BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This.  I've worked with Don for many years - he's a Democrat and I will vote for him again when he runs for re-election. He cares about the law and putting bad guys in jail.  He is dedicated to the law and that's all you can ask in a county attorney.
View Quote

Respect for Don crosses party lines in the legal community.  For God's sake, Stenberg hired him a a Chief Deputy in the AG's office.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There are two kinds of people involved in the riots, 1) Paid rioters and 2) Welfare recipients.
View Quote

Didn't you just say paid rioters twice?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Could get sporty in Omaha with this news. So far no news reports on it that I could find

News conference live at 1:30

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-news/douglas-county-attorney-to-hold-press-conference-to-discuss-protester-death
View Quote

Good.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the guy still in custody?  Was there actually an announcement of no charges?
View Quote

Press conference got over. No charges.

He was released sometime last night.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Touche….we all have our kinks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the internet and there are a lot of weirdos on the internet.

Touche….we all have our kinks

Don't start no shit, don't get shot.
See?
Freedom be scarier than a mug.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent.  As it should be.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Business and house are two different things. My family is in my house and I will defend it to the death protecting my family. I am not taking a risk my being at home and choosing not to be a part of the protests, rioting and violence. Does that answer your question?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you’re cool if they burn down your house? You have insurance right?

Business and house are two different things. My family is in my house and I will defend it to the death protecting my family. I am not taking a risk my being at home and choosing not to be a part of the protests, rioting and violence. Does that answer your question?

You can leave your house when things go bad.  Either it's just things or it's a place you are legally allowed to be and you shouldn't have to retreat.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

The second video from the bar's security camera pretty much sealed it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
This is how it is supposed to happen. Maybe this will help to show these idiots that you cannot commit a felony against someone without repercussions.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can leave your house when things go bad.  Either it's just things or it's a place you are legally allowed to be and you shouldn't have to retreat.
View Quote

I agree. Me personally, I wouldn’t make a stand over a business store front. That is just me. On other hand, I would make a stand over my house and for my neighbors too. Just my thought on the matter
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A business is not work dying over. That is what insurance is for. It appears he had to use deadly force to protect himself and that is what you have to do in that situation. I don’t see the point of being out there in the mix.

No doubt the media will twist this and make him out to be a racist.
View Quote

How many times does it have to be said that insurance does not cover the looting and destruction that is happening
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Good shoot. Hire more Security for the bar, and your house. Move family away until this cools down.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because social media is stirring the pot by claiming he was yelling the "N" word which was not the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does that matter?

Because social media is stirring the pot by claiming he was yelling the "N" word which was not the case.

So what if he was?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How many times does it have to be said that insurance does not cover the looting and destruction that is happening
View Quote

Where are you getting this information that insurance doesn’t cover it?

https://www.propertycasualty360.com/2020/06/01/riots-civil-commotion-and-vandalism-generally-covered-by-insurance/?slreturn=20200501153240

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are two kinds of people involved in the riots, 1) Paid rioters and 2) Welfare recipients.
View Quote

You said two kinds.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except many times it does...
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lack of mens rea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prosecutor just said there was no evidence of bar owner yelling racist comments.  People interviewed from the scene by the police stated no racist comments were being thrown out.

Why does that matter?

Lack of mens rea

Yelling racial slurs at people trying to forcibly enter your property is a crime?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was never in custody.  He was questioned with attorneys but his being "held in custody" was a statement from the chief of police who said it to appease the social media mob that were spreading the "cold blooded murder" BS.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yelling racial slurs at people trying to forcibly enter your property is a crime?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prosecutor just said there was no evidence of bar owner yelling racist comments.  People interviewed from the scene by the police stated no racist comments were being thrown out.

Why does that matter?

Lack of mens rea

Could escalate rather rapidly along.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

are those videos released?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Insurance doesn't cover for riots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A business is not work dying over. That is what insurance is for. It appears he had to use deadly force to protect himself and that is what you have to do in that situation. I don’t see the point of being out there in the mix.

No doubt the media will twist this and make him out to be a racist.

Insurance doesn't cover for riots.

https://www.iii.org/article/civil-disorders-and-insurance
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Could get sporty in Omaha with this news. So far no news reports on it that I could find

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-news/douglas-county-attorney-to-hold-press-conference-to-discuss-protester-death
View Quote

Page not found.
Wasn't a little bit ago.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don’t see why not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does insurance cover rioters burning down your building?

I don’t see why not

You should take a look at your policy
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree. Me personally, I wouldn’t make a stand over a business store front. That is just me. On other hand, I would make a stand over my house and for my neighbors too. Just my thought on the matter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't shit on a guy that's trying to protect his livelihood.  While insurance may pay for damages it isn't going to make him completely whole.  After the guy has been forced to be closed for two months already, waiting to rebuild could be the last nail in the coffin of his financial investment.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Page not found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page not found.

Its been removed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally some damn sense
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good
View Quote

Very
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Page not found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page not found.

Odd.  Click the text next to the alert at the top and it will open up the article.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I won't shit on a guy that's trying to protect his livelihood.  While insurance may pay for damages it isn't going to make him completely whole.  After the guy has been forced to be closed for two months already, waiting to rebuild could be the last nail in the coffin of his financial investment.
View Quote

I get it, I certainly do. I am just saying I wouldn’t risk it because he could have been easily killed. I have a family to think about. He may not

Both myself and my dad are small business owners

The guy was in the right and the outcome is just. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. Just because I wouldn’t have been there personally doesn’t mean I think he was in the wrong. I am just dude on A forum in the internet
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So what if he was?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does that matter?

So what if he was?

You don't have to explain it to me.  I get it.  It's the other 98% of society that doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Its been removed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page not found.

Its been removed.

Rodger that @liljakec.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good thing.

If he would of said something mean then he has to take a beating.

Its in the Constitution.

Honk honk.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does that matter?

Lack of mens rea

Are you fucking kidding me? This is what we've become? Don't yell mean things at the guy trying to break into your property, because he might get mad?

My. Fucking. God.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

protester or looter?????
View All Quotes
Quoted:

protester or looter?????

Rioter
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is GD now saying it's bad for someone to defend themselves from a horde of insurgents out to do grave bodily harm?

The fact an insurgent got shot and the Gov is ok with it should be a fucking warning to all other insurgents,"if you value your lives, go home"
View Quote

Only if the shootee said a bad racial word. Otherwise it is ok.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are you fucking kidding me? This is what we've become? Don't yell mean things at the guy trying to break into your property, because he might get mad?

My. Fucking. God.
View Quote

Best practice is to avoid saying things that could negatively impact the jury...
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fake News sir.

Ivy League Lawyers and Trust Fund babies from the burbs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not that it should matter but good.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am telling you shit is different.  Even though I am not in Omaha anymore, it is my hometown.  I went to school at North High School, so you may imagine that my social media is a little more diverse than most.  I have lifelong friends who are speaking in ways that I find quite disturbing.  We went to school together during the Rodney King riots.  While little happened in Omaha that day, lots of threats were tossed around in our racially diverse school, one of these people helped to protect us while getting out of school that afternoon.  

Don is a good man, and a damn good attorney.  I think he is doing the best he can in a very tough situation, but this is an explosive situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok. My disabled daughter’s work is shutting down and they are bring her to me at the office.  
Shits got a different feel this afternoon.  When I get gone I’m doubling down on my load out.

I am telling you shit is different.  Even though I am not in Omaha anymore, it is my hometown.  I went to school at North High School, so you may imagine that my social media is a little more diverse than most.  I have lifelong friends who are speaking in ways that I find quite disturbing.  We went to school together during the Rodney King riots.  While little happened in Omaha that day, lots of threats were tossed around in our racially diverse school, one of these people helped to protect us while getting out of school that afternoon.  

Don is a good man, and a damn good attorney.  I think he is doing the best he can in a very tough situation, but this is an explosive situation.

I went to North in '67 to 69.
We had 2 race riots then, scary situations.
Omaha has a good record for self defense shootings, especially for business owners, of siding for the attacked.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So in other words it's almost a guarantee that his bar is getting burned down tonight?
View Quote

That or a bunch of dead cockroaches in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Rumor has it that the police chief and Mayor will be holding their own press conference at 330-4 to voice their disagreement with the county attorney's decision.  That will get things stirred up.  Two politicians versus a career prosecutor who has tried more murder cases than anyone else in the state.  Insanity.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Rumor has it that the police chief and Mayor will be holding their own press conference at 330-4 to voice their disagreement with the county attorney's decision.  That will get things stirred up.  Two politicians versus a career prosecutor who has tried more murder cases than anyone else in the state.  Insanity.
View Quote

He’s gonna get zmaned. They’ll find a way to charge, even if the charge is illegal. They’ll find a way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasn’t it the police who investigated him? What does the mayor have to do with it? He didn’t investigate the case. Insanity indeed
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Best practice is to avoid saying things that could negatively impact the jury...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My. Fucking. God.

He runs a bar. He's not a stone cold Tier 1 operator that has planned out "best practices" before using his gun in self defense. Jesus.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going with you heard some bad information.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Wasn’t it the police who investigated him? What does the mayor have to do with it? He didn’t investigate the case. Insanity indeed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, homicide, command staff, county attorneys office, mayor's office all looked at the evidence together and that's the decision that was arrived at.  Maybe they will come to their senses or there was internal dissension; maybe its just a rumor but if true it will get things hot.  Hope it doesn't come to that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm going with you heard some bad information.
View Quote

Yeah I hope you're right.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top