Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Remember Deej86?

His schtick got old too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your solution is to tell someone else to take risks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the solution is to risk be bold and unfiltered in 2nd Amendment advocacy before guns are so tightly regulated as to render the whole point of owning the forum (selling gun stuff) moot.
Lol. Because I don’t run a website that claims to be “unfiltered” I have no valid opinion or voice? That’s your position?

If AR15.com is an merely a marketing tool for Brownells then they should say so and drop the “unfiltered” 1st & 2nd Amendment advocacy bullshit.

I have engaged in 2nd amendment civil disobedience and am willing to do so again. What I can’t do is run the site. I can only make my displeasure as a paying customer known and vote with my wallet when the time comes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lol. Because I don’t run a website that claims to be “unfiltered” I have no valid opinion or voice? That’s your position?

If AR15.com is an merely a marketing tool for Brownells then they should say so and drop the “unfiltered” 1st & 2nd Amendment advocacy bullshit.

I have engaged in 2nd amendment civil disobedience and am willing to do so again. What I can’t do is run the site. I can only make my displeasure as a paying customer known and vote with my wallet when the time comes.
View Quote
Realistically , all they meant was the same old tired schtick of voting, giving money to politicians who lie about being pro 2A, joining the nra, shit like that .
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If AR15.com is an merely a marketing tool for Brownells
View Quote
It is.  This is just a web site.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Realistically , all they meant was the same old tired schtick of voting, giving money to politicians who lie about being pro 2A, joining the nra, shit like that .
View Quote
I don't know how this isn't obvious.  This is a web site, it's not a political revolution.  It's a business.  No, they're not going to explicitly state that they're just a business and membership here doesn't confer some kind of freedom fighter status because the illusion that this isn't just social media and entertainment is good for business.

There's no sex in the champagne room, either.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Remember Deej86?

His schtick got old too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I for one think you are doing a great job. WTF is a mod?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/mod-1127618.jpg
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember Deej86?
His schtick got old too.
View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You don't have a solution is my point.  You're trying to convince them to destroy their business.  Tell me how you plan for them to do what you want and continue to stay in business.  You don't have an answer, or you would have plainly stated it by now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One.   That doesn't make any sense.

Two.  What the hell do you think many of us long timers are doing?  Bitching because it's fun seeing the site we've enjoyed for decades go downhill?
You don't have a solution is my point.  You're trying to convince them to destroy their business.  Tell me how you plan for them to do what you want and continue to stay in business.  You don't have an answer, or you would have plainly stated it by now.  
Strawman deluxe.

Over 20 years of their business not being destroyed,  but growing shows your statement is full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol. Because I don't run a website that claims to be "unfiltered" I have no valid opinion or voice? That's your position?

If AR15.com is an merely a marketing tool for Brownells then they should say so and drop the "unfiltered" 1st & 2nd Amendment advocacy bullshit.

I have engaged in 2nd amendment civil disobedience and am willing to do so again. What I can't do is run the site. I can only make my displeasure as a paying customer known and vote with my wallet when the time comes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the solution is to risk be bold and unfiltered in 2nd Amendment advocacy before guns are so tightly regulated as to render the whole point of owning the forum (selling gun stuff) moot.
Lol. Because I don't run a website that claims to be "unfiltered" I have no valid opinion or voice? That's your position?

If AR15.com is an merely a marketing tool for Brownells then they should say so and drop the "unfiltered" 1st & 2nd Amendment advocacy bullshit.

I have engaged in 2nd amendment civil disobedience and am willing to do so again. What I can't do is run the site. I can only make my displeasure as a paying customer known and vote with my wallet when the time comes.
Seriously,  what is so hard to understand about the above.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a revelation: Arfcom is the Republican party.Site staff are your Senators and Congressmen

The unhappy crowd in GD are Trumpists yelling about RINOs and draining the swamp knowing full well they voted for Mitt Romney and John McCain.

There aren’t many forums that have survived as well as Arf and you have to go to war with the Arfcom you have,not the Arfcom you want. Maybe comparing Arf to the NRA is more apt,it’s a business based upon something you have a deep interest in but no matter how deep that interest is a customer is just a customer and we are all just Arf’s customers. The stuff about being a platform of unfiltered blah blah is like taking any other business as speak to heart,don’t take it at any greater value than what a potato chip company tells you about their product. I understand the emotional attachment but it’s like investing deep emotions in a sports team,again it’s just a business.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Miami_JBT is a mod now?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Miami_JBT is a mod now?
View Quote
You're like one of those Japanese soldiers found living on a Pacific island in the 50's.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Miami_JBT is a mod now?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For saying stupid shit in the religious subforum when I thought I was in GD.
View Quote
The troof comes out.

I got spanked by the mods, but not banned.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Dear Diary
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Strawman deluxe.

Over 20 years of their business not being destroyed,  but growing shows your statement is full of shit.
View Quote
Brownells hasn't owned arfcom for 20 years.  Is your point now that nothing has changed?  I thought you had a complaint about their influence on posting rules.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Brownells hasn't owned arfcom for 20 years.  Is your point now that nothing has changed?  I thought you had a complaint about their influence on posting rules.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Strawman deluxe.

Man you are dense.  The new owners should leave the site alone.  It has worked pretty damn good the way it has been running.

NO NEED FOR CHANGES
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a revelation: Arfcom is the Republican party.Site staff are your Senators and Congressmen

The unhappy crowd in GD are Trumpists yelling about RINOs and draining the swamp knowing full well they voted for Mitt Romney and John McCain.

There aren't many forums that have survived as well as Arf and you have to go to war with the Arfcom you have,not the Arfcom you want. Maybe comparing Arf to the NRA is more apt,it's a business based upon something you have a deep interest in but no matter how deep that interest is a customer is just a customer and we are all just Arf's customers. The stuff about being a platform of unfiltered blah blah is like taking any other business as speak to heart,don't take it at any greater value than what a potato chip company tells you about their product. I understand the emotional attachment but it's like investing deep emotions in a sports team,again it's just a business.
View Quote
Ive thought of this exactly analogy,  I just never typed it out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad I didn't plunk down another $24 only to be threatened with locks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Is there a similar program like stock options for mods to buy site resources?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Man you are dense.  The new owners should leave the site alone.  It has worked pretty damn good the way it has been running.

NO NEED FOR CHANGES
View Quote
Why do you think they're not taking your advice?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Strawman deluxe.

It doesn't exactly make sense to place a high-value on something, purchase it as an investment, then promptly shit all over what made it valuable in the first place.

Either the sale has had an effect on the site, and your argument regarding content-control in relation to the perceived value of the site has merit, or it has not had an effect, and they just "now" decided that one of the most common principals of this forum (Come and take them) is not appropriate.

Staff have specifically stated that the new ownership has had no impact on management of the site. So why the hell is something as simple as disobedience of a relatively minor unconstitutional law now a taboo discussion? On a site where the new owners specifically stated the acquisition was in order to further 1A and 2A freedoms.

Who's lying to the membership and who isn't?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Staff have specifically stated that the new ownership has had no impact on management of the site. So why the hell is something as simple as disobedience of a relatively minor unconstitutional law now a taboo discussion?
View Quote
Because it's bad for business.  I'm not saying that Brownells hasn't made an unwritten policy change.  It's obvious they have.  I'm saying it's amazingly naive to believe they wouldn't.  They want the members here to support the 2nd amendment in a conventional, corporate friendly way because that's good for business.  This is a business.  They're here to make money.  Internet gun board "will not comply" larping isn't compatible with that.  Just like with other forms of social media, as a user you're a resource to be monetized.  If you get in the way of making money, you'll have to go.  That's the way it is everywhere.  This is just a web site.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The fact that your interpretation of their statement is different from what they intended does not somehow make them liars.

If your interpretation of "unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices" was that it would be cool to advocate things like murdering political opponents and illegal modifications to firearms, then I do not think the problem is with Brownells.  (not saying you would ever do those things, but just examples of what people have whined about recently).

None of those things have EVER been allowed on ar15.com.  Despite the people claiming that Site Staff are liars, the basic underlying rules of ar15.com have not changed.

That said, I do understand what you are saying, and agree that the use of the word "unfiltered" should perhaps have been considered more carefully, precisely because of how it may be perceived/interpreted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, I'm asking them to just do what they would say they would do.

"They see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard. Put simply, they share in our vision for the future of AR15.com."
I don't think they ever promised suicide.  But, hold your breath I guess.
The didn't promise anything.  They made a statement.  I just would like them to stand by that statement or rescind it.

The worst types of organizations are ones that say one thing and do another.
The fact that your interpretation of their statement is different from what they intended does not somehow make them liars.

If your interpretation of "unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices" was that it would be cool to advocate things like murdering political opponents and illegal modifications to firearms, then I do not think the problem is with Brownells.  (not saying you would ever do those things, but just examples of what people have whined about recently).

None of those things have EVER been allowed on ar15.com.  Despite the people claiming that Site Staff are liars, the basic underlying rules of ar15.com have not changed.

That said, I do understand what you are saying, and agree that the use of the word "unfiltered" should perhaps have been considered more carefully, precisely because of how it may be perceived/interpreted.  
@DK-Prof

You're probably one of the most consistent individuals on this site, so just to clarify;

My responses lately are directed solely at the two Colorado-magazine-limit threads of Paul's. I don't really give a damn about the Pinochet/Commie memes and such.

I think you are probably correct, in that Brownells did not properly consider the language behind their press-release. I truly think they meant the more traditional "contact your legislators, support the NRA, etc" form of 2A activism. I also think that they didn't particularly pay attention to some of the prevailing attitudes on this forum prior to the purchase, and may have underestimated their audience.

I still see that strict enforcement of COC, in regards to peaceful protests (individual or otherwise) against laws that seek to limit or constrain rights that are paramount to this sites existence, is a mistake.

Is this meant to truly serve as a bastion for 2A supporters, or is it meant to be a place to share pictures of our dogs and toys?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It doesn't exactly make sense to place a high-value on something, purchase it as an investment, then promptly shit all over what made it valuable in the first place.
View Quote
Have you ever been involved in the corporate business world? This seems like 50+% of acquisitions.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Because it's bad for business.  I'm not saying that Brownells hasn't made an unwritten policy change.  It's obvious they have.  I'm saying it's amazingly naive to believe they wouldn't.  They want the members here to support the 2nd amendment in a conventional, corporate friendly way because that's good for business.  This is a business.  They're here to make money.  Internet gun board "will not comply" larping isn't compatible with that.  Just like with other forms of social media, as a user you're a resource to be monetized.  If you get in the way of making money, you'll have to go.  That's the way it is everywhere.  This is just a web site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Staff have specifically stated that the new ownership has had no impact on management of the site. So why the hell is something as simple as disobedience of a relatively minor unconstitutional law now a taboo discussion?
I think you're missing the subtext of why some people have been complaining about this issue. Specifically in my case;

I'm aware it is a possible threat to the bottom-line of this forum. I want them to come out and establish their honest position on the issue, so I can decide if I wish to continue patronizing this site and Brownells. Also if I would like to encourage others, through alternate social media, to cease patronizing them.

ETA: spelling correction
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm aware it is a possible threat to the bottom-line of this forum. I want them to come out and establish their honest position on the issue, so I can decide if I wish to continue patronizing this site and Brownells. Also if I would like to encourage others, through alternate social media, to cease patronizing them.
View Quote
I don't think that's unreasonable, but that's bad for business too.  I think you have your answer.  They're not going to admit what you obviously know is true.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have you ever been involved in the corporate business world? This seems like 50+% of acquisitions.
View Quote
You're right.  Hell 50% is conservative.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I for one think you are doing a great job. WTF is a mod?
View Quote
+87
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't think that's unreasonable, but that's bad for business too.  I think you have your answer.  They're not going to admit what you obviously know is true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ideally, considering the relative personalities involved in 2A ideals, I would hope they would eventually formulate an honest response.

Key word being "hope".

As I said in one of my other responses, if this is a site to defend the 2A, I'm more inclined to stay a paying member, and to patronize the advertisers.

If this is a site to share pictures of my dogs and guns, then I'll do so without the monetary and convictional commitment.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Haven't been to team in probably a decade guess I'll take a peek
View Quote
Same. GD has been it for me here for years. I mostly just pay for a membership to keep my avatar.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If this is a site to share pictures of my dogs and guns, then I'll do so without the monetary and convictional commitment.
View Quote
I paid for a membership here for years, and I don't feel like I was cheated or anything.  But I've paid enough.  No hard feelings arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I typed 75 first.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Frankly, I can say things on Facebook I couldn't get away with here................so far.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Frankly, I can say things on Facebook I couldn't get away with here................so far.
View Quote
That is actually true.  It all depends on if someone on your "friends" list decides to report you.

I've said stuff on my page that others have gotten a time-out for, but I've not gotten a warning.... yet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Nobody has ever answered my question of whether most of the bans, timeouts etc. come from mods searching their forum or from someone pushing the report button.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#39]
i think mods do a good job.  I imagine it is like herding retarded hormonal female cats with turrets
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nobody has ever answered my question of whether most of the bans, timeouts etc. come from mods searching their forum or from someone pushing the report button.
View Quote
Do you mean you wonder if they're out looking for people to ban?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. Same my FB would have me banned 6000 times over for the memes alone but then again I get to pick who sees my shit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think they are looking to ban anyone. There are hundreds of threads to monitor so unless they stumble onto a violation how do they keep track without somebody snitching.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lol. Same my FB would have me banned 6000 times over for the memes alone but then again I get to pick who sees my shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I call for hanging or imprisoning just about every asshole in DC and I go to all public. I'm sure I'm on many lists and I don't care.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, I'm asking them to just do what they would say they would do.

"They see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard. Put simply, they share in our vision for the future of AR15.com."
I don't think they ever promised suicide.  But, hold your breath I guess.
The didn't promise anything.  They made a statement.  I just would like them to stand by that statement or rescind it.

The worst types of organizations are ones that say one thing and do another.

The worst crimes, like murder are always trotted by site staff to explain why CoC #4 is the policy for all crimes.

The thread that got my proverbial goat was Paul’s lockdown of fluffy the Cats traveling through Colorado with mags over 15 rnds. A misdemeanor in that jurisdiction and a far cry from murder.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Too many people can not simply ignore a thread or post they don't agree with so they go on a Jihad posting spree in threads they don't' agree with as if they are going to win over converts in doing so. We've seen it on both sides with Pro-Trumpers and Never-Trumpers, but judging by what I've seen its a few Never-Trumpers who seem to go full Jihad in threads (about 3 of them). It's like they are trying to get someone to say something they shouldn't...I don't if thats just being a controlling asshole or trolling but that IMO is about 90% of the BS problems that go on.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think you're missing the subtext of why some people have been complaining about this issue. Specifically in my case;

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

No more coy beating around the bush.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Same.

No more coy beating around the bush.
View Quote
I don't blame you for wanting it but good luck.  We've had unwritten rules here before, even plainly stated unwritten rules and the reason was the same.  Putting some rules in black and white in the COC gives the site a not-so-favorable appearance.  Maybe even a shaky legal footing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So get both.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top