Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't even get me started on snakes.  I was mowing the yard a couple days ago, live on about 3 acres.  Anyways, I hadn't mowed in god knows how long, but the grass was at least mid-thigh hight.  I was on my Craftsman mower going under a tree, and hear this thump, thump, thump, and I look down and see this big, thick ass 4 foot long Copperhead attacking my front right wheel.  I stopped the tractor, got the hell out of there.  Went into the house and grabbed a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun filled with OO buckshot.  This is an older bird gun with 2 triggers.  I break the gun, load up the shells, and snapped it closed.  Right when it clicked, the snake turned away from the tractor and was looking straight at me.  I shouldered up the 12 gauge and pulled both triggers at the same time.  It blew that damn snake into a billion pieces and their was blood and bone/skin all over the tractor, plus a big crater in the ground.  Needless to say, he was not going to do anything else.  I have cousins and my uncles kids are always playing in the backyard, and damn, if a snake that size would have hit them, I dun no, thats scarry.  Anyways, since then, any time im out in the evening doing something outback, I keep the 12gauge near by...  Anyone else have any snake encounters?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The nuke plant I work at sits right on a lake. Every time I have to patrol near the water, I start to shake and hyperventilate. We killed a copperhead out here a week ago and it still has me jittery.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
alittle present from us NY'ers  "WEST NILE VIRUS"    b.t.w. no need to thank us[BD]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WhoMe?:

No contest:
Chiggers on the beanbag.
View Quote

Can't agree with you more, also in the top 5 have to be deer flies, deer ticks, and "skeeters".
I also loathe horse flys, if you've ever been bit by one of those you'll remember it.[pissed]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried to eat a potato bug once, a big one about 2" in length.
It popped in my mouth like a cherry tomato, and was full of the bitterest gunk I've ever tasted. It took me forever to get rid of the taste in my mouth.
To this day those things give me the creeps. I can barely even look at them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Not really classifed as insects, but vermin.

Those damm Democ[b]RATS[/b]!

Swat them, trap them, and they keep coming back!  Multiply like the damm Bubonic Plague.  Their damm supporters reproduce just as fast.

Back to the topic.

Fleas used to [b]bug[/b] the sh*t out of me.  Until I started giving doggie FrontLine.  Then I've only seen maybe two fleas in two years.  And that's only because I was testing how long one application lasted.

Now I don't see any fleas because my dog died.[:(]

Now it's an ALL OUT WAR on moths![xx(]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#7]
spiders....I hate spiders!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I know they're important to the proper functioning of our ecosystem, but they still suck.
View Quote

In what sense are mosquitos "important to the proper functioning of our ecosystem"?  It seems to me that if all the mosquitos on Earth were to disappear, the ecosystem would chug right along without them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I really started hating termites when I bought my current house.

Previous owner did everything possible to ensure that termites would be attracted to, and infest, this house.  Hose bibs leaking, basement drains plugged and standing water in the finished basement, downspout splash block facing back towards the house.  The list goes on.  Had to un-finish the basement and discard infested panelling and carpets. Tore out an entire back wall of the house and rim joist.

Have had Orkin (Warning! Warning Will Robinson! Stay the hell away from Orkin--they suck! Ask the biggest local realtor who they use.) In more times than I can count.  They've pumped more chemicals into my house than you could find at Love Canal, and I'm still finding them!!

Anyone want to buy a house?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Some of the predatory insects are nothing short of magnificent.  How can you not be awestruck watching a dragonfly cruise around over a pond snatching mosquitoes right out of the air and devouring them on the fly?  The Praying Mantis is another beautiful killing machine.  I love the way they swivel that triangular head around eyeballing their prey before grabbing it.  Even the common Lady Bug is a terror when you watch one devour the aphids off your rose bushes.  I once had the extreme pleasure of watching a wasp subdue a large hairy spider (a tremendous slayer itself) and stuff it into a hole she had prepared in the ground.  That poor, paralyzed spider got to experience being eaten alive by the wasp larvae as they hatched out.

Lots of things that people hate (wasps, centipedes, bats, spiders, snakes, toads, etc.) consume tremendous numbers of pest insects and other vermin.  Every snake you kill, you are giving the gift of life to countless rodents.  Every bat you kill, the mosqitoes and other biting night flyers sing your praises.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Fireants....I hate those things.  Number one, they hurt like hell and they can get all over you quickly if you step on their mounds.  Poison the mound, and it will appear several feet away in a couple of days.  I once took care of a patient in the ICU where I work who had been ejected from her car in a wreck and landed on a fireant bed.  By the time the paramedics got to the scene, they were literally all over her body.  The blistery wounds were terrible and covered almost her entire body.  She ended up surviving, but the infections from the ants wounds ended up being worse than the injuries from the crash.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Treetop=why would you eat a bug?-maybe somthign is going over my head here....

anyway, fire ants are up there-   was on night patrol in good ol army and the sarge told us to get behind this burm and wait for ambush-it was pitch black out and we laid down, unfortunatly, it was a huge fire ant hill.  Ended up getting bit a few hundred times, one guy had to go to hospital.  Real neat.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
[img]www.trulynolen.com/household/storedpest/indmealmoth.jpg[/img]

I despise indian meal moths.  I found 2 boxes of Bisquick that were infested with the larva and moths everywhere. Once those damn things get in your food storage, you have to pretty much throw away everything that isn't sealed in a heavy plastic bag. They even like chocolate as I found them not only in a box of Sees candy, but in WRAPPED halloween candy.
View Quote

I have these too.   I have nothing in the pantry and everything is in tight sealed containers.   I have never seen the larva but the moths fly in a few rooms.   I see them a lot outside and I think they have found a way into the house.  

It is really fun when you come home from a day at work and look up on your ceiling.  10-20 of the moths.  Arrg.

Btw,  this year I've only seen a few (maybe I got most of them)  last year they were everywhere.

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Dung beetles.  In the Iraqi desert, you would no sooner take a squat and begin doing your business before you would hear what sounded like a single engine aircraft heading your way.  It was a real good incentive to keep it short and sweet - the thought of a 2-3" beetle hanging out just below my exposed posterior gave me the heebie jeebies.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Bot fly they grow under your skin, eating while they go.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Treetop=why would you eat a bug?-maybe somthign is going over my head here....

View Quote

I used to do a lot of things for the sole reason that I was told not to.
I figured we eat pigs, cows, chickens, etc. Why's a bug any different?
I figured the only reason my parents told me not to eat bugs was because their parents had taught them the same thing. It was passed down from generation to generation, for what reason?
We're taught that bugs are dirty, disease ridden, and all that, but how often do you hear of a kid dying because of eating bugs?

Roly-Polies were my favorite, because of the crunch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#17]
McUZI
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#18]
TICKS SUCK (Not sure if the pun is intended)

And because I like to hike in the woods (even at night), any GD spiders that like to erect webs right on the path.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:39:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Being a forester I am always being attacked by those damn things.  My hit list includes : Ticks, chiggers, yellow-jackets, hornets, fire ants, horse flys,deer flys, gnats, and 'skeeters.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#20]
(excuse my spelling) mesquitoes, flies, and bees. I HATE BUGS!
[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
any GD spiders that like to erect webs right on the path.  
View Quote

I hear that, I was sneaking around the back of a house at night trying to be absoulutely quiet. I took a step and felt a web spider and all cover my entire face. I think I threw that spider down 4 times before he/she broke contact and fled.

Now I am not a girly man but that was a tad disconcerting.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Schumers, Feinsteins, Leibermans, McCains and Bradys. Should'nt there be a spray or something for them?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]
#1 Chiggers - for obvious reasons;  
#2 Yellowjackets (live in the ground and attack en masse);  
#3 Fireants - because they're everywhere in the south;  
#4 Yellowflies (Florida)  - will make you bleed profusely;  
#5 No-see-um gnats - how does something that small inflict so much pain?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#24]
man Treetop, i cant think of a less apetizing looking bug than a potato bug!  even in a survival sitution i'd try to avoid them!

i found a wierd "hissing cockroach" sort of thing at one of my old jobs.  i went to nudge it with my toe to see if it was alive and the damned thing hissed at me!  it made the sound by scraping its back legs against its shell. it was a big bastard too, about two inches long.  i chased one around one time until it exploded. yuck!

i hate snails.  they're not insects but could still probably be classified as "bugs". nasty things! i hate when it rains and the ground id crawling with 'em.  they eat the cat food i set out for the kittens at work.  the cats are excellent vermin killers tho'.  i even saw one eat a dragonfle once...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The nuke plant I work at sits right on a lake. Every time I have to patrol near the water, I start to shake and hyperventilate. We killed a copperhead out here a week ago and it still has me jittery.
View Quote

I killed a 5-6ft copperhead on my carport.  Used a post hole digger...carport is concrete, didn't feel like pickin buckshot outa my legs.  Otherwise I have a "Snakecharmer II" singleshot .410.....SWEET LITTLE gun, VERY small.  Holds 5 extra rounds in the stock.  Stainless receiver.  Cost me $99 from a pawn shop.  ...ummm how did my ranting kick over to a gun?  :)  
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I Hate wood ticks. I was in some shin high grass for about 3 min. and my friend and I
had to sit in our car for another 10 min. picking all the ticks off of us. Spiders suck too.
[sniper]
[%(]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Anything that flies and stings!

[X]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Matt VDW:

In what sense are mosquitos "important to the proper functioning of our ecosystem"?  It seems to me that if all the mosquitos on Earth were to disappear, the ecosystem would chug right along without them.
View Quote

Well, I figure that certain insects, like dragonfly larvae, need mosquito larvae to eat, and without the mosquito larvae the dragonfly larvae wouldn't survive, which would mean no adult dragonflies, etc. Just because WE can't think of the ecological niche that's filled by pests, doesn't mean that they're not necessary in some small way.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top