BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My next 6 years will be stuck at work making these things..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The media embargo on the Gladiator details was lifted at midnight Eastern.

All the automotive YouTube channels should have reviews up with initial impressions from a media event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1tt1Tut698

Jeep's web page should be updated soon, but AoA has the following pricing for 6 speed manual trucks:

Sport $33,545
Sport S $36,745
Overland $40,395
Rubicon $43,545

A Launch Edition will be $60,815, and loaded up Rubicons can hit that $60k price point as well.
My next 6 years will be stuck at work making these things..
Wait, Kentucky?, are these things made in a right to work state? I was thinking Tacoma because I have a righteous fatwa against the UAW but if these are made by non-UAW folks I'll FO.

Edit: And let me make it clear, it isn't because I hate the people in the union rather it is because I don't want to contribute to the coffers of the left with my big purchases.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That was an April fools day joke. But it does look awesome.

https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/jeep-announces-2dr-gladiator-truck
View Quote
J6 concept

This is the one I was talking about.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Then it's only as long as a Tahoe!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Launch edition goes live tomorrow for people who signed up for email updates awhile ago. However, rumor is that they won't start producing launch editions until wave 3 so don't expect delivery for 4-6 months on one.
They leaked a "short cab" version. Hopefully this will be available in 2dr!
Then it's only as long as a Tahoe!
Every mid size truck is longer then a Tahoe  
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

J6 concept

This is the one I was talking about.
View Quote
Those are just Moab show cars for Easter Jeep safari, and it’s not a 2dr gladiator, it’s most likely just a stretched 2dr like the cj6 or Jeep lj, which would be awesome if it actually came out but it wont
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wait, Kentucky?, are these things made in a right to work state? I was thinking Tacoma because I have a righteous fatwa against the UAW but if these are made by non-UAW folks I'll FO.

Edit: And let me make it clear, it isn't because I hate the people in the union rather it is because I don't want to contribute to the coffers of the left with my big purchases.
View Quote
Lol, you think your money wouldn't still contribute to coffers if one particular plant was non union but many others were?

Lol
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Those are just Moab show cars for Easter Jeep safari, and it's not a 2dr gladiator, it's most likely just a stretched 2dr like the cj6 or Jeep lj, which would be awesome if it actually came out but it wont
View Quote
The J6 badging is done in the style of a J10 badging though, so wonder if it'll be Gladiator based. EJS concepts are always cool, with lots of little hidden features that end up in production models later.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
It's about as close to a 4 seat humvee that I'll ever be able to afford.  Seriously considering one of these to replace my 08 f150.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cafe doesn't mean shit to this. If it's a limited run like an SRT option they can do it without a problem. If one in 25 made were given the SRT v8, it wouldn't even make a fucking Dent in the CAFE limitations and ratings. * ETA I own a dodge that has the poorest milage ratings out of all of the Dodge cars made in the last decade. Limited runs do not even matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blame CAFE for the option not being available,  along with stock 35s on the rubicon.
Cafe doesn't mean shit to this. If it's a limited run like an SRT option they can do it without a problem. If one in 25 made were given the SRT v8, it wouldn't even make a fucking Dent in the CAFE limitations and ratings. * ETA I own a dodge that has the poorest milage ratings out of all of the Dodge cars made in the last decade. Limited runs do not even matter.
It's a crash/safety/crush zone issue.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
probably going to be over priced.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's about as close to a 4 seat humvee that I'll ever be able to afford.  Seriously considering one of these to replace my 08 f150.
View Quote
At the risk of riling up all the Jeepers...

If you meant the real deal HMMWV and not the H1, the HMMWV is way cheaper. I've done a ton of upgrades on mine, including a 6.5TD/4L80E swap, and I'm in it for about $30k having overpaid for some upgrades but gotten deals on others. Initial purchase price with auction fees, taxes, and transport was $12,750.

It's got a shorter wheelbase (130") and overall length (180" without winch) than the Gladiator, runs 37" tires from the factory while maintaining a lower center of gravity than a lifted Jeep, has "locking" diffs from the factory, being a 1-1/4 ton truck has a much higher payload and, if you put an H1 tow hitch on it, higher towing capacity. People like to claim they're unreliable but nothing on mine has failed that isn't a typical wear or age related item (tires, hoses, belts, etc.), except a temperature sensor that fires the glow plugs (a replacement was $20) and a leaky injector on my engine I swapped in that I just replaced. I'm getting ready to replace worn steering stuff that is all original 25 year old parts.

That said, it's definitely not for everyone. It's not a turn key ride unless you're willing to pay Gladiator like prices for a frame off restored truck from some place like Retired War Horses or Black Dog Customs. It'll leak like a sieve without a lot of work, spartan would be an upgrade to the interior, it definitely isn't fast (65-70 cruising with a 4 speed transmission, 60-65 max with the 3 speed), it rides just like a 1-1/4 ton truck, it's loud, A/C doesn't exist unless you put it in, the bed length of the 4 man is just shy of 4' unless you cheat like the Gladiator with the tailgate down (), it doesn't have the off road articulation of a live axle Jeep (but with independent suspension it does handle really well for a truck its size on road), and you're not going to find many places willing to work on it let alone a dealer network.

An H1 is a little more refined with some sound deadening, most have at least the 4 speed from the factory and many have the 6.5TD, and they're engineered to be much more water tight (the hard top models). Prices on those for well used ones are around the price of a Gladiator ($40k-$60k) and the cherry ones are going to be a little higher. The top of the line Alphas with the Duramax/Allison combo go for over $100k.

That said, given the choice between my HMMWV and a Gladiator, I'm taking my HMMWV any day but that's me and it suits me as a better all around truck and I'm not afraid to work on it myself. It's definitely not a nimble goat off road like a 2 or 4 door Wrangler and as mentioned has its downsides but, it brings it's own pros to the table the Wrangler and Gladiator don't.

(PS: I still love my little Jeep buddies! )
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
probably going to be over priced.
View Quote
Well the prices are already released so you can be the judge of that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I think a Ram Rebels a better deal than the Gladiator, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I plan to get one...Gonna get an aftermarket cab of some sort.

Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you meant the real deal HMMWV and not the H1, the HMMWV is way cheaper. I've done a ton of upgrades on mine, including a 6.5TD/4L80E swap, and I'm in it for about $30k having overpaid for some upgrades but gotten deals on others. Initial purchase price with auction fees, taxes, and transport was $12,750.

It's got a shorter wheelbase (130") and overall length (180" without winch) than the Gladiator, runs 37" tires from the factory while maintaining a lower center of gravity than a lifted Jeep, has "locking" diffs from the factory, being a 1-1/4 ton truck has a much higher payload and, if you put an H1 tow hitch on it, higher towing capacity. People like to claim they're unreliable but nothing on mine has failed that isn't a typical wear or age related item (tires, hoses, belts, etc.), except a temperature sensor that fires the glow plugs (a replacement was $20) and a leaky injector on my engine I swapped in that I just replaced. I'm getting ready to replace worn steering stuff that is all original 25 year old parts.

That said, it's definitely not for everyone. It's not a turn key ride unless you're willing to pay Gladiator like prices for a frame off restored truck from some place like Retired War Horses or Black Dog Customs. It'll leak like a sieve without a lot of work, spartan would be an upgrade to the interior, it definitely isn't fast (65-70 cruising with a 4 speed transmission, 60-65 max with the 3 speed), it rides just like a 1-1/4 ton truck, it's loud, A/C doesn't exist unless you put it in, the bed length of the 4 man is just shy of 4' unless you cheat like the Gladiator with the tailgate down (), it doesn't have the off road articulation of a live axle Jeep (but with independent suspension it does handle really well for a truck its size on road), and you're not going to find many places willing to work on it let alone a dealer network.

An H1 is a little more refined with some sound deadening, most have at least the 4 speed from the factory and many have the 6.5TD, and they're engineered to be much more water tight (the hard top models). Prices on those for well used ones are around the price of a Gladiator ($40k-$60k) and the cherry ones are going to be a little higher. The top of the line Alphas with the Duramax/Allison combo go for over $100k.

That said, given the choice between my HMMWV and a Gladiator, I'm taking my HMMWV any day but that's me and it suits me as a better all around truck and I'm not afraid to work on it myself. It's definitely not a nimble goat off road like a 2 or 4 door Wrangler and as mentioned has its downsides but, it brings it's own pros to the table the Wrangler and Gladiator don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot to mention that many states are cracking down on registering these surplussed HMMWVs.  For instance Arizona wont allow you to register them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Considering they dont even compete with each other thats like saying a Chevy Malibu is a better deal simply because it cheaper.

The Rebel has nothing that the Gladiator does.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment.

The Rebel is just a regular ass half ton truck with an off road theme package. Most of the off road bits can be had on non-Rebel and competing models, and the rest is just a garish and brotastic appearance package that makes the truck uglier than the average Ram.

The Gladiator was engineered to have off road capability as a core competency, and the removable panels gives it a major fun factor that no half ton can compete with. It's also plenty versatile.

Also, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Gladiator being in the top 3 of all vehicles in the industry for resale value. It'll be up there with the Wrangler and Tacoma for sure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You forgot to mention that many states are cracking down on registering these surplussed HMMWVs.  For instance Arizona wont allow you to register them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly just the freedom hating purple/blue states but who wants to live there anyway.

Other states like Kentucky, Idaho, and others are actually making it easier.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Rebel is just a regular ass half ton truck with an off road theme package. Most of the off road bits can be had on non-Rebel and competing models, and the rest is just a garish and brotastic appearance package that makes the truck uglier than the average Ram.

The Gladiator was engineered to have off road capability as a core competency, and the removable panels gives it a major fun factor that no half ton can compete with. It's also plenty versatile.

Also, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Gladiator being in the top 3 of all vehicles in the industry for resale value. It'll be up there with the Wrangler and Tacoma for sure.
View Quote
Evo has plans to put the UD60's and some 40s under theirs and run the Baja 1000. Sounds like a cool build with the info they shared.

I can see this truck taking over a few Tacoma fans. The Gladiator is going to be the AR15 of the truck world.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Evo has plans to put the UD60's and some 40s under theirs and run the Baja 1000. Sounds like a cool build with the info they shared.

I can see this truck taking over a few Tacoma fans. The Gladiator is going to be the AR15 of the truck world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does! Definitely interested to see how it performs!

ETA: I think the wide open spaces of the Baja 1000 will be much better suited to its size than rock crawling and tight trails.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm a bit surprised on this one considering anything with a piece of paper that resembles a title and at least one somewhat working wheel seems to be road legal in Arizona.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of like this one that competed in the King of the Hammers race a few weeks ago?

Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mostly just the freedom hating purple/blue states but who wants to live there anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, there are reports from many states where the DMV says no, revokes already issued licenses or wont let you reregister.  Florida, Nebraska, Arizona etc.  There are many.  Its a very high risk unless you know for a fact your DMV has said its okay.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Received an invite to preorder today for $62,310 hard pass.  You can get a raptor for similar money.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Received an invite to preorder today for 62,310 hard pass.  You can get a raptor for similar money.
View Quote
Got the same... I don’t even care about the money, I won’t buy a first (or second, **maybe** the third) model year of anything.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's just your opinion man.

I actually think the Rebel looks better than a standard Big Horn.

One thing it has over another trim with the "off road package" is a better approach angle due to the lack of lower air damn.

Other than that and I think the Bilstein shocks, you get the rear locker and 1" lift by getting the "off road" package.

Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

One thing it has over another trim with the "off road package" is a better approach angle due to the lack of lower air damn.

Other than that and I think the Bilstein shocks, you get the rear locker and 1" lift by getting the "off road" package.

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.N9tblusbRP3O9w1mDJ2dbAHaFj&pid=Api&rs=1&p=0

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.8FtJdrgDPh9vEeJ73dANIwHaE7&pid=Api&rs=1&p=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want even more of my opinion? I got you.

In the standard trims, the Ram is one of the better looking trucks on the market right now, and those standard trims are the ones responsible adults with taste choose.

The Rebel is not only gaudy and tasteless, it's one of the vehicles on my unwritten warning list. When I see one in traffic, I anticipate there to be an 87% higher chance of douchebaggery and recklessness just due to the sort of people they seem to attract.

Most of the guys I know who own standard Rams are average guys with average driving records, but the one dude I know that bought a Rebel rear-ended two different people in his first year of ownership. I do not believe this to be a coincidence.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am fairly certain guys buying the Rebel appearance package don't care about approach angles.

The only Dodge truck you can compare to the Gladiator is the Power Wagon.  Albeit the size difference is huge but the Power Wagon actually offers features the Gladiator does.  The Rebel package is purely for looks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Received an invite to preorder today for $62,310 hard pass.  You can get a raptor for similar money.
View Quote
They start at $33k

ETA: And if you buy them from Dennis and Dillon in Idaho you get $5-8K off that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They start at $33k

ETA: And if you buy them from Dennis and Dillon in Idaho you get $5-8K off that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They start at $33k

Details please!
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They start at $33k

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They start at $33k

I’ve heard of Dillon, but I’d be shocked if they had discounts on Gladiators anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They start at $33k

View Quote
They are referring to the launch edition which has it's ordering books open today. Want to order a Gladiator today and that's the only one you are getting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Details please!
View Quote
Surely you have heard of Dennis and Dillon? All Jeeps are $5-8k off of MSRP. No haggling. People from all over the US buying Jeeps from them. They're in Caldwell.

You could easily grab a base model Gladiator for $28k then do what Evo is doing with theirs by building it better for less than a Rubicon.

@TZLVredmist

Here's an example $9K off this new Rubicon-
https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/inventory/new-2019-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-4x4-sport-utility-1c4hjxfn2kw539229

The $5-8K I wrote is always there. When they have specials like they have right now then it's usually around $9K off MSRP.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They are referring to the launch edition which has it's ordering books open today. Want to order a Gladiator today and that's the only one you are getting.
View Quote
Mel Wade from Evo got his for $33K.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The media embargo on the Gladiator details was lifted at midnight Eastern.

All the automotive YouTube channels should have reviews up with initial impressions from a media event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1tt1Tut698

Jeep's web page should be updated soon, but AoA has the following pricing for 6 speed manual trucks:

Sport $33,545
Sport S $36,745
Overland $40,395
Rubicon $43,545

A Launch Edition will be $60,815, and loaded up Rubicons can hit that $60k price point as well.
View Quote
nice....this might be my next vehicle in 3 years
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’ve heard of Dillon, but I’d be shocked if they had discounts on Gladiators anytime soon.
View Quote
They don't do "discounts" they just sell everything like that, way under MSRP. Did the same with the JL when it came out and same with the JK, etc.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Mel Wade from Evo got his for $33K.
View Quote
Did he get it from some sort of promotion? As far as I am ware the only ordering books open to the public right now are for the launch edition, and you certainly aren't going to get one of those for half off MSRP.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Did he get it from some sort of promotion? As far as I am ware the only ordering books open to the public right now are for the launch edition, and you certainly aren't going to get one of those for half off MSRP.
View Quote
Possibly, I don't know.

Nobody is going to get one half off MSRP

I did see a soccer mom driving one the other day in Boise. It's very nice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Saw a white one on the drive in today. Don’t like white vehicles generally but it was still sexy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Details please!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They start at $33k

Details please!
Volume dealers sell for about 10% under sticker at a starting point. Bill luke in phx is another example. Check out the jeep forums for a longer list of dealers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:37:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Whelp...i preordered one today
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Whelp...i preordered one today
View Quote
Details or it didn’t happen.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Details or it didn’t happen.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Blurry but I assume it's the launch edition?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just picked up a JLUR with the 2.0 and 8 speed and it an amazing little engine. It has more zip than any Jeep I’ve ever driven.
View Quote
A friend just got one. Helped him install some side steps then he let me drive it. That thing has amazing zip/pep for a 4 banger especially on the 4dr.

Ive got an '18 JKUR and my 6cyl seems slow now
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Blurry but I assume it's the launch edition?
View Quote
Yeah, i will see if i can get a better photo
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I think it’s cool looking, but even most Jeep fanatics admit that jeeps in general are pretty unreliable vehicles.

Too bad.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A friend just got one. Helped him install some side steps then he let me drive it. That thing has amazing zip/pep for a 4 banger especially on the 4dr.

Ive got an '18 JKUR and my 6cyl seems slow now
View Quote
Did it have the auto tranny? I test drove both the 6 and 4cyl models in auto and that transmission is a game changer IMO.
The auto and the front axle knuckles are incredible compared to previous models. 4 door turns much much tighter than the JKU.
Page / 7
Top Top