Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2001 1:48:40 PM EDT
I am planning a move to this area and I have a few communities that I'd love some feedback on.

I don't want to actually live in Portland, so I have looked in to a couple of towns near by. Any feedback on the following places would be of GREAT help. I'd MUCH prefer to stay on the west side.

1)Beaverton. Close to light rail system, decent employment outlook, reasonable drive to the city. Is it a good place to live? Any other info?

2)Hillsboro. Same qualities as above, I think. Any info?

3)Tigard.

4)Tualatin.

I will be renting either a house or an apartment and have a fairly modest budget. Any help you can give me regarding these places(or any other good towns very close by) would help a lot. A reasonable commute to Portland is important too. 30 min. drive TOPS. Beaverton and Hillsboro have the light rail system, which is a definate plus. What are the communities like?

Thanks a LOT for any help offered, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Vancouver Washington which works out well. I have no State income taxes and if I shop in Portland I have no sales Tax. Nice area. Let me know when you get here and we can go shooting.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Any reason for the west side? It is as a rule much more crowded than the East side,Clacamas, Happy Valley, or the south Canby, Oregon City, WestLinn. Decent 3bd 2ba house runs $900 and up apartments are a little less.Beaverton and Tigard can take 40 min to get from your job in town to your house in town.  Where are You moving from? Hope this helps some?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have just heard that the west side, especially S.W. is the better area to live. Not as "ghetto" as what I have heard about eastside areas. Are their decent neighborhoods on the eastside, fairly close to the city? I'm not looking for yuppyville, but at the same time, I don't want to live among gang bangers either.

Is the light rail system a good way to get to a job in Portland? I've never used it, but it sounds better than getting stuck in traffic. That's what made me think about Hillsboro and Beaverton. Plus, their outside the city a little, so that's good with me too. Are they expensive, and is the price difference that great from east to west Portland areas?

The westside just seems a little closer to the woods and rural areas, and that's important.

What about Vancouver WA? Whats the town like? I've been through it, and to be honest it sems a little boring. If it's not, I'd love to hear a little about it. I'm moving from the Olympia area by the way.

Thanks again for your replies, and any future comments.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually Vancouver is not too bad. I live on the extreme N side where I5 and 205 meet. Is almost rural here, but the cities are very close. The is a real nice range about 15 miles from here that has 25-300 yard setups with seperate areas for pistols and rifles. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to Portland from here on either 5 or 205. What other type info would you like?

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am planning a move to this area and I have a few communities that I'd love some feedback on.

I don't want to actually live in Portland, so I have looked in to a couple of towns near by. Any feedback on the following places would be of GREAT help. I'd MUCH prefer to stay on the west side.

1)Beaverton. Close to light rail system, decent employment outlook, reasonable drive to the city. Is it a good place to live? Any other info?

2)Hillsboro. Same qualities as above, I think. Any info?

3)Tigard.

4)Tualatin.

I will be renting either a house or an apartment and have a fairly modest budget. Any help you can give me regarding these places(or any other good towns very close by) would help a lot. A reasonable commute to Portland is important too. 30 min. drive TOPS. Beaverton and Hillsboro have the light rail system, which is a definate plus. What are the communities like?

Thanks a LOT for any help offered, I really appreciate it.
View Quote

I live in Newberg, Oregon and I have been in all of those towns, more than once..

Out of the ones you listed, pick TIGARD!!

TRUST ME, you'll thank me later! if not Tigard, then Tualatin.. then Beaverton.. but Hillsboro, you'll be sorry....................
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Albany, about 70 miles south of Porland.  I make the I-5 drive rather than live in the big City...and up there it is really one big City. Timing is everything if you want to avoid being stuck in traffic. If you make it to Tigard, check out Kaufmann Streamborn Fly Shop.  Nice place; no AR's but some really nice fly rods!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Actually Vancouver is not too bad. I live on the extreme N side where I5 and 205 meet. Is almost rural here, but the cities are very close. The is a real nice range about 15 miles from here that has 25-300 yard setups with seperate areas for pistols and rifles. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to Portland from here on either 5 or 205. What other type info would you like?

Aviator
View Quote

How long a drive in to Portland on a weekday morning? AND....what's Vancouver like? What's rent like? Any idea? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#8]
M4, here is the skinny. I should know, I lived in Portland and sold real estate there for years.

First thing where are you planning on working? Sounds like you don't have something lined up as of yet. Therefore, understand that your 30 minute commute requirement - means 'in a perfect world I would like...' My office used to be 10 minutes away (with no traffic) and a good commute would take 30 minutes a bad one - 2 hours.

Light rail - it is great if you work downtown or at the airport. Are you an office poke? Otherwise, grab your umbrella cuz your gonna walk a bunch.

East side ghettos - depends on you view of what constitutes a ghetto. BFD is what I always thought. However, *some* parts (close in parts) of North and North East Portland have some nasty colored folk. Although, it should be understood that these neighborhoods have become desirable and as a result these areas are undergoing regentrification. (buyers are displacing the tenants). Stay outta the project called 'Columbia Villa' in North Portland and like Ainsworth St to Columbia Drive out to 28th in NE - you'll be fine. Above all - don't buy the hype - it aint a scary place. Of course that is relative to your experiences.

Close in SE - multi-flavored trash. Asian, Hispanic, and Vanilla. The white trash in SE is far worse than the chocolate variety in NE. The difference is if you are white you won't even make the radar screen. Same story, know how to act, don't start nothing, won't be nothing.

Further out SE is nice, Gresham, Oregon City, Canby, Beaver Creek. Rural, laid back. I-84 the free to the East - sucks ass.

West Side:

Beaverton - don't even get me started. My office was located here. Drivers will have you in a rage within 5 minutes. This is the home of the wanna be rich (make $60K -$150K a year and I think they've got pull cuz they've got a leased Beam'r) Nuff said.

Aloha - the low rent version of Beaverton.

Hillboro - AKA Hillsburrito - Yeah, heavy hispanic influence. If you are gonna live out this way - go to Banks - smaller, laid back. Better yet, go out this far West and then turn a little South - Carlton Oregon - small, ag community.

North

Vancouver - sorry - it sucks. Not an attractive community and the commute is consistantly the worst in the area. Esp on I-5 (the 5).

South:

Tigard - possibly the best compromise of all. This gets my vote.

West Linn / Lake Oswego - $$$$

Tualatin / Sherwood - nasty drive - esp the 'Terwiliger Curves' when it is sunny during AM rush hour.

The apartment market is finally back into a healthy condition. However there should be some 'deals' available *if* you seek them out.

Good Luck. The place blows in my book.

ps - give some thought to the St. Helens area. Fairly quick commute, smaller, cheap.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:

TRUST ME, you'll thank me later! if not Tigard, then Tualatin.. then Beaverton.. but Hillsboro, you'll be sorry....................
View Quote

Why Tigard and Tualatin? What's the deal with them? Is it expensive, or are the price ranges somewhat flexable?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Is Hillsboro REALLY that bad?

And is Beaverton just too expensive?

Any decent middle class towns?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey-- If you moved to Albany, OR, you'd be close to the shooting range.  It's only good out to 250 yards, but I think it has a great setup aside from that.  Then, there is the Elk's Club 600 meter range if you:

1) Believe in God
2) Have never been a member of the Communist Party

Ummm,  I think Beaverton and suburban Portland is hell on earth.  If I wanted to live in a city, I'd cart my ass back to Nueva York.  

Really, take a week or two off and check out the areas before moving.  Portland has done an exemplary job of trying to limit urban sprawl, but I really don't like the city 'burbs.

Of all the cities in Oregon, I'd pick Eugene, because it is
1) Close to substantial industry.  
2) Doesn't suck ass like Corvallis
3) is located so you can go up to Hell  (Portland), out to the sticks (Southern Oregon)
4) full of people who will ALWAYS be harder luck than you

Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to a training class last year and one of the speakers was the chief of police for Hillsboro.  He said they pay a 5% premium to their officers that can speak Spanish.  Not a bad thing but interesting.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
M4, I just moved here from Kali at the turn of the year and I love it. I live in Beaverton in Latino central, and from what I've seen, there is no "BAD" area. I live in a 4br 2ba 2 car garage house that goes for $995 per month. It's really not bad at all. As far as the commute, it depends on what shift hours you work. Do you know the location or hours you will work? Tigard and Aloha have alot of new homes and development. Nice and not too pricy. How big is the family? The thing I like about Beaverton is that it's a pretty central location, and easily accessible to the other big employment communities. What's going to be your profession? Or do you know yet?

By the way, I'm going shooting on Friday morning if anyone wants to join. I'll be off the 26 freeway at Mile marker 35 at about 9:15 to 9:30am. It's the only place I know of to go that's free. The state police told me about the place. I'm just too cheap to go to a real range! [:)]

M4- let me know if I can be of more assistance!
Take care, and good luck!
benny6
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#14]
M4,

I have lived in the Portland area my entire life... I was born and raised in Troutdale, that is a FAR east suburb of portland, pretty nice if you like strong winds (really comfortable there kindof down home) I now live in the Murrayhill area of Beaverton. if you appreciate your privacy then this is the area for you. I live in a private apartment community(very common in Murrayhill) which has private attached garages, no community stairways and lots of trees for privacy. We have 24 hour patroling security and it is absolutely quiet after 7-8 PM -- BTW I am not OLD either I am a 29 year old business owner who loves guns, Loud Speed metal, loud home theatre.

BTW My 2 Bedroom Apartment leases (12 mo.) for $785 each month. there are others here higher and lower... :-)

Tigard is nice (my business is in Tigard) just stay away from the apartments close to downtown main street......... Bull Mountain and Beef Bend Rd. are very nice as is the durham Rd. area ( just not to close to the high school.)

If you wanted to stay close to portland Downtown, there is a little talked about area of portland called Cedar Hills. A lot of people think Cedar Hills is Beaverton, but it is really Portland. Cedar Hills is Mainly comprised of older homes (40's - 50's - 60's)Some of the apartment complexes are WAY HUGE maybe too big though. Cedar Hills is right at the sunset HWY. (HWY 26) and close to just about everything, I have a lot of friends who own homes there and it is very comfortable.

Hillsboro.....???? DEPENDS..... Downtown Hillsboro and close in areas are densly populated with Mexican migrants, the more you travel East you run into HIGH TECH. INTEL, FUJITSU, EPSON and others have a lot of engineering and production campuses' here. There are a lot of people making decent money acting like they are multi millionaires.... kinda rude, and snobby....

Hope this helps...

Agwood
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here from the Hood River or Dalles areas? What do you guys think about that area in general? I have toyed with the idea of transferring to Wishram, WA and living somewhere on the Oregon side so I can get into the Class III goodies. The relative remoteness of the area kind of appeals to me. I could also work in Vancouver WA, Albany OR. or Klamath Falls OR.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:

View Quote

Why Tigard and Tualatin? What's the deal with them? Is it expensive, or are the price ranges somewhat flexable?
View Quote

Why Tigard and Tulaltin.. umm... over all cleanlyness (sp?) is better from my point of view... different parts of beavetron are pretty nice...

Not sure about rent, or nothin like that..

and as for Face In the Crowd's

Hillboro - AKA Hillsburrito - Yeah, heavy hispanic influence. If you are gonna live out this way - go to Banks - smaller, laid back. Better yet, go out this far West and then turn a little South - Carlton Oregon - small, ag community.
View Quote

You're 100% rigth about Hilsburro.. However, CARLTON?!?!? YUCK!   Lots of WHITE TRASH! (no offense), there is nothing in calton - to say the least, and it is also, pretty dirty/run down..

Don't even think about Yamhill......

Newberg isn't bad.. has lots of nice parts.. lots of stores, etc....

But I'd go with Tigard...

Westilinn(sp?) is very nice.. I used to live there... spendy place to live.. but it WAS very nice.. and some parts still are.. most parts..

gtg.. cya
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Why are you leaving Olympia?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#18]
M4, I used to live in Corbett which is a little farther east of Troutdale and just up the cliffs from the Columbia River.  Real nice area, but mostly zoned for agriculture.  My parents still live up there and whenever I go to visit I take my Busmaster just in case I happened to see a coyote from my old bedroom window.  My vote would be for somewhere on the east side.  Gresham also has the light rail and it's only a hop, skip, and a jump from there to the wide open spaces.  On the west side there isn't a lot of public land left and so you'll probably have to drive farther west into the coastal mountains or over to the east side if you want to do any quality wilderness time.  Also, once you do move, make sure you take a trip over to northeast Oregon and check out the Blue Mountains and some of the high desert.  You gotta' have a taste for it, but if you're like me you'll love it!  Good luck with your move.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
You got mail.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Boomer; I really like the Albany area.  Been here for 17 years. Community college here in town, Oregon State University just across the river.  Still seems like small town, but has most of what a person could want.  Economy is diverse. Not too far from the mountains and only a little farther to the ocean.  I-5 gets you to Portland or Eugene. Local gun club is very active; only 100 yard range (can shoot to 250 or so), but there are other longer ranges within driving range.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes, M4.

There is a W_O_N_D_E_R_F_U_L apartment complex in Beaverton called "Ceader Mill Crossing"

Live there.

Hillsboro rocks, senior. Take the 63 Tri-Met to the Burger King, and just hang out for a while, essay. Make sure to have your hair greased, in a hairnet, and a lot of tattoos in Spanish.

While in The Portland metro, make sure to check out the North-East portion. Great sights, great people.
Oh yeah.
The buss-mall downtown? Right by ChinaTown?
There is a "restraunt" there called the "Blanchet House"
Eat there.

Anyway, e-mail me if you want anymore help on The Portland area....

McUZI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top