User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only thing I take issue with is "the coc is easy to understand."

I used to think that. Now we lock threads Staff is participating in or threads that duplicate posts Staff made in the past.
View Quote
This.
Bit of a mixed signal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
When guys have to deal with a hundred assholes a day that have an attitude. Being polite, admitting your mistake and apologizing goes a long way.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
How much of the sight resources were wasted in the making of the post?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
All those words yet Sylvan is still banned while the leftist assclown twins roam free.

That’s the thing about a martyr. All the words in the dictionary can’t be twisted enough to make it right.

First they came for the Sylvans, but I wasn’t one...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All those words yet Sylvan is still banned while the leftist assclown twins roam free.

That's the thing about a martyr. All the words in the dictionary can't be twisted enough to make it right.

First they came for the Sylvans, but I wasn't one...
View Quote
he's just locked from gd not banned
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been around the site for a while. I managed to get a perma-ban under my belt (no, we won't go there) - let's just say that it wasn't justified, and it took a while but  it was reversed.
Apart from that, I mostly think the mods have got things right. But they are only human, and sometimes I haven't agreed with some decisions, even when I knew most of the facts. But honestly, that has been rare.

People in general, not just here (and myself included) are much less tolerant than they were. That comes from the general breakdown that we are seeing at all levels in our society.
My own opinion is that it is driven by purposeful intolerance. I have no idea what the ultimate aim is, but I can see where things are going.

The problem isn't the new owners. I don't think I have noticed any real difference, and I don't expect there to be for quite a while. They know enough not to acquire something and destroy it by jumping in with both feet making drastic changes.

The Mods haven't really changed. They are the same fallible humans as always, but they try to be more. Kudos for that.

Membership has changed. There are many more members than there were. Not all come here with good intentions. Not all have any real interest in firearms.

This is not a new phenomenon. I am old enough to have used the Internet before it was the Internet.
I remember the problems when AOL opened it up to the hoards of "idiots" (and a lot of them were). It sorts itself out, but it's never the same place.
As the saying goes: "Resistance is futile". All you can do is go with the flow, and maybe try to direct it a little.

This is an interesting community. There are left-wing loons. There are also right-wing loons, with ideas that would be quite at home with the worst aspects of Islam.
I doubt that anyone will ever control those extremes. All you can hope for is that they are kept in line - and the Mods to (IMHO) a fine job of that most of the time.
Maybe you don't want to bring them into line. Its the extreme variety that you find here that makes this place what it is. But when it extends into abuse, there is no choice.

Just remember the basic rule: You can believe what you want. You can say what you want, but don't let either of those intrude on the rights of others, or their beliefs, and above all, never directly abuse anyone else, no matter how much YOU might think they need it. (They don't).

Keep pushing the envelope, and the rules will grow to contain you.
Soon, you will find all you can really do here will be to post pictures of cats.
Don't want rules? Don't force people into implementing them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You've got 20 years of culture here, and in a blink it was sold to brownells then caved to feels from Amazon.

Yea, so people be upset.

View Quote
I think a poster above says he has never been to Team. Today is only the second time I've checked it out. This to see what the OP was talking about. And I found what I was afraid I might.

It was not at all hard to read between the lines of some of the posts in that thread about heavy-handed Moderation.

One of the posts in that thread reads something like "the Avilas were not looking to sell the Forum, and Brownells was not looking to buy a Forum".

I do not think it happened that the Avila family up and decided one day that they were going to sell out, cash out, and git while the gittin's good.

Maybe you know that, already. Maybe not.

My intent would never be to give you a bad time. I just think it's important that people know that the Avila family didn't just up and sell-out their ARFCOM family.

You didn't say they sold-out. You said the forum was sold. I understand that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Show me on the doll where the other mods touched you...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That stick is planted really deep
View Quote
It's a shame that a desire for people to act like adults is seen as a stick being buried too deep.
I think that too many people don't know how act in a civil manner, and that is reflected in their posting styles
edit for spelling because posting from my phone sucks
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I honestly believe that tempters are high here for a number of reasons. Politics, the changing in user age demographics, the constant assault on the 2nd Amendment, the paranoia of Social Media and how it is being used in Red Flag Laws, the change in Ownership due to a topic that is being kept in Team GD, and a whole bunch of other shit.

I can honestly say that my limited experience as a Mod here really has shown me how hard it is to make everyone happy. It is impossible. TBS and the rest of the Site Staff has really wanted to clean up GD and the website as a whole. But it can't be a heavy handed approach. It is a fine balancing act. The problem is, differing opinions are just that.

What some think the problem is of trolling in reality is someone else having a differing opinion. When some here think this is a Pro Trump site gets all pissy when someone else have a criticism of the President they accuse others of being Never Trumpers. The same can be said with the Pro/Anti LE discussions. I'm for legit criticism of cops when they fuck up. Just as I am about the military and government as a whole. But we draw sides and just beat each other to death over stupid shit.

The biggest issue is that fact that since people bitch, instead of follow the rules (like if a Mod takes action and the member believes it wasn't warranted, bring in Site Staff for review) they just add fuel to the fire and bitch. Seriously, if you feel a Mod did something you don't agree with. Contact the Mod and discuss it or contact Site Staff. They'll review it and if need be smack the Mod and say "No, bad Mod" if it is a legit fuck up on the Mod.

Another issue is that the community shouldn't be and isn't based simply on the most popular members get a pass at shit and for a bit, it kinda happened. And now that the rules are being applied more across the board. Shit is getting warnings for something that originally would have been swept under the rug. But that comes back to people taking shit way to seriously on some stuff.

I can also tell you this.

It honestly is pretty hard to be permanently banned from here and even then, most are allowed to come back. I was banned for stupid shit and allowed to come back after I apologized and agreed to follow the rules, which honestly I try. I don't want to have issues with other members here. Even the ones I don't always agree with. Because guess what.... I do agree with them on other shit.

I firmly believe this is a great place and it still could be in the future. But I think people are taking things way too seriously. (Myself included sometimes, again...  emotional investment in certain topics, stress from daily life, etc. None ofnus are immune from it.)

Look, I ain't perfect. I sure as shit known that. We all have fucked up here. Arfcom is a great community with a great group of folks. We all have our own personal shit to deal with outside of Arfcom. Kids, jobs, debt, family, health, etc....  sometimes, that shit bleeds over here.

The CoC is pretty easy to understand and follow. Additionally, I think we all need to take a deep breath, Members Mods, Staff, etc.... take a deep breath. Arfcom is a hell of a community that has given me some great friends that I've had the pleasure of meeting in person at NRAAM, SHOT, Cola Warrior, the Retro Shoot, and just across daily life.

So let's all chill the fuck out. We all fuck up, we all get heated, we all get emotionally invested in shit, etc....

And yes, I'm a Waste of Site Resources and so is this Thread.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Less rules and more freedom is always better than the opposite.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Some people live for poking the bear.. it's their nature.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a shake that a desire for people to act like adults is seen as a stick being buried too deep.
I think that too many people don't know how act in a civil manner, and that is reflected in their posting styles
View Quote
* throws a poop at you
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is not a community I wish to be part of.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have been around the site for a while. I managed to get a perma-ban under my belt (no, we won't go there) - let's just say that it wasn't justified, and it took a while but  it was reversed.
Apart from that, I mostly think the mods have got things right. But they are only human, and sometimes I haven't agreed with some decisions, even when I knew most of the facts. But honestly, that has been rare.

People in general, not just here (and myself included) are much less tolerant than they were. That comes from the general breakdown that we are seeing at all levels in our society.
My own opinion is that it is driven by purposeful intolerance. I have no idea what the ultimate aim is, but I can see where things are going.

The problem isn't the new owners. I don't think I have noticed any real difference, and I don't expect there to be for quite a while. They know enough not to acquire something and destroy it by jumping in with both feet making drastic changes.

The Mods haven't really changed. They are the same fallible humans as always, but they try to be more. Kudos for that.

Membership has changed. There are many more members than there were. Not all come here with good intentions. Not all have any real interest in firearms.

This is not a new phenomenon. I am old enough to have used the Internet before it was the Internet.
I remember the problems when AOL opened it up to the hoards of "idiots" (and a lot of them were). It sorts itself out, but it's never the same place.
As the saying goes: "Resistance is futile". All you can do is go with the flow, and maybe try to direct it a little.

This is an interesting community. There are left-wing loons. There are also right-wing loons, with ideas that would be quite at home with the worst aspects of Islam.
I doubt that anyone will ever control those extremes. All you can hope for is that they are kept in line - and the Mods to (IMHO) a fine job of that most of the time.
Maybe you don't want to bring them into line. Its the extreme variety that you find here that makes this place what it is. But when it extends into abuse, there is no choice.

Just remember the basic rule: You can believe what you want. You can say what you want, but don't let either of those intrude on the rights of others, or their beliefs, and above all, never directly abuse anyone else, no matter how much YOU might think they need it. (They don't).

Keep pushing the envelope, and the rules will grow to contain you.
Soon, you will find all you can really do here will be to post pictures of cats.
Don't want rules? Don't force people into implementing them.
View Quote
Sure sometimes people have a bad day or too much to drink but I really can't say I've seen members really attacking other members in a very personal or extreme way. That has never been tolerated.

There have always been trolls that just try to start shit and skirt the coc but many are gone now and we're still having these threads wondering WTF is happening to the site?

There is a definite push to "clean things up" and it's not the membership that's changing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the thing about a martyr. All the words in the dictionary can't be twisted enough to make it right.

First they came for the Sylvans, but I wasn't one...
The multitude of Sylvannified avatars of prolific GD posters show that to be irrelevant.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I listened to some former NFL players talk about refereeing ruining their game, specifically instant replay.  Sounded exactly like GD.

How is the game better for having reviews of plays?.  It isn’t. It’s an illusion.   Moderators here should be able to do what they’re allowed to do until they quit or are fired.  And Staff can intervene any way that they are allowed to by owners.

Watching MLB you see strikes called ball, balls called strikes...all night long.  Watching the NBA you see traveling, palming the ball and hundreds of judgement calls, charging or blocking?...all night long.

So judgement calls it is.  COC is helpful but can never cover every disruptive or harmful behavior.  I don’t see any possibility here that enforcement won’t be lax.....or over the top.  There is no winning in GD.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The multitude of Sylvannified avatars of prolific GD posters show that to be irrelevant.
View Quote
"I am Spartacus"
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's a shake that a desire for people to act like adults is seen as a stick being buried too deep.
View Quote
Or it's that people have to act in a civilized manner to people all day and really care what some random guy on the internet thinks?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Breaking news , Minister of obsolescent ammunition urges radical gd sepertists to end their protests against the Brownells people's party

Seriously though that thread should have not been locked but you never know one day if they will go after people on fourms that advocate non compliance of state bans in the same manner as the recent atn-itar data grab, so I think there's a valid reason for the perhaps overzealous moderation of late.

About cleaning up gd, that would remove the whole point of having anything outside of tech fourms. Might as well go sit in the crusty old thehighroad and listen to the fuds whine
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Or it's that people have to act in a civilized manner to people all day and really care what some random guy on the internet thinks?
View Quote
I care what you think .
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you cannot handle GD, why do you come here? You regularly bitch in these threads about juvenile behavior in GD, not realizing that that is GD's purpose  for people to relax, let their hair down, be silly, and have fun, SO THEY DON'T DO IT ACROSS THE ENTIRE SITE.

You have Team and BOTS as safe spaces.  Go spend your time there where our antics won't torque you off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But what really needs to be cleaned up and why?

As a whole the site was great.

There was the occasional member that took things a bit too far and it was dealt with.

So much is lost to the current PC culture and this is becoming just another example....
The juvenile stuff needs to go, for starters.
If you cannot handle GD, why do you come here? You regularly bitch in these threads about juvenile behavior in GD, not realizing that that is GD's purpose  for people to relax, let their hair down, be silly, and have fun, SO THEY DON'T DO IT ACROSS THE ENTIRE SITE.

You have Team and BOTS as safe spaces.  Go spend your time there where our antics won't torque you off.
He just needs to run some CCW permit holder's SNs and he'll feel better
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't give a shit about that. I didn't join until after the ban expired when my interest in ARs piqued.  I'm not going back to the old ways now. Me and half the members would peace out.
View Quote
And therein lies some of the generational difference; there's an entire generation of gun owners who are too young to have a personal memory of what those ten years are like, and who don't live in a state with a state level ban that's currently in effect. Its like speaking Greek to them....and I think its reflected in their posting style in general.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I listened to some former NFL players talk about refereeing ruining their game, specifically instant replay.  Sounded exactly like GD.

How is the game better for having reviews of plays?.  It isn't. It's an illusion.   Moderators here should be able to do what they're allowed to do until they quit or are fired.  And Staff can intervene any way that they are allowed to by owners.

Watching MLB you see strikes called ball, balls called strikes...all night long.  Watching the NBA you see traveling, palming the ball and hundreds of judgement calls, charging or blocking?...all night long.

So judgement calls it is.  COC is helpful but can never cover every disruptive or harmful behavior.  I don't see any possibility here that enforcement won't be lax.....or over the top.  There is no winning in GD.
View Quote
"Zero tolerance" is a libtard ideal and is why kids are suspended over frickin pop tarts and finger pointing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think a lot of that is because it's one of the few places we have left. You can't be a conservative on social media without fear of getting banned, deplatformed, or demonetized. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, you name it, the left wing censors are out to stifle conservative speech and conservative thought.  

So we come here--the "home of the evil black rifle"--to find other freedom-minded people. It's all we have. Sure, we can have small-scale discussions with friends and family on Whatsapp, but this is on of the only places where there are thousands of us in together.

And now, we're starting to see the same heavy-handed moderation here that we get everywhere else. It's disconcerting. Nobody wants ar15.com to turn into Facebook, where you just can't discuss certain points of view.  And nobody wants it to turn into TheHighRoad, where you can't talk to anybody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I firmly believe this is a great place and it still could be in the future. But I think people are taking things way too seriously. (Myself included sometimes, again...  emotional investment in certain topics, stress from daily life, etc. None ofnus are immune from it.)
I think a lot of that is because it's one of the few places we have left. You can't be a conservative on social media without fear of getting banned, deplatformed, or demonetized. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, you name it, the left wing censors are out to stifle conservative speech and conservative thought.  

So we come here--the "home of the evil black rifle"--to find other freedom-minded people. It's all we have. Sure, we can have small-scale discussions with friends and family on Whatsapp, but this is on of the only places where there are thousands of us in together.

And now, we're starting to see the same heavy-handed moderation here that we get everywhere else. It's disconcerting. Nobody wants ar15.com to turn into Facebook, where you just can't discuss certain points of view.  And nobody wants it to turn into TheHighRoad, where you can't talk to anybody.
You can have conservative viewpoints on social media. A majority of my friends on social media are pro-2A and constantly posting pictures of their new gun setups, hunting trips, Conservative comments on current political issues, etc..

But guess what? They also don't post edgelord 4Chan style shitposting. That's the difference.

If you act like an adult, you'll have no issues on social media. If you act like a 14 year old trolling about throwing people from helicopters or other stupid edgy shit, then yeah, you'll probably get in trouble.

It's really not that hard. Just act like an adult.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
TBS and the rest of the Site Staff has really wanted to clean up GD and the website as a whole.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I care what you think .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I care what you think .
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You can have conservative viewpoints on social media. A majority of my friends on social media are pro-2A and constantly posting pictures of their new gun setups, hunting trips, Conservative comments on current political issues, etc..
View Quote
Your friends are posting that stuff to their other friends or topic friendly pages.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think a lot of that is because it's one of the few places we have left.  You can't be a conservative on social media without fear of getting banned, deplatformed, or demonetized. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, you name it, the left wing censors are out to stifle conservative speech and conservative thought.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think a lot of that is because it's one of the few places we have left.  You can't be a conservative on social media without fear of getting banned, deplatformed, or demonetized. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, you name it, the left wing censors are out to stifle conservative speech and conservative thought.

Well said.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But guess what? They also don't post edgelord 4Chan style shitposting. That's the difference.

If you act like an adult, you'll have no issues on social media. If you act like a 14 year old trolling about throwing people from helicopters or other stupid edgy shit, then yeah, you'll probably get in trouble.

It's really not that hard. Just act like an adult.
View Quote
I don't even own a helicopter
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#32]
TLDR.

IBTL.

RAGRETS.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#33]
You are not using your resources efficiently, reported
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

"I am Spartacus"
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
No offense, modding doesn't suit you.  I mean that in a respectful way.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Put the shovel down
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sure sometimes people have a bad day or too much to drink but I really can't say I've seen members really attacking other members in a very personal or extreme way. That has never been tolerated.
View Quote
I certainly see it. There are way more insults than are necessary for people who are simply discussing an issue
I don't know if its some peoples default way of communicating with others.
Absolutely they shouldn't be posting while intoxicated; that's never a good idea and can often end up with someone in trouble
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No offense, modding doesn't suit you.  I mean that in a respectful way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#40]
What I heard: "blah, blah, Brownell's blah.

IMO, in this environment, only the tone-deafest of mods would post a sympathy-seeking thread in GD.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't like it, stay in the tech forums or Team.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For saying stupid shit in the religious subforum when I thought I was in GD.
View Quote
You can do that in GD?

Why in the hell did I get banned then?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You are not using your resources efficiently, reported
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I certainly see it. There are way more insults than are necessary for people who are simply discussing an issue
I don't know if its some peoples default way of communicating with others.
Absolutely they shouldn't be posting while intoxicated; that's never a good idea and can often end up with someone in trouble
View Quote
Well from your other posts your ideas of insulting probably aren't the same as mine.

If this is how you are on the internet people must have to walk on eggshells around you in person...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But what really needs to be cleaned up and why?

As a whole the site was great.

There was the occasional member that took things a bit too far and it was dealt with.

So much is lost to the current PC culture and this is becoming just another example....
Define that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@tc556guy

Here is what you seek.
View Quote
Why does civil discourse have to be buried in one area of the forum?
Why can't people treat others the way THEY would want to be treated?
Some of you guys could work on that concept.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I was tarded once and wanted to be a mod.  Thank got OP became a mod because if I had made it, everyone would be mad a me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top