Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Central heating via steam boilers would probably blow them away.

Knowledge of many medical ailments and their treatment along with disease and prevention.

Really just about any early Industrial Age technology I could recreate with a few competent blacksmiths. Steam engines for example.

Simple electric batteries and electro plating.

Barrel rifling.

Cased primer fired ammunition.

Introduce the concept of mass production and assembly lines.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd introduce HIV so that my generation would be genetically immune...or humanity would cease to exist.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be super unimpressive

Ive been into traditional archery for about a decade and HEMA for about four years.

Odds on the king would say "meh"
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a civil engineer who also has a degree in physics, I think I could muster up something they didn't know.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would depend a very great deal on who you talked to, and what you said, as well as where and when you are located.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would tell the king the locations of the California Gold Rush and the Klondike and Nome deposits along with Africa gold and Diamonds deposits I know of. I would be the single most valuable person on Earth. My only worry would be avoiding syphilis and the plague, but I would soon invent penicillin. I would try to make some vaccines even and introduce modern hygiene. Maybe do water and sewer systems in my spare time.

Whichever country I fell into would soon be the richest on Earth. And the best health also.
The only riches you would ever see in 1600 would be something like this. Until you uttered the magic words : "I confess."

https://www.akg-images.co.uk/Docs/AKG/Media/TR3_WATERMARKED/3/a/f/b/AKG4802317.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4oGAlS-HTXE/WkWEEaY4VLI/AAAAAAAADrQ/18PiBjcISesmgcRi8OSWpviiKpOoNSs8QCLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2017-12-28%2Bat%2B4.39.31%2BPM.png

After you finally confess, they give you a warm welcome before your departure.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/12/83/86/1283864b41a360b5822ef8a28fea00c5--dark-ages-bog.jpg
That would depend a very great deal on who you talked to, and what you said, as well as where and when you are located.
People make the mistake of thinking humanity was literally retarded and incapable of understanding science and technology back then. There were lots of great scientific minds at the time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Trying to introduce future knowledge into the society of that time would mean that more than likely you'd be branded a heretic and burned at the stake.

I'd just try to do something useful with my life like get a job as Antonio Stradivari's apprentice.  And maybe, somewhere along the line, make a few useful "discoveries" in various fields, discoveries that would be plausible as they'd not be too far above the state of knowledge at the time.   Maybe the steam engine....later to be followed by internal combustion.  Magnetism and electricity.  The locomotive and the sewing machine.   The vacuum tube, the diode, and the transistor.  Capacitor, resistor, inductor.    Refining techniques for various metals.  Advancements in chemistry and physics.

You know...the little things.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know because history before 1775 isnt important.

View Quote
History started in 1763. Everything before was a mistake.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Timeline was a great book.  Movie sucked.  Fucking Paul Walker ruins everything he touches...
View Quote
Truth.

Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you know music, you could bring back some catchy tunes and become the composer for the King's Court.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

History started in 1763. Everything before was a mistake.
View Quote
Bushy Run was fought in 1763.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep. American English is closer than British as well. The non-rhotic English pronunciation came in the 18th century. Shakespeare actors are doing it wrong.

Slang and determining common usage aside, it would be easy to communicate with English speakers.

They might tell you "you talk like a fat and your shit's all retarded."
View Quote
I come  from the future, where almost everyone is a fat. It's a walmart thing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you know music, you could bring back some catchy tunes and become the composer for the King's Court.
View Quote
Metallica - One (medieval cover by Stary Olsa) ???????.Live
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I would find a greedy bastard and sneak into his room on a Christmas morning when the clock struck one.

I would tell him, "I am the ghost of Christmases future imperfect conditional! I will show you what would have been going to happen had you not been going to change your ways!"

Then I would throw dog poop on his shoes.

Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sure they'd fire J. S. Bach and hire you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Invent the paperclip?
How about a hole puncher and 3 ring binder?
Pasteurization
Invent the steam engine and then a propellor.  Naval supremacy because of maneuver!

One thing to remember, materials could cost more than the labor involved in making something.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nothing too wild.  Don't want to be accused of witchcraft.

Probably knowledge of modern firearms and munitions, etc.  Warfare shit would make you a valuable man.  Throw in some engine and mechanical knowledge that is easily understood and demonstrated.

After I established my bona fides as a "scientist" I would branch out into medical stuff.  Got to go gradually.
View Quote
This.

Witchcraft was the excuse to get rid of enemies at every level.
One would have to attain a solid grasp of the local politics down to the neighborhoods, before doing a damn thing or helping anyone.

From there on out, demonstrating each "Invention" would have to be tied to Gods inspiration, or you are gonna get Molten lead poured into the ears.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.

Witchcraft was the excuse to get rid of enemies at every level.
One would have to attain a solid grasp of the local politics down to the neighborhoods, before doing a damn thing or helping anyone.

From there on out, demonstrating each "Invention" would have to be tied to Gods inspiration, or you are gonna get Molten lead poured into the ears.
View Quote
Your first plan is to tell a good story. Hope you read a lot, because it's going to be easier from their perspective to just kill you and have done with it. Fast and fancy prevaricating is called for, off the cuff and on the fly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm sure they'd fire J. S. Bach and hire you.
View Quote
Yeah, but I don't know sh*t about music, notes and what not.  I avoided music when I was kid.

I'd bring back Beethoven, Mozart, Verdi, Rossini, Vivaldi, Schubert, Wagner and some marches (Col. Bogey, Field Artillery Song, etc.).
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People make the mistake of thinking humanity was literally retarded and incapable of understanding science and technology back then. There were lots of great scientific minds at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would tell the king the locations of the California Gold Rush and the Klondike and Nome deposits along with Africa gold and Diamonds deposits I know of. I would be the single most valuable person on Earth. My only worry would be avoiding syphilis and the plague, but I would soon invent penicillin. I would try to make some vaccines even and introduce modern hygiene. Maybe do water and sewer systems in my spare time.

Whichever country I fell into would soon be the richest on Earth. And the best health also.
The only riches you would ever see in 1600 would be something like this. Until you uttered the magic words : "I confess."

https://www.akg-images.co.uk/Docs/AKG/Media/TR3_WATERMARKED/3/a/f/b/AKG4802317.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4oGAlS-HTXE/WkWEEaY4VLI/AAAAAAAADrQ/18PiBjcISesmgcRi8OSWpviiKpOoNSs8QCLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2017-12-28%2Bat%2B4.39.31%2BPM.png

After you finally confess, they give you a warm welcome before your departure.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/12/83/86/1283864b41a360b5822ef8a28fea00c5--dark-ages-bog.jpg
Absolutely. And it was also a very hierarchical society, with all the issues that go along with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Captain Jenks Of The Horse Marines is a real song

Rose Wilder Lane was a real badass. Brilliant writer/editor.
Her mother was Laura Ingalls Wilder

The USA was a great country once....
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I’d go hang out with Sir Issac Newton.

I’d be his apprentice. There would be a hard and delicate balance to introduce new ideas and concepts to him without letting him know you know it all.

He was well respected, he could get away with advancements in tech without burning at the stake.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’d go hang out with Sir Issac Newton.

I’d be his apprentice. There would be a hard and delicate balance to introduce new ideas and concepts to him without letting him know you know it all.

He was well respected, he could get away with advancements in tech without burning at the stake.
View Quote
#metoo except Isaac. His work was more significant to history. Issac is a footnote at best.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#24]
The only contribution Issac made is that bull scrotum tobacco pouch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#25]
People would ask him what it was, and he would just say, "Is sac."
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Invent the paperclip?
How about a hole puncher and 3 ring binder?
Pasteurization
Invent the steam engine and then a propellor.  Naval supremacy because of maneuver!

One thing to remember, materials could cost more than the labor involved in making something.
View Quote
I'd have the Spanish or British commission a fleet of first rate ships based off the USS Constitution armed with cap-fired, breech loading rifled guns and arm my crew with 1858 style revolving carbines.  Then I would mutiny from the host nation and rape and pillage the Ottoman coastline, importing silk, spices, and concubines to western nations.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, I wouldn't be able to speak the language.  So there's that.

I'd probably start with some drawings.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'd have the Spanish or British commission a fleet of first rate ships based off the USS Constitution armed with cap-fired, breech loading rifled guns and arm my crew with 1858 style revolving carbines.  Then I would mutiny from the host nation and rape and pillage the Ottoman coastline, importing silk, spices, and concubines to western nations.
View Quote
It seems like the paperclip and hole punchers would be awaiting mass paper availability. Suppose you start with paper, and bring on the clips and binders after that?

I'll leave the metallurgy of 1858 revolving carbines for later, for a number of reasons.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, I wouldn't be able to speak the language.  So there's that.

I'd probably start with some drawings.
View Quote
I'd suggest you start with how to explain how you showed up naked in the forest with nothing first.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Resources? - very little doubt the market could scale

But you're now going about this arguing from capacity - that's no issue at all

The resource constraint is not capacity,, knowledge or technology -  it's value.

Very few women had any resources of their own. Everything a women bought, possessed or had access to was contingent on the approval and oversight of males.

So unless those males saw value - which you as a recent arrival ain't changing, its a non starter. Though for none of the fluctuating rationales you put  forth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was enough resources including total time and equipment to keep women clean shaven everywhere?

The resource constraint is not capacity,, knowledge or technology -  it's value.

Very few women had any resources of their own. Everything a women bought, possessed or had access to was contingent on the approval and oversight of males.

So unless those males saw value - which you as a recent arrival ain't changing, its a non starter. Though for none of the fluctuating rationales you put  forth.
Don't need a razor to be hairless.

Abo people styled hairless designs by plucking.

Mohawks weren't shaved.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Bring back some novels and re-release them as if you were the author.

BTW, books were not cheap back then.  I think a number of us have larger libraries than many people had in the 1600s.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Most people today don't know as much as they think they know; they run to Google, Wiki, etc.
If they're going back in time as naked as Arnold in T2, they'll mostly be viewed as a hysterical rambling overweight moron.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Mohawks weren't shaved.
View Quote
Yep.  The Romans hated body hair and had scrapers to remove it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Mohawks weren't shaved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was enough resources including total time and equipment to keep women clean shaven everywhere?

Mohawks weren't shaved.
Very true - tsocial pressures are serious motivators

Peeps tried pumice and depilatories   like quicklime/arsenic.

Dynastic Egyptians shaved and plucked it all - why I'm pretty sure if the 17th cent wanted to get their universal slick on, they'd been able too
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mohawks weren't shaved.
Males of majority shaved - lack of shaving was derided and seen as undisciplined slovenly. Roman youths didn't and grew beards until their early twenties.  The first shaving was ritualistic and a right of passage

Hygiene was heads  above later Europeans for centuries
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Possibly the best answer in the thread.

If you have a good memory of music and movie quotes you could appear brilliant.

"All we are is dust in the wind, dude".
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Possibly the best answer in the thread.

If you have a good memory of music and movie quotes you could appear brilliant.

"All we are is dust in the wind, dude".
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well they has potassium nitrate and sulfuric acid so I'd make nitric acid, then nitroglycerin and become a dynamite producer.
View Quote
Ever done it?

It's dicey with modern equipment, gages, and heat sources. I can't imagine trying with what they had. Not even an ice bath.

I could build copper drawing dies, then wires, etc but I have no idea how to get magnets to may a motor and generator. No idea of where to get tungsten for a light bulb filament.

My problem is, besides my modern vocation as a toolmaker, most of my hobbies revolve around living history....i.e. learning what they knew back then.

So, I could show them what they already know pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

With what?
View Quote
Razors.  They had them as far back as Rome and Roman women of the upper classes shaved their pubic hair.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ever done it?

It's dicey with modern equipment, gages, and heat sources. I can't imagine trying with what they had. Not even an ice bath.

I could build copper drawing dies, then wires, etc but I have no idea how to get magnets to may a motor and generator. No idea of where to get tungsten for a light bulb filament.

My problem is, besides my modern vocation as a toolmaker, most of my hobbies revolve around living history....i.e. learning what they knew back then.

So, I could show them what they already know pretty well.
View Quote
I think people (some, at least) were aware of the basic concepts of more "modern" technology, but in most cases the chemistry/metallurgy/ other industrial sciences weren't there yet.

I'm sure people back then were, for example, aware that a repeating firearm would be a useful tool.  But without a way to make an effective, mass produced, breech-loading weapon, and precisely produce the ammo, and deal with the powder fouling, etc...it wasn't practical, to the point that consideration of the concept in detail was pointless.

I think if you went back with a steam engine and an AK the question wouldn't be "WTF IS THAT????" (well, maybe at first) but rather "how the fuck did you build that????"
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top