Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 11:17:55 AM EDT
I have a few pistols,prebans and Hi-cap mags
Can I bring them into the state legally also
Do I need to take some safty coarse or is my hunter safty certificate enough???
I shot my first legal buck when I was 7 does that count for anything??? big smile
Thanks
BIG
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Edited 'cause I forgot how to read [;)].

You won't like it in MA.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#2]
There's nothing made that Vermont won't happily take in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll be shot on sight at the state line.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You are joking, right?

Of course you can bring them.  You don't even need a carry permit in VT.  
View Quote

No he said TO MA. [red] IF YOU CAN HELP IT DONT DO IT I REPEAT DO NOT DO IT!!![/RED] pg
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
READ SLOWER I SAID "I AM MOVING TO MASS!!!:(
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

DO NOT DO IT ..........oh yea what part?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I just moved from Mass to NH to get away from the laws.

I'm no lawyer, but I can say safely you'll need to get a Class A Large Capacity Permit, in order to keep your hi-cap pistol mags.  You have a certain amount of time to get it, but your local police chief usually will ask for a safety certificate as proof you've taken a course.  Some want more.  A few Cheif LEO's even require a doctor's note stating you're sane before issuing a permit, but most don't.

Some police chiefs won't issue Class A, but only Class B, which means no pistol hi-caps.

My one piece of advice, research the town you are moving to first.  Call the police chief, and find out if he issues Class A permits, or only Class B.  They won't bite your head off, but they'll tell you up front whether they're on your side or not.

Mass is NOT a fun state to be a gun owner in.  They have many intricate laws that you can innocently overlook (even when moving from one town to another within the state).
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

DO NOT DO IT ..........oh yea what part?
View Quote

EASTHAMPTON area west of 91
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
so your moving to taxachussettes? it's pretty strict especially when it comes to handguns. check out various legal web sites on state specific laws. for example if you take your handguns UNLOADED AND LOCKED  into new york city it doesnt matter what permits you have in some other state or even within newyorks different counties you will be arrested and charged with a felony. Probably you'll plea out to a misdemeanor since you were ignorant of the law but so what? it's not worth it to play games when you record is at stake. the NRA website is one place to check out. Or you could call a gun shop near where your going to live and ask em if they are nice enough. or call the local cops......it would make me to nervous to do that!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Ed and  a smaller town seems to be the better [seems is the key word] . pg
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Easthampton is far enough away from Boston that you shouldn't have a problem getting a Class A permit.  Your gonna have to take a safety class before you can apply though.  I not sure if your hunter safety course will make the grade.  Most of the smaller towns around here will even issue your permit for "all lawful purposes".  Jump through the right hoops and a couple months from now you'll be all set.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
If you can avoid moving to MA, do it!! If you can't, then pick your town very, very carefully! If you can live in Lee, MA do it!! The chief there is a friend of mine, an active shooter and hunter and providing you meet the statutory requirements (which does include a course/cert from a MA-registered trainer) you will get a LTC-A for All Lawful Purposes.

Call GOAL immediately and sign up as a member (508-393-5333) over the phone (tell them Len Segal sent you) and ask them about specific towns, etc. [url]www.goal.org[/url]

Too much mis-information from ill informed dealers and LEOs, so that is not the route to follow to get straight info. [url]www.packing.org[/url] is not bad for MA info (not totally correct either).

Legally, you can bring your firearms in when you move in, but you can NOT move them from your home to the range/carry/etc. until you get your LTC. It takes anywhere from 1 month to 4 months to get your LTC after you take the course and submit all your paperwork. IIRC (not 100% positive on this), you only have 6 months from the date you move in to get your LTC or you are in violation of the law (unlicensed possession). ANY gun law violation no matter how minor (many got $25 fines for leaning a loaded rifle against a truck/car while hunting so they could relieve themselves) or how long ago it happened is a LIFETIME DISQUALIFIER from firearms possession in MA.

The MA gun laws and brief over-views of them are available off of GOAL's website.

Also go to [url]www.largo.org[/url], LARGO is run by Harry Vandoloski who is a GOAL BOD Member and all around good guy. NO cost to be a member of LARGO. Send Harry an Email off the LARGO webpage and ask about towns in Western MA since he is from that area.

Also, buy whatever handguns (other than S&W, since most of their guns are on the MA "approved list") in VT while you still can. VERY few handguns can be legally sold in MA by dealers (restriction is only on dealers, private sales and ownership are NOT restricted), making prices totally ridiculous and limiting supply greatly. Once you get your LTC, you can sell up to 4 guns/year privately and can get more than you paid from the "banned in MA" handguns!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't do it. Stay in Vermont and commute.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Mass gun laws suck. Stay away like the plague, bud.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
there's a lot of Massachusetts "west of Easthampton".  But it should be a class "A" situation.  My friend, Dave, in E'ton said the chief ONLY does class "A" permits.  (whoops, or denied).  Westfield and beyond no data.

But if your close to Greenfield, lets go shootin'!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
From GOAL website:

The law exempts new residents from state licensing requirements for 60 days. However, one may not transport any firearm, rifle or shotgun during that 60-day period, as the exemption is only for possession in the home while applying for the necessary license(s).
View Quote

NOT 6 MONTHS!!! GET YOUR LTC ASAP!!!

Also don't forget:

In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer an assault weapon.

In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer a large capacity magazine or a large capacity ammunition belt.

In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer any part or combination of parts, designed or intended to convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be readily assembled if these parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#18]
You can't bring any of your guns into Mass..................I repeat.......NONE...........send them all to me in NH..I'll take them off your hands for shipping cost..this will save you from going to jail ,so I am doing you a HUGE favour!!............. :')...........I do question your sanity for leaving VT.even if it is the "Pink Mountain State"
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#19]
My favorite newer law was no paper targets with likenesses of people, even Saddam and Osama targets.  These are illegal to possess.

Also, any violation of the law that has a 2 year or more potential sentence, even if not related to a gun in it's commission (this includes DWI or tampering with your car inspection sticker) allows revocation of your permit.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My favorite newer law was no paper targets with likenesses of people, even Saddam and Osama targets.  These are illegal to possess.

Also, any violation of the law that has a 2 year or more potential sentence, even if not related to a gun in it's commission (this includes DWI or tampering with your car inspection sticker) allows revocation of your permit.

View Quote

Sorry dude; that is not the case.  A gun club or "shooting gallery" possessing a "Class A" license (allowing them to sell ammo) can not permit the shooting of a target resembling a human likeness on its property.  This includes “silhouette” type targets, as well as photos and other such representations.  As no rifle or pistol club in Mass. was stupid enough to get one of these (and, to my knowledge, no such Class A club permit has ever been issued) the law does not apply to anyone or any club at this time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The operating legal aspect on moving to Mass (to become one of the Massholes) can be fouind at Massachusetts General Laws chapter 140, section 129C:

'No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

(j) [u]Any new resident moving into the commonwealth,[/u] any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any resident of the commonwealth upon being released from active service with any of the armed services of the United States with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, [u]for 60 days after such release, return or entry into the commonwealth ...[/u]'

(Emphasis added.)

The rule of thumb used to be 30 days (based on an old law that has been rewritten), so watch out for cops who don't realize the law has changed.  I would agree with those who suggest calling the local PD and asking for the firearms licensing officer for advice.  You're going to have to talk to them anyway, so try to start out getting them on your side.

To keep the normal capacity (oops, 'large capacity' here in the Peoples Republic) magazines, you will have to apply for a Class A license.  When you complete the application, use every idea you can to push for an 'all lawful purposes' qualification on the license (versus, say, 'target shooting only').  Transporting valuables is not a shoo-in for this type of application; after all, the police are there to protect you and you don't need that kind of license because they are all so good at their jobs.  (Yeah, right.)  If you say you need it for work, or you have to transport firearms ("firearms" means "handguns" in Masspeak) for the purpose of having them evaluated or appraised, or you are a member of a club that must transport firearms from time to time for maintenance and repair, or ... you get the idea.

Joining a club is also a good idea.  It shows the police that you are a serious shooter who is willing to pay to practice.  The licensing officer will fill you in on all the local rules that are probably illegal, but no one will contravene the chief.  The application process will do the same.

The good news is, if you get an "ALP" permit, you can get a NH non-resident permit by mail (I think).

If you need gunsmithing done, try Swift RIver Gun Works in Belchertown.  Good quality work, but don't be in a hurry.  (Don't laugh folks; that's really the name of a town near E-Ho.)

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for correcting me on the "how long do I have" to get the LTC. I will tell you that 60 days is NOT GOING TO BE ENOUGH TIME to get the LTC!

Thus, make friends with someone locally who can hold your guns and ammo while you await your LTC. If not, you are in violation of the law and can be prosecuted (and lose your gun rights for life).

If you bring your guns with you, you do NOT have to "register" them (in spite of anything different that some will tell you). However, if you bring them in AFTER you move in (let's say after you get your LTC), then you DO have to do an FA-10 on each gun, thus "registering" them with the state!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't do it. Stay in Vermont and commute.
View Quote
Yeah really Vermont is one of the freeist states in the union when looking at Gunlaws (no Permit req to CCW class III irc etc etc.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh Wow, I am so glad that I live in a free state. Where for instance at the range this morning, a friend asked me if I wanted to sell my xyz pistol, and if I had wanted to, all I would have had to do was hand it to him and take his money.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:51:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Are you moving to easthampton or westhampton or southampton? (we are in Whampton..)
Easthampton used to be a pain to get a class A
but they have a new chief. southampton is okay
We are lucky our chief is a Marine and is pro 2nd..

My wife is currently waiting for her renewal which has to date taken 7 months. and we put it in 2months early. the state cops are sitting on all the background checks. (this is state wide BTW)

We have a couple of good ranges in the area too
(westfield sportsman club having some of the best rifle ranges in the area.)
IM or email me for specifics.

The license cost just went to $100 for 4 years too. welcome to mass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:03:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Wildweasel did you enjoy the fireworks in westhampton this year??? [pyro]
See ya at the Outlook big smile
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#27]
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS!!!
"HUM MAYBE THESE FLATLANDERS AINT SO BAD AFTER ALL"!!![;)]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Yea you know my sister and brotherin-law then.
Small world. I think we may have met at one of her partys. (I have a camo tracker.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to live there,moving out of that state was the best thing I ever did. I'm no longer a masshole.Thats what my brother used to call me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top