BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And here is Capt Mbawbwa, future senior pilot of Ethiopian Airlines, inspecting his new found multi-tool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And here is Capt Mbawbwa, future senior pilot of Ethiopian Airlines, inspecting his new found multi-tool.
Keep it classy ARFCOM, Americans aren’t nearly as smart and special as we think we are, being complacent and proudly ignorant about the rest of the world is no way to go through life.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Unless they've moved Ethiopia in the last few days, yes.

Lots of Americans ride on Ethiopian.

And, this is the 2nd MAX 8 hull since October.
View Quote
I’ll wait for the reports. African airlines don’t have the best safety record, and 99% of their crashes are pilot error. I’d bet some cash that this ends up being the same issue.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That plane dropped almost 30,000 feet...not 10,000.   What happened?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’ll wait for the reports. African airlines don’t have the best safety record, and 99% of their crashes are pilot error. I’d bet some cash that this ends up being the same issue.
View Quote
The reports are in at this point and we have two threads about it.

This plane is 4 months old. This is not an issue endemic to Ethiopia air, this is a software issue in the Boeing Super Max.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This plane is 4 months old. This is not an issue endemic to Ethiopia air, this is a software issue in the Boeing Super Max.
View Quote
My view at this point is that I would not travel on a SuperMax 737 for the near term.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My view at this point is that I would not travel on a SuperMax 737 for the near term.
View Quote
Eh. SWA is flying the shit out of the max right now, with almost zero issues except nearly being as slow as an airbus.

I've worked tons of ops with the MAX and flown on it a few times.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Eh. SWA is flying the shit out of the max right now, with almost zero issues except nearly being as slow as an airbus.

I've worked tons of ops with the MAX and flown on it a few times.
View Quote
Would you say the density altitude at Addis Ababa may have contributed?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Both of these planes that crashed had incident similar before the crashes.

Something is funky here, it seems Boeing deliberately withheld info about some auto safety devices in order not to confuse pilots with too much info.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Scary
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
If it ain’t Boeing I ain’t....oh wait.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure what "reports" you are talking about.  At this point, no one has any idea what happened to the Ethiopian airplane, and probably wont for a while.

It might be because of the MCAS system on the. MAX, or it might be aliens.  Either is just as likely at this point.

Quoted:

I'll probably fly a 737MAX several times this month, I'm not even a little worried about it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Africa 737 Max you say?
View Quote
FIFY

TC
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Third world airline gonna third world?

May those involved RIP.
View Quote
Lots of Western expat pilots flying for Ethiopian.

TC
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
My best guess is a software bug we may never know they find.
With all the digital crap we have nowadays, all it takes is a couple lines of code to be off and you're screwed.
Sure they say "but we're redundant multiple times over," but some bad software can render all those backups useless.

I manage a team of developers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
117. BOEING 737-800 NG COCKPIT Magic of Flight (Trailer)
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Would you say the density altitude at Addis Ababa may have contributed?
View Quote
I'd imagine the DA was considered well before the plane took off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
those pics look more like a garbage dump instead of a crash site.

With all that gas there should be burned stuff everywhere including a grass fire.

If that is a pic of the crash site, looks like there was no gas, but that would be extremely unlikely

so something is funky
View Quote
Do you think all those people would be standing around to observe a garbage dump? Why would they be faking crash site pictures? For what purpose?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote
Considering all of humanity comes from Africa, I'd like to see some studies
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who willingly goes to a shit hole country on a shit hole continent?
Hey!
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited ~ medicmandan
Uh-oh. You asked for it. Here it comes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Keep it classy ARFCOM, Americans aren’t nearly as smart and special as we think we are, being complacent and proudly ignorant about the rest of the world is no way to go through life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahhhh. Lighten up, Francis.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Background on 737 MCAS

Not a pilot. Does the MCAS advisory make the whole system a little more complex than normal?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't want to be too simplistic about it, but "unstable vertical speed after takeoff" sounds a lot like that thing with Lion Air.
View Quote
Possible engine failure?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Africa you say?

Probably already mentioned later in the thread, 8 U.S. passengers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]
First British victim of Ethiopian Airlines flight named as UN worker, 36, whose father warned her not to catch doomed flight.

Joanna Toole (pictured) has been named as one of the British victims of the air disaster in Ethiopia

British victim Joanna Toole, from Exmouth, Devon, was among at least 12 passengers who were travelling to a UN environment meeting in the Kenyan capital.

Paying tribute today, her father Adrian called her a 'very soft and loving person' whose work with the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation was 'not a job but a vocation'.

Mr Toole said she had flown around the world but added: 'Personally I never wanted her to be on a single one of those planes.

More

Rescue team collect bodies in bags at the crash site of Ethiopia Airlines near Bishoftu, a town some 60 kilometres southeast of Addis Ababa

Joanna Toole, pictured, was the first British victim to be named. Paying tribute her father Adrian said she was a 'very soft and loving person' whose work with the United Nations was 'not a job but a vocation'

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That plane dropped almost 30,000 feet...not 10,000.   What happened?
View Quote
Just like Boeings stock tomorrow , invest heavily in Airbus .
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just like Boeings stock tomorrow , invest heavily in Airbus .
View Quote
Buy puts. You can bet Wall St will load up early, then dump the puts by noon. Boeings stock will lose a few points, then recover over the next few weeks unless a serious systemic flaw is unearthed in the Maxx.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So there's Lion Air 610, which was a 737 Max 8, Atlas Air was a 767-375ER, Ethiopian 302 was a 737 Max 8, all of those planes were lost.  Then Ethiopian Airlines posted to their Twitter on March 5:

Ethiopian 502 is a 787-8 that did this:

I'm not a pilot, just a guy that thinks airliners are pretty cool.  It seems to me like there was more than a "minor technical problem" to make an aircraft lose 32,000 feet like that.  Is there something in the software or hardware that's shared among these planes that's causing problems?
View Quote
They call this a minor technical problem? Should have grounded them all.

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So there's Lion Air 610, which was a 737 Max 8, Atlas Air was a 767-375ER, Ethiopian 302 was a 737 Max 8, all of those planes were lost.  Then Ethiopian Airlines posted to their Twitter on March 5:

I'm not a pilot, just a guy that thinks airliners are pretty cool.  It seems to me like there was more than a "minor technical problem" to make an aircraft lose 32,000 feet like that.  Is there something in the software or hardware that's shared among these planes that's causing problems?
View Quote
There won't be any real similarities in software. The 767 is an old design with a ridiculously trouble free history. The 738max is brand new. I can't imagine them using computers that aren't of a much newer design than that of the 767. But again I'll admit that I just fly them. I rarely look at the guts of them. But I'm inclined to have my beliefs because the way they work necessitates big differences underneath. I think the technology inside a 767 is more akin to that of a 737-500.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Start with the maintenance log
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Ethiopia, eh...

The cause will probably be traced to a starving person found jammed in a tailplane crank arm or some shit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/5f1842b2-0466-4900-9a70-657e0240f8af.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/5f1842b2-0466-4900-9a70-657e0240f8af.png
How would grounding all 787s prevented this 737 crash?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could that be a stall like the Air France plane over the South Atlantic?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Was that the same airframe?

Edit: been answered
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Was that the same airframe?
View All Quotes
No. It wasn't even the same type of air frame.

Notice where it says "787".
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
3 Boeing hull losses in 6 months is very disconcerting.
The Atlas 767 is very interesting as the 767 has been in service for a long time, so that problem is less likely to be a design flaw.
But considering how new the MAX 8 s are and that there have been 2 similar wrecks in such a short time it suggests a fundamental design flaw along the lines of the early 737s having the rudder hardover issues. In this case I suspect that it’s a systemic flaw exacerbated by insufficient training.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't want to be too simplistic about it, but "unstable vertical speed after takeoff" sounds a lot like that thing with Lion Air.
View Quote
Considering this is also a next to new MAX, It sure does to me too.  Hope that is not the case, but bad news for all who were on board...
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Somewhere I saw a recreation of a crash.  If that was the Lion Air 737 Max and it was based upon FDR data, then there is no way I would take a 737 Max.  Something is seriously wrong with that plane in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

3 Boeing hull losses in 6 months is very disconcerting.
The Atlas 767 is very interesting as the 767 has been in service for a long time, so that problem is less likely to be a design flaw.
But considering how new the MAX 8 s are and that there have been 2 similar wrecks in such a short time it suggests a fundamental design flaw along the lines of the early 737s having the rudder hardover issues. In this case I suspect that it’s a systemic flaw exacerbated by insufficient training.
View Quote
The design flaw is the apparent inability (unwillingness?) of the pilot to disconnect the stab trim (using the switch that’s right next to him) when an uncommanded nose down can’t be overridden with the yoke.  Emergency procedures are in the manual for a reason.  You don’t need to diagnose computer code in the middle of flight when the plane is not doing what you tell it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to fly that flight, Nairobi/Addis Ababa, quite a bit back in the mid 2000's. Ethiopian air competes with Safi airways for shitty planes and poor maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That was a brand new Boeing 737-8 Max too.  Delivered in november.  
Sounds like there was a distress call before the crash.  
View Quote
Sounds like they already had clearance to return to the airport.

Article I read mentioned failures in the airspeed indicator avionics and possibly several failures of the same instrument/system multiple times on previous flights. Seems there may have been an identical problem with the other plane they lost late last year.

Does anybody know who makes the airspeed indicator units that Boeing uses on their 767's?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have a good buddy flying for them and haven't had a check in yet.  Damn...
View Quote
Any update on your buddy @jetpig ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why not.   The explosion does not immediately destroy the aircraft and they have time to realize that the best option is to return to the airport.
View Quote
TWA800 never made a distress call!
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#47]
From Pprune:

"777 crew behind ET302 at holding point report observing normal takeoff followed shortly by declaration of emergency. They heard ET302 on tower frequency transmitting “Wrong airspeed indications and difficulty controlling aircraft.”

Back in my design days there was a running joke: "it doesn't work but we'll fix it in software". Nontechnical (or incompetent-technical*) management used to view software as a panacea, something that could cure hard problems in hardware. They'd introduce all sorts of filtering to remove noise and spurious inputs. Wound up masking problems until they reared their head in the field. Massively expensive to fix and damaging to the company brand (which unfortunately didn't do much as there was only one competitor that had their own issues).

May apply to the airplane field, may not. Have seen it first-hand in more than one industry though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Did Boeing go with FBW with the max?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Article I read mentioned failures in the airspeed indicator avionics and possibly several failures of the same instrument/system multiple times on previous flights. Seems there may have been an identical problem with the other plane they lost late last year.
View Quote
Sounds like Lion Air, plane should have been grounded until the faulty hardware was replaced. Instead they just keep putting them in the air.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sounds like Lion Air, plane should have been grounded until the faulty hardware was replaced. Instead they just keep putting them in the air.
View Quote
A 737 Max fleet grounding seems prudent at this point.
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top