BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fried one once - no smell of turkey cooking in the oven and no gravy. Hard pass for me.
View Quote
BIL gave us a kit. Fried one, it was great. No gravy (McCormic isn't an option) was a deal breaker. Plus we had almost 5 gallons of once used peanut oil I finally took to Auto Zone to recycle. We don't deep fry much else.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Infra-red fryer for the win. Used to deep fry until the $ of peanut oil went through the roof and I just wasn’t using the oil enough for other food item throughout the year.

Bought a charbroil big easy and use it year-round for turkey, pork, chicken, prime rib, lamb etc.  BE has a drip pan so you can collect drippings and make some awesome gravy.

Deep frying does produce a little better flavor on turkey and cooks twice as fast but with the BE you still get crispy skin, it cools down fast and can be cleaned and put away before the meat is down resting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother did. It was not good.

Kinda dry, too chewy.

I'll take breast down in an oven bag, so much better
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Omg that is awesome
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Smoked just like I have for the last 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I break it down into it's parts that have different cooking requirements. Breasts get sous vide, legs and thigh get braised or roasted, skin removed as a single piece or two and rendered and roasted to make a giant chicharron to top plates, and carcass gets broken down and pressure cooked to make stock for gravy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This year will be brined and oven roasted.
View Quote
Thats how we roll. Love the smell or roasting turkey as we watch football waiting for dinner. Plus it is the best way to make gravy, with the pan drippings.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the pointers.
View Quote
No problem
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is no salt or sugar in your "brine" ?
View Quote
Yes, I add a close to a full cup of salt to the water as well before I cover with ice, re reading my post I see I missed that. Salt goes in with with everything else...

ETA- I was pretty blasted last night when I posted, forgot some of the key ingredients....Salt is definitely needed for a brine!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's that time of the year!
Where's the dingle dangle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5Yak9HQeo
View Quote
You're 3+ hours late on that ;)
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Did one here monday and used canola oil like I have been doing for years. Just dont let the temp get up past 375 .

Peanut oil is nearly unobtainium and I  am not paying  $75 for 3 gallons of it when I do find it.

Bird turned out great as usual.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Breast down!. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been deep frying out T'day turkey in peanut oil for the last ~10 years.  It is really good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I use one of those for chickens.  It would require a tiny turkey.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#15]
small bottle of louisiana hot sauce, bottle of garlic juice, a bit of water to cut it. you won't have any leftovers. recipe given to me 25 years ago by a coonass cajun. he wasn't wrong.
TBS we've since gone to bring a whole turkey, spatchcocking it, rub with favorite rub, and grilling it. Best .Turkey. Ever
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
This.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Deep fry in Peanut oil and use a Cajun rub.  I have an electric fryer (similar model to Butterball XL fryer).
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
What do you suggest for an injector ?

Spit jack magnum looks to be what the pros use.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What do you suggest for an injector ?

Spit jack magnum looks to be what the pros use.
View Quote
I just use the one that comes with the Creole Butter marinade from Bass Pro.

Had a drawer full of them and threw them out, down to 3 now.
They come in handy for other things like filling up a motorcycle battery without spilling acid.

LOL
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Just bought 4+ gallons of peanut oil from Costco.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll have fry's with that.  

My sister's FIL usually does a few.  He does different flavor brines and seasonings.  It's so good that tons of people show for the eats.  That's all I know about that.

I've only smoked one with a maple syrup brine.  It was pretty awesome.

The moral of the story, in true ARF fashion, is to get both.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Use this dry rub and injectable butter, it comes with the syringe. Best damn fried turkey you will ever eat. Walmart usually carries both or you can find them at local grocery stores around here too. Fry in peanut oil or a peanut oil blend specifically blended for turkeys.

Attachment Attached File

Dry rub turkey, inject butter where the instructions say to inject it, follow the cooking instructions already posted, enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Brining is the key to a good oven roasted turkey.

I prefer fried and injected buts it's more work dealing with the oil and you don't get gravy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wasn’t fried.
View Quote
^^^
Overcooked, homie.

Turkey comes out at about 155 in the breast and gets a tinfoil tent and a beach towel over it for 30 min.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I brine mine and do a traditional oven roast because I like the way it makes the whole house smell, just like the traditional Thanksgivings of my youth.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
3-Fried turkey is good because of the skin and the dark meat.  The bad is that the white meat is always dry unless you brine it and then you ruin the skin.  When done right has the best presentation.

2-Rotisserie turkey is the second best way to cook turkey and turns out all around good.  Great skin, moist, and nice presentation.

1-The best way to prepare turkey is to dissect it.  Dark meat sous vide for 24 hours in duck fat.  Makes turkey confit and it is amazing.  The breast is brined and smoked wrapped in bacon.  The skin is cooked in pieces in the air fryer until perfectly crisp.
Does not have the presentation of fried or rotisserie but the flavor can not be beat.
View Quote
Absolutely on dissecting, but you don't get the presentation for the family that wants to see the turkey carved.

I'm also the guy that kebobs all the chicken on a stick, pork on another, beef on another, sorts veggies by cooking time, and serves everything in a bowl.

You don't get the presentation, but everyone is so deep in the food that they aren't saying anything anyway
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#28]
We did until we discovered smoked turkey
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#29]
This is what we use. It's awesome!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Use this dry rub and injectable butter, it comes with the syringe. Best damn fried turkey you will ever eat. Walmart usually carries both or you can find them at local grocery stores around here too. Fry in peanut oil or a peanut oil blend specifically blended for turkeys.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_20191003-171508_Chrome_jpg-1128068.JPG

Dry rub turkey, inject butter where the instructions say to inject it, follow the cooking instructions already posted, enjoy.
View Quote
^This^
Go easy ont the dry seasoning, it is REAL salty. 3 1/2 minutes per pound and keep the oil as close to 350 as possible. I really turn up the heat when I first put the bird in. Room temp is best to start.
I use an infrared cooker these days. What a great invention.

Make sure the bird is completely thawed, and dry so you don't burn your house down.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
^This^
Go easy ont the dry seasoning, it is REAL salty. 3 1/2 minutes per pound and keep the oil as close to 350 as possible. I really turn up the heat when I first put the bird in. Room temp is best to start.

Make sure the bird is completely thawed, and dry so you don't burn your house down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_20191003-171508_Chrome_jpg-1128068.JPG

^This^

Do you just season it with the dry rub immediately before frying or do you season it a few hours before?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Got one of the Butterball enclosed turkey fryers dirt cheap on post Xmas Wal Mart clearance works like a champ

I'll never use a open pot and flame again
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Do you just season it with the dry rub immediately before frying or do you season it a few hours before?
View Quote
@HIBigBoar

I follow these instructions exactly.

https://www.tonychachere.com/Tony-Chacheres-Deep-Fried-Turkey-P1339.aspx
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fried one once - no smell of turkey cooking in the oven and no gravy. Hard pass for me.
View Quote
We tried it once too, it was good.  But for some reason the leftovers also didn't taste as good as Oven cooked either.  So we haven't done one again.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Either way. It really doesn't do much, but gives the skin some flavor. The injection can be done just before as well, it is forced marinade, that really gets into the meat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You're 3+ hours late on that ;)
View Quote
Yeah... Guilty of not scrolling down all the way before thinking someone beat me to the punch.

<- Waste of site resources.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope. Spatchcock them on the Kamado.

Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@HIBigBoar

I follow these instructions exactly.

https://www.tonychachere.com/Tony-Chacheres-Deep-Fried-Turkey-P1339.aspx
View Quote
Thanks I’ll give it a go on a chicken to test soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#40]
We stuff ours with chili
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:01:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We stuff ours with chili
View Quote
Pics or didn’t happen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Deer meat for dinner once used an olive oil based marinade ..

What do you think is a better marinade base

Olive oil?
Butter?
Bacon fat?
Chicken fat?
Beef fat?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 3:10:57 AM EDT
[#43]
We've fried every year for around 20 years. 4-6 turkeys normally. One year we did 10 for some neighbors, but it was too much work. Always peanut oil and cajun injections.

Sometimes we'll have a smoked or wild turkey as well, but everybody is in it for the fried turkey. I love a fried turkey leg.

The only secret I have is we Simple Green any splashed concrete to get the oil out. Spray it all over once you're done.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 3:11:23 AM EDT
[#44]
*fries
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 3:24:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 3:32:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pics or didn't happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We stuff ours with chili
Pics or didn't happen.
It's so good. Moist and yummy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 4:05:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Son didn’t happen if ya ain’t  got proof.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Please disregard the troll and let’s get this back on track.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Please disregard the troll and let's get this back on track.
View Quote
I have pictures.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Lots of good info here, whether you like to fry, smoke, or roast.

Brad and Andy Try to Make the Perfect Turkey & Cranberry Sauce | Making Perfect: Thanksgiving Ep 1
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top