Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Something Something POINTY END
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, Infantry guys carry a bunch of their own personally bought knives. I remember an LT asking me if I had a knife, because he needed to borrow it to cut something real quick. I told him I didn't actually have a knife on me. His reply "You don't have a knife? What kind of Infantryman are you?"

LOL
View Quote
"Uh, OK Sir, then where's YOUR knife?"

crickets...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
0311C, the only times I used the M9 Bayonet was to cut away the paraffin wax and cheesecloth around the mortar round tootsie roll tubes, and in Berlin Brigade, we fixed bayonets for Allied Forces Day Parade June 17th (on StraBe des 17. Juni from the Brandenburg Gate past the Siegesaule) and the Independence Day Parade. on the Platz des 4. Juli every year.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
All you guys that claim to have bayo training were never taught to slash?   Thrust, slash, parry, and butt stroke.
I'll take a sharp one any day and I'd like to see the report that says the sharp ones get stuck in people.

Did you know a .50cal round will take your arm off if it passes close enough?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bayonets were not supposed to be sharp.

Stabby stabby.  Not slashy slashy.
View Quote
Know how I know you never had Bayonet Training ?

Slash, Perry, and Butt Stroke are essential.

All the Bayonets I have ever seen the Army were sharp. Kept in the Arms Room in Germany. In the 101st it was on our gear 24/7.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All you guys that claim to have bayo training were never taught to slash?   Thrust, slash, parry, and butt stroke.
I'll take a sharp one any day and I'd like to see the report that says the sharp ones get stuck in people.

View Quote
I think one issue with a sharpened bayonet, is the tip is far more likely to break off. Now your bayonet isn't pointy anymore....
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The Brit's bayonets are round and pointy....but they're Brits.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, Infantry guys carry a bunch of their own personally bought knives. I remember an LT asking me if I had a knife, because he needed to borrow it to cut something real quick. I told him I didn't actually have a knife on me. His reply "You don't have a knife? What kind of Infantryman are you?"

LOL
View Quote
"The kind that doesn't share his fucking knife."
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Yeah, I should have come up with some clever response.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I admit I do not know about now, but in Nam you could shave with mine, also my fighting knife.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#13]
My bayonet was not sharp. It had an “edge”, kind of, but it could not have cut a piece of paper.

Eta: It’s like they machined a fighting knife, but never honed a finished edge on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought an M9 bayonet from OKC and it came razor sharp and with fine pin point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
How to KILL with a Bayonet!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is one of the last years of Bayonet Training for the Army.

Basic Training Bayonet Training
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#17]
That video is CLASSIC
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Strange.  When we had bayonet training in the Marines back around 1994, slashing was a thing in addition to stabbing.  I seem to recall that our M7 bayonets were sharpened.

Dull bayonets?  No slashing?  WTF?  More dumbing down of the military?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, the OKC-3S is pretty fucking sharp...maybe the Army bayo isn't all that sharp cuz it's organizational gear that's been issued 87,000 times and been used for everything from cutting open MRE cases, to breaking bands on ammo crates to eviscerating jihadi scum and never been sharpened?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The two most dangerous things in the world are an unloaded gun and a dull knife...……….
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They didn't attach a claymore sword to the end of your cannon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a tanker, I never even saw a bayonet .
OMFG, please let someone do that now!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Last month I ran across a thread on this in one of the knife forums I visit. The consensus was that a bayonet isn't supposed to be sharp because it's a stabbing weapon and you don't want a sharp blade to cut into and then get stuck between two ribs. There were stories of guys who said they sharped theirs and had them replaced and told not to do it again.

Who knows if this is the reason.

ETA FWIW I have 3 bayonets, 1 is Polish, 1 is Bulgarian and 1 is Russian. They are all dull AF. The Polish and the Russian bayos are brand new never issued.
View Quote
Hell all they needed to do was to cut commo wire once with it and it would dull them well.   Had a dipshit ask to borrow my kabar and then gave it back dull as shit, yep he cut steel commo wire.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a tanker, I never even saw a bayonet .
Looks like the Marine Corps was way ahead of you!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I have an M7, M9, and an OKC3.  They're all very sharp, because I sharpened them.

Slashing is just as important as stabbing.  At least the Marine Corps still conducts bayonet training.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All those commandos out there that want a bayonet would only open MREs and carve dicks into trees with it, that is if they even knew how to sharpen a knife to begin with. The only benifit I see a bayonet being in today's deployment rotations is defending against angery feral pigs in a training environment.
View Quote
Ha.  I started out with a kabar but in a year I was carrying a Gerber LST to open my MRE with.   That was the most common task I needed a knife for so I went lighter.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
As an added bonus to this thread, I just bought a M6 Bayonet for my M1A. It's new old stock, still sealed in it's original packing dated 1968.  I'll post picks and see if it arrives dull or sharpened.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had a lot of bayonets from many nations, but none were ever sharpened.

It looks like a knife but its not.  It doesn't need a sharpened edge to gig someone.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Lots of no slashy, slashy replies.

Seems to me though, that the natural follow up stroke to an upward butt stroke is a downward slash. Preferably across the neck, but slashing the forearm or chest is good too.

The upward butt stroke delivered under the chin works great if their guard is low or non-existent. It can be delivered with the nearly the speed of a jab, and gives the least "telegraph" effect (it's coming from below the field of vision). If it doesn't knock them clean out they will likely be out on their feet, dropping their guard, exposing the neck for a the slash.

All my bayonets are quite sharp thank you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I have literally never seen a bayonet in my time in the Army.  Nobody uses them anymore and they serve almost no purpose
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to have all the DDR NVA bayo patterns and they all had dull edges except for the last pattern "Rambo" bayonet which was sharp right out of the wrapper.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here is one of the last years of Bayonet Training for the Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDeyGrUV-CI
View Quote
With M16A1s and ALICE gear I seriously doubt that. Last units to do bayonet training would have had M4s and been wearing ACUs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have literally never seen a bayonet in my time in the Army.  Nobody uses them anymore and they serve almost no purpose
View Quote
Yes, we've established no one in the Army uses them.  The Marine Corps still trains with and uses them, though.

Hell, knife fighting is taught as part of MCMAP.

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
This!

You guys saying that sharp bayonets cut in to the bone and get stuck, have you never butchered and animal? A really sharp knife barely marks a bone much less buries itself. The bayonet can get wedged, then plant your foot and pull.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#35]
The only usgi  surplus bayonet examples I have on hand that were not sharp out of the wrapper are those by MilParCo.

Imperials and BOCs are like razors.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@backbencher
View Quote
Army hasn't trained w/ bayonets for a decade.  Neglect makes the grass grow.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#38]
A few times we got our Kabar bayonets. They weren't very dull but not sharp either. Even for MRE's and such, I never saw someone use it. Either you had a pocket knife, multi tool and teeth.

If I had to use it I was going to drive it with a rifle and my bodyweight behind it. I doubt it needed to be that sharp. If you had to slash, they could without problem.

Most people just use knives or mult tools. The bayonet stay on your gear, pack or connex.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  I have literally never seen a bayonet in my time in the Army.  Nobody uses them anymore and they serve almost no purpose
View Quote
They serve to identify Marines, and could save the Army all Combative injuries.  Speaking of useless martial arts...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I would so much rather have a grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#41]
We had bayonet training that included slashing. The bayonets were pretty dull till you took the time to sharpen them. We drew our bayonets every time we drew our rifles from the arms room.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#42]
When I did basic we did the bayonet training using dummy rifles with welded metal spikes.

The only time I saw a bayonet was twice when we did a change of command when I was active duty, almost 20 years ago. That was it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#43]
In 2007 at basic training we did a day of bayonet training with our actual rifles and real bayonets.  It felt like more of a smoke session than anything.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I couldn't understand that guy, so I turned on the closed caption.  Apparently, whoever did closed captioning for that couldn't understand him either.... "Once us add the number baby at the walk advance"
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think there's a built-in sharpener in the sheath.
View Quote
Flat spring steel flaps to hold tension on the blade so it won't fall out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Bayonets are largely relegated to ceremonial work these days.  And as such, you DO NOT want to have a sharpened bayonet on a rifle.  I don't have the picks handy, but even an unsharpened bayonet is devastating when a soldier passes out in a ceremony, dropping his rifle.

Sharp bayonets, even in non-ceremonial use, are more of a liability, than anything else.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#47]
All of the M-7 bayonets I remember being issued were more dull than sharp. Sort of in between. Too dull to be a field knife. We were told during bayonet training that a dull bayonet does more damage when slashing. Even back in the 80s-90s they seemed regarded as obsolete and useless weight.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Those could hurt someone.
View Quote
Yes.
Freedom is scary.
And so are the enemy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I don’t know about sharpening, but the previous dipshit commander sat with an etching tool and engraved his own serial number on each one. Then he had each added onto the property books by serial number.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In 2007 2009 at basic training we did a day of bayonet training with our actual rifles and real bayonets.  It felt like more of a smoke session than anything.
View Quote
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top