Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If we can get student loan debt to be eliminated by filling bankruptcy again we will eliminate many problems at once.  I can't believe Trump hasn't pushed to have this done yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bull
View Quote

Jesus dude.... does your neck ever get sore from sticking your head in the sand?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If we can get student loan debt to be eliminated by filling bankruptcy again we will eliminate many problems at once.  I can't believe Trump hasn't pushed to have this done yet.
View Quote
It really is that simple. Lenders need skin in the game... if they did, nobody would loan huge amounts of money for useless degrees and the problem would solve itself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Is AoC going to come out and condemn this? If she really believes the whole world ending in 12 years stuff then this is a colossal waste of money that could have gone towards funding her new green deal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Going forward:

Existing loans get interest rates dropped to 2%, retroactively. Balances reduced to reflect this. Those who paid high interest/ paid them off get a check. They all remain non dischargable in BK. It’s not fair to lenders to change from not dischargable to dischargable. It’s also not fair to charge 5-8%+ interest on loans that are basically ironclad.  Reduction of balances and most money going to principal will help get the loans repaid faster and the government won’t lose money since we are only talking about interest. Not reducing principal (adjusted for inflation).

These will be the last government loans. hopefully this will cause them to get paid faster and expedite the government getting out of student loans

Going forward all new loans are private. All will be dischargable. Interest capped at 36% by regulation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I saved for 25 years in preparation for funding my 4 kids education. They all graduated (one more to go) debt free.  I also flat-out told my kids....if you get some dumb-fucking degree that won’t help you earn.......you can do that at home and go to CC.

Fuck this bitch straight to hell.  Spit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you got the government out of the student loan business and made lenders do a proper risk assessment on their potential clients then your second bullet would take care of itself as nobody would make loans for stupid bullshit.

As usual, the solution is actually less government rather than more of the same government that screwed it up in the first place.
View Quote
Ideally, yes.  That'll never happen though, so a solution that's feasible will require some practical evaluation of ROI for the lender (.gov), which is totally absent to date.

And, I take a slightly different approach to the issue.  If applied properly, offering student loans is a net benefit to .gov over time.  I borrowed a *lot* from them back in the day, quintupled my earning potential in the process, paid the loans back with interest, and currently pay more taxes annually than I grossed beforehand.  I'm not at all sure I would have had that opportunity with an all-private lender market.

Now, I also did my due diligence and picked schools that I knew I could afford, both in terms of total indebtedness vs income, and within the borrowing limits in place at that time.  I placed a cap of 1 year's gross salary on my total indebtedness, with the idea that (worst case) I would pay 10% of my gross salary for 10 years to pay them off, which was a very manageable burden.  I did it in 6 years, and could have done it in 3-4 if I really buckled down.

The .gov has benefited twice from this, both from the loan interest and over my career in the form of increased tax revenue.  Win/win for them and me.

If a school wants to offer a Studies program, fine.  Better be able to offer it within an indexed price structure the student can complete, so they can afford to pay it back while working at Hot Topic afterward.  If not, prepare to either offer those programs at a net loss or shut them down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It really is that simple. Lenders need skin in the game... if they did, nobody would loan huge amounts of money for useless degrees and the problem would solve itself.
View Quote
In the old days, there were increased limits for loans for kids who were in medical, dental, or law school.  Makes sense.  Those kids, at least have the potential of earning a bit more.  I guess that wasn’t fair.  Why should the fucking dentists get more loan cash than some dope with a women’s study degree?!
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Going forward:

Existing loans get interest rates dropped to 2%, retroactively. Balances reduced to reflect this. Those who paid high interest/ paid them off get a check. They all remain non dischargable in BK. It’s not fair to lenders to change from not dischargable to dischargable. It’s also not fair to charge 5-8%+ interest on loans that are basically ironclad.  Reduction of balances and most money going to principal will help get the loans repaid faster and the government won’t lose money since we are only talking about interest. Not reducing principal (adjusted for inflation).

These will be the last government loans. hopefully this will cause them to get paid faster and expedite the government getting out of student loans

Going forward all new loans are private. All will be dischargable. Interest capped at 36% by regulation.
View Quote
You're expecting banks to take a loss on billions of dollars of retroactive interest charges because you've determined that it's not fair?  

And mandating interest rates?  

I swear, some people just love "more government" and can't wait to use it to fix government caused problems.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ideally, yes.  That'll never happen though, so a solution that's feasible will require some practical evaluation of ROI for the lender (.gov), which is totally absent to date.

And, I take a slightly different approach to the issue.  If applied properly, offering student loans is a net benefit to .gov over time.  I borrowed a *lot* from them back in the day, quintupled my earning potential in the process, paid the loans back with interest, and currently pay more taxes annually than I grossed beforehand.  I'm not at all sure I would have had that opportunity with an all-private lender market.

Now, I also did my due diligence and picked schools that I knew I could afford, both in terms of total indebtedness vs income, and within the borrowing limits in place at that time.  I placed a cap of 1 year's gross salary on my total indebtedness, with the idea that (worst case) I would pay 10% of my gross salary for 10 years to pay them off, which was a very manageable burden.  I did it in 6 years, and could have done it in 3-4 if I really buckled down.

The .gov has benefited twice from this, both from the loan interest and over my career in the form of increased tax revenue.  Win/win for them and me.

If a school wants to offer a Studies program, fine.  Better be able to offer it within an indexed price structure the student can complete, so they can afford to pay it back while working at Hot Topic afterward.  If not, prepare to either offer those programs at a net loss or shut them down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you got the government out of the student loan business and made lenders do a proper risk assessment on their potential clients then your second bullet would take care of itself as nobody would make loans for stupid bullshit.

As usual, the solution is actually less government rather than more of the same government that screwed it up in the first place.

You have too much faith in the benevolence of a new wing of the Department of Education that would determine the max government loans from the Bank of Government (which for the life of me I can't find as a power in the Constitution) in a fair and scientific basis.  If there's not enough evidence by now to show that it will be corrupted and used for political ends there never will be.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#11]
As usual democrats represent and reward those who fail.

Great way to run a country.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is what I expect a heteronormative cisgendered white male shitlord to say. Off to the re-education camps with you!
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Going forward:

Existing loans get interest rates dropped to 2%, retroactively. Balances reduced to reflect this. Those who paid high interest/ paid them off get a check. They all remain non dischargable in BK. It's not fair to lenders to change from not dischargable to dischargable. It's also not fair to charge 5-8%+ interest on loans that are basically ironclad.  Reduction of balances and most money going to principal will help get the loans repaid faster and the government won't lose money since we are only talking about interest. Not reducing principal (adjusted for inflation).

View Quote
How about don't take them if you don't want to abide by the agreed upon terms
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is what I expect a heteronormative cisgendered white male shitlord to say. Off to the re-education camps with you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah........they'll just blow my head off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm on Warrens side. 100% behind college debt forgiveness.

She is just doing it wrong. Make it dischargeable in bankruptcy court. That's it. Can't get a decent job because you and your 100 feminist friends took "Femenist French Lesbian Poetry in the 18th Century"? No worries. File for BK. Trash your credit like you should. Then watch as colleges no longer have women's studies, or swahili, or any other underwater basket weaving degrees.

You guys need to play the long game.
View Quote
Not a bad idea, the republicans should move on something like this to counter the "free college" BS.  Make the Ds vote no on it.  But they won't, they won't do anything to fix the narrative.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You have too much faith in the benevolence of a new wing of the Department of Education that would determine the max government loans from the Bank of Government (which for the life of me I can't find as a power in the Constitution) in a fair and scientific basis.  If there's not enough evidence by now to show that it will be corrupted and used for political ends there never will be.
View Quote
I have zero faith in either.  Going through the process myself, I know which one allowed me to accomplish what I did, and which one didn't.  Shitbirds gonna shitbird either one.

I agree with .gov backed student loans not being dischargeable through bankruptcy.  Choose wisely before doing business with the Mafia, and make sure you have a solid plan to pay them back.

Pulling back on loan limits would effectively put higher education on a diet.  Ironically, the single source nature of today's student loan market gives them stupendous leverage, if they'd only use it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Liberals are fucking assholes!

Are you black?  We'll give you money (reperations) just vote for me.

Are you in college?  We'll give you money just vote for me

What's next?

Thinking about chopping your dick off to become a woman?  We'll give you money just vote for me.
View Quote
Kind of like “Elect me, we’ll repeal Obamacare!  And cut spending and cut back the federal government!”
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#18]
...and watch as tuition suddenly doubles since students will not have to pay it back. Frankly, if they are going to forgive student debt, they should force the schools to kick in $1 to the U.S. Treasury for every dollar forgiven.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#19]
So, that would mean that $640 billion would be freed up to be spent in the economy...

Will that generate more income in taxes for the .gov than what people are paying in interest?

This is starting to make sense to me...
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its an interesting solution for sure but does it matter when the loans are back by the Federal government?

With that, what stops me from going through 8yrs of school to become a doctor, taking out loan after loan to finance the tuition and living expenses, then once graduating, file bankruptcy?

Sure there's a short-term hit to my credit but now Im a debt free doctor making bank.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#21]
That estimate is low by 50%
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So, that would mean that $640 billion would be freed up to be spent in the economy...

Will that generate more income in taxes for the .gov than what people are paying in interest?

This is starting to make sense to me...
View Quote
If paying off student loans is great for the economy, then just extending the givings until we give every resident of the country $50,000 would do amazing things.

Mind you it'd only be a one time cost of about another $15T in debt, but that doesn't seem to be a bother already.  Forward!
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Change BK laws and let everyone sort it out
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mind you it'd only be a one time cost of about another $15T in debt, but that doesn't seem to be a bother already.  Forward!
View Quote
It used to concern me when I was younger but then I realized I was one of the few left who really thought it was a problem. The folks in congress, who tax and spend, didn't think so and so we are where we are. It only seems to concern one political party when the other is spending money in ways they do not like. The government solution to the debt, as my financial adviser has told me, is to inflate the money supply to the point where, for example, your added $15T in debt would be the cost of a loaf of bread at some future date. Think post-WW 1 Germany. We know how THAT worked out
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Free corn the butcher shouts. Trust me! All you hogs have to do is vote for me on the way into the open hog pen gate to eat free corn.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Fiscal responsibility is for suckers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think we should just defund leftist universities entirely. Declare the college debt crisis an illegal  scam and charge universities with educational discrimination, lol. Burn it to the ground.
View Quote
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quite liberal and generous when it’s other people’s money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Change BK laws and let everyone sort it out
View Quote
Going forward OK, for past choices and agreements, hall nah.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#31]
The sorriest motherfuckers from across America will stand in long lines to vote for their free shit. The Republican party (and America) is doomed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck that! I finally finished paying mine off last year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#33]
If I already paid mine off do I just get a check or.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Bailing out loans does nothing to fix the root issue...colleges being run by the incompetent left.

Overcharging, unbridled spending, employing mentally ill professors with nothing of value to offer students for future employment, offering pensions for all who work for them, free tuition for all non whites (so whites pay more and go into deep debt), courses in retarded subjects that will never lead to employment....on and on...

Fix those and the 'debt problem' goes away, turn back the clock to pre-1965 when a bright student gets into college via good academics and can work part time washing dishes after school to pay for med school and leave college debt free. How was that possible before?

Just like MSM reforms are needed...academia reforms are needed due to the left's corruption.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bailing out loans does nothing to fix the root issue...colleges being run by the incompetent left.
View Quote
I think the root issue is too many mindless parents saying "BRAWWK, BRAWWK, GO TO COLLEGE, GO TO COLLEGE, DEGREE DOESN'T MATTER, BRAWWK!!"

There are smart ways and stupid ways to go to college.

There are many smart ways, like the guy here who said his kid was gonna do CC part-time to get an Associates in Accounting while working part-time at a book-keeping office, then transfer to a state school (which will have to accept the CC credits) for two years to get the BA or BS in Accounting while working part-time. BOOM: Graduate in 5 years with 5 years of realistic work experience in that field, college costs are cut in half or more.

There's one sure-fire stupid way to go to college:  Rack up massive student loans to live on campus for four years getting a degree with zero analysis of whether that degree leads to a job that makes the degree worth it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck no.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top