Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming they do all that off camera, like the inspections, loans, and 40 other houses they looked at.

I'm always amazed at what is missed on the buy it then fix it up shows though. Electrical panel is fucked, termite damage, roof is falling apart, etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty sure it was.  I think Mike Holmes is Canadian.  I always liked how he pointed out the short cuts and other things that his crew had to fix.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of those shows were garbage.

But I loved Holmes on Homes. He did check the electrical panel.
That wasn’t a bad show. Was it filmed in Canada?
Pretty sure it was.  I think Mike Holmes is Canadian.  I always liked how he pointed out the short cuts and other things that his crew had to fix.
It was Canadian. I loved that show. It was the only one of those I would watch.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And showing that on TV would appeal to their target audience?
View Quote
I think they should show the closing unedited and commercial-free.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I promise you they do. They don't on camera but they do. They know everything about the property minus the unknowns.

You can run a tub for 5 minutes to check for drainage but its the 7th minute that gets you.

You can flush a toilet 15 times but the 20th is the one where you figure out that the sanitary sewer is clogged or not even hooked up to the main city sewer.

That goes for the flippers or buy and hold investors but maybe not the "my dream home" crowd.

Ask me how I know..
View Quote
How do you know? (Probably already asked and answered, but hey,post count)
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Why are the renovators always surprised to find something major wrong that the home inspector should have caught doing the inspection?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No airport = no interest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the house in the flight path to the nearest airport?
No airport = no interest
Our local airport is a source of never-ending interest for me.  We have all sorts of war birds fly overhead.  They are great!  We see lots of P-51's, something that looks like an ME-109, Corsairs, maybe even TBF Avengers or the trainer look-alike,... you name it.  We've seen a B-17 and a B-25.  We have "squadrons" of war birds - allied and axis squadrons.  I have not seen a P-38 or a Spitfire.  We see Stearman biplanes, too, groups of two or three are common.

We are not directly in the flight line and are sufficiently far away it is not a noise problem.

When I hear that rotary engine rumble or the rumble and beat of multiple rotary engines, I fly out the door with binoculars in hand.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Snip...

Real estate agents are specifically instructed to avoid discussions of crime because that can very quickly lead into discussions on demographics which are absolutely verboten.
View Quote
Verboten by realtor association rules, fair housing act, what?

How can it be illegal to talk about data collected and published by fed state and local govts?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The funniest one I ever saw was a lady that didn’t like the house because the bedroom tv that came with the house was too small. The realtor had to explain she could just buy a bigger tv
View Quote
Saw one where they didn't like the ceiling fan.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Many shows showing a couple looking at three homes have already purchased.
They already bought one of the three.
The other two are just filler for the show...
View Quote
This. Plus I’m sure they go over most of those things when before they actually buy the house, not during the show.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s a “reality” show.  Stop making sense
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]
House Hunters and the other "reality" shows on HGTV fake? Next, you will try to tell me the WWE is fake too!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do they have HOAs in MS?
View Quote
Or tubs???

Or commodes???

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Those shows use local realtors to weed out the unacceptable houses. By the time filming starts they are down to the final few houses and all of those questions have already been answered.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's "Reality TV" so there's nothing real about it. Pure entertainment.
View Quote
CORRECT
My SIL was a real estate agent on one of these shows told me it's a script and staged nothing "real" at all
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Good points, but 2-5 and 8-9 should be known before deciding to look at a house, with many of them contained in the listing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Reality show /= Reality
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Those questions are boring and usually don't make for good TV.  They can ask them, but there's no need to spend air time on them.  So that's why you rarely see them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I personally know 2 sets of people that appeared on those shows.  One was having their house renovated with no intentions of looking for another and the other had moved into the "new" house they "chose" a couple years prior.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife and I were on an episode of House Hunters.

We already knew the answer to those questions because we had already done the research and purchased the house.  Our realtor was contacted by HGTV and asked if she had clients that would be willing to do an audition tape.  We sent ours in and were selected.

We met with the producers and were given our “reason for moving”.

You walk through 2 homes that are currently in the market and also the home you already purchased.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How can it be illegal to talk about data collected and published by fed state and local govts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip...

Real estate agents are specifically instructed to avoid discussions of crime because that can very quickly lead into discussions on demographics which are absolutely verboten.

Fair housing act portion of 1968 civil rights act.

Agents are warned not to address questions from clients asking about crime statistics and instead told to refer them to a number of websites that keep track of such things and leave it at that. Since demographics are so closely tied to crime, you can very easily be drawn into a conversation discussing demographics. Supposedly, it is illegal to help a client purchase a home in a neighborhood using race as a preference. If you read the fair housing act closely, it really doesn't address this scenario specifically. You are excluding other races by preferring not to live near them and instead in a homogenized neighborhood. Seems like it's applying unwritten standards to the law, but it is what it is. It's not specifically outlawed but someone could make a case of it in this day and age. Best stay well clear of trouble, keep your livelihood and license.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The shows are staged, same as the homes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Drama Queen hosts, Especially the property sisters.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This.  Completely scripted “reality”...essentially a fake show.  In reality they looked at a lot more than three homes and bought one.  The other two on the show were found by producers long after they bought their real home.

The bottom line is that ALL of these shows are about as real as Keeping up With the Kardashians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.  Completely scripted “reality”...essentially a fake show.  In reality they looked at a lot more than three homes and bought one.  The other two on the show were found by producers long after they bought their real home.

The bottom line is that ALL of these shows are about as real as Keeping up With the Kardashians.
The show Flip This House, when it switched to the Black couple of Atlanta (Sam Leccima), one of their open houses when they supposedly met the self-imposed "deadline" in the nick of time and were showing the house, the camera moved wrong and you could see a room that was completely unfinished with trash all over it. In a house that was supposedly being showen to buyers.

He got in all kinds of trouble for faking a bunch of things and bilking investors.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The funniest one I ever saw was a lady that didn’t like the house because the bedroom tv that came with the house was too small. The realtor had to explain she could just buy a bigger tv
Do you know how to change a ceiling fan?

Most people can't. It can get pricey fast to change a fan out. Not that that's a good reason, but...

Personally, I think the more telling situation is when you see the wrong fan somewhere, i.e. a 40" fan in a 20x20 room. If they cheaped out on putting in the right size fan and spending another $40 or $50 on the right size, what else is done halfway right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most people can't. It can get pricey fast to change a fan out. Not that that's a good reason, but...

Personally, I think the more telling situation is when you see the wrong fan somewhere, i.e. a 40" fan in a 20x20 room. If they cheaped out on putting in the right size fan and spending another $40 or $50 on the right size, what else is done halfway right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The funniest one I ever saw was a lady that didn't like the house because the bedroom tv that came with the house was too small. The realtor had to explain she could just buy a bigger tv

More likely the director told them to find things wrong with the house.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wife and I were on an episode of House Hunters.

We already knew the answer to those questions because we had already done the research and purchased the house.  Our realtor was contacted by HGTV and asked if she had clients that would be willing to do an audition tape.  We sent ours in and were selected.

We met with the producers and were given our “reason for moving”.

You walk through 2 homes that are currently in the market and also the home you already purchased.
View Quote
Did they give you a quota of how many  times you must say "Oh my God". I have been thinking God must be a sponsor of those shows.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Or tubs???

Or commodes???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they have HOAs in MS?
Or tubs???

Or commodes???

HOAs are not common here in Mississippi, but I have seen them mentioned here on ARFCOM.  Seems that most folks don't like them.

Hoes on the other hand, we've got plenty of.

Tubs and commodes . . . most folks in Mississippi got indoor plumbing after LBJ created our Great Society.  And we thank y'all.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you are in the room when your wife/GF is watching HGTV and the folks are shopping for a house, what are some things that the buyers never seem to check, but should?

Off the top of my head:

1. They don't flush commodes and run water in the tub to see if they drain properly.
2. They don't ask what school district the house is in (if they have, or plan to have, kids).
3. How much are the real estate taxes?
4. Is there a mandatory Homeowners' Association (HOA)?
5. Are there any HOA fees, and if so, how much are they?
6. What are the HOA covenants, if any?
7. Who are the neighbors, and how many kids, dogs, loud trucks, go karts, etc., do they have?
8. What is the crime rate in the area?
9. Is the house in the flight path to the nearest airport?
View Quote
Much of this is in the MLS card for the place.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep my neighbor was on. They told her to call them back after she bought a house.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top