Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah that was me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you by chance at the Ouray KOA last July?  If not, you have a twin running around with the same exact build

Yeah that was me.

Small world!  I was right across the road from you.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Small world!  I was right across the road from you.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20909/Pursue_KOAjpg_jpg-1789618.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, small world fore sure!

I remember see you. I was wondering was there a trail or something nearby that connects to the campground, because I seen many people come from a different area.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
For you folks who enjoy Western Colorado and are looking for something a bit different than the standard ouray black bear imogen ouray or Alpine Loop:

https://rimrockertrail.org/

Spanning a distance of 160 miles, the Rimrocker Trail provides 4WD, OHV and bicycle access through some of the West’s most stunning scenery. Visitors are immersed in natural beauty as the trail guides them through a landscape of redrock canyons, winding rivers, desert vistas and alpine forests. Whether you travel the whole route or just a portion, the experience will stay with you for a lifetime.

View Quote

I definitely want to do that someday.  Heck...  enough heads up in this thread and i'll be game.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, small world fore sure!

I remember see you. I was wondering was there a trail or something nearby that connects to the campground, because I seen many people come from a different area.
View Quote

Yeah, the campground continues for a ways behind where I was camped (to the west).  There's also a trail nearby that leads to where the employees stay at as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For you folks who enjoy Western Colorado and are looking for something a bit different than the standard ouray black bear imogen ouray or Alpine Loop:

I definitely want to do that someday.  Heck...  enough heads up in this thread and i'll be game.

View Quote

I had just heard of the Rim Rocker last summer, like the day before we were leaving Ouray for Moab.  Wish I had heard of it sooner and I would've squeezed it into my plans.  There's a couple decent vids on Youtube covering the trail.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm on the CO front range. A buddy and I are planning a week where we leave our house and try to get to Moab via as much dirt as possible. We were planning to take the Rimrocker Trail for the final part of the trip to Moab.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm jelly....really jelly...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_MW-QpMlg

Are Unimogs reliable?
View Quote

One of the miners has one, we find it stuck all over the trails, they can't pass up a mud hole to save themselves..when its not stuck it is often broke down, could be because its a miner, but they are gutless, we have yanked it out of so many sticks its not even funny, have dragged it out to the road damn near as many times..the axles are the coolest thing on them, everything else in the drivetrain needs replaced...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One of the miners has one, we find it stuck all over the trails, they can't pass up a mud hole to save themselves..when its not stuck it is often broke down, could be because its a miner, but they are gutless, we have yanked it out of so many sticks its not even funny, have dragged it out to the road damn near as many times..the axles are the coolest thing on them, everything else in the drivetrain needs replaced...
View Quote
Thanks! That exactly what I was wondering about.

Any insight on Pinzgauers?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

None, haven't seen one out on the trails or the street yet...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ActionTrax. US made, super high quality.

https://usactiontrax.com/shop
View Quote

Do the metal teeth justify the $80 price difference?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure how they fare in Alaska but the one I rode in was a machine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm on the CO front range. A buddy and I are planning a week where we leave our house and try to get to Moab via as much dirt as possible. We were planning to take the Rimrocker Trail for the final part of the trip to Moab.
View Quote

Sounds like quite a plan.  Any ideas on how to get from one side of the state to the other via dirt?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It wouldn't surprise me at all, they look capable, and 6 wheel drive is a huge advantage, I find most of the commercial/mil type stuff are usually underpowered, over weight, and lack quality suspension, but all of those are addressable with a bit of money and labor...

One area we hunt is really popular for the old 5 ton mil trucks, they work good for hauling all the gear in and out, most who use them drag wheelers in on them and hunt off the wheelers..but they are blessed with a rock hard trail with very very little mud...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It wouldn't surprise me at all, they look capable, and 6 wheel drive is a huge advantage, I find most of the commercial/mil type stuff are usually underpowered, over weight, and lack quality suspension, but all of those are addressable with a bit of money and labor...

One area we hunt is really popular for the old 5 ton mil trucks, they work good for hauling all the gear in and out, most who use them drag wheelers in on them and hunt off the wheelers..but they are blessed with a rock hard trail with very very little mud...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this one was a 4x4 and they are suprisngly small and light.

my exposure was limited to wheeling on the Tellico area trails in the TN/NC borderlands.

lots of this
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

my exposure was limited to wheeling on the Tellico area trails in the TN/NC borderlands.

lots of this
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164007/DSC001111-1791791.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, lots different then us, while we do go thru a lot of stuff like that, most every valley and most lower slopes are very muddy to out right swamps...Looks fun for sure though...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ActionTrax. US made, super high quality.

https://usactiontrax.com/shop

Can't speak on the metal teeth thing, but I know for sure the teeth on the end are the first to go. When you're trying to get a bite on them in the snow or mud you can easily spin the tire on the board and cause wear. So if you're looking for something that won't wear down at all, they would probably be a good upgrade. Just keep in mind now your tire may be the weak point in the equation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, lots different then us, while we do go thru a lot of stuff like that, most every valley and most lower slopes are very muddy to out right swamps...Looks fun for sure though...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lots of this
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164007/DSC001111-1791791.jpg

It's really fun when wet

TN wheeling is basically that in different levels of severity (dirt track to muddy rock ledges). Watched a program on the logistics road to AK during WW2, based on that we have nothing like that here in terms of pure on bog.

If it does exist its for the rednecks with bigfoots to blast through (man made), hell all the "big bog holes" I know of at the few OHV parks / areas are all helped out here or there by a track hoe.

"muddin" is stupid IMO. Been there and cleaned for days....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If it does exist its for the rednecks with bigfoots to blast through (man made), hell all the "big bog holes" I know of at the few OHV parks / areas are all helped out here or there by a track hoe.

"muddin" is stupid IMO. Been there and cleaned for days....
View Quote
Ih8mud
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Remembered I had a drone today and broke it out for some practice in true overlander fashion

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remembered I had a drone today and broke it out for some practice in true overlander fashion

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/350579/Photo_6553635_DJI_35_jpg_4478534_0_20211-1792093.JPG
View Quote

what's in the box?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

what's in the box?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/350579/Photo_6553635_DJI_35_jpg_4478534_0_20211-1792093.JPG

what's in the box?

At the moment nothing I just put it back up today. Typically recovery gear. Getting it ready for events starting in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#23]
High Rock Bay, UP Michigan

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Setup at Canyonlands...

Attachment Attached File

Loaded for Moab...

Attachment Attached File

Camp site at Cane Creek

Attachment Attached File

Utah is awesome

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone ever gone from 17 or smaller wheels to 20s wrapped in 35s or similar?

I'm not seeing any advantage to the 20 setup, except maybe for better handling and feel on road due to stiffer side wall?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever gone from 17 or smaller wheels to 20s wrapped in 35s or similar?

I'm not seeing any advantage to the 20 setup, except maybe for better handling and feel on road due to stiffer side wall?
View Quote

That’s exactly the advantage. A 20 inch wheel gives one the ability to run a larger tire while retaining the same amount of sidewall ‘give.’  Thus retaining much of the on-road performance of the shorter wheel / tire combination.  

To say the same thing the other way around, less sidewall = less give. Which for on-road handling is desirable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Going this week to have my custom overlanding teardrop built.
It will be color matched to my truck.

Hitch rack for the bikes and top rack for a canoe.
5x9, solar, front box, articulating hitch, the whole deal.

Been out camping a lot with my 2020 Tacoma. I bought it for pretty much just trips. The teardrop will be a nice low light weight to tow.
One like this
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What brand are your round lights and do you like them?

@stampkolektor
View Quote

they were just amazon brand. they dont sell them anymore. they are still good 1 year later.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Any thoughts on a 2002 frontier as a rig? Truck is a crew cab with a 5speed and 4x4 of course.

Wondering if the rear seats fold down for the dog.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#32]
My old truck “Overlands” pretty well...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I could run 16’s I would.

More sidewall.

Personally I’d avoid 20’s.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

they were just amazon brand. they dont sell them anymore. they are still good 1 year later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brand are your round lights and do you like them?

@stampkolektor

I’ve got a similar looking set. They’re Oedro brand and I think they were around $50 for a pair. They are suuuper bright but more of a flood pattern than a beam.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

i have a buddy in a jeep that runs 20s with 35s. he has given that thing a beating along with us yotas with 35s and smaller rims.

he has gotten used to it, knows his tool and uses it appropriatelly.

but more sidewall is optimal so you have more contact patch when aired down.

i came down from 20s and dont miss it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got a hot lead on a 1999 100 series.

wish me luck

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

wish me luck

View Quote

Good luck, I hope to be in the same boat soon. Selling stuff and paying down debt to be in a position to buy in a bit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

wish me luck

View Quote

good luck!

im doing the KAT in mid march with another 100 and a 4runner. possibly NC in april and moab in july.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

good luck!

im doing the KAT in mid march with another 100 and a 4runner. possibly NC in april and moab in july.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wish me luck

good luck!

Been hunting massively for a clean LJ for a while and realized there are a few good 100's out there for less cost.

Targets at this point are:

1998-1999 100 series with factory locker.

2004-2006 LJ / LJ Rubicon

Goal is trail bitch as I have the 4R as a daily. Yes there would be redundancy with the 4r if I go with the 100 - but if it costs less than a LJ, why not?

I see that 98-99 100's have the two pinion front diff so I'm budgeting for a ARB locker not only to lock up the front when needed but to strengthen the unit overall.

This is like watching $GME as I find deals an have to strike before everyone else does
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

good luck!

View Quote

If you and your group are up for it and I can get free, want to meet up for a portion of the KAT?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

good luck!

View Quote
We were supposed to do the KAT last year and work got in the way. Its on my list for this year for sure.

Where in NC you headed?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you and your group are up for it and I can get free, want to meet up for a portion of the KAT?
View Quote

for sure, ill message you later when we finalize the plans!

Quoted:
We were supposed to do the KAT last year and work got in the way. Its on my list for this year for sure.

Where in NC you headed?
View Quote

would love to uwharrie!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

would love to uwharrie!
View Quote
I practically live at Uwharrie for how often I'm there
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Camped on tents for years,got older and needed a softer place to sleep  and cook and a shitter so I wentto a pop-uo clemand for a few years, then and old VW Westfalia full camper, the thru 3 proper RV 26 ft, then back to a VW WEstfalia. right now, love it, always will.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#45]
This is what I'm staring with.

Ill be adding to it very soon.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Vehicle #2 project begins now.

Suspension, tires, bumper, winch in the coming weeks.

Going to get that taken care of and run to Windrock to see what I need vs what I think I need.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Vehicle #2 project begins now.

Suspension, tires, bumper, winch in the coming weeks.

Going to get that taken care of and run to Windrock to see what I need vs what I think I need.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164007/6DFE5815-C69F-4F5C-B80C-5A8D30EBFE8E-1813532.jpg
View Quote

thats not a 100 series!!!!!!!! lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Not an overlander in the truest sense of the word, but this is my current CTC project. A 12x6 aluminum Neo with rear barn doors and a curbside RV door. Got the R5 foil backed insulation in, walls painted, slider windows installed. Now I'm running the wiring for the internal and external LED lighting. I recently got the solar panel and charge controller and other assorted low voltage items in, need to get an inverter and batteries next. And the shore power plug and cable are installed through the left side wall.

It will have two flip-top benches down each side and will allow a center panel that fits between allowing me to put down a queen mattress long ways, and still have cargo area underneath. The front will have basic cabinets and countertop (2x2s and plywood), with all the electrical underneath. Cooking will be outside on tables, and we have a Walmart dorm fridge and a Homer bucket with a toilet seat for the head. And a Honda generator for days when the solar doesn't cut it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#49]
intentional homelessness?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
intentional homelessness?
View Quote

It's about getting some fresh air.
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top