BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So you follow the teachings of Jesus, but don't believe in God?
View Quote
I follow common sense, basic morals. Do you need the teachings of Jesus to tell you that murder is wrong? To tell you that treating people like shit is wrong? To tell you that lieing and stealing is wrong? To tell you that banging your neighbors wife is wrong. Etc etc etc.....????

If you think most human beings don't have that sense of wrong and right instilled in them at birth.....that's a pretty shitty outlook on humanity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest...I've never really even though about it.  Not sure I believe in a "god", but I can't say there isn't one.  This may sound bad....but I just don't care. I live my life under the rule of "treat others how you would like to be treated".  

When I hear preachers talk.....would could switch out the word "God" with "the giant panda", or "holy elephant".....and it would all be the same to me.

I've just never understood any of it.......but I don't go around telling people there is no god, or they shouldn't go to church. I just don't care.....people can do what ever they want, believe in what ever they want.
News flash: that principle did not originate with Jesus.

I bet you think social rules like “don’t lie, murder, steal, or commit adultery” didn’t exist before themTen Commandments either.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I follow common sense, basic morals. Do you need the teachings of Jesus to tell you that murder is wrong? To tell you that treating people like shit is wrong? To tell you that lieing and stealing is wrong? To tell you that banging your neighbors wife is wrong. Etc etc etc.....????

If you think most human beings don't have that sense of wrong and right instilled in them at birth.....that's a pretty shitty outlook on humanity.
View Quote
Is any of that wrong?  Why?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we want to talk in the abstract, what makes murder, theft, or adultery wrong? If I raise a child from birth and install a belief that it's acceptable to steal, does that child have a built in from birth knowledge that it was wrong? If I raise a child to be feral, and just provide it with food and shelter, but no outside societal influence, does that child know that any of the things you mentioned are wrong? If we are born with a sense of right and wrong, why is murder, theft, lieing, and adultery all so common? Even among those who have clear societal pressure to not do these things?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't work
View All Quotes
Didn't work
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
But it is true. People are not born with a sense of right and wrong, only a sense of self-survival.  People must be trained to have a sense of right and wrong by indoctrinating them in societal values.

If you don’t believe me, look at the feral youth in our inner cities.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If we want to talk in the abstract, what makes murder, theft, or adultery wrong? If I raise a child from birth and install a belief that it's acceptable to steal, does that child have a built in from birth knowledge that it was wrong? If I raise a child to be feral, and just provide it with food and shelter, but no outside societal influence, does that child know that any of the things you mentioned are wrong? If we are born with a sense of right and wrong, why is murder, theft, lieing, and adultery all so common? Even among those who have clear societal pressure to not do these things?
View Quote
Those things being "wrong" either comes from "The Man" or God.  They certainly make it easier to run a functioning civilization.....right and wrong do come from somewhere and it's worth pondering.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those things being "wrong" either comes from "The Man" or God.  They certainly make it easier to run a functioning civilization.....right and wrong do come from somewhere and it's worth pondering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd agree with the premise that thy come from somewhere. So the question should be what and were do the values and "moral belief structure" of a modern member of western society come from?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd agree with the premise that thy come from somewhere. So the question should be what and were do the values and "moral belief structure" of a modern member of western society come from?
View Quote
The Bible.  Mystery solved.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Confident, not arrogant.  Not needing help is not a bad thing. Not having a hole that needs filled is a benefit, not a hindrance.

Being capable of coping with "life" without needing emotional support in the form of a "god" is not a sign of weakness.
View Quote
Confident people don’t bring up their qualities over and over. It’s very clear you’re insecure. And that’s ok. But do some work on yourself.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is God fully in charge of this world?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God is everywhere. Only a fool thinks that he is fully in charge of his world.  Go learn about your creator both in and out of church. One day you will be glad you did.
He at least has foreknowledge of everything according to the history of everything that will take place.
It seems He factors in every action and movement with purpose for an ultimate new beginning.

So then, if God, is not in charge and doesn't have the full capability of control, then at least logically, He
is not God, but even being possibly One who shares His supposed universal powers with possibly other gods.
Of some sort.
The Christian Bible clearly states that at one juncture, Jesus Christ, and Satan had a meet.

The Devil told Christ after He fasted for a very long while, and physically weakened, was tempted by the Devil or Satan
claiming that he would give Him this authority, concerning world control, if He were to bow down and worship him (Satan).
It is recorded that Satan made a claim to Christ, that the world, or some certain aspect of the world, like the world system
of politics and commerce belonged to him.

Furthermore, Satan stated that he had the power on his own to give it, or part of it, to anyone that he wanted.
Now, the Bible claims that Satan is a liar and the father of all lies.
Yet, Jesus Christ did not at that time dispute his claim.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He at least has foreknowledge of everything according to the history of everything that will take place.
It seems He factors in every action and movement with purpose for an ultimate new beginning.

So then, if God, is not in charge and doesn't have the full capability of control, then at least logically, He
is not God, but even being possibly One who shares His supposed universal powers with possibly other gods.
Of some sort.
The Christian Bible clearly states that at one juncture, Jesus Christ, and Satan had a meet.

The Devil told Christ after He fasted for a very long while, and physically weakened, was tempted by the Devil or Satan.
It is recorded that Satan made a claim to Christ the the world, or some certain aspect of the world, like the world system

Furthermore, Satan stated that he had the power on his own to give it, or part of it, to anyone that he wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
God is everywhere. Only a fool thinks that he is fully in charge of his world.  Go learn about your creator both in and out of church. One day you will be glad you did.

Of some sort.

The Devil told Christ after He fasted for a very long while, and physically weakened, was tempted by the Devil or Satan.
It is recorded that Satan made a claim to Christ the the world, or some certain aspect of the world, like the world system

Sorry, that is incoherent.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
"...I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person...."

You're a liar. When you stop lying to yourself, you'll stop lying to others. Only then can you get to work on acquiring those traits.

Asking Jesus for help would do you good.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know this is a sensitive topic, and I'm not trying to insult anyone....but I just want to ask the question.

My wife is not super religious, but likes to go to church once a month or so. She says it makes her feel better…I’m ok with that. Every now and then she asks me to go with her…..I don’t want to, but it’s my wife…and a marriage is a compromise.
I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person.  Everything good or bad that happens to me is because of my own hard work, my good choices, my bad choices, or good/bad luck….that’s it.

I don’t know how people can sit for an hour and listen to some preacher get up there ramble on and on about how they need to look for a higher power to believe in when things get them down, when things don’t go right, or when they are having a rough time with life.  I can listen to it for about 5 min, and my eyes glaze over and I’m thinking about riding dirt bikes, fishing, or a multitude of other things.

I guess I just can’t wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can’t realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing….nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
View Quote
If she is going to a church to "feel good", then that doesn't sound like a real church.  The Word of God convicts people.  It doesn't exist to make them "feel good"

The Bible also says that you will reap what you sow.  This is consistent with your belief of work hard=good things.

The Bible is entirely consistent with being a "strong" man.  The wussification of males is a recent invention of the modern church.  Jesus Himself wasn't a limp-wristed sissy.  He worked as a carpenter and overturned tables in the temple!

What you are missing is the Word of God.  Try listening to a real pastor like Pastor Lawson (on youtube), or David Lankford at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/voiceofevangelism

If you aren't ready to go there yet, read some of the stuff from the Founding of our nation in the 1700s.  Those were real Christian men, and they were very strong and very smart.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of some sort.

So was the video that you posted yesterday on another thread.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of some sort.

Of course it is, at least to those who do the work of satan.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Of course it is, at least to those who do the work of satan.
View Quote
(Edited -40xb)
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Aren't you taking it a little too serious considering you don't believe in fairy tales?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Aren't you taking it a little too serious considering you don't believe in fairy tales?
View Quote
It’s definitely making this atheist scratch his non-believing head.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe he is resisting the calls to repent.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Believers derive so much from their beliefs, it can become really difficult to communicate across the divide, or even to understand.

I do think it's wrong to attribute religious belief to personal failings in this way, although in my opinion theism and dogmatism generally are terrible operating systems to run a consciousness on, it doesn't necessarily indicate a hardware problem. It's just sad.

The fact that they derive their sense of morality from their beliefs, rather than the other way around, has some interesting effects though. Particularly when they apply what they imagine they'd be in the absence of those beliefs to people who derive those things elsewhere, or what happens when they fail to their absence.

Religion is an almost perfect recipe for conflict with everyone else. Everybody is going to end up insulted, that's why it's a taboo to even have this kind of discussion in most settings.

What's really bothering me right now is whether you believe or not has a massive effect on how you're going to view religion being a pillar of civilization, that's a chasm that's really difficult to bridge. I don't agree with those who say they don't believe but still think religion is a good thing that helps people. There are massive opportunity costs, then it's clearly occupying cultural territory it cannot hold, and our current situation vs. the left starts to look incredibly bleak.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

(Lots of love. -40xb)
View Quote
Don't get loved by moderators over this stupid shit
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Believers derive so much from their beliefs, it can become really difficult to communicate across the divide, or even to understand.

I do think it's wrong to attribute religious belief to personal failings in this way, although in my opinion theism and dogmatism generally are terrible operating systems to run a consciousness on, it doesn't necessarily indicate a hardware problem. It's just sad.

The fact that they derive their sense of morality from their beliefs, rather than the other way around, has some interesting effects though. Particularly when they apply what they imagine they'd be in the absence of those beliefs to people who derive those things elsewhere, or what happens when they fail to their absence.

Religion is an almost perfect recipe for conflict with everyone else. Everybody is going to end up insulted, that's why it's a taboo to even have this kind of discussion in most settings.

What's really bothering me right now is whether you believe or not has a massive effect on how you're going to view religion being a pillar of civilization, that's a chasm that's really difficult to bridge. I don't agree with those who say they don't believe but still think religion is a good thing that helps people. There are massive opportunity costs, then it's clearly occupying cultural territory it cannot hold, and our current situation vs. the left starts to look incredibly bleak.
View Quote
Believing in nothing is a belief.  What you believe...I couldn't say.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#24]
One thing that I've noticed about Atheists, is that they so fervently try to cram their beliefs (or lack thereof) down everyone's through, that they forget why they hate Christians so much - cramming their beliefs down people's throats.
I've also noticed that it's mainly Christians that are the focus of their hate and derision. They will give a quiet pass to just about everyone else and I don't think I've ever heard an Atheist go apeshit on Muslims. They are either pussies that are scared of the muzzies - or they live by a double standard.
Me? I'm Christian, but think everyone has a right to believe whatever they want and I'm sure as hell not going to try to convince anyone to become Christian - that's their own business.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Not getting into this debate now but I’m all those things and a Christian.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’m confident, self-reliant (to a point) and strong minded.  I am also a pastor.   If you’d like to have an honest conversation pm me.

I’ll even give you my cell number and we can talk
View Quote
Welcome to the machine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One thing that I've noticed about Atheists, is that they so fervently try to cram their beliefs (or lack thereof) down everyone's through, that they forget why they hate Christians so much - cramming their beliefs down people's throats.
I've also noticed that it's mainly Christians that are the focus of their hate and derision. They will give a quiet pass to just about everyone else and I don't think I've ever heard an Atheist go apeshit on Muslims. They are either pussies that are scared of the muzzies - or they live by a double standard.
Me? I'm Christian, but think everyone has a right to believe whatever they want and I'm sure as hell not going to try to convince anyone to become Christian - that's their own business.
View Quote
Nonsense. And apathy.

New atheism was a response to 9/11.

Nearly everyone who's known for their atheism these days is also known for being hard on Islam.

Hitchen's book was titled "God is not great" for a reason.

Dawkens had his books translated into arabic and made millions of copies available for free in Islamic nations.

Harris is more famous for his stances against Islam and his work with apostates than for atheism.

And on and on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know this is a sensitive topic, and I'm not trying to insult anyone....but I just want to ask the question.

My wife is not super religious, but likes to go to church once a month or so. She says it makes her feel better…I’m ok with that. Every now and then she asks me to go with her…..I don’t want to, but it’s my wife…and a marriage is a compromise.
I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person.  Everything good or bad that happens to me is because of my own hard work, my good choices, my bad choices, or good/bad luck….that’s it.

I don’t know how people can sit for an hour and listen to some preacher get up there ramble on and on about how they need to look for a higher power to believe in when things get them down, when things don’t go right, or when they are having a rough time with life.  I can listen to it for about 5 min, and my eyes glaze over and I’m thinking about riding dirt bikes, fishing, or a multitude of other things.

I guess I just can’t wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can’t realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing….nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
View Quote
Try Asatru.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:58:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe some of our atheist friends do not like Christians
because we are the only tangibles that they have in order
to be in opposition to concerning a God who earnestly loves them too.
That is, if this is what they want, or do not want, and this is what they do
in the sense of their evangelical practices for whatever reason.
And more important, additionally, the word of God as a standard that they say they don't
believe in.
But as you, I have noticed that they give many other, "religions," a more or less free pass also.
Just an ongoing observation that's all.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I get what you mean, and you're right. However, quite a few of us have been treated like absolute dogshit by people who do the same kind of thing they treat others like shit over.

Quick story about one reason I lost all interest in organized religion- I got my GF pregnant in HS, and I went to a private Christian school. I had two options according to the principal- say I wasn't the father (that my GF was sleeping around) or get expelled. I got expelled. So at a time I could have used some "Christianness" from my so-called Christian school, I was kicked out. Whatever, not the end of the world.

Come to find out later the principal was having an affair.

Yeah, everyone falls short- you're right. But that means you should probably show some understanding towards others right? Also something something plank from your own eye...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot stand hypocrites either.

Fyi not all churches are like that.
Church is a hospital for hypocrites, not a country club for saints
I get what you mean, and you're right. However, quite a few of us have been treated like absolute dogshit by people who do the same kind of thing they treat others like shit over.

Quick story about one reason I lost all interest in organized religion- I got my GF pregnant in HS, and I went to a private Christian school. I had two options according to the principal- say I wasn't the father (that my GF was sleeping around) or get expelled. I got expelled. So at a time I could have used some "Christianness" from my so-called Christian school, I was kicked out. Whatever, not the end of the world.

Come to find out later the principal was having an affair.

Yeah, everyone falls short- you're right. But that means you should probably show some understanding towards others right? Also something something plank from your own eye...
The Bible does give very specific directions on how to deal with folks like that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I will write my Law upon your heart"
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#32]
This thread proves that non-believers are naturally offended by God’s Word. Of course they will say it’s a fairy tale, but they sure go out of their way to argue in threads about Christianity.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Western Civilization is a result of the 2000-year intertwining of Roman civic virtues, Greek arts, science, and logic, Jewish Mosaic laws, and Christianity.  Christianity is a huge influence, but it is not the only influence.

Murdering, lying, stealing, adultery, were identified thousands of years ago as corrosive to a stable functioning society.  There's nothing in the Ten Commandments that was novel or unique except monolatry (the worship of one god without denying the existence of others).
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Western Civilization is a result of the 2000-year intertwining of Roman civic virtues, Greek arts, science, and logic, Jewish Mosaic laws, and Christianity.  Christianity is a huge influence, but it is not the only influence.

Murdering, lying, stealing, adultery, were identified thousands of years ago as corrosive to a stable functioning society.  There's nothing in the Ten Commandments that was novel or unique except monolatry (the worship of one god without denying the existence of others).
View Quote
The hole in your argument is that God was there at the start, same God , same rules, you’re assuming a time line from Advent on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The hole in your argument is that God was there at the start, same God , same rules, you’re assuming a time line from Advent on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so the Code of Ur-Nammu, Hammurabi's Code, Athenian democracy, the Laws of Lycurgus in Sparta, the Romans' Twelve Tables, and all the rest were directly influenced by and drew upon the Torah's Mosaic law?

Wow, who knew?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

so the Code of Ur-Nammu, Hammurabi's Code, Athenian democracy, the Laws of Lycurgus in Sparta, the Romans' Twelve Tables, and all the rest were directly influenced by and drew upon the Torah's Mosaic law?

Wow, who knew?
View Quote
your understanding of the timeline as depicted in the Bible is lacking, whether out of ignorance or deliberate is on you
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
your understanding of the timeline as depicted in the Bible is lacking, whether out of ignorance or deliberate is on you
View Quote
 IF..IF..one assumes a 6000yo Earth (I don't), then God created Man about 4000BC.  The Code of Ur-nammu is generally considered to have been written about 3000BC.  It is quite feasble that God influenced those early codes.  In either case, God is eternal. That those codes were written down by someone other than Moses is immaterial to me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My wife is not super religious, but likes to go to church once a month or so. She says it makes her feel betterI'm ok with that. Every now and then she asks me to go with her..I don't want to, but it's my wifeand a marriage is a compromise.
I'm a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person.  Everything good or bad that happens to me is because of my own hard work, my good choices, my bad choices, or good/bad luck.that's it.

I don't know how people can sit for an hour and listen to some preacher get up there ramble on and on about how they need to look for a higher power to believe in when things get them down, when things don't go right, or when they are having a rough time with life.  I can listen to it for about 5 min, and my eyes glaze over and I'm thinking about riding dirt bikes, fishing, or a multitude of other things.

I guess I just can't wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can't realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing.nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
View Quote

Very little if anything you do in life is of your own doing.  Where you are born, when you are born, who your parents are, who your friends are, what personality set you have, your natural talents, etc. are all out of your control.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, who knew?
Code of Ur-Nammu -- 2100BC
Hammurabi's Code -- 1700BC
Moses receives 10 Commandments and other Mosaic laws -- 1500BC
Laws of Lycurgus -- 800-700BC
Athenian democracy -- 600-500BC
Roman Twelve Tables -- 449BC
Jesus Christ's ministry -- 33AD

what am I missing, and how did Judeo-Christian laws and teaching directly influence (1) codes that existed before Mosaic law and (2) Greek/Roman law between the Israelites' receipt of Mosaic law and the ministry of Jesus Christ?  Pro-Tip: "God willed it" is a cop-out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

what am I missing, and how did Judeo-Christian laws and teaching directly influence (1) codes that existed before Mosaic law and (2) Greek/Roman law between the Israelites' receipt of Mosaic law and the ministry of Jesus Christ?  Pro-Tip: "God willed it" is a cop-out.
View Quote
I think the point is it has been the same God the whole time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't Abraham come from Ur of the Chaldees and considered a part of the Ur III Dynasty? He would have know about the Code of Ur-Nammu as a contemporary. Just a question not a pot stir.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Very little if anything you do in life is of your own doing.  Where you are born, when you are born, who your parents are, who your friends are, what personality set you have, your natural talents, etc. are all out of your control.
View Quote
Ok....so now I'm confused even more.  First people tell me "god controls everything in your world"....then it's "you have your own free will, God doesn't control you".....now we are back to "everything that happens to you is because of God, you are not in control".

Which is it?  This whole "higher power" thing seems to be constantly twisted, bent, and manipulated in a fashion that works for any and every situation.....depending on how the person is trying to justify the validity of their beliefs.

None of this sells me on the whole "higher power" idea........there is no constant, no base point, nothing that is concrete.  Too bad facts and logic don't work like that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Didn't Abraham come from Ur of the Chaldees and considered a part of the Ur III Dynasty? He would have know about the Code of Ur-Nammu as a contemporary. Just a question not a pot stir.
View Quote
Serug was Abraham's Great Grandfather and was from Ur.  Abraham's Grandfather and Father lived there also, Abraham lived there until he was called by God to make a great nation.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"...I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person...."

You're a liar. When you stop lying to yourself, you'll stop lying to others. Only then can you get to work on acquiring those traits.

Asking Jesus for help would do you good.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ok....so now I'm confused even more.  First people tell me "god controls everything in your world"....then it's "you have your own free will, God doesn't control you".....now we are back to "everything that happens to you is because of God, you are not in control".

Which is it?  This whole "higher power" thing seems to be constantly twisted, bent, and manipulated in a fashion that works for any and every situation.....depending on how the person is trying to justify the validity of their beliefs.

None of this sells me on the whole "higher power" idea........there is no constant, no base point, nothing that is concrete.  Too bad facts and logic don't work like that.
View Quote
 Among Christians there is a split on Pre-Destination vs Free Will.  You without a doubt (IMHO) have free will.  You have free will to reject God which you do on a daily basis.  Presuming he is real, why should he forgive you when you die after rejecting Him your whole life?   Have you made an intensive effort to study the Bible to see excatly what it says with your own eyes and not what some slick, televangelist tells you it is.
 God's word is twisted and perverted by people all the time.  Why not check it out for yourself?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what those who authored those Laws and Codes claimed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming that is true,  God gave Moses  His laws for the Israelites (of which the Ten Commandments are merely a part) in the years between escaping Egypt and conquering Canaan, long after Abraham's time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd agree 100%(although I'd say 3500 years give or take some).
Beliefs are installed on us by society, and society builds it's beliefs over time from tradition, science and religion.
They are not however "born with us". A Christain would call this "born into sin", others might call it the "natural state of man".
So the only question now is why the OP still despertly clings to the idea that his basic core beliefs come from within. That he was "born with them". If he admits that society plays a role, does he lose his "strong minded"ness? Must he admit he's as "weakminded" as other men? Is he so "out of touch with reality" that he can't understand that society affects his daily life and actions more than he cares to admit?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
2 points  Gods law and Mosaic laws are not necessarily the same, Gods laws is eternal, no beginning, no end. Meaning, mankind was under Gods law at the exact moment of creation
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd agree 100%.
Beliefs are installed on us by society, and society builds it's beliefs over time from tradition, science and religion.
They are not however "born with us". A Christain would call this "born into sin", others might call it the "natural state of man".
So the only question now is why the OP still despertly clings to the idea that his basic core beliefs come from within. That he was "born with them". If he admits that society plays a role, does he lose his "strong minded"ness? Must he admit he's as "weakminded" as other men?
View Quote
 Some tribes just "knew" cannabilism was ok.  Human sacrifice was practiced by many societies who believed it to be right and proper. Some societies castrated boys so they wouldn't fuck their harems.  Some societies still practice female circumcision. Some folks want to fuck kids. Some folks want to fuck dogs and goats and horses. Look at our society, the current trend of normalizing transgenders is now reaching down to impact children.
 I wouldn't let society be my moral compass.  History has proven that to be foolish.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top