Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The VA transplanted an infected liver into me.  The virus is called Cytomegalovirus (CMV).  It attacks your peripheral nervous system.  Having every nerve running full blast is the worst pain anyone can feel, obviously.  I told my doctor that I'd prefer to have bilateral leg amputations rather than endure another episode of a CMV attack.
This is still ongoing.  I'm taking a number of medications to prevent the severity I last suffered.

All The Way!

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a surgery on my nose to open up the nasal cavity, and an ear surgery for chronic ear infection. Dr. pulling about 5 feet of packing out my nose and ear was worst pain ever.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
gall stones with pancrititus!!would only wish it on realllly bad people!!it was worse than a bowl resection!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Molar Spacers...   (1980s style)
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Mid shaft fracture of my left femur.  That sucked, but my lower back a few days later from just lying in bed in traction hurt twice as much as the fracture.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Severe ankle sprain (almost threw up the next morning because of the pain), shoulder surgery, tibial plateau fracture repair on right knee (nauseated for two weeks after surgery), coughing and sneezing after getting my chest cracked for a pulmonary embolism after another knee surgery.   Both knees need replacing and from what I understand, those will likely take the top spot.  I had three teeth pulled and one spot set up for an implant a month ago and that wasn’t very painful at all for reference.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The pain that resulted in this.

2010-Neck2-PostOp by FredMan, on Flickr

Woke up one Monday morning in agonizing pain in my neck/shoulder.  Lost 50% of the use of my left arm.  No specific injury.  Gutted it out, and the next morning the pain was 10 times worse.  Like throwing up pain.  Like stompng around the house, scaring the dogs and wife, take me to the FUCKING HOSPITAL RIGHT NOW pain.

Ruptured disc between C6/C7.  Got it fused with IMMEDIATE relief once I woke up in post-op.  Got my arm back and only have some minor nerve damage in my left index and middle finger.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Compound fractured right femur, fractured right tibia and fibula and tore right meniscus plus fractured the pinky finger on my right hand. All kinds of leg parts and pinky facing the wrong directions.

All at one time!!

That all really, really, really hurt!

Also ruptured my L5-S1 disc. That whole ordeal was AWESOME!!! Had a discectomy and laminectomy. Sucked!!

Then........broke the left L-1 thru L-5 Transverse Processes!!!

All have had their own STYLES OF PAIN!!!

Nothing above would even qualify as pain compared to what people who have lost a child experience.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
kidney stone.  But once the hydromorphone kicked in....it was all good
View Quote
This, but breaking my pinky toe on my sons steel toe boots last week comes in at a close 2nd.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Pancreatitis

2nd place:  Needle biopsy with no pain meds.  Nurse was standing by ready to push meds as soon as the tissue was verified a good sample.

3rd place: Having an Army PA cut out an infected toe nail with no pain meds available other than the cliche'd Motrin.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I have passed many kidney stones. Largest nearly the diameter of a .22

It was the only time I ever threw up from pain.

Lots of stupid things hurt!

Most recent:
The first thing I remember when I woke up from my colon resection last year was moaning out that I hurt. After that, I don't even remember the actual surgery ever hurting again, even after getting off the pain meds. 8"+ scar
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Foot surgery on the bottom of my foot to cut out a wart when I was a kid.  (eta - without numbing.)

Worse than getting shot.
View Quote
Had that same thing.  Put some gunk on it to make a blister under it, then a few days later went back and the doc cut it off with some rusty tinsnips.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Stepped on a sea urchin on my honeymoon in Jamaica that unloaded 27 spines in the base of my right foot and all toes. The resort “nurse” pulling them with no access to anything to numb it with was one thing. The infection that set in days later was excruciating.

That and 3 broken ribs in a car wreck are the most notable for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Abscessed tooth.

And that’s coming from a guy who wrecked his bike on the highway going 75mph and slid about 300ft.

That tooth hurt like a MF
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably when I bruised my kidney and passed soft tissues through my urinary system.

It absolutely sucked and I cannot even fathom passing a kidney stone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my hand smashedcat work, ring finger was bustedcpretty good. Docs put 2 k-wires through the fragments to get em to line up and heal.
One of the exposed wire ends got infected and I had to have the wires removed 2 weeks early.
Excruciating pain while the PA tried to pull it out. Staring at the crown molding and nearly passedout a couple times. Huge pressure /pain from inside my hand then the guy would slip off the wire and start over.

2 weeks later same fucking thing with the doctor. When he was done there was bloodsplatter across his shirt and smock from slipping off the wire end and throwing blood off the pliers on himself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Emotional:   The loss of a daughter at 8mo old

Instant Physical pain:  hot cinders in my eye from fireworks - changed my mind dry sockets from having wisdom teeth out - all four went dry

Lasting physical pain: compressed S1 nerve

Edit because I changed my mind
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pancreatitis
View Quote
Wait, wut?  Damn dude/dudette you win...  Prayers.  

ETA:  Had a family go through that and it sucked bad...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
KIP Level 10 cluster headache.

Women who have them report the pain is more severe than going through child birth.

I have recorded blood pressure of 295/210 from one in 2011.

Learn about cluster headaches at: http://www.clusterheadaches.com/newvisitors.html
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Being bent over backwards while playing basketball.

Almost ripped my spinal cord out.
Went into seizures right after it happened.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Broke my L3 vertebrae in a car wreck and tore up some organs and muscle tissue in my abdomen. But the worst part was when the EMTs pulled me from the wreck and pushed me from a sitting position flat on the gurney.

Kidney stone was bad. Some of my Crohn’s partial blockages were bad. Pancreatitis was bad.

I guess I have built up a bit of a tolerance because when I broke my C7 in my neck two summers’s ago it wasn’t too bad.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Holy shit! Did you swallow one of these? Or kneel on one?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/383515/650B4464-F76C-4492-928B-34237FACD1B4-882669.jpg
View Quote
Felt like it.  Was on my motorcycle and got hit broadside by a Toyota 4-Runner that blew a tire and flipped. Shattered wrist, broken angle, tibia broke and pushed through the knee cap, crushed hand, and a bunch of ant bites from laying in the ditch.   Ended up with three plates, one pin, dozens of screws, and 67staples to put me back together.  I’m missing a good bit of my left thumb (crushed between handle bars and gas tank).  Never lost consciousness. The pain got pretty intense the day after surgery.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I never writhed on the floor in agony until I had a kidney stone.

I never threw up from pain until I had a kidney stone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Right nipple infection and abscess 5 months into breastfeeding.  1,000x worse than labor.  Extremely sensitive area swollen to the point of causing compartment syndrome.  I work in the ER & was too embarrassed to go in so I drained it myself at home & followed up with OB in morning.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Having dead tissue scraped off my testicles. The dilaudid and fentanyl cocktail (I think that's what they gave me) didn't do much during the wound care but I was pretty relaxed afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Punch lacerated spleen internal bleeding causing phrenic nerve irritation leading to diaphragm spasms. It was like suffocating while your lungs fight themselves.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Running through a parking lot at night and my shin met a trailer hitch.
View Quote
People that listed a kidney stone have never done this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Burn debriedment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Kidney stones

Gut stabbed

Shot in arm..

That order
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Right nipple infection and abscess 5 months into breastfeeding.  1,000x worse than labor.  Extremely sensitive area swollen to the point of causing compartment syndrome.  I work in the ER & was too embarrassed to go in so I drained it myself at home & followed up with OB in morning.  
View Quote
What the fuck
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pancreatitis

It definitely wasn't fun.  I didn't even know it was a thing.  #1 Bama was going to play #5 LSU later that night and I was trying to gut it out because I didn't want to miss the game.  I thought the pain would pass; it didn't.  I made it till about 2 hrs before kickoff and threw in the towel.  Spend several days in the hospital.

Bonus points:  Treatment for pancreatitis?  You don't get to eat until the lab numbers come back near normal levels.  After day #3 I was the biggest jackass to everybody who was unlucky enough to come in my room.

Not as bad as watching my wife deal with a kidney stone though.  She had it "blasted" earlier that day so it wouldn't be terrible but they ended up turning it into many jagged small pieces.  We wound up back at the hospital via an ambulance.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Stubbed my pinky toe getting up to go pee one night.
Seriously
Toe was black and blue for weeks.  Pretty sure I broke it
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Pleurisy
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Spinal fusion of L5/L6, L6/S1, and the nursing staff forgot to change my morphine drip before shift change, took 2.5hrs for it to get replaced. All I could do was crush the hospital bed rails with my hands clenched around them, sweating profusely, stuck to the vinyl mattress. I was in so much pain I called my fianc to tell her what happened in case I died.

So everytime I'm asked what my pain level is I have to stipulate what my Level 10 was for real.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Broken femur for physical pain. That was excruciating.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Nerve damage testing. They drive thumb tacks into nerve centers and then use various voltages to see how messed up you are.

A close second was a compound fracture.

Third was having the leg wound reopened so they could carve out the necrofied tissue from the staph infection.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#37]
KIP Level 10 cluster headache.

I have recorded blood pressure of 295/210 from one in 2011.

Learn about cluster headaches at: http://www.clusterheadaches.com/newvisitors.html
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Doctor cut open my left nut sack before I was numb during a vasectomy.  The thought of it still makes me nauseous.  My wife was watching and said I turned as white as a ghost.  That's the closest I've ever came to passing out from pain.
View Quote
Same thing happened to me.  He saw me wince and asked if I was ok.  I asked if I should be able to feel how sharp the scalpel was.  Felt much better after he hit me with a shot again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Kidney stones, broken collarbone, and broken shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#40]
So everytime I'm asked what my pain level is I have to stipulate what my Level 10 was for real.
View Quote
This!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Kidney stone.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's another vote for fucking Gout.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#43]
doing CPR on my Dad while he died on me  a couple month ago has taken a lot of the sting out of most injuries I've taken over the years
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#44]
When they gutted me, cut off over half my colon sewed the two remaining halves back together, pushed it all back in and stapled the 10 inch or so  cut in my abdomen shut with  23 staples.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#45]
1a. Thunderclap Headache
1b. Gall bladder attack (removed)

Honorable mention: Penile biopsy
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#46]
13 broken ribs and flail chest.

Sucked, but not until i woke up.

M/c accident in ‘12.  26 fx total, besides ribs -  fx left pelvis w/ dislocation, multiple vertebra, right fibula, right humerus.  Also, separated left shoulder and full thickness burns to left leg and right arm.

So, besides not being able to breath, laugh, cry, cough, or move, I coulnd’t wipe my own ass - all four extremities out of commission.

Fun times.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Two dry sockets after wisdom teeth removal, that’s pretty high up for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Testicular  torsion... lets just say it's like your nuts in a vice, and every time your heart beats, someone cranks down on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Kidney stone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Getting banned for 6 months....
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top