Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 1687
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:03:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skydive70] [#1]
Guys, I believe @Osprey61 has brought this up before, but I'll do it again now due to this event being right around the corning on the calendar.

Triple Witching

What Is Triple Witching? Triple witching is the simultaneous expiration of stock options, stock index futures, and stock index option contracts all on the same day. It happens four times a year: on the third Friday of March, June, September, and December.
View Quote

Historically triple witching days are notable due to extraordinary volatility-- not necessarily a bad thing, but if unexpected it may shake a lot of your boots.

This March's Triple Witch falls on Friday, March 19, 2021. Keep that date in mind if you are planning any purchases or sells, or just spectating.

BTW, I purchased the Stock Trader's Almanac 2021 and already recommend it for trying to get a historical perspective of the cyclic nature of the markets. Very well presented material that I think will pay for itself very quickly. If you are considering purchasing this book, take a look at the publishers website where you can grab a subscription-- some subscriptions include a hard-copy of the book.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By skydive70:
Guys, I believe @Osprey61 has brought this up before, but I'll do it again now due to this event being right around the corning on the calendar.

Triple Witching

Historically triple witching days are notable due to extraordinary volatility-- not necessarily a bad thing, but if unexpected it may shake a lot of your boots.

This March's Triple Witch falls on Friday, March 19, 2021. Keep that date in mind if you are planning any purchases or sells, or even if your spectating.

BTW, I purchased the Stock Trader's Almanac 2021 and already recommend it for trying to get a historical perspective of the cyclic nature of the markets. Very well presented material that I think will pay for itself very quickly. If you are considering purchasing this book, take a look at the publishers website where you can grab a subscription-- some subscriptions include a hard-copy of the book.
View Quote

Interesting, thanks for sharing.  I will getting a copy of the 2021 Almanac.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

Which broker?
View Quote

Schwab.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Come on SXOOF!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:11:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#5]
Can someone tell me what's going with MINE?  There's a lot of volume but the price is really not moving.  I would think with that kind of volume it should be going up or down...

TNSP and CLIS are doing well this morning.

Seems like volume for MVIS is relatively low today.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:17:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#6]
If anyone wants a long term income and CAP gains idea, look at CLNC.  It's an mREIT, they just restarted their dividend and stock price is about 40% under book value.  Very well positioned comiong out of the COVID downturn.  Lots of cash, minimal leverage, didn't have to sell off any assets or take on any bad debt to manage the downturn.  Now they are ready to move forward.  Dividend will surely go up again very soon.

It's a long term hold in my ROTH and I will add more to it until if's a full position.

Also GLO for income, now at 9% yield.  It's a closed end fund, price is discount to NAV so good time to get in and a lot of international exposure
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tango:

Schwab.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Which broker?

Schwab.

Schwab bought TDAmeritrade and I am not looking forward to any changes they might make.  I hope the platform will remain as is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By hurricanekev:
Come on SXOOF!
View Quote

She's been runniing pretty hard the last week or two, needs some time to blow of some steam.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Schwab bought TDAmeritrade and I am not looking forward to any changes they might make.  I hope the platform will remain as is.
View Quote

Never had any problems with Schwab until this gamestop crap. They halted trading also and pages wouldnt load. Some of it was still open but you had to fight to get an order in.
I lost money on AMC because of it. Ive had slow premarket trading and missed sells. I just shrug at some of those.

I have E trade and hate it. It changed hands a couple of times over 18 years. I dont really use it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
Can someone tell me what's going with MINE?  There's a lot of volume but the price is really not moving.  I would think with that kind of volume it should be going up or down...

View Quote

You guys are just trading shares back and forth like a game of hot potato.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#11]
SNDL is back down around 1.50....i rode that one up and dumped at 3 something.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:40:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CajunMojo] [#13]
Originally Posted By TheTech-1:

Ive been holding cnk for a while now bought low.
Its a long term play for me so my input might not be valuable to you in the short term. Im holding to sell @ $40 im ok with however long that takes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

Do you want bags? Because this is how you get bags!

Honestly. I don't know. It seems last goat roping, they did a fair job at keeping a lid on AMC. I'm still holding some $2 June calls and some shares at $4.60. I'm really considering dumping those today before earnings call.

CNK has also been strong this week, but earnings call is coming up and has me thinking about dumping those also at 200% gains.

Any thoughts on those 2?

Its a long term play for me so my input might not be valuable to you in the short term. Im holding to sell @ $40 im ok with however long that takes.

Thanks for the input. I may just hold what I have for now. I already recouped my initial buyin. Translation: sold some shares too soon.

Eta: my main concern was reality setting in after earnings
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Never had any problems with Schwab until this gamestop crap. They halted trading also and pages wouldnt load. Some of it was still open but you had to fight to get an order in.
I lost money on AMC because of it. Ive had slow premarket trading and missed sells. I just shrug at some of those.

I have E trade and hate it. It changed hands a couple of times over 18 years. I dont really use it.
View All Quotes

I hate to hear that.  Occasionally on something high volume/volatile I've had pages not load properly wiyth TDA, otherwise they've been awesome.  I't not uncommon to get a better share price than my bid.

During the GME hysteria, I put in a GTC  order to sell some lots at 380 and at 400 at end of trading so it would be there overnight and next day.  Next morning I looked and both sells had filled at $430!  The GME price shot up so quickly they were able to get that for me.  I had something similar happen today
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay I put a limit buy in on MVIS at $16.93 so it should be all up from here
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:

That's certainly what it looks like.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#17]
GME impossible to trade options on.  They keep freezing it every time I even think about it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By KaiK:
GME impossible to trade options on.  They keep freezing it every time I even think about it.
View Quote

There is some insane action going on there.  It's a battlefield stock.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#19]
ATAO is really starting to hurt me, on an emotional level.

Why's it gotta continually let me down?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

View Quote
Do you need ATAO to Rickroll you?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crownvic96:

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

One method would be to fashion yerself an ATAO doll.  You can slap it, smack it, punch it, stick pins into it to assuage your pain.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#23]
Fuck, I'm out juice for averaging down, a guy can only do it so many times in a week.

Come on GME, lets see like 10k or something.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By safe1:

My current e*Trade account started as a Sharebuilder account. It morphed through a bunch of companies til now. I actually like etrade, but it has always been a my own (not advisor controlled)  account. I mostly bought and held long term. This buying, then selling a day/week or two later, is new to me.
View Quote

Yup Sharebuilder. I couldnt remember the name. It went into a capitol one account I think and then E trade.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Yup Sharebuilder. I couldnt remember the name. It went into a capitol one account I think and then E trade.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By safe1:

My current e*Trade account started as a Sharebuilder account. It morphed through a bunch of companies til now. I actually like etrade, but it has always been a my own (not advisor controlled)  account. I mostly bought and held long term. This buying, then selling a day/week or two later, is new to me.

I've been pretty happy with etrade. I typcially use their Power etrade and I have etrade pro too though. I rarely use the webpage interface to do actual trades.

The *one* time I got fucked with them was during the GME fiasco. I put in a market order for some GME and I got qued for over 10 minutes. Price went from like 350 to about 405 where it finally bought for me. .

I think that was the last market order i've ever made.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#26]
At current pace AMC is going to be somewhere around 750,000,000 in volume for the day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I sold of my IGEN at 60% gain to buy more swamp stock.

I averaged up a bit on SXOOF, I hope that doesn't fuck me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Now that I finally have a 20% cash position available I face the same problem I face when it's in wallet.  It's burning a hole in my pocket.  But everything is sideways and I don't see any good deals
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

True true, Right there with ya.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bayoushooter:
At current pace AMC is going to be somewhere around 750,000,000 in volume for the day.
View Quote

If I can get to 11 and break even I'll get out and never look back
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I expected MINE to fuck me, no surprise there, but BRLL...damn that thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:45:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kazual] [#33]
Originally Posted By RASuperlight:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RASuperlight:

Looks like it finally went red for me today, after 18 months OVV -91% has gone to +1-2% and BSQR keeps flirting with my -25% stop!
Swamp Stocks capsized at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe I should risk burning a day trade for a short SQQQ hold.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By waldershrek:

If I can get to 11 and break even I'll get out and never look back
View Quote

I need around $11.90 to get out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#36]
How can AMC be trading like absolute crazy volume but not really moving on the price? And I bought at $10.84, so just like GME I ruined it for everyone.

Dealing with small potatoes money in this, but I have recently decided and been inspired by you all that I'm gonna give trading a try and get rich! not moon lambo rich, but stop working in an office rich
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks for the input. I may just hold what I have for now. I already recouped my initial buyin. Translation: sold some shares too soon.

View All Quotes

Do you want bags? Because this is how you get bags!

Honestly. I don't know. It seems last goat roping, they did a fair job at keeping a lid on AMC. I'm still holding some $2 June calls and some shares at $4.60. I'm really considering dumping those today before earnings call.

CNK has also been strong this week, but earnings call is coming up and has me thinking about dumping those also at 200% gains.

Any thoughts on those 2?

Main concern - thats fine i get it.
Think about this. Reality setting in after earnings for airlines and cruises? They’re still going up. All this covid shit is gonna go away. People wanna go to the movies,
They wanna cruise, they wanna fly. It’s all pent up demand right now..
My 2 cents which of those industries can recover the quickest fundamentally? People travel usually in the summer and summer is around the corner so thats gonna be a miss this year for airlines and cruises (reality setting in)
Movies? Dude you can “book” a movie in minutes... drive to the theater in 5 minutes buy tix and popcorn and shit and boom income for cnk.... people really ... really need to plan out flights and cruises.
When i first bought in to all three of those industries I figured the movies (cnk not amc) would recover quickest (fears amc would bankrupt anyway) I figured id flip my cnk gains into whatever else after they recovered... im wrong so far but i think my logic is still correct
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By UTex86:
View Quote

I have a bunch of limit buys on a bunch of stocks including mvis... sorry guys i want the dip but dont worry this is all short term shit right now anyway. God ls just giving me a way to load back up. Thanks all for your patience
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]

I have a bunch of limit buys on a bunch of stocks including mvis... sorry guys i want the dip but dont worry this is all short term shit right now anyway. God ls just giving me a way to load back up. Thanks all for your patience
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UTex86:

I sold MVIS this morning at $17, easy money after the buy at $14
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Now that I finally have a 20% cash position available I face the same problem I face when it's in wallet.  It's burning a hole in my pocket.  But everything is sideways and I don't see any good deals
View Quote

Set limit buys for stocks you want @ a price you want them at. No REgerts!
Seriously though that’s what i do
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Trying to dump my garborge stonks to buy more MAVIS.  Nothing is working for me today.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Seriously though that's what i do
View All Quotes

Then if they hit I'll be back to having no cash for opportunities!  

You're right though.  Part of me however wants to maybe try some covered options.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#43]

I sold MVIS this morning at $17, easy money after the buy at $14
View Quote

Lol thats how i played mvis when it was a penny stock... i respect the bitch now! Im in till acquisition
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#44]

You're right though.  Part of me however wants to maybe try some covered options.
View All Quotes

Dude ... you dont have to spend it ALL! Lol spread it out... make it last... leave some for later. Ive had at least 10 limit buys pop off so far today across my accounts.. i love getting the little notifications that i got a few more of this and that.. it’s like the old satisfaction we would get from ordering from Amazon. Cool thing is i feel like i get shares on sale and i dont have to watch like a hawk for it. Just enjoy the ride
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Lol thats how i played mvis when it was a penny stock... i respect the bitch now! Im in till acquisition
View Quote

Same if I could make $ I sold. Now I wish I had those stocks back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Trying to dump my garborge stonks to buy more MAVIS.  Nothing is working for me today.
View Quote

Nothing has been working for me for 2 weeks or more.  I'm small time compared to most here as well.  I'm 3k in and $600 down overall.  This is play money so I knew going in if I lost it I'd take it as a lesson learned.
The lesson so far, don't buy shit when it's up.  I'm going to need some good things to happen for a while to get back to break even.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I weary of down days.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#48]
The GME thing is fun to watch, but no way am I paying the cost of admission to this one.

All the traditional stocks I bought when everything tanked are up over a dollar per share, in some cases a good bit more -- DBX, KHC, BLK, etc.

The risky stuff... not so much, but I'll give it a bit and see what happens. Percentage-wise, the risky buys have a better chance of bringing in profits, and I treated those purchases like a gamble, so it won't break me if they tank.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Who knows maybe AMC will be better after hours.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#50]
For the options savvy investors here, can you help me understand what this means?

MVIS Options Sweep 2/24

I've read through the comments there, but just trying to understand a) what the mechanics of "sweep" are and b) what's the potential impact to us long term MVIS holders?

Thanks for any insight.

Page / 1687
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top