Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/19/2019 6:25:30 PM EDT
I'm a native born Texan, (left when I was a kid) but spent a ton of time in SC when I was stationed at Fort Bragg.. and will either be moving to Texas or SC as my long term home.
I'm torn as to where to go though.

Which is best?
Texas gun laws vs SC gun laws
Texas bbq vs SC bbq
Texas no state tax vs SC property taxes?
both have extremely low gas tax (mostly fed)

I'm torn between the two.
pole incoming
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Texas..SC is a little too Southern for me
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Texas... SC’s bbq blows
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are awesome.  Visit both and pick the one that suits you better.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Like anywhere else, it depends on where you move to.  Both have some serious issues facing them and there are parts of SC that you couldn't pay me to live in just like I turned down a very good offer in Houston.  Pork BBQ beats beef though.  Visit, talk to folks and see what you can live with.  While I think the liberal agenda will eventually take over the US (demographics), I think we'll be a couple of years behind Texas if for no other reason than you have more immigration (illegal and California, etc).
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Lived in both. Chose Texas to live in. I will say that the areas around The base weren’t the best representation of the Carolinas
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are conservative and intend on voting, Texas.

Else, anywhere else.

Texas > all things SC, especially that slop they call bbq
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
SC for me. Love the history and atmosphere of Charleston.  I also prefer the mustard based bbq sauce.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you speak English or Spanish?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If you'll be living at the SC coast or the upstate SC it's a toss up, anywhere else in the state and I say no way in hell would I move to SC.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on where. SC coast is awesome, upstate or Columbia sucks. Conversely greater HOU/Dallas area would be low on my list.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I lived in SC for 16 years before moving to TX in 2012. I feel I have a good bit of time in both states, so IMO:

Slight edge to TX gun laws.
SC bbq is mostly mustard based, which I hate. TX bbq is FAR better. Far better
SC better on taxes. While TX has no state income tax, they rape you on home property taxes, which are about 10x what I was paying in SC. It pretty much negates any advantage by not have state income tax
Gas cost about the same
SC beaches are better as in clearer water, even if they are on the Atlantic side. I've been to TX beaches up and down the coast and they all seem - murky.
Schools - TX is better. No comparison
Job market - TX is light years ahead of SC. Pay-wise too
Housing - you can get good value for your dollar in either state

Between the two, I feel TX is better overall
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Between Texas and SC....

Texas...
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Texas....

Charleston blows.  
<<native charlestonian

Much happier in the upstate. As far as BBQ Goes, imo the sumter area has the best- more vinegar NC based.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The Marshall Tucker Band - Can't You See - 9/10/1973 - Grand Opera House (Official)
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Texas has higher property taxes on average than SC. I'm thinking of retiring somewhere else because of that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Native Texan here.

SC, because it is closer to NC...

I do miss Texas BBQ, but thats it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]
In on this. Because I'm moving in December.

Was thinking Texas.

Now I wanna see the answers first.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm partial to SC....since I've lived here for quite a few years. Coastal SC.

If the career path caused me to look elsewhere, Texas it would be!
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#19]
SC, cause it's just a few miles away and I can't think of anything of consequence to be concerned about off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#21]
SC has less Illegals
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
The answer is always Texas, of course.

ETA: unless you can't stand the heat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Depends on where. SC coast is awesome, upstate or Columbia sucks. Conversely greater HOU/Dallas area would be low on my list.
View Quote
The upstate is where it's at.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Easily SC. Texas blows.

I grew up in SC and lived in the awful San Antonio for a couple years.

Texas has better BBQ, I'll give them that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#25]
South Carolina is full = Texas
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#26]
South Carolina Lowcountry over anywhere in Texas.

Easy decision.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Texas wins for BBQ. Any retard can smoke a pork butt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]
This won’t help you OP, but Texas. The BBQ; pork ribs, brisket and sausage. Also my dad was born and raised here and I have cousins that we hung out together, so the memories are a big part.
Plus Texas fought a sovereign country, with help from some Tennessee Volunteers and won it's independents without help from Washington,D.C. so I love it’s pride and history.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Depending on which part of SC, the cost of living can't be beat. And no matter where you are in the state, your no more than a couple hours from the ocean and a couple hours from the smoky mountains.

My bills are low. And I live a very comfortable lifestyle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
SC has less Illegals
View Quote
There are less people in the entire state of SC than there is in DFW alone...nearly by half.

So, if you were to count everybody in SC as an illegal alien...of course Texas has more. Duhh.

Were you to have qualified your statement by using 'per capita' it wouldn't have sounded nearly as vapid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Which one is tearing down civil war monuments and sending democrats to DC?

Not that one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Wise words OP... everything is bigget in Texas.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I can only speak on SC as a former resident.
Gun laws are pretty good and comparable to most of the "free" states.
The only restrictions that stood out to me was open carry is not allowed and requires a class (exam + shooting test) to get a CWP.

And stay away from Columbia. Except PSA.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I want to say Texas, but we're getting overrun with illegals.  It's really getting out of hand.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Native Texan that has lived in SC since 2011. I always thought I’d die in TX but I don’t think I’ll ever move back. I’m not a beach person so I prefer the upstate due to its proximity to the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#36]
South Carolina barbecue being mostly mustard based really isn’t true. I’ve never been anywhere that had strictly mustard. Just about every place I’ve been will have the meat with no sauce on it all along with some that might already have sauce in it. The sauces are usually on the table in bottles. Plus, the stuff started here so whatever else Texas does cant even claim to be barbecue. Damn I have just started loving  brisket though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#38]
My 200 acres in SC. I’m biased.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Texas has higher property taxes on average than SC. I'm thinking of retiring somewhere else because of that.
View Quote
Is that the only criteria?  Have you looked at yearly vehicle registration costs? ($360 for a 12k bike), housing costs, food, utilities, you know, everything that isnt the property tax on your house.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Lived in SC for 5 1/2 years down towards HHI and while it an get hot (humidity is a MF'er) I enjoyed it very much.  Close to the beach, Charleston for the day, or down to old Town Savannah.  Only been to Texas on business.  It was ok but I'm not a big city person.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Easily SC. Texas blows.

I grew up in SC and lived in the awful San Antonio for a couple years.

Texas has better BBQ, I'll give them that.
View Quote
Well there it is. Grew up there vs lived at a base for a couple years.  It's settled
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Bunch of stupid fucking statements in this thread. First off, BBQ is like blow jobs.  Ain’t none bad, just different.  
Columbia isn’t as bad as Live PD makes it out to be.   But it is as boring as hell unless you’re into college sports.  Got a few nice lakes 25-30 miles around Columbia.  Hot as shit in the summer.  1.5 hr up or down I-26 will have you at the beach or the mountains.  I drive 3 hrs and I’m in Myrtle Beach.  Here right now.   There are hideaways you can rent in NMB that is nothing like the shit in the fake news press.  
Gun laws are very pro for gun owners, but with any urban area, city of Columbia has come up with some stupid shit yet to be challenged in court.  
Charleston area is way over crowded.  Grew up in that area.  Don’t recognize it anymore.

Upstate is really nice.  Very conservative.  
Can’t speak for TX.  Never been there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wise words OP... everything is bigget in Texas.
View Quote
Including the hate pouring in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Everything in SC sucks anyway, especially the upstate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is that the only criteria?  Have you looked at yearly vehicle registration costs? ($360 for a 12k bike), housing costs, food, utilities, you know, everything that isnt the property tax on your house.
View Quote
SC is by far the cheaper place to live. Everything in my driveway is $16/yr. for tabs. Power, gas, milk, housing, everything is dirt cheap here.

There are lots of nice places and a lot of not so nice places in SC, and it isn't always obvious to an outsider which are which. A lot of rural shitholes in the south, for instance, it's different than other places.

Richland County (Columbia) does indeed suck, but Lexington County doesn't. I wouldn't mind living up near Greenville or near the coast at all.

Either way, it's tough to do much outside in the summer without a pool.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#46]
SC sucks and we’re all full. Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Any retard can smoke a pork butt.
View Quote
I guess that's why there's so much great pork BBQ and so much shitty brisket
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Texas because....Reasons.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
SC, cause it's just a few miles away and I can't think of anything of consequence to be concerned about off the top of my head.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
x87
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top