Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2019 3:42:03 PM EDT
So my mom has a hundred or more of those painted plates from Bradford Exchange sitting in original boxes in her basement.  These were all purchased by my grandmother who had a bad habit purchasing these things thinking they could be worth something...

We've tried to catalog them and sell them without luck.  My mom is thinking of donating them which I'm fine with BUT we're looking for suggested organizations that would take them and hopefully be able to get some money out of them and help others with the funds.

Location is Northwest Indiana if that matters for any suggestions, thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Any skeet ranges nearby?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any skeet ranges nearby?  
View Quote
Pull!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Serious reply - other than Goodwill or Salvation Army maybe check if there's any other thrift stores in the area.  I know there are several in my AO that are run by charitable groups.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Drop them off at the local Salvation Army store.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Line them up and see how many it takes to stop a bullet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Conner Prairie Museum in Fishers, IN?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be surprised if there is a secondary market for them.  I'd offer them up in a single bundled sale for almost anything someone would offer...and if I didn't have any takers, I'd put them by the curb.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
if you know someone that likes to sell stuff on ebay for fun, give the plates to them and split the profit.  it helps their seller rating.  we did that with inherited china and utensils and it worked out well.  good luck..
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Throw a party and invite 100 friends over

Use those plates
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah blowing them to bits would be fun.  And i agree they are probably worth little and a were horrible purchase.

BUT my grandparents were hard working, blue collar, giving people so we'd rather these go somewhere to get some money, even if just a little, to a charity rather than destroy or throw them away.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Donate them to a local humane society thrift shop.  Crazy cat women love those things.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Every time I walk into my parents house there are hundreds of Hummel eyes staring at me.   They are absolutely worthless and one day they will end up at the Salvation Army or in a dumpster.   Good ole baby boomers!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Grandpa got caught up in buying those in the 1980's.  Paid $25-30 each for them.  Can't give them away today.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Take out some frustrations by smashing them
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Give them to Goodwill Industries.

My mom bought Hummel figurines over the course of 30-40 years, assured they would be worth money. Some were from the 1950s and 1960s. Many of the newer ones still had the $100 and $200 price tags on the bottom.

She told me that I would inherit them someday and that they were worth $6000. I told her they were worthless, which pissed her off.

When she went into the nursing home, I put them all on eBay, where I struggled to get $10.00-15.00 each for them. Some ended up in the trash can.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah blowing them to bits would be fun.  And i agree they are probably worth little and a were horrible purchase.

BUT my grandparents were hard working, blue collar, giving people so we'd rather these go somewhere to get some money, even if just a little, to a charity rather than destroy or throw them away.
View Quote
It is heartbreaking to see family members get sucked into things like that, but the damage is done... and now the question is how much more are you going to invest in them, in terms of your time?

Perhaps each member of your family can pick out one to remember your grandparents by and then donate the rest to a local senior living center or nursing home.  Perhaps they can brighten up their walls or shelves.  Seems like the type of stuff that generation would really appreciate.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
set up a "smash a plate for 5 dollars each" event

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
set up a "smash a plate for 5 dollars each" event
View Quote
Very good idea.  Save any figures for BB gun target practice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It is heartbreaking to see family members get sucked into things like that, but the damage is done... and now the question is how much more are you going to invest in them, in terms of your time?

Perhaps each member of your family can pick out one to remember your grandparents by and then donate the rest to a local senior living center or nursing home.  Perhaps they can brighten up their walls or shelves.  Seems like the type of stuff that generation would really appreciate.

Good luck.
View Quote
Not much family left... mom was an only child and so am I.  I'm pretty sure all my grandparents brothers and sisters are gone as well.

I think mom will probably look at Amvets, Salvation Army, and i'll mention that nursing home idea - that's a pretty good one we hadn't even thought of!

Thanks all
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Run a charity turkey shoot or long range rifle event.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to see them at thrift stores I frequented ~15-years ago. Obviously, I can't speak to if they were donated or sold.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Wrap them up and give them to old ladies in a nursing home this Christmas.

They will still end up in the trash, but hopefully brighten someone's day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Any item that is marketed as a collector's item never will be.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Guess that tattoo was a bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I would use them as dinnerware. It would be a heck of a conversation starter when you have guests over and serve them on those plates.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Ebay
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much do you want for it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Drop them off at the local Salvation Army store.
View Quote
This, good people (mostly) there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any skeet ranges nearby?  
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Every time I walk into my parents house there are hundreds of Hummel eyes staring at me.   They are absolutely worthless and one day they will end up at the Salvation Army or in a dumpster.   Good ole baby boomers!
View Quote
You'd be surprised...………….depending on what it is, some are worth quite a bit of money...……….just depends on what the market is, and who wants them.

If you want to see something that brings serious moolah, look at depression glass
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever the highest “buy it now” price for one is on eBay.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Especially if your buds want to use it for target practice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Once you give up trying to turn old shit into cash, it becomes so much easier to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Have you tried Ebay, I would imagine there are a lot of collectors out there that would snap them up.
Top Top