the wishful thinkers are overlooking is:

While one million user terminals doesn't sound much for a nation with 120 million households, Musk says the Starlink satellite broadband service aims only to deliver coverage to 3% to 4% of the US population that haven't been reached by traditional broadband providers. At 3% coverage of all households, Starlink could serve around 3.6 million households.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crownvic96:

Cruffler has a point. Is an emoticon all you got?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:
Anything attached to Elon Musk is vaporware, but I still signed up to receive updates. Would be nice to have faster internet that 6 down and 1 up.

Indeed

But the snake oil from his Tesla claims and high promises have left a mark.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Tesla I think is meh.

But SpaceX and starlink... That seems to be something.

For people far aut where the monopolies don't give a shit about, it is a huge increase in speed. If you are stuck with current satellite internet, a big latency boost as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I will buy this at nearly any price. Our rural property has multiple high speed providers. DSL via CenturyLink, Cable via Suddenlink, AT&T 5ge, T-Mob high speed, etc. And you know what?

It doesnt matter one fucking bit when the providers all share one fiber link back down to the Valley in Phoenix. As I found out one day, the fiber was cut and nothing worked. No cell (At&T), no ipad (t-mobile), no DSL.

I then put in HughesNet as my job is one where I must 100% be connected. And boy, does it suck ass.

Can't wait!

I also asked in the previous thread we had here how they are able to achieve such amazing latency. That is the achilles heel for Hughes Net. Anyone care to explain, in nerd terms, not marketing bullshit, how they do this?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#25]
Originally Posted By mnew007:
I also asked in the previous thread we had here how they are able to achieve such amazing latency. That is the achilles heel for Hughes Net. Anyone care to explain, in nerd terms, not marketing bullshit, how they do this?
View Quote

The data is falling out of the sky rather than being pushed through wires or launched horizontally out of an antenna so it gets here quicker.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhilipPeake] [#26]
I will buy this at nearly any price. Our rural property has multiple high speed providers. DSL via CenturyLink, Cable via Suddenlink, AT&T 5ge, T-Mob high speed, etc. And you know what?

It doesnt matter one fucking bit when the providers all share one fiber link back down to the Valley in Phoenix. As I found out one day, the fiber was cut and nothing worked. No cell (At&T), no ipad (t-mobile), no DSL.

I then put in HughesNet as my job is one where I must 100% be connected. And boy, does it suck ass.

Can't wait!

View Quote

The traditional satellite Internet companies use a single satellite, so it has to stay in the same place over the earth, like Dish Network etc. That means 35,786Km away.
Your signal had to go up to the satellite, and back down again. Speed of light is 300,000km/sec, so rounding things off to make it easy, 30,000/300,000 - 0.1 that is 100ms to get from you to the satellite, then another 100ms to come back to earth. So you have built-in delay of over 200ms before you add in delays in the satellite, and the ground station, and Internet.

StarLink satellites are 550km up. 550/300,000 = 0.001833 About 2ms. Round trip about 4ms.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:

The traditional satellite Internet companies use a single satellite, so it has to stay in the same place over the earth, like Dish Network etc. That means 35,786Km away.
Your signal had to go up to the satellite, and back down again. Speed of light is 300,000km/sec, so rounding things off to make it easy, 30,000/300,000 - 0.1 that is 100ms to get from you to the satellite, then another 100ms to come back to earth. So you have built-in delay of over 200ms before you add in delays in the satellite, and the ground station, and Internet.

StarLink satellites are 550km up. 550/300,000 = 0.001833 About 2ms. Round trip about 4ms.
View Quote

Gotcha, that helps. Any details on their ground switching/handoff? 4ms roundtrip ping fixed due to physics, adding only 16ms to that seems pretty impressive (assuming 20ms ping times are to be believed).
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhilipPeake] [#28]

Gotcha, that helps. Any details on their ground switching/handoff? 4ms roundtrip ping fixed due to physics, adding only 16ms to that seems pretty impressive (assuming 20ms ping times are to be believed).
View All Quotes

Don't know. But the traditional satellite services have only one ground station (with probably a secondary backup), so if that is in California and you are in NY ... there is another 10ms or so (x2).

Starlink can easily have multiple ground stations, and it makes sense to do that rather than relaying traffic too far from sat to sat.
So if you are in CA, your connection would be routed to a CA ground station etc. I don't think they have said anything about this yes, but that is my guess as to how they intend to attack latency.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:21:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#29]

View All Quotes

Can't wait!

200ms for geo sat isn't round trip, that is just the ping part of your packet going up to the sat, and down to earth to go to whatever you are pinging on the internet.  The return pong going back up to the sat and then back down to you is another 200ms.  Now add another ~200ms of delay because you can't just transmit data to the sat whenever you want, you have to send a control signal to the sat requesting bandwidth allocation on the next frame, and then the sat has to reply telling you when and how to transmit your data without stomping on everyone else that also needs to transmit their data.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Can't wait!

View Quote

Hughesnet sats are in Geostationary.

Starlink sats are in Low Earth Orbit, which is why it needs/hundreds/thousands of them, so that there is satellites overhead at one time.

Geostationary orbit is 36,000km away, so it takes light 0.12 seconds just to get there. That is why latency is so poor.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

I'm hoping the price is good.  I want reliable high speed!
View Quote

This and I’m a cheap bastard
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ll be signing up.  VZW can take their expensive data and shove it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought a house in BFE, I might be able to get 20mbps fixed wifi for $85/mo. I hope this Starlink thing pans out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I found some shit

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/b9g8b1/spacex_files_for_6_base_stations_for_starlink/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/eby6jx/starlink_ground_station_info/

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:
I pay $155/mo for Fios Gigabit and TV. Love to knock that price down and just get on Verizon for TV.
View Quote

@Vengeance6661 Have you looked at the rural internet thread on here?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#36]
The timing couldn't be more perfect, as idiots start to burn cities there will be a flood of people moving out to more remote areas wanting high speed internet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Yall bitching about 1-3mb internet, meanwhile I'm over here with 250kb average shit. 🖕🏻
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By xviperx420:
Yall bitching about 1-3mb internet, meanwhile I'm over here with 250kb average shit. 🖕🏻
View Quote

You living off a 3G hotspot?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:17:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ytka] [#39]
View Quote

@Jagrmaister But do you get to shoot and hunt out of your backyard? Can you wake up in the morning and watch the sun come up without hearing car doors slamming, people yelling at their kids, etc? Can you raise livestock to offset the current nonsense? If you can and you have good internet access, you're very lucky. Most people can't. The vast majority of rural internet customers have slow DSL if they're lucky. A lot of them have to rely on satellite or cellular data resellers. I've dealt with cellular data for the last 3 years. The performance is good, but you still have to watch data limits and you never know when a reseller is going to get slammed by the provider.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I havent been keeping up with this at all.  Will this work on a boat?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#41]
LOL 8ms....and potentially faster than Fiber?  Old Elon is smoking that bad shit again....because there's no fucking way thats going to happen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By quick2k3:
I havent been keeping up with this at all.  Will this work on a boat?
View Quote

It will not work on a boat, it will not work on a moat.

It will not work in a plane, it may not even work on trains.

It might just work in your house, even for your lowly mouse.

It will give you internet it will, and with that thing you'll pay your bill.

Elon sent the rockets high, so send your money to the sky.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Instead of trying to hit that low price point, I bet he'd be able to spend several years provisioning these things as hotspots in small groups of homes out in the country at a lot higher price.

Four or five homes in line of sight but 15 miles out of town could pool and pay for one of these things.  A little remotely managed switch and the first homeowner to provide power and the antenna mounting gets a discount, everybody else directly pays Starlink who provisions them with WiFi.

So if the equipment costs a couple thousand per, they would still have a HUGE market for that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By poison123:
LOL 8ms....and potentially faster than Fiber?  Old Elon is smoking that bad shit again....because there's no fucking way thats going to happen.
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEIUdMiColU
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Can't wait!

View Quote

The satellites are much closer to earth, so the data doesn't have to travel as far.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Wait, you need a whole ground station terminal to receive this?

I was really hoping it would be like GPS: a small chip and antenna that could just be integrated into phones or laptops.  

If it’s for home use only and you need a bunch of expensive, bulky hardware...PASS
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#47]

200ms for geo sat isn't round trip, that is just the ping part of your packet going up to the sat, and down to earth to go to whatever you are pinging on the internet.  The return pong going back up to the sat and then back down to you is another 200ms.  Now add another ~200ms of delay because you can't just transmit data to the sat whenever you want, you have to send a control signal to the sat requesting bandwidth allocation on the next frame, and then the sat has to reply telling you when and how to transmit your data without stomping on everyone else that also needs to transmit their data.
View Quote

Yep, real world Hughesnet/Exede/Wildblue pings are in the 800ms+ range and can easily spike up to 1500-2000ms when throttled or the network is busier than usual.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:
Anything attached to Elon Musk is vaporware, but I still signed up to receive updates. Would be nice to have faster internet that 6 down and 1 up.
View Quote

I don't understand this opinion.  A good chunk of the "far out vaporware" he proposed over the past 20 years is now a reality.

His SpaceX company just put 2 guys in orbit, his car company is selling ~400,000 vehicles per year, and Starlink is up and running now as we speak.

Any one of those things is remarkable on it's own.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By david05111:
Wait, you need a whole ground station terminal to receive this?

I was really hoping it would be like GPS: a small chip and antenna that could just be integrated into phones or laptops.  

If it’s for home use only and you need a bunch of expensive, bulky hardware...PASS
View Quote

Elon said the user terminal is the size of a pizza box.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Got_Nukes:

I dont get some people and why they make comments like that.

My internet is faster too, but this service isn't meant for me.  I do understand what a game changer this is for those in rural areas.
View Quote

Exactly, I pay $80ish a month for 20/1.5 and the line is shaky as hell it goes out intermittently multiple times a day.

My town of 2200 people is forced to use a provider that charges a lot, delivers a little, and doesn't maintain their lines for shit.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top