Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LoL, do you even Boogaloo, Bro?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn’t this one of the functions of GD? Bitch?

The biggest issue is that fact that since people bitch, instead of follow the rules (like if a Mod takes action and the member believes it wasn't warranted, bring in Site Staff for review) they just add fuel to the fire and bitch.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How did a thread about stamping out what makes GD work turn into a Civil rights discussion...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you think blacks are 100% free now because they hid?
They're free because white people made them free.
Im really talking civil rights post WWII.
Would the Civil Rights Movement have succeeded without the support of whites?
No, but it also  would not have succeeded without black people saying "I'm tired of this shit, and I'm gonna put a stop to it by peacefully sitting at the lunch counter, peacefully sitting in the front of the bus, etc."
How did a thread about stamping out what makes GD work turn into a Civil rights discussion...
We are talking about this site's stance that they will enforce any law on this site, by any jurisdiction,  no matter how insane.

Civil rights, in our case black gun ownership, must be fought for publicly.   Not in hiding.  And civil disobedience and the exposure of civil disobedience is an important tool in that process.

Look at the marijuana movement.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck no.... I ain't resigning as a Mod. I already did and resigned a lot IRL by becoming a investigator and riding a desk instead of a marked unit and having a Puerto Rican wife (she is the best boss ever) and now a newborn daughter. All I have left is being a Mod and wasting site resources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a very nice resignation letter.  
Fuck no.... I ain't resigning as a Mod. I already did and resigned a lot IRL by becoming a investigator and riding a desk instead of a marked unit and having a Puerto Rican wife (she is the best boss ever) and now a newborn daughter. All I have left is being a Mod and wasting site resources.
We suffer because you have no social life or sleep.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a very nice resignation letter.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or maybe you should learn to treat people civilly without name calling.
What a concept
People shouldn't have to tolerate being verbally abused because they post their opinion on a website
View Quote
Agreed.  If you can't disagree with someone without getting insulting then you have zero social skills.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I could do it all over again, I would have made my account name "General Discussion."
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#9]
None ofnus are immune from it.
View Quote
Fo.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They're free because white people made them free.
View Quote
and it cost them dearly
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I honestly believe that tempers are high here for a number of reasons. Politics, the changing in user age demographics, the constant assault on the 2nd Amendment, the paranoia of Social Media and how it is being used in Red Flag Laws, the change in Ownership due to a topic that is being kept in Team GD, and a whole bunch of other shit.

I can honestly say that my limited experience as a Mod here really has shown me how hard it is to make everyone happy. It is impossible. TBS and the rest of the Site Staff has really wanted to clean up GD and the website as a whole. But it can't be a heavy handed approach. It is a fine balancing act. The problem is, differing opinions are just that.

What some think the problem is of trolling in reality is someone else having a differing opinion. When some here think this is a Pro Trump site gets all pissy when someone else have a criticism of the President they accuse others of being Never Trumpers. The same can be said with the Pro/Anti LE discussions. I'm for legit criticism of cops when they fuck up. Just as I am about the military and government as a whole. But we draw sides and just beat each other to death over stupid shit.

The biggest issue is that fact that since people bitch, instead of follow the rules (like if a Mod takes action and the member believes it wasn't warranted, bring in Site Staff for review) they just add fuel to the fire and bitch. Seriously, if you feel a Mod did something you don't agree with. Contact the Mod and discuss it or contact Site Staff. They'll review it and if need be smack the Mod and say "No, bad Mod" if it is a legit fuck up on the Mod.

Another issue is that the community shouldn't be and isn't based simply on the most popular members get a pass at shit and for a bit, it kinda happened. And now that the rules are being applied more across the board. Shit is getting warnings for something that originally would have been swept under the rug. But that comes back to people taking shit way to seriously on some stuff.

I can also tell you this.

It honestly is pretty hard to be permanently banned from here and even then, most are allowed to come back. I was banned for stupid shit and allowed to come back after I apologized and agreed to follow the rules, which honestly I try. I don't want to have issues with other members here. Even the ones I don't always agree with. Because guess what.... I do agree with them on other shit.

I firmly believe this is a great place and it still could be in the future. But I think people are taking things way too seriously. (Myself included sometimes, again...  emotional investment in certain topics, stress from daily life, etc. None ofnus are immune from it.)

Look, I ain't perfect. I sure as shit known that. We all have fucked up here. Arfcom is a great community with a great group of folks. We all have our own personal shit to deal with outside of Arfcom. Kids, jobs, debt, family, health, etc....  sometimes, that shit bleeds over here.

The CoC is pretty easy to understand and follow. Additionally, I think we all need to take a deep breath, Members Mods, Staff, etc.... take a deep breath. Arfcom is a hell of a community that has given me some great friends that I've had the pleasure of meeting in person at NRAAM, SHOT, Cola Warrior, the Retro Shoot, and just across daily life.

So let's all chill the fuck out. We all fuck up, we all get heated, we all get emotionally invested in shit, etc....

And yes, I'm a Waste of Site Resources and so is this Thread.

Edit, to fix a typo and waste even more site resources.
View Quote

Sorry your girl lost.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The people I use the ignore feature on earned that by the nature of their commentary, not because I expect them to agree with me on every issue. And I used to take them off ignore, only to find that they hadn't changed. Do now, they stay there
View Quote
I don't have a single person on ignore. Never have, even the blatant trolls

How many do you have?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But did your vagina ever get hurt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me get this straight. You think that personal attacks on other members should be allowed?
Way back when I rode my dinosaur to school we used to have a saying, "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me - unless you manage to shove them up my ass - and I ain't going for that."....or something like that.

I don't really care what anybody calls me - just as long as they call me for vittles.
But did your vagina ever get hurt?
Noop.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want to solve 98%of all problems here simply give the original poster of each thread unrestricted authority to ban a member from posting in his thread and the ability to delete any posts he wants to in the thread.
View Quote
That sure sounds like a tactic to squelch opposing viewpoints that the leftists use today, but you forgot the needed button to add a swastika and KKK hood to the posts you disagree with. Perfect if you can't handle anyone taking exception to your thesis.

Anybody posting on any internet website should welcome civil discourse without fear of reprisal by the easily butthurt. But many can't handle anything other than an echo-chamber. Lightweights.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.erowid.org/

And yes, this website should allow civil disobedience of laws that violate the 2nd.  Especially state laws that are hyper restrictive.

Do you think marijuana is legal because they hid?

Did the US win its freedom because they hid?

You dont keep the 2nd A alive by continually retreating as new laws are passed.

Hiding is losing.
View Quote
We need a black rifle story time, not self censorship, shame and hand wringing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I for one think you are doing a great job. WTF is a mod?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And yes, this website should allow civil disobedience of laws that violate the 2nd.  Especially state laws that are hyper restrictive.

Hiding is losing.
View Quote
You're asking someone to sacrifice their investment for your cause.  They simply don't have to.  You're not entitled to someone else's property.  Why would you put up with this anyway, if the cause is so important?  Make your own site and do whatever you want.  I think you know what would happen though, and that's why you want to use someone else's site instead.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#19]
This is a good place has helped me alot.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now that you've asked, it occurs to me that we have no female Mods, as far as I know.

This one has passed over this past year:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't envy your job.  Being a mod for a gun forum is extremely difficult because gun nuts like us tend to be very opinionated individualists.  Our strong adherence to the 2A is what bound us together.  Whereas being a mod on forums such as DU must be easy.  As those people like to be lead and told what to do.  Thus much docile to deal with, at least to their kind.  So hang in there.  Don't let it get to your head.  You are still my favorite JBT.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]
“Not much”
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're asking someone to sacrifice their investment for your cause.  They simply don't have to.  You're not entitled to someone else's property.  Why would you put up with this anyway, if the cause is so important?  Make your own site and do whatever you want.  I think you know what would happen though, and that's why you want to use someone else's site instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hiding is losing.
No, I'm asking them to just do what they would say they would do.

"They see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard. Put simply, they share in our vision for the future of AR15.com."
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"They see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard. Put simply, they share in our vision for the future of AR15.com."
View Quote
I don't think they ever promised suicide.  But, hold your breath I guess.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s the catch 22 isn’t it?

If you ban civil disobedience against unjust/unconstitutional gun laws the site will not have a purpose for existing as semi autos will be banned. By refusing to fight back they will guarantee their own demise. Sounds almost like suicide.

There will be a serious attempt at the Federal level against the 2nd Amendment in the next decade once the dems have congress and the White House. Being good little boys isn’t going to save us.

The site staff should be thinking hard about their CoC policy. Which as of right now is as Sherrick described:

“.....they will enforce any law on this site, by any jurisdiction, no matter how insane.“

Time to go make my 30 round magazine necklace.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
A pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The site staff should be thinking hard about their CoC policy.
View Quote
What is there to think about?  You can't have a site without hosting.  Serving content that causes your host to turn you off means you're done.  No more web site.  I'm a professional nerd but still, this can't be that hard for a layman to understand.  If everyone refuses to connect your computer to the internet, then you don't have a site anymore.  An internet connection is a service with terms and conditions like any other.  You have to play by the rules or they turn you off.

By the way, ff you really do have an answer for this problem you're sitting on what is effectively an infinite supply of money.  Even if you chose to only offer your solution to freedom-oriented organizations, you could make millions of dollars a day.  Immunity from deplatforming is practically priceless.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The didn't promise anything.  They made a statement.  I just would like them to stand by that statement or rescind it.

The worst types of organizations are ones that say one thing and do another.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The didn't promise anything.  They made a statement.  I just would like them to stand by that statement or rescind it.

View Quote
I think they probably didn't realize how that statement would be understood.  They would have done themselves a favor if they spent some time here first understanding the culture, specifically how so many people here don't see this as a gun forum.  Or, they could be amazingly stupid and they really did mean to say their plan was to destroy their business for the sake of a gun forum but it's hard to believe they would have gotten this far if their judgement was that poor.  Honestly it's a bit far fetched to believe their intent here was completely screwing themselves and losing their business so they could help total strangers to make a political statement of questionable effectiveness but I admit I'm a cynic.  They could at least do something that would help, that would be a lot better for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think they probably didn't realize how that statement would be understood. They would have done themselves a favor if they spent some time here first understanding the culture, specifically how so many people here don't see this as a gun forum.  Or, they could be amazingly stupid and they really did mean to say their plan was to destroy their business for the sake of a gun forum but it's hard to believe they would have gotten this far if their judgement was that poor.  Honestly it's a bit far fetched to believe their intent here was completely screwing themselves and losing their business so they could help total strangers to make a political statement of questionable effectiveness but I admit I'm a cynic.  They could at least do something that would help, that would be a lot better for everyone.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they probably didn't realize how that statement would be understood. They would have done themselves a favor if they spent some time here first understanding the culture, specifically how so many people here don't see this as a gun forum.  Or, they could be amazingly stupid and they really did mean to say their plan was to destroy their business for the sake of a gun forum but it's hard to believe they would have gotten this far if their judgement was that poor.  Honestly it's a bit far fetched to believe their intent here was completely screwing themselves and losing their business so they could help total strangers to make a political statement of questionable effectiveness but I admit I'm a cynic.  They could at least do something that would help, that would be a lot better for everyone.  
Oh just fucking stop.

They didn't realize how 'unfiltered pro Constitution" would be understood.

yeah, ok

And on top of that.  I thought Brownell's didn't have anything to do with the change.  Oh wait, nothing's changed.

Pissing down my back and telling me it is raining.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I respected you more before I saw how you act when given power.

I'm disappointed in you, and in myself for having supported you in the past.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

Don't ban me bro
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh just fucking stop.

yeah, ok

And on top of that.  I thought Brownell's didn't have anything to do with the change.  Oh wait, nothing's changed.

View Quote
Okay, fine.  They thought that surely no one would believe that guests would be allowed to burn the house down.  I do understand now that you believe that.  I'm convinced.  I think we should both be satisfied with that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Okay, fine.  They thought that surely no one would believe that guests would be allowed to burn the house down.  I do understand now that you believe that.  I'm convinced.  I think we should both be satisfied with that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh just fucking stop.

yeah, ok

Hmmm, did it burn down before all this?   Because if it did.  I sure didn't notice it.  Why, after over 20 years is all this stuff all the sudden a danger to the site's existence?

History refutes your argument.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hmmm, did it burn down before all this?   Because if it did.  I sure didn't notice it.  Why, after over 20 years is all this stuff all the sudden a danger to the site's existence?

View Quote
You don't need to convince me that this is your web site.  You'll have to convince the owners.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think......  
View Quote
Sure as fuck doesn’t look that way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sure as fuck doesn’t look that way.
View Quote
I'm not the one trying to make a case that I'm entitled to someone else's property just because I really really want it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You don't need to convince me that this is your web site.  You'll have to convince the owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One.   That doesn't make any sense.

Two.  What the hell do you think many of us long timers are doing?  Bitching because it's fun seeing the site we've enjoyed for decades go downhill?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Two.  What the hell do you think many of us long timers are doing?  Bitching because it's fun seeing the site we've enjoyed for decades go downhill?
View Quote
You don't have a solution is my point.  You're trying to convince them to destroy their business.  Tell me how you plan for them to do what you want and continue to stay in business.  You don't have an answer, or you would have plainly stated it by now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I respected you more before I saw how you act when given power.

I'm disappointed in you, and in myself for having supported you in the past.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You don't have a solution is my point.  You're trying to convince them to destroy their business.  Tell me how you plan for them to do what you want and continue to stay in business.  You don't have an answer, or you would have plainly stated it by now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the solution is to risk being bold and unfiltered in 2nd Amendment advocacy, before guns are so tightly regulated as to render the whole point of owning the forum (selling gun stuff) moot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#46]
The site Mods all get bitchin' scooters?   I was wondering where all those membership $'s went
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Good talk. Can we have Sylvan back now?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Maybe the solution is to risk be bold and unfiltered in 2nd Amendment advocacy before guns are so tightly regulated as to render the whole point of owning the forum (selling gun stuff) moot.
View Quote
Your solution is to tell someone else to take risks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top