Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/27/2019 3:31:49 PM EDT
Do-gooders everywhere think they're helping by making a country that produces, on a global scale, next to zero plastic ocean waste eliminate straws, plastic bags, and a bunch of other things that make our lives convenient.

The reason is often cited as the "garbage patches" in the oceans. Do you know why there are next to no pictures of these patches?

They are defined as having high concentrations of plastics, the vast majority of which are already broken down and suspended below the surface. You might think of floating masses of milk jugs, but that's far from the truth. The vast majority of these patches aren't even visible or even detectable without water sampling.

The next time you hear a liberal spout off about this ask if they know what they actually are.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably garbage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny thing is as far as I read they are mostly the result of recycling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Mostly fishing takle and lost ocean shipments.

Still, plastic trees were getting silly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
They're all full of shit, most of the man made debris in the oceans is from the fishing industry, the rest of the "shit" is from third world countries. Fuck'em, they lie!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
We've been selling our baled plastic to China for some time. We don't have the recycling capacity to reuse it all. Apparently the Chicoms are out of money, or capacity, and they're dumping our plastic in the drink. At least that's the rumor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Some kid knocked on my door recently asking me to sign a petition to ban styrofoam.

"No.  Don't like it, don't buy it. Banning that will accomplish absolutely nothing positive."

His reaction showed me my opinion wasn't popular and I'll be voting on this soon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Asia's fault... mostly
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Better still tell them to fuck off after telling them this

Just 10 rivers are carrying 90% of the plastic entering the oceans, a study has found.

Two of them are in Africa - the Nile and the Niger - while the others are in Asia: the Indus, Ganges, Amur, Mekong, Pearl, Hai he, Yellow and Yangtze.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, there are large patches where boats go through fields of debris.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know what those garbage islands are made of, but I bet the dorado and yellowtail fishing off of them is phenomenal. If anyone has the coordinates?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a good article from Nature:

Link

A couple points:

Over three-quarters of the GPGP mass was carried by debris larger than 5?cm and at least 46% was comprised of fishing nets. Microplastics accounted for 8% of the total mass but 94% of the estimated 1.8 (1.1–3.6) trillion pieces floating in the area.
View Quote
To the OP's point:

Most available data on quantities and characteristics of buoyant ocean plastic are derived from samples collected with small sea surface trawls initially developed to collect neustonic plankton. Due to their small aperture (0.5–1?m width, 0.15–1?m depth) and limited surface area covered, they could underestimate loads of rarer and larger plastic objects such as bottles, buoys and fishing nets. In an attempt to overcome this misrepresentation, a research team combined net tow data with information from vessel-based visual sighting surveys. They found that while small, millimetre-sized pieces (<4.75?mm) count in trillions at global scale, they only represent a small mass portion (13%) of the total available buoyant material. Nevertheless, vessel-based sightings data yielded high uncertainties due to differences in survey protocols across research groups and difficulties in estimating the mass of sighted objects.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I know what they are:  A convenient method for extracting vast amounts of guilt-money from either: a:) gullible overly-sensitive idiots who are afraid to stand up to eco-extortion, b:) sheep who are overly-anxious to throw away their other peoples' money in an effort to show how woke they are.

What do I win?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Went fishing in the ocean this weekend.
Pulled a gallon jug out, used to hold hydraulic fluid.
Lots of trash out there, pick it up if you see it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]
This pisses me off.

I am a firm believer that man was put on this earth to make plastics.  Lots of it.    I believe that a future,  super species will develop, and depend on, all the discarded plastics mankind has produced.

Denying the earth plastic is retarding evolution.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
But what will the turtles choke on if there are no plastic bags?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like it's still garbage, in patches.

Just because it's not visible from the surface, it doesn't matter/exist? I'd rather it not be there at all, all things being equal. We need it to be healthy.

Having said that, our ecotards haven't brought up one good idea because 90% of this shit is probably fishing gear or dumped from Asian countries. Banning the stuff we use the most isn't gonna fix things how they want.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do-gooders everywhere think they're helping by making a country that produces, on a global scale, next to zero plastic ocean waste eliminate straws, plastic bags, and a bunch of other things that make our lives convenient.

The reason is often cited as the "garbage patches" in the oceans. Do you know why there are next to no pictures of these patches?

They are defined as having high concentrations of plastics, the vast majority of which are already broken down and suspended below the surface. You might think of floating masses of milk jugs, but that's far from the truth. The vast majority of these patches aren't even visible or even detectable without water sampling.

The next time you hear a liberal spout off about this ask if they know what they actually are.
View Quote
I was reading about them a few days ago. I was shocked to hear how they resemble nothing like what the media tells us they are.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
OP have you searched for “ocean garbage patch”? there are photos.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
That and turd world countries dumping their trash into streams and ocean.

America has almost zero contribution to these trash islands
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, it's CBS.....

Saw this replayed on Sunday....need all access, but has transcript....tl;dr
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#21]
The size of Rhode Island. When trying to shock people into thinking something is catastrophic, it's always the size of Rhode Island.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
The garbage patches are consist mostly of plastic particulate that float at or near the ocean surface.

The problem is animals all the way from plankton up the food web consume the plastic micro-particles and get sick and die with their bellies full of plastic instead of actual food.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The size of Rhode Island. When trying to shock people into thinking something is catastrophic, it's always the size of Rhode Island.
View Quote
So just one healthy  nuke ought to fix it then
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Great Pacific Garbage Patch (300 miles long)

I mean, the oceans are filthy.  I've seen swaths of sewage and debris in the middle of nowhere.  We've been shit stewards of the Earth even if there are no massive islands of plastic populated by naked bag ladies in plastic tree hula skirts with breasts that point down we should work to clean up our act.  In this case, literally, for the chilluns.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fscottsnowden%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F05%2FGreatPacificGarbagePatch.jpg

I mean, the oceans are filthy.  I've seen swaths of sewage and debris in the middle of nowhere.  We've been shit stewards of the Earth even if there are no massive islands of plastic populated by naked bag ladies in plastic tree hula skirts with breasts that point down we should work to clean up our act.  In this case, literally, for the chilluns.
View Quote
That nice picture of the middle of the pacific didn't quite capture the pacific mountains and the great pacific plateau.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fscottsnowden%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F05%2FGreatPacificGarbagePatch.jpg

View Quote
Fine. China, India and Africa first.

Once those countries carry the bulk of the load, then we can focus in the tiny single digit trash producing countries.

Deal?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Funny how the pictures are never satellite pictures and always exaggerated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Everything came from the earth, we've just arranged the elements into different forms.  I can't say I'm worried about this or much else
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This pisses me off.

I am a firm believer that man was put on this earth to make plastics.  Lots of it.    I believe that a future,  super species will develop, and depend on, all the discarded plastics mankind has produced.

View Quote
George Carlin: The Universe Wanted Plastic
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh I doubt it would even take that, my home county is bigger than Rhode Island...
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP have you searched for "ocean garbage patch"? there are photos.
Sadly, it's this type of attitude that makes countries like India, look like, well......India.

not a tree hugger by any means. I just don't like seeing this type of shit all over the place from someones snack or drink, that took them 10 seconds to consume and now we'll see it for years after.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who’s going to task a satellite to the middle of the ocean for some pics?

I am no hippie; but we do need to be good stewards of the planet. This is all humans, not just us in the US.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This pisses me off.

View Quote
LOL!...cue up that scene from the movie "The Graduate".  It's the future.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Out of Texas, there is tons of trash in the water.  A significant portion of it is plastics.  Go to any decent rip, and its easy to see the plastics, garbage, and trash assembled by the currents.

You can see the same thing on many of the relatively "wild" Texas beaches.

You can even see the same thing in the bayou just outside my office.  Tons of trash washed off the streets and heading downstream to the bay.  They are pulling 700 to 900 bags of trash each week just out of that sad little bayou.  Round numbers, 60 cubic feet of trash per week.

Irrespective of what they might do in India or Africa, we need to be better stewards of our own waters.  I'd suggest we should work on the things we can control as the first priority.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I've seen garbage patches you people wouldn't believe. Trash on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched Coors bottles glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Bras thrown away by Feminists in the 1970's?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought this was pretty cool.

Doesn't really have anything to do with the thread other than crap in the ocean, but hey.

Sailing through Pumice near VaVa’u
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't like China and India dumping piles of plastic in the ocean.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I know a lot of it is from California. We have so many dumps at least in the Bay Area that are essentially next to the bay. Wind drags it out and it saves Pelosi money to launder somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
But what will the turtles choke on if there are no plastic bags?
View Quote
I like turtles.   Still lol'd.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Went fishing in the ocean this weekend.
Pulled a gallon jug out, used to hold hydraulic fluid.
Lots of trash out there, pick it up if you see it.
View Quote
This. I pick up way more trash in the rivers, springs, and the Gulf than I ever have on the side of the road (volunteer work, nimrods) or on my own street from people throwing it out the window of their cars.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#43]
How I learned to stop worrying and love the garbage patch: Miriam Goldstein at TEDxOslo 2013
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#44]
We covered this in my environmental science class last year.  There is no giant raft of trash.  There is trash, but most of it is from commercial fishing.  There is a piece here and there. The bigger problem is the increasing level of microplastics in the water.  Micro beads are used in soaps and cosmetics as mild abrasives.  It is bad when they enter the food chain.

According to reliable sources, the 9 or 10 worse sources for plastics are rivers in Asia and Africa.  If the US were to release zero plastic waste in the oceans, it would reduce the total amount by less than 2%.

Not bad for the world's largest economy.

The USA is not the bad guy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Think of all the stuff that used to be made out of wood that is now plastic. Plastics have saved more trees than any material. Most of that stuff floating around is coming from 3rd world countries so lets ban plastics in the western countries.

Its sort of like Co2 emissions and curtailing their output in Western countries while allowing them in the worst polluters like China and India to continue.

Those who say they want to fix these problems really don't, they want power and taxes, nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I want a ocean garbage (morale) patch...
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I think we really need to go back to glass bottles.

And burn all plastic trash.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Just ask for a photograph of the “floating mass of garbage”.

It’s usually a photo from Manila bay or Indonesia somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sadly, it's this type of attitude that makes countries like India, look like, well......India.

not a tree hugger by any means. I just don't like seeing this type of shit all over the place from someones snack or drink, that took them 10 seconds to consume and now we'll see it for years after.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP have you searched for "ocean garbage patch"? there are photos.

I feel compelled to chop down a tree now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top