Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2001 8:58:33 AM EDT
Okay.  I am a USGI man, and do not have much, if any, experience with Orlites.  I have a chance to buy a large lot of Isreali Orlites.

My questions are:  based on your honest experiences with these mags, are they worth 9.00 a piece?  How do they compare with USGI's?  How long is their "lifespan"?, Springlife?  

Any responses are appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I only own 9 orites all of them work fine in my Colt.  Couldn't vouch for durability though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I know that they that they require some "sanding" for Bushmasters.  Is this also a major problem?
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#3]
My dept thought it would be a good idea to switch to orlite mags instead of usgi mags we were carrying in the patrol cars.

after 1 week (that is 7 days) we had enough problems that we are now using usgi mags again

(cracked, melted, non-feedind, poor fit, and dont even get me started about drop testing)

if you feel the need to fill the void in your life with a plastic mag buy a pez dispenser.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine work.

Everyone likes the GI mags so much, but they are fragile and practically disposable if they didn't cost so damn much.  They break and fail with age more than Thermolds or Orlites in my experience.

The mag is a weak link in the AR system.  OTOH you could drive nails with an AK mag.

You might want to buy the Orlites at the right price and use them at the range and for plinking just to save wear and tear on your GIs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
USGI Mags fragile and disposable?  Not in my world!  I have found that the Orlites and Thermolds are "fragile" and develop problems over time.  Especially the feed lips.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Gee Wolfer, wanna trade mags?  ;-)  If you drop a loaded GI mag on the lips on a hard surface, kiss it goodbye.  Plastic mags don't much care about that type of abuse.

I have blown up one AR myself which had a Thermold in it.  The mag burst inside the mag well and the baseplate came off and dumped the rounds on the ground as well as the follower and spring.  I picked up the pieces and put it back together and it worked fine.  OTOH a buddy of mine blew up an AR with a GI mag in it and the GI mag was history.

I'd still rather have a GI mag all things considered.  But the plastic mags can do some things a GI mag can't, and GI mags have their own series of problems.

Anyway, I think everyone would agree that cheap Orlites make decent range mags.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm kind of a USGI guy myself.

I've got a dozen orlites, some new, some used. Had to modify all the orlites to fit my bushmaster by taking some plastic off the top of the rail that butts against the mag well (Don't remove all of the mag rail). They all fit in my colt without mods.

Of the used orlites only 3 of the 6 used ones were "usable" the other three had lip problems. I guess they were "really"' used.

The new orlites were good, no lip problems.

In a run and gun match I had one used orlite spill his guts inside the chamber with the bolt open when I really slammed him home. I had one new and two used orlites spill their guts when they fell on a hard surface (dry dirt) during a mandatory mag change. I don't know if that's a problem. You can make all the orlites spill their guts of you squeeze them right.

Someone is selling orlites with the mag rail completely ground off. Had a few of these. I slammed one home on an open bolt an the sucker went all the way up into the chamber and jammed, took me all night to get it out. Those mag rails are their for a reason, to keep from jamming the mag up in the chamber and hanging on the bolt. I sold those orlites.

I never have any of these problems with even the most used of USGI mags.

I have had a thermold spill its guts on me but only once when I squeesed it just right.

Link Posted: 2/5/2001 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the thermolds over orlites myself...
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
lets see (orilite thermomold)
are all crap!!!!!!!!!

as far as cost well I get USGI 30's for $20.00 new in wrapper

sorry guys but there is no warm fuzzy place for over glorified pez dispensers...........
Link Posted: 2/6/2001 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
So, we're all agreed (except XM15E2; a good gun by the way) that they are worth 8.00 bucks a piece then?
Link Posted: 2/6/2001 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Orlite mags labelled 21 or higher are just fine in a Bushy. Just check to insure there are no cracks/splits at the rear of the lips. That's the only area that I've seen problems.

If the Orlites you are looking at are in real good shape, then $9 a piece is a very good price. Go for it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2001 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got back from a two week deployment with my reserve unit from Curacao. We went on an exchange with the Dutch Marines. Got to run a few hundred rounds through their C7's ans LSW's. The Dutch use solely Orlite mags. Many (I almost wanna say most)of the mags I saw had feed lip cracks in the rear of the mag. The mags, most of the time would literally "spit" out the 30th round. The Dutch absolutely loved the metal USGI mags. Said they were much more durable. They're issued the Orlites, they know how well they work, so I'll go with their verdict. I cleaned up with my 2 USGI mags I had for trade. Came home with 4 Royal Netherlands Marine Korps berets, 3 of their issue DPM t-shirts and one orlite mag.

Sherm8404

P.S. The Orlites do not work in our M249 SAW
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I would totally jump on that price for Orlite mags, and I have a Bushy. At Denver gunshows, Orlites are going for $20 and USGI for $30. At those prices, I buy USGI.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I have several Orlites, and they work fine in my PWA's.  The higher mold numbered Orlites have steel mesh under the polymer to give the upper 1/4 of the magazine more strength.  Yeah, I too prefer USGI, but $8 or $9 apiece dose'nt sound too bad.  Although a couple of weeks ago I bought some USGI mags in about 90-95% for $10 apiece.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using Thermolds in my Bushy, and they work great. NIW for $18 per at the local gunshop. Orlites work OK. My SHTF setup contains both Thermold and USGI issue. Orlite is OK for the range, but I will not trust it with my life, at any cost!
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]
pdalko, if you got some bad mags that jammed so bad it took all night to get it out why would you sell it to somone else.  The buck has to stop somewhere.  I see a lot of people on this sight recommending similar actions. Don't be that guy!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#18]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Stubbs, I love mine. If the Mold numbers are rigt Id take a few off your hands if you get any!
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 4:01:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I only shoot Orlites lately.  I shoot Orlites and collect USGI.  No problem with Orlites in my Bushmaster lowers with serial no. over 20.  Never had a magazine feed problem after about 1,500 rounds.  USGI mags are nice and pretty, but way too expensive.  Drop an Orlite on its lip on concrete - It bounces, but don't drop a USGI on its lip, its history.  

I'll take a few if they are new and priced right!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top