Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I invested in most every latest and greatest product discussed on Autogeek, obsessed over details while cleaning. Spent weekends detailing, cringed when it rained, bitched when the wife had to travel gravel. It got exhausting. I still love a finely detailed vehicle but I decided clean and shiny was good enough.

Threw out everything this spring and have gone to turtlewax hybrid solutions exclusively, super easy to use, can be found at most big box/auto stores and inexpensive. I couldn't be happier!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
This is one of the worst rabbit holes ever.  You can never achieve perfection because you are constantly consuming the object.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.autopia.org/

Autogeek is a store that has a forum section shilling their products.

View Quote

autopia and autogeek are both owned by the same parent company
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
A good rainstorm and once a year with the shop vac.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.autopia.org/

Terrible forum. It's nothing but guys testing high end detailing products on 1993 Chevy Berettas
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A trick my dad taught me years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
save your old toothbrushes for detail work

A trick my dad taught me years ago.

Use a lighter to warm up the neck of the various brushes and bend them to working shapes. Be carefull when warming up the bristle area.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Terrible forum. It's nothing but guys testing high end detailing products on 1993 Chevy Berettas
View Quote

Detailed image is my website of choice
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you have hard water and dark paint, waterspots are frustrating even if you immediately dry after washing. They make filters that attach before the hose but I don't know much about those.
View Quote

The filters are pure magic.  I have a cheaper one from CR Spotless.  I use it on a black car.  I don't even bother drying the car, just let it air dry.  No water spots.  The worst thing that happens is when the pollen is bad, some will fall in the water before its totally dry and stick behind.  But I'm not worried about it for a quick maintenance wash.  I do the leaf blower if I'm looking for perfection.

Just gotta make sure you check the TDS meter and change the filter media before it's needed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Cleannnnnn.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
And that Mike guy thinks he's the detailing God.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do summa dat. Autopia is the Arfcom of detailing.

I’m not beholden to any brand across the board. Different companies do different products well and for varying prices.

I like Optimums tire gel, 303 for interior, Meguiars sells gallons of lots of products for a reasonable price that work just fine and I’ve been a Zaino user for years for finishing coats.

For polishing I got a Griots DA, use Megs 205 unless it’s super hammered and then I’ll do a pass on 105.

Strip
Clay
Polish
Dawn Wash
I use Zaino All in One as a base coat
Z5
Z2
Z2
Z10 Grand Finale

NEVER let hard water sit on your paint for long, especially in sunlight. I blow mine off with a leaf blower and then follow up quick like with detail spray and microfiber. I thought I had a picture of my two buckets with grit guards but apparently not.

I did recently invest in a pressure washer and foam cannon. That thing is dope.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116126/830E2C48-448C-4871-9007-818F5E3A3C46_jpe-1438075.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116126/D4FB2BA9-24F7-4B7F-8EB0-527F3D484F44_png-1438079.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116126/50398E91-67C7-4EBC-883C-5312598272CC_jpe-1438080.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116126/9D75D352-81C4-4DD3-A21F-383DAF8ACD04_jpe-1438081.JPG

All finished up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116126/415F8FEA-1C6C-4C1A-BB29-96A0A811C327_jpe-1438083.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116126/2262206B-28AC-43C4-825D-0A1E1E4797C6_jpe-1438084.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116126/D38D588C-C842-4421-BBE0-2A260C9985A1_jpe-1438076.JPG

View Quote

Vossen makes a great wheel. truck looks great!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I went down the rabbit hole when I corrected the paint on one of my Porsches. Poorboys was my go-to

These days, I don't care about exterior perfection, or even cleanliness so much.

Earlier today, I wired some old emblems off a recently-acquired Land Cruiser, and the I goo-goned the residue, washed, clayed, and polished the area. Of course, now I'll have to do the whole damn vehicle.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in the commercial car wash business, but I don't have the temperament or patience for true detailing. I can do what we call express details, but that is closer to a quick car clean up.    

Overall, Meguiars still has a pretty decent line of products that a lot of pros use.  They might not be the best in every category, but many detailers run successful businesses using their products exclusively. Meguiars is one of the few major brands that still have salesmen that run routes.

For a sealant, jescar powerlock is very easy to use and is very resistant to commercial car wash chemistry. Old school collinite lasts a long time too.  

The spray on ceramics (not true ceramics, but polymers btw) are so good now you get great gloss and a slick feel with very little effort. Heck, I just run mine through the car wash now and do a quick polish once or twice a year and it looks as good as a freshly detailed vehicle to 95% of the population.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I still use my porter cable 7454 from a long time ago. Lake country pads are my go to for the last decade.

I also own a drill brush, Bissell pro carpet shampooer, and a McCullough 1385 steamer.

Been a while since I detailed my car but when I do. It will take 1-2 days for the exterior (I drive an Escalade esv) and half a day for the interior but it will look better than new.

I want to go an ozone machine one day and upgrade my polisher to a new higher torque one but then again the lower torque prevents me from taking off too much or burning my paint
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Wet sanding a shitty paint job, great way to learn some technique. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

No fancy shinny Shit on this engine bay. Customer was chasing a leak so he wanted to see where it was coming from.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Mequire's fan here.  This ceramic movement is the real deal though.  Use it on anything.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend using a nanoskin sponge vs clay. Much easier to use. For lubricant I use diluted car wash in a spray bottle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went down the rabbit hole when I corrected the paint on one of my Porsches. Poorboys was my go-to

These days, I don't care about exterior perfection, or even cleanliness so much.

Earlier today, I wired some old emblems off a recently-acquired Land Cruiser, and the I goo-goned the residue, washed, clayed, and polished the area. Of course, now I'll have to do the whole damn vehicle.

View Quote
haha i'm in the same boat. Just got the chrome trim wrapped and then I debadged my 2016 A6 Prestige. Now i've got 5 really nice clean spots on the car and the rest of it looks like ass.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#21]
So this ceramic and ceramic hybrid thing is confusing the everloving shit out of me. Currently I just use the Meguiars NXT Gen2 wax. Is their hybrid ceramic much better than that? The prices on the true ceramic stuff is bonkers so I doubt i'll do that on any of my vehicles since everything I have are "dailys" now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Look amazing!

What would you recommend for a daily driver exterior kit for someone new to the hobby?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use https://adamspolishes.com/ exclusively but you'll have success with any "pro-sumer" or outright professional brand.

https://i.imgur.com/AOooBqQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eoyVSha.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KrlQC9t.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Gn8hPmU.jpg

I don't think I've washed my 4Runner since 2019

Look amazing!

What would you recommend for a daily driver exterior kit for someone new to the hobby?

I'd start out with their Ceramic Spray Coating, that's whats on my wife's Tiguan.  It's a little less involved to apply than their full-blown Ceramic line, but will still last waaaaaaay longer than almost anything else.  My old F-150 there has H20 Guard & Gloss on it.  It's about the absolute easiest product to apply but it won't last as long as any of their ceramic products.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I just bought a griots garage DA buffer last week. My old snap on was just took big.

It really works well. I flip cars and motorcycles every know and then so that was the main purpose.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been dabbling in detailing (my own vehicle, not as a business). Did a lot of research over the winter and bought up supplies, getting ready for spring/summer. Got my first new vehicle at the end of last year and want to keep it looking new for as long as possible. All previous vehicles were used and I didn't put a whole lot of effort into washing, besides hitting the automatic car wash on occasion. My current vehicle won't ever see an automatic car wash, if I can help it. I did go to the self service car wash about once a week during the winter to spray the salt off as best I could.

This is what I settled on for gear/supplies and routine:

-Karcher K1710 Cube electric pressure washer (stock parts for now, besides quick connects on all hoses, but I do already want a longer hose and live swivel on the gun)
-P&S N26 wheel cleaner
-Generic wheel brush
-Generic grit guard and bucket
-Chemical Guys Mr Pink car soap
-Generic foam cannon from Amazon with a 1.1mm orifice (I know foam cannons are controversial, but hear me out in my routine)
-The Rag Company microfiber wash mitt
-Car Pro Iron-X to get rid of the "rail dust"
-Meguiars clay bar kit with their Quick Detailer for lube
-Chemical Guys microfiber applicator pads
-Meguiars Hybric Ceramic Wax spray
-Sprayway glass cleaner
-303 Aerospace Cleaner
-303 Aerospace Protectant
-Various microfiber drying towels and some general use ones from The Rag Company and some cheap microfiber towels for the windows, wheels and door jambs

My wash routine:

1. Spray N26 on wheels, agitate with brush, rinse
2. Spray down vehicle with just water and let dry a bit
3. Use foam cannon to cover vehicle with Mr Pink soap suds (I use this step to turn the traditional "2 bucket method" into a 1 bucket method)
4. Wipe top to bottom with wash mitt, rinsing in clean water bucket with grit guard after each section
5. Rinse vehicle and dry
6. Spray down with Iron-X, let sit, rinse off and dry
7. Clay bar treatment
8. Apply Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax in a traditional "apply with applicator, let haze slightly, buff off with microfiber towel" manner
9. Clean windows
10. Blacken the tires with 303 Aerospace Protectant if needed (I really only bought this for the interior, but it works fine for this purpose, too)

I've only done step 6 with Iron-X for the first wash of the spring time, as there was quite a bit of "rail dust" build up. And I don't clay bar the vehicle every single wash. Step 8 was only required for the initial use of the Meguiars HCW, to get a foundation. All washes from there only require you to spray the vehicle down while it's still wet from the final rinse, then you rinse again which spreads the HCW and then you dry with a drying towel. I believe that the Iron-X removes most waxes/polishes as it does its thing on the iron particles, so when I need to use it again, I will reapply the Meguiars HCW in the traditional "wax on/wax off" method.

That's what I settled on and I'm happy with the results. I'm always open to suggestions, though. Like I said, I'm already wanting to upgrade some parts on my pressure washer. A longer hose so I don't have to ever move the machine, and a live swivel on the gun so I don't have to deal with untwisting the hose.

Edit: Oh, and learn from my mistakes and DO NOT open the Iron-X in the house. It smells like a mixture of a woman's hair salon and sewage and will take days for the smell to go away.

I forgot to blacken the tires before I snapped this pic. I hadn't known at the time that 303 could be used for that, and didn't have any tire shine.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I use Zaino All in One as a base coat
Z5
Z2
Z2
Z10 Grand Finale

View Quote

I use Zaino Car Wash
Z2