View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
BNGO is having a good start.

Edit: Jesus, look at it go.
Typical. Right after I sell.

I sold this morning for some modest profit.

Seems to be flying now, hit $7 and kept going.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#2]
TANH is up 10%

Maybe I actually picked one that doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:

This is good, right?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chokey:

This is good, right?

Originally Posted By Layer60:
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:
Is ZOM alive?  I see some upward movement!

Yeah, apparently there is still enough attention on it that the patent announcement gave it a little more life. It will probably continue up for a bit now. But who the hell knows.

The patent announcement is more hype than anything.  The US publication came out last week (see date on publication at https://www.freepatentsonline.com/20210002690.pdf, and the PCT "international" patent is just holding their place in line so they can file for patent protection in other countries.  The U.S. patent application hasn't been examined yet.

With that being said, I've bought and sold ZOM quite a bit and managed to sell a chunk of my holdings at today's high $1.05.  Still holding a few thousand shares and am heavily considering buying more back when/if it returns to the .80s.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:

That's because of ARKX
View Quote
I looked for this symbol but can't find anything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
That game stop. New call spread for tomorrow just maxed out.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mks99:

So does this mean that we are going to stop seeing the MSM stories about how the "market is set for a 60% correction" every single DAY just because Joe is taking office?
View Quote
I would count on more along the lines of "The market is expected to climb 20-50% in the coming months, on amazing economic recover from COVID, due to incredible pandemic leadership."
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
@ Torstin, It's Ark's new space ETF that will be released in 73 days
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

View Quote

shorts committing suicide later today?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

This hurts. Sold in fear it was going to continue going down for an $85 profit.
Those same calls are now worth almost $1800 each.... to a tune of $2700 profit
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

This hurts. Sold in fear it was going to continue going down for an $85 profit.
Those same calls are now worth almost $1800 each.... to a tune of $2700 profit
View Quote

Sad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By evo7011:

shorts committing suicide later today?
View Quote

Oh yeah.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought back into BNGO this morning and sold at 7.05

Hanging onto a few ZOM holding out for a few cents more.

So far I've just doubled my initial $300 investment when I jumped into this stonks thing 3 weeks ago. And most all of that was just the last few days. I'm addicted.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ace-of-Based] [#13]
Of course I sell and it rockets up to 7.30.... 7.65 ...7.75..
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:07:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: torstin] [#14]
Originally Posted By Haoleb:
Of course I sell and it rockets up to 7.30.... 7.65 ...7.75..
View Quote

Well, the take away for you is that you chose a good stock. You just need to work on the timing. That comes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By stillerfan:

The two patents granted to MVIS on TDM and FDM were also huge.  The usage of those techniques will cover a large swath of real world use cases such as multiple object tracking and handling different ambient light and material absorption properties.   Those patents appeared to be quite broad and IMO a big deal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stillerfan:
Originally Posted By Osprey61:

Nope, not this time. Three 'uge LIDAR patents look to be receiving approval...posted by the US Patent Office.

- Mitigation of interfering light sources
- Variable field of focus dependent on vehicle speed
- Object tracking via LIDAR using foveated rendering

Remember what I was saying a few days ago about everybody being able to do some form of LIDAR? The golden key(s) are refining it to meet the insanely complex requirements for autonomous driving. These three patents help nail down some of the truly heavy lifting - especially the last one:

From Wiki: "Foveated imaging is a digital image processing technique in which the image resolution, or amount of detail, varies across the image according to one or more "fixation points". A fixation point indicates the highest resolution region of the image and corresponds to the center of the eye's retina, the fovea."

Everyone knows Hololens II uses foveated imaging to track the pupil and sharpen the image the eye is specifically looking at - what we didn't know was it can be done with LIDAR. This is serious next-level stuff.

Traders are playing grab-ass with the share price, as always, because they almost never look below the surface. When it becomes evident just how far this puts MVIS out ahead of the rest of the LIDAR field, the price will adjust. May be today, tomorrow or next week, but the realization is dawning. Fuck...this would be the perfect time for IR to drop a progress bomb.

The two patents granted to MVIS on TDM and FDM were also huge.  The usage of those techniques will cover a large swath of real world use cases such as multiple object tracking and handling different ambient light and material absorption properties.   Those patents appeared to be quite broad and IMO a big deal.
I haven't had the chance yet to read their patent filing, but the fact that it was granted with SLAM (Simultaneous Localization and Mapping) having been out for a good 10 years is a very good sign.

I'm curious how it compares.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By torstin:

Well, the take away for you is that you chose a good stock. You just need to work on the timing. That comes.
View Quote
Yep. The last 3 I made good money on I sold way too soon. Probably left close to 3 or 400$ on the table which when your only playing with a few hundred is alot of money.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep. The last 3 I made good money on I sold way too soon. Probably left close to 3 or 400$ on the table which when your only playing with a few hundred is alot of money.
View All Quotes

I doubled my original money fast then moved it to other stock.

Depending on how things look tomorrow I think I need to sell some stuff off, pull that money right back to my bank, and just keep playing with what has been made so far.

I have no visions of cigars and brandy or anything, but I'll take 20-30 bucks a day for setting a few limit orders in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes

I almost pissed myself with excitement in November when ETH (crypto) broke $400 again and sold some, granted I only sold a little, but man that was a mistake in retrospect . Sold more in the 500s, 600s, 700s, and 800s too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By slabertooch:
I haven't had the chance yet to read their patent filing, but the fact that it was granted with SLAM (Simultaneous Localization and Mapping) having been out for a good 10 years is a very good sign.

I'm curious how it compares.
View Quote

Not a SME by any means, but from the reading I've done most SLAM is accomplished in a static environment. This is mapping with the two-to-ten ton terrain around the sensor closing at 60mph, from oblique angles. Could be wrong, but that's how I'm understanding it.

On the trade side, shorts are steadily feeding 50K blocks of borrowed shares into the bid. They're working hard to keep a lid on today before they have to cover tomorrow. Should be an interesting ride.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Like you said. You made good money and that's important. In hindsight it's easy to see where you could have done things differently but there is ALWAYS going to be another big trade out there. You went through the motions. You made smart money and it sounds as if you minimized your risk. That's very important when you don't have a large cash pool to cover mistakes.

For a sideline activity on a gun forum, I'd say you did pretty dann well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

No one ever went broke taking profit
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I was just looking at the short interest for MVIS. It's not insignificant. Not much time to cover. Can we expect a pop tomorrow?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]

No one ever went broke taking profit
View Quote

Nope, but in it's heyday a metric shit-ton of day traders got absolutely ass-slammed by the IRS because they failed to realize that - state dependent - you're going to hand over 35% to 45% of those STCGs to Uncle Sugar.

We probably don't foot-stomp that hard enough here for the guys just getting into trading. That bill can be damn near life-altering...and not in a good way...if you're not careful and haven't managed your money.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone did a call sweep at 40 strike on GME for tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woodhalljr] [#25]
A buddy Recently turned me onto this thread.  Been trying to read and learn as much as possible.  Thanks for everyone posting great information.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#26]
BBBY is looking strong and so is BB
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I was just looking at the short interest for MVIS. It's not insignificant. Not much time to cover. Can we expect a pop tomorrow?
View Quote

NASDAQ short interest page says 20M shares short with one day to cover. They're amazingly good at tip-toeing out of those positions, though. This isn't Jim-Bob and Frank shorting, it's billion dollar hedge funds. I did read earlier that Sophos Capital (one of, if not the largest short sellers in the world) is winding down their shorting. Per the article, the short selling community lost over 47% in aggregate last year.

Poster on Reddit emailed IR and asked if they're going to do an announcement on the patents granted today, and they acknowledged they were considering the idea. If I was sitting short I'd be nervous as hell about that possibility right now.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#28]
BNGO headed for $8
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Dat DTSS tho..
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#30]
Someone did a call sweep at 40 strike on GME for tomorrow.  
View Quote

That means someone is going to have to buy almost 5 million shares to cover if it goes over $40 a share.

Oops I ment to edit not qoute.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#31]

NASDAQ short interest page says 20M shares short with one day to cover. They're amazingly good at tip-toeing out of those positions, though. This isn't Jim-Bob and Frank shorting, it's billion dollar hedge funds. I did read earlier that Sophos Capital (one of, if not the largest short sellers in the world) is winding down their shorting. Per the article, the short selling community lost over 47% in aggregate last year.

Poster on Reddit emailed IR and asked if they're going to do an announcement on the patents granted today, and they acknowledged they were considering the idea. If I was sitting short I'd be nervous as hell about that possibility right now.

View Quote

Given those considerations possoble run up over 7.00 a distinct possibility?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By uglygun:

View Quote

I've quit prognosticating, 'cause I suck at it. Always look obvious to me, and the reality usually runs 180 the other direction.

Shorts are professional cutthroats.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#33]
My guess is who ever bought all those calls is going to excute them today after hours driving the price insane high tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Nope, but in it's heyday a metric shit-ton of day traders got absolutely ass-slammed by the IRS because they failed to realize that - state dependent - you're going to hand over 35% to 45% of those STCGs to Uncle Sugar.

We probably don't foot-stomp that hard enough here for the guys just getting into trading. That bill can be damn near life-altering...and not in a good way...if you're not careful and haven't managed your money.
View Quote

Why didn't you just say, "Beware, the taxman cometh!"

Yeah, there's going to be some bitching in my house, come 15 April.

My teeny investment has done well. Now, the tax bill. Grrrr
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#35]
this has been a learning thread for me thanks, 2 i have done well with are RIOT and OESX
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#36]
and just like that MVIS is starting to run
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Um, don't look now but we just went all 'splodey.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#38]
MVIS making late day push.  Will we hit 7 today?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
MVIS making late day push.  Will we hit 7 today?
View Quote

We will, limit just hit to sell some at 6.99, kinda wanted to reduce my holdings and I was able to do so at a profit at least :)
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Hit $7 for a minute and dropped
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Sold about 20% of my MVIS at $6.80 to take some profits.  I'm happy if it keeps going, or if I can rebuy for low $6s tomorrow.  Still long on MVIS
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#42]

I've quit prognosticating, 'cause I suck at it. Always look obvious to me, and the reality usually runs 180 the other direction.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By uglygun:

thats funny. Not long ago  I was cleaning house, took a break, and almost bought at 6.30 anticipating the run up. Now I see it's almost at 7.00.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Regarding taxes, when do I have to pay on them? I have not taken a penny out of my Robinhood account, just re-invested.
Do I pay tax on profit of stocks that I cashed out of, even if I reinvested in another stock (or rebought the same stock at a lower price)?
I know the difference between the short and long term (the 1 year mark), just not sure at what point in time it is taxed.

It is not a huge amount for me regardless,  I am up ~$4,000 total, but a big chunk of that is in stocks I have not touched since I purchased them.
Also, do the stocks I sold and lost money on get subtracted from the gains?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#44]
And back down it goes
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By blupupher:
Regarding taxes, when do I have to pay on them? I have not taken a penny out of my Robinhood account, just re-invested.
Do I pay tax on profit of stocks that I cashed out of, even if I reinvested in another stock (or rebought the same stock at a lower price)?
I know the difference between the short and long term (the 1 year mark), just not sure at what point in time it is taxed.

It is not a huge amount for me regardless,  I am up ~$4,000 total, but a big chunk of that is in stocks I have not touched since I purchased them.
Also, do the stocks I sold and lost money on get subtracted from the gains?
View Quote

To be a taxable event you must have sold the stock. Your realized  losses get deducted from your profit
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#46]

To be a taxable event you must have sold the stock. Your realized  losses get deducted from your profit
View Quote

OK, thanks.

I guess I will get something from Robinhood with that info?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

And you pay taxes when filing returns?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#48]
And back down it goes
View Quote

Big money throwing punches. This ain't over by a long shot. Monday is a holiday, not sure how the cover thing shakes out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By blupupher:

OK, thanks.

I guess I will get something from Robinhood with that info?
View Quote

That's what i'm waiting on, otherwise you'll have to compile your monthly statements, i don't know if they send out 1 tax document summary or not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Yes. All securities sold during the calendar year will need to be reported on your 1040 schedule D. You should get a form from your investment company and you'll need to enter the purchase price and sale price of all securities sold during that time frame as well as any dividend income. Any of the online tax filing programs will make it relatively straight forward.
Page / 1687
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top