BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It’s not a party until you have meth rocks.
View Quote
Well, I have houses in Florida and Arkansas so.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
.50 BMG high explosive rounds are currently legal in most states. That is the definition of a truck stopper. Also 20mm rifles are legal.

That's about as far as it goes. Tannerite is pretty much useless, as one would expect considering it's less regulated than fireworks.
View Quote
All unmixed explosive precursors are less regulated than fireworks.

The issue with explosives is finding caps...hard to do unless you know where somebody left some old ones.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your rifle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Your rifle?
No, mines KIA.
Attachment Attached File

Mine before the crack
Attachment Attached File

She had a good last season though
Attachment Attached File

With one last kill. A running hare at 15 yards
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm just putting a lifesize cardboard cutout of Hillary Clinton at the end of the driveway. That should keep the marauders at bay.
View Quote
That would probably attract leftist hoarded looking to grovel at her feet & everyone else looking to...

....FHRC
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AR15 and a shitload of loaded magazines.  Decent IR laser setup.  Decent night vision.
View Quote
Quoted:
night vision and thermal

and a good choke point
View Quote
That would be nice...
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
AR15 and a shitload of loaded magazines.  Decent IR laser setup.  Decent night vision.
View Quote
This. If you are so inclined you can buy all the parts to easily convert a lower receiver to select fire and when the SHTF do the conversion. Select fire trigger group is about $100, third hole jig is around $35, the extra milling inside the trigger group doesn’t have to be precise and can be done with a dremel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would wager that if SHTF actually does happen people will unwrap a LOT of good stuff that has been waiting for the occasion.

Not everyone is worried about what’s legal and illegal........
View Quote
This also.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Army of Darkness (8/10) Movie CLIP - The Battle Car (1992) HD
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Six pack and a few pickled eggs.
View Quote
Biological weapon of mass destruction!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This. If you are so inclined you can buy all the parts to easily convert a lower receiver to select fire and when the SHTF do the conversion. Select fire trigger group is about $100, third hole jig is around $35, the extra milling inside the trigger group doesn’t have to be precise and can be done with a dremel.
View Quote
Wouldn’t a RDIAS be way easier than drilling or milling?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#11]
A heavy, heavy barrel 308 AR with bipod, medium power scope, and PMag 308 50 round drums. Practice 1 round per second on a windshield sized target at 200 yards. Very doable.

Also, buy some 30-06 AP rounds or bullets, and reload them for 308.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an 870 and a shockwave. Do the math.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cordless drills have been around for a while now as have gas powered portable generators. Or an inverter powered off your car electrical system for a drill press, mini mill, small lathe.

SHTF may have some warning or it may go down like someone throwing a switch, who can say ?? Either way with what you have on hand, if you've prepared at all, should leave you with some options for powering tools for a limited time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And power them with?
Cordless drills have been around for a while now as have gas powered portable generators. Or an inverter powered off your car electrical system for a drill press, mini mill, small lathe.

SHTF may have some warning or it may go down like someone throwing a switch, who can say ?? Either way with what you have on hand, if you've prepared at all, should leave you with some options for powering tools for a limited time.
The siren song of the sweet genny hum will call to all who want your shit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am a chemist ,science is fun kids, science is fun. With a high enough enthalpy change exothermic reactions can be extra fun
View Quote
Translation: There is no problem so big that high explosives can't solve it.

"The Hordes" is where most people make their mistake. Why are you living in close proximity to them?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#15]
VBIEDs and IEDs.  Its the Islamic "underdog's" gift to the world.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If SHTF I care about what's legal and what isn't even less than I do now.
View Quote
Yeah, obviously, once the WROL phase is underway, the BATF has better things to do (like not starving/being eaten) than worry about folks running around with M60s and dynamite.....but prior to that point, it's inadvisable to make/steal MGs and explosives, so getting them before SHTF is not feasible for the bulk of us.

What substitutes/alternatives for those weapons systems (alternative portable means of suppressing large groups or disabling vehicles) are legally available (purchase or manufacture), right now?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, mines KIA.
Attachment Attached File
View Quote
I'd TIG weld the crack, machine it and then donate it to a museum. It's display worthy, but no shooter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to pay $10,000 or more. Drilling a hole and hogging out some metal is not that hard, even with crude tools.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#20]
There's a number of interesting things one can do with household chemicals, a few rolls of speaker wire and a car battery.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
You'd be better off doing all your pre tooling now and separating all your parts leaving only the hand tool assmbly for after. Running a generator is not a good idea. It lets others know you have something they may want also, you would need a good amount of gas on hand for either method. I'm not rural and don't have more then 5 gals of gas or 4 full propane tanks at any given time. Using something like a rifle may also draw attention from otherwise non participants so make sure your devices are very quite. Which reminds me, I haven't used my recurves in a while. I don't think much would happen outside of the cities for the first couple of days. After that, then it would be bad as the masses move out and beyond which would go on for months. How far does the smell of an MRE carry once prepared, especially to a starving man? Then again, as every day that passes, you would need to become more and more invisible as you yourself would become a viable food source for the stragglers which may have formed into small and large groups or not. It goes downhill from there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I'm not sure what you mean since there are ARFCOMMERs with actual RPGs, Carl Gustavs, mortars, grenade launchers, hand grenades, live and fully operational tanks, artillery, and the list goes on...

Other than machine guns, what can't you get?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You wanna know how to really survive an event like you're talking about?

Hide. Or die.

There's a lot of masturbatory discussion on this, and everyone thinks they're Rambo, but the truth is, the "zombies" will get most people.

I ask myself something every once in awhile. Can I defend against myself in X situation?
The answer is always no. The only way I survive against myself is by hiding. Location unknown, and never being found, otherwise I'm fucked
View Quote
Yep. Guys all think they are the special case, yet it doesn't occur to them that even with close air support on call anything unsupported that is smaller than a platoon of Marines is typically going to hide from the enemy and only strike when stealth and surprise give them an advantage in a scenario involved more than a handful of bad guys.

But everyone is John Wick so they'll all be ok on their own.

Oh...you aren't John Wick? Well, you better start making friends, or better yet get a legitimate community approved emergency response program up and running.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The "Zulu" horde that gets mowed down by the small number of armed heroes is kind of a movie staple, not to mention stories out of the Korean War etc.

I was at a shoot where we shot through poles, not as thick telephone poles but pretty thick. It was really a machine gun shoot but I had a $ 350 semi auto AR. I ran through a mountain of mags and could barely hold the carbine but it never stopped shooting. Obviously being pinned down inevitably ends badly if your opponent keeps coming, with cover, an AR and ammo your opponent is in a tough situation without heavier weapons that'll defeat the cover or a willingness to spend lives.

Although there were tragic deaths during the "Blackhawk Down" battle where great men were taken down by hordes of scumbags, there were also many confrontations were small groups of Americans defeated huge numbers of attackers.

But yeah, it's internet mental masturbation
View Quote
Groups man, groups.

And having artillery and close air support sure helps. Fortunately both of those can now be a reality for relatively little money as a civilian. COTS drones can provide some awesome capabilities. They are a major part of the future of warfare.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The issue with explosives is finding caps...hard to do unless you know where somebody left some old ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.50 BMG high explosive rounds are currently legal in most states. That is the definition of a truck stopper. Also 20mm rifles are legal.

That's about as far as it goes. Tannerite is pretty much useless, as one would expect considering it's less regulated than fireworks.

You can't use a cap made from fast burning blank powder or black powder to detonate tannerite.

You can however use it to detonate the .22lr sensitive variety of exploding target.

And the .22lr sensitive exploding target will detonate tannerite.

And using such a train of explosive materials to remove trees on your property is completely legal.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The siren song of the sweet genny hum will call to all who want your shit.
View Quote
Past experience shows that placing a generator inside an old drafty shed will reduce the sound by a fair amount.  Start with one of the quieter generators, and it's more effective.  A purpose built shed, would be even more effective, since you could use sound deadening material and duct the exhaust through a large, baffled chamber.

Your neighbor in the suburbs would still notice, but more rural sites could easily benefit from this line of thinking.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So, zombies rise, asteroid falls, nukes fly, Ebola creeps, the Fappening VI, Storm Ninjas from the Commie-Gov, etc.....

Whichever.  The S has H'd T F.  It's FO time.

However, since you're just Joe Average ARFcommer, you (and your mil-, that is, group of associates who don't at all call themselves the Wolverines(!!!!)) don't have any heavy firepower like MGs, RPGs, etc.  You still have to deal with mutants, marauders, and other such nuisances that come for your beans in large groups or mounted in trucks.

So what pre-SHTF legal options (i.e. having them right now won't draw the BATF to your house for a nightcap) exist for truck-stopping, group-suppressing firepower?

.50 BMG rifles?  Civil War repro cannons?  Heavy-barreled ARs with drum mags?
View Quote
You got coat hangers in your closet, no?

I know it's not the same as a SHTF but sort of is. But look into Mexico's drug war, yeah yeah I know drug cartels, we aren't like them. BUT I think the same concept will apply, they have LIMITED access to ordnance, few barely get RPGs and some get a few grenades. BUT they all seem to always have a Barrett M82 in every convoy they ride 90% of the time.

Their vehicles at the bottom of this post is why they usually carry 50 cals, a few have been seen with M2s. When you're fighting a rival group who has armored their vehicles, you need to disable them, and they've learned that 50 cals does a pretty good and fast job during pursuits.

They have ARs and AKs with drum mags to substitute LMGs specially when doing ambushes. Their vehicles have evolved from heavily armored APCs types to clandestine armored  vehicles that are in use by important people.

Examples, this is a "monstro" aka Monster vehicle the cartels in Tamaulipas started to use around 2008 to 2012

Then they evolved because they were attracting too much attention and basically came up with just simple plate armor inside the cab, with small bullet proof windows and firing ports. They keep all the original windows in tact, but the ones in the pics were blown out due to firefights.

If there is some government imposing some rule of law, I think it'll be similar to how the cartels run in Mexico minus all the macabre acts (maybe). Militias aka groups will usually be hiding most of the time in plain sight, then when they need to do a battle or ambush they come out, do their shooting, and leave as fast as they can.

Also, when it comes to explosives you might see a bunch of IEDs since we have access to some type of gun powders.

Edit: forgot to add, but since we have more/better access to firearms and firearms kits, you can and probably will see more belt feds around here if S were to HTF.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#28]
LOL, when SHTF, legal does not enter into it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tannerite isn't completely useless, though. It could be used as a defensive measure for a static position. Mix several pounds into a container, place it in a position where it can be seen and shot from the static position, but not from the approaches to the static position, and shoot it as opponents are near it, and I can pretty much guarantee you're going to send all but the most determined foes running or going to ground-especially if you mix a little bit of fragmentation, such as nails, screws, or other bits of metal, in with the Tannerite.

Just think about the guy who almost lost his leg after shooting a lawnmower packed with Tannerite. An explosion followed by a flying lawnmower blade would definitely cause most folks to stop and reevaluate their plan of action.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Remington 870 police magnum with a top folding stock.

Trunk full of 00 buck and slugs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not the legality of using the stuff post-SHTF which is a concern, it's the legality of acquiring it prior to the SHTF so you are ready when it happens that's the concern. What can you buy and store now without attracting unwanted attention or a prison sentence in order to be prepared?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#32]
When the SHTF there won't be any law. Do what you want
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's not the legality of using the stuff post-SHTF which is a concern, it's the legality of acquiring it prior to the SHTF so you are ready when it happens that's the concern. What can you buy and store now without attracting unwanted attention or a prison sentence in order to be prepared?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rifle parts kits, some people still import belt fed kits minus the barrel, and receiver. Pretty sure some people even make 80% receivers for those kits. Figure out how the original works and you'd know what needs to be done in the future to make it work. M53s, PKMs, browning 1919s, and M2s are all available from time to time but some are expensive. M203 receivers transfer like a regular firearm, 40mm barrels are available...but you need to show proof of a DD form 1 to buy one from either LMT or other distributors/sellers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Chain and grape shot should do wonders on a zombie hoard.

plenty of pipe around, be easy to whip up some claymore like defenses with very crude materials.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Hell, you can do an AR 80% lower, get a bull barrel, heavy duty FF rail, a few AR drums, binary trigger or RDIAS and you basically have a SAW in limited capacity IMO. It won't run as hard as a belt fed, but you can probably run about 400rds+ mag dumps before something breaks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A heavy, heavy barrel 308 AR with bipod, medium power scope, and PMag 308 50 round drums. Practice 1 round per second on a windshield sized target at 200 yards. Very doable.

Also, buy some 30-06 AP rounds or bullets, and reload them for 308.
View Quote
Yup, an RPK, or even just an AK with some drums would be nice too.

Kinda why I'm hanging on to my 762 Soviet stuff.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Probably an AR10 with a drum magazine (idk off the top of my head if anyone makes AR10 drum mags) and whatever civie-legal bullets would most reliably penetrate and disable a car's engine. Do they make a 7.62 equivalent of M855?

Aside from that, if you're an engineer and can figure it out, the materials to manufacture things that aren't currently legal to own. In a theoretical zombie SHTF, I imagine a former aerospace engineer who used to work on the F-35 at Lockheed Martin could figure out how to put together a shitty-but-functional rocket launcher.
View Quote
Magpul is putting together a D50 for the AR10 soonish.  I think another company puts out a drum mag for them too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Chain and grape shot should do wonders on a zombie hoard.

plenty of pipe around, be easy to whip up some claymore like defenses with very crude materials.
View Quote
That's kind of what I was getting at with my earlier post about Tannerite. If you took a plastic .30 caliber ammo can, lined one side of it with shrapnel, filled the rest with Tannerite, and shot the unlined side from 100 yards or so, you'd have a pretty effective jury-rigged claymore.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd TIG weld the crack, machine it and then donate it to a museum. It's display worthy, but no shooter.
View Quote
You really can't see it from the outside. It's a wall hanger untill I can swing another receiver.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So what pre-SHTF legal options (i.e. having them right now won't draw the BATF to your house for a nightcap) exist for truck-stopping, group-suppressing firepower?
View Quote

+

+

+
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a cop has it, it is attainable, further, if a soldier has it, it is also attainable.  I don't need to have it wrapped in cosmoline buried in my backyard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Tannerite isn't completely useless, though. It could be used as a defensive measure for a static position. Mix several pounds into a container, place it in a position where it can be seen and shot from the static position, but not from the approaches to the static position, and shoot it as opponents are near it, and I can pretty much guarantee you're going to send all but the most determined foes running or going to ground-especially if you mix a little bit of fragmentation, such as nails, screws, or other bits of metal, in with the Tannerite.

Just think about the guy who almost lost his leg after shooting a lawnmower packed with Tannerite. An explosion followed by a flying lawnmower blade would definitely cause most folks to stop and reevaluate their plan of action.
View Quote
Still stand a chance of catching some yourself just chucking them in. Maybe tape a few rows of ball bearings on top of each other with packing tape on the front and sides with none on the back facing you, as in like a claymore.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Still stand a chance of catching some yourself just chucking them in. Maybe tape a few rows of ball bearings on top of each other with packing tape on the front and sides with none on the back facing you, as in like a claymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's almost exactly how I described it in my subsequent post.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I’ve always heard 12 gauge slugs are sufficient enough to punch a hole in an engine block or generally mess up the workings of most vehicle. Any truth to that rumor?

I already have some 12 gauge guns, it would be easier to stock ammo than it would be to invest in a 50
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I’ve always heard 12 gauge slugs are sufficient enough to punch a hole in an engine block or generally mess up the workings of most vehicle. Any truth to that rumor?

I already have some 12 gauge guns, it would be easier to stock ammo than it would be to invest in a 50
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even if they are effective at punching a hole in an engine block, the range at which they are going to be effective is SIGNIFICANTLY closer than that of a .50 BMG rifle. Once you stop the vehicle, you still have to deal with the occupants, who are likely to dismount and attack you. I'd rather do it at 1,000-1,500 yards with a .50, than at 10-15 yards with a 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Even if they are effective at punching a hole in an engine block, the range at which they are going to be effective is SIGNIFICANTLY closer than that of a .50 BMG rifle. Once you stop the vehicle, you still have to deal with the occupants, who are likely to dismount and attack you. I'd rather do it at 1,000-1,500 yards with a .50, than at 10-15 yards with a 12 gauge.
View Quote
Is it worth it go to a 308 of the only thing you have thus far is 556/300/12 gauge? The 50 seems like an expensive step up for something that I hopefully never need
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Legally, on my street alone there a few machine guns (belt fed), SBR's, .50cals, suppressors and such.

What about restrictions now?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, don't forget, people recently have been creating armored VBEDS. ( up armored regular vehicle filled with explosives). to ram into fortified buildings, perimeter gates, road blocks, etc. you want to cripple vehicles as far away as possible. 30-06, .300win mag etc loaded with ap black tip is pretty effective, and there are tons of 30-06 / 300 win mags running around. Obviously .50BMG with API is a hell of a lot better, but you gotta use what you have, or can easily get. you could scrounge one hundred+  30-06 / .300 win mag deer rifles / m1 garands, etc for every one .50bmg you can find. 30-06/.300 win mags a lot easier ammo to find as well. Its also a  lot cheaper to stock up on pulled 30 cal AP bullets, and a reloading set up, than it is to buy a .50 bmg, and ammo for it.  the .50 is better, but 30 cal AP is a pretty nice upgreydd for the slight bump in cost..
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Trebuchet with greekfire substitute.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top