May the victims RIP.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
ost
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the big difference between the MAX8 and previous versions?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From the Wikipedia article on the Lion Air crash:
The CFM International LEAP engines of the 737 MAX have a higher bypass ratio and have a larger nacelle than the engines of previous Boeing 737 models, so the engines are placed higher and further forward in relation to the wing than on previous models. This destabilises the aircraft in pitch at higher angles of attack; to deal with this the MCAS (a stall protection system) flight control augmentation system is fitted to the 737 MAX. Former Boeing engineers expressed the opinion that a nose down command triggered by a sensor single point of failure is a design flaw if the crew is not prepared, and the FAA was evaluating a fix of the possible flaw and investigating if the pilots' transition training is adequate.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
in ingrish?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Who willingly goes to a shit hole country on a shit hole continent?
View Quote
I have flown on that airline coming home from Djibouti.  There were always service members flying in and out of there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have flown on that airline coming home from Djibouti.  There were always service members flying in and out of there.
View Quote
Charter a US airline for the military.

Every seat is configured as the top of the line.  Reclining.  TV.  Lots of room.  First class service.  I will look for an example.

I found a good example:

Flying in style
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The CFM International LEAP engines of the 737 MAX have a higher bypass ratio and have a larger nacelle than the engines of previous Boeing 737 models, so the engines are placed higher and further forward in relation to the wing than on previous models. This destabilises the aircraft in pitch at higher angles of attack; to deal with this the MCAS (a stall protection system) flight control augmentation system is fitted to the 737 MAX. Former Boeing engineers expressed the opinion that a nose down command triggered by a sensor single point of failure is a design flaw if the crew is not prepared, and the FAA was evaluating a fix of the possible flaw and investigating if the pilots' transition training is adequate.
Boeing has evolved the 737 airframe far beyond what it ever should have. They've done their best to make it a 757 and that it will never be. They either should've kept making the 757 or started on the 797 earlier. But the biggest limiting factor now for the 737 that they'll never be able to fix is that the landing gear isn't tall enough.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But the biggest limiting factor now for the 737 that they'll never be able to fix is that the landing gear isn't tall enough.
View Quote
Short stubby legs?   What problems does that cause?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Larger engines don’t have enough ground clearance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
those pics look more like a garbage dump instead of a crash site.

With all that gas there should be burned stuff everywhere including a grass fire.

If that is a pic of the crash site, looks like there was no gas, but that would be extremely unlikely

so something is funky
View Quote
Lots of energy put into that hole. Reminds me of the ATR at Roselawn.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But the biggest limiting factor now for the 737 that they'll never be able to fix is that the landing gear isn't tall enough.
Not enough clearance for proper rotational attitudes on longer fuselages nor enough ground clearance for the bigger engines needed to push bigger fuselages.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#13]
buY
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Government run airline and here's the CEO in a crater for a photo op
https://twitter.com/flyethiopian/status/1104702003924619264

Something tells me there won't be a decent investigation into this.............https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82253/D1Swji_W0AAgLG0_png-872215.JPG
View Quote
I disagree, this is the 2nd MAX 8 thats crashed since october. boeing is going to want to know what the fuck happened.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Africa you say?
View Quote
It’s a great Airline, would rather fly on it than most Asia, Africa, LATAM airlines.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Government run airline and here's the CEO in a crater for a photo op
https://twitter.com/flyethiopian/status/1104702003924619264

Something tells me there won't be a decent investigation into this.............https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82253/D1Swji_W0AAgLG0_png-872215.JPG
View Quote
There will be plenty of US representation from manufacturers and NTSB due to it being a US Hull.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lots of energy put into that hole. Reminds me of the ATR at Roselawn.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/13451/D79D0A04-AB38-4F88-931C-5B3E08AB5977_jpeg-872346.JPG
View Quote
I have not seen a good overhead shot of the crash site.  Does that hole suggest a near vertical impact?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Boeing has evolved the 737 airframe far beyond what it ever should have. They've done their best to make it a 757 and that it will never be. They either should've kept making the 757 or started on the 797 earlier. But the biggest limiting factor now for the 737 that they'll never be able to fix is that the landing gear isn't tall enough.
View Quote
That does appear to be the root of the problem... causing them to mount the LEAP engines in a “destabilizing” location and then relying on the anti-stall system to correct the AoA issue. I wonder if they will accelerate the update to operate from multiple, verified AoA signals?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#19]
That was a brand new Boeing 737-8 Max too.  Delivered in november.

Sounds like there was a distress call before the crash.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tourists and people who live life unlike 87% of GD who eats Cheetos in their Mom's Basement.   I have a trip to Africa in December and I was looking at Ethiopian but ended up using Delta Skymiles for flights on Delta and KLM.

United codeshares with Ethiopian Airlines.   When flying anywhere in the Middle East or Africa and trying to use United points you will more than likely end up on Ethiopian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Military, contractors, aid workers
Tourists and people who live life unlike 87% of GD who eats Cheetos in their Mom's Basement.   I have a trip to Africa in December and I was looking at Ethiopian but ended up using Delta Skymiles for flights on Delta and KLM.

United codeshares with Ethiopian Airlines.   When flying anywhere in the Middle East or Africa and trying to use United points you will more than likely end up on Ethiopian.
According to Arfcom all Africans are basically retarded.  The accident can't be due to a problem with the aircraft designed by 1st world engineers working in 1st world conditions with the components built in 1st world plants.

Kind of stressed out, my Wife and daughter are taking the same route on the way to Dar Es Saalam in June.  Need to check the aircraft they are flying on.

RIP all aboard.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
THE dead also include eight Americans, 32 Kenyans, nine Ethiopians, eight Chinese, seven French, 18 Canadians, six Egyptians, five from the Netherlands, and four from India and Slovakia

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8602706/ethiopian-airlines-crash-passengers-killed-british/
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All the same, I prefer my pilots and maintenance people not to have first names like "Mbembwu."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Military, contractors, aid workers
Tourists and people who live life unlike 87% of GD who eats Cheetohs in their Mom's Basement.   I have a trip to Africa in December and I was looking at Ethiopian but ended up using Delta Skymiles for flights on Delta and KLM.

All the same, I prefer my pilots and maintenance people not to have first names like "Mbembwu."
Ignorance is bliss, look at the countries where a lot of your US planes are sent for maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#23]
https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=25736

Demonstration Alert: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Planned Protest on March 10
Riots/Civil Unrest
Africa > Ethiopia; Africa > Ethiopia > Addis Ababa
3/8/2019

Event:  he U.S. Embassy is aware of calls for a protest to be held on Sunday, March 10, 2019 at Meskel Square. It is unknown whether the protest has been or will be approved by Ethiopian authorities. Protests have already occurred in many parts of the Oromia region since March 6, and additional protests may materialize.

U.S. Embassy personnel are advised to avoid Meskel Square and limit movement around Addis Ababa on Sunday, March 10.  U.S. Government travelers have been advised not to arrive or depart Bole International Airport on Sunday, March 10, and U.S. Embassy personnel are also temporarily prohibited from traveling to Oromia.

Actions to Take:

Monitor local media for updates.
Avoid crowds
Avoid demonstrations.
Be aware of your surroundings.
Keep a low profile.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

+251-111-306-000

+251-111-306-911 or 011-130-6000 (after hours)

[email protected]

https://et.usembassy.gov

State Department  Consular Affairs

888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

Ethiopia Country Information

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Bomb on board?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bomb on board?
View Quote
Doesn't make sense from the standpoint of emergency calls to return to airport.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why not.   The explosion does not immediately destroy the aircraft and they have time to realize that the best option is to return to the airport.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Ever had Ethiopian food?

Neither have they.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why not.   The explosion does not immediately destroy the aircraft and they have time to realize that the best option is to return to the airport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To start off with I know exactly nothing about aircraft bombs or crashes.

I read an earlier post about the lack of fire from burning fuel on the ground. Could a bomb positioned properly near the fuel tanks on the plane cause all the fuel to burn up while the plane is still in the air, thus leaving none to burn when it hits the ground?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have a good buddy flying for them and haven't had a check in yet.  Damn...
View Quote
I hope your friend is ok Man...
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of Americans ride on Ethiopian.

And, this is the 2nd MAX 8 hull since October.
Some are business.  Most are Africans that just happen to have a US passport.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To start off with I know exactly nothing about aircraft bombs or crashes.

I read an earlier post about the lack of fire from burning fuel on the ground. Could a bomb positioned properly near the fuel tanks on the plane cause all the fuel to burn up while the plane is still in the air, thus leaving none to burn when it hits the ground?
View Quote
I suspect that if you breach a fuel tank there is a good chance of an explosion that would rip the plane apart.   Debris would be scattered over a larger distance than with a near vertical impact.  Opinion of course.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

According to Arfcom all Africans are basically retarded.  The accident can't be due to a problem with the aircraft designed by 1st world engineers working in 1st world conditions with the components built in 1st world plants.

Kind of stressed out, my Wife and daughter are taking the same route on the way to Dar Es Saalam in June.  Need to check the aircraft they are flying on.

RIP all aboard.
View Quote
Stay home... Cancel your trip... No need to vacation beyond U.S. borders... Not trying to be a Smartass... It's just not a good time for Americans to be abroad in my opinion...
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#34]
And here is Capt Mbawbwa, future senior pilot of Ethiopian Airlines, inspecting his new found multi-tool.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. The 737 was first designed as a 100ish seat RJ. They’ve stretched it and put band aids on it for 40 years eventually trying to make it a replacement for the 757. It’s not even close. The -900s have ridiculous approach speeds and the Max has several systems in the plane to fix problems caused by the stretching and re-engining of the design.

Honestly when I decided to work for a living again and hop off the 777 to fly a narrow body, one of the reasons, though down the list, I chose the bus vs the 737 is I had no desire to get EMAS dust on my shoes. Plane has been stretched too far.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Ethiopian Airlines crash: Is the Boeing 737 MAX a safe plane? | DW News

I’m sure lots of ARFCOMers are poo pooing this because it’s Ethiopia, but a second 737-Max crash is disconcerting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOItQXp8SH8

I’m sure lots of ARFCOMers are poo pooing this because it’s Ethiopia, but a second 737-Max crash is disconcerting.
View Quote
Very much so.

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Sad news.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I used to want to fly on a new 737max. Now, not so much.
View Quote
It's pretty nice actually
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of Americans ride on Ethiopian.

And, this is the 2nd MAX 8 hull since October.
Hey!
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Those look nothing like Ethiopians, they look like Xhosa.

Africa is a pretty big place you know.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Erratic final seconds of fatal Ethiopian Airline’s flight: Jet’s airspeed plummeted and soared before it crashed killing seven Brits and 150 others attending UN climate summit

An Ethiopian Airlines plane which crashed killing 149 passengers and eight crew just minutes after take-off lost and gained speed dramatically in the final seconds, it has emerged.

The plane heading to Nairobi left Ethiopia this morning but came down within six minutes - 37 miles from Addis Ababa International Airport.

Within the first few minutes after take-off the plane's vertical speed, the rate of climb or descent, varied from 2,624 feet per minute to -1216.

According to Swedish flight-tracking website flightradar24 the flight 'had unstable vertical speed' shortly after take off.

Aviation experts describe this as extremely unusual because once a plane has taken off the vertical speed should rise or remain stable.

Aviation expert Sally Gethin said this may indicate the aircraft stalled.

She said: 'It's the rate of climb or descent - the most critical phases of flight. Instability at that point e.g. too slow - could destabilise the aircraft, potentially risking stalling and other hazardous consequences. It might indicate the pilots had difficulty controlling the climb/ascent.'

An experienced pilot told MailOnline the activity was highly unusual.

More Pics
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think they're San, perhaps?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It’s a great Airline, would rather fly on it than most Asia, Africa, LATAM airlines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Africa you say?
You'd rather fly Ethiopia Air than EVA, Korean Air, and ANA
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You don't think they're San, perhaps?
View Quote
You may be right. I’ve only really visited Port Elisabeth, and most blacks were mixed race there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top