User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's a quote with a link to that further up this page.
View Quote
I just cruised through that thread.  Man, the internet was different place 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a 30-06 given to me that was missing a magazine follower on top of the spring.  Used it as a single shot the first year.
Took it to a gun smith after deer season and said no rush, just before next deer season.
A year later I called and he said haven't gotten to it, check back in a week.
Week later, Oh ya try later today around 4.
4 O'clock, just putting it back together now, should be done in 30 min.

Go pick it up, nothing was done to it.  Said they didn't get a chance to get to it.....

Took it to a different smith and was done the next day for $25.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had a well respected local gunsmith polish and reblue a Commander size 1911 clone.  He rounded off the extractor hole and then tightened a grip screw down so much that it was jammed into the bushing.  When I took the grips off, the bushing came out with the screw.  I will never use or recommend him again.

I once had to threaten to sue a well known former gunsmith that had been recommended in Peterson's Handguns just to get my two S&W pistols back.  I had sent them in for trigger jobs.  It wasn't 14 months, but just a hair shy of a year.  I was originally quoted 3-4 months, and starting at month 6 I keep getting promises that weren't kept and the run around whenever I called.  I honestly thought they had lost both Smiths, or they were stolen, and they didn't want to let me know.  After 11 months, including 5 months of excuses and broken promises, I sent the company a letter telling them that I wanted the guns back, fixed or not fixed, or I would sue to have them returned to me.  FWIW, that gunsmith worked for a company, and they did have clerical staff and counter staff that helped him out.  Communication was non-existant there.  In hindsight, i'm glad I threatened to sue, since that smith left a couple of months later and who knows when I would have gotten my guns back!

A buddy and I both had ex-91/30 Mosin-Nagant snipers that we wanted to turn back into snipers.  We took them to a local gunsmith that specialized in rifles to have the screws drilled out and holes retapped.  I even provided the bits and tap to the smith.  The smith looked it over and said it wouldn't be a problem for him.  When we went to pick them up, he had charged each of us an extra $100.  It turns out that he burned out his drill press motor drilling the screws out, and charged us for a new motor.  When we objected, he said it was either pay the money or he will keep our guns.  We paid, but I swore that I would never use him again for anything.  IMHO, he was stupid.  He got us for an extra $100 each, but he probably lost thousands in additional business we would have given him or recommended to him.  This smith was also a big racist.  When we picked up our rifles, he bragged to my friend and I that if he saw a black man pull up to his shop, he'd lock the door since he wouldn't do any work for *******.  After my dealings with him and listening to his rant, I thought he was a scumbag and swore that I would never use him for anything or recommend him to anyone.

After these experiences, I either do my own work (including learning how to do something) or just do without.
View Quote
Where in AL was the gunsmith that reblued the 1911? If it was north AL, I have a good idea who it is...
I could write a book about this gunsmith and the retarded shit he's done... I'm ashamed to have done business with him but eventually had enough and we told him to go fuck himself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I had some jerk take a pretty decent (but slightly rusted) original ppk down to parts and proceed to "coat" it with Duracoat bought over the internet and a model train sprayer. couldn't even get the gun back together with a mallet. ended up selling to a gunshop for pennies on the dollar.

then this same jackwagon takes apart a 1911 to try and fit a new magwell the day before a match, and can't get it back together. had to go running to a different shop with the proverbial "Bag of gun" to get it fixed in a hurry.

oh to be clear, I'm the jackass in the first 2 stories

all my worst smith things were projects I thought I could do and got over my head. I was younger and knew less, but that's how you learn. That and youtube.

I've had great luck with real smiths. Sent a range officer slide out to a competition smith and he did a perfect job tri topping it. sent a rusted piece of what used to be a hunting rifle to a smith on this forum and he did better than I could imagine. Only issue was he didn't charge enough. had some milling done by L&M years ago and it was perfect.

I made peace with the rule "Good, fast, cheap... pick any 2".
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much this. I am an ACGG Associate Member, the Master smiths are as much artists as mechanics. The only thing I would add to your comment is to charge money for working on guns you do need to have a FFL and in some states (like mine) additional licensing and zoning approvals. I would also add to the members here that using a smith that cannot demonstrate Product Liability coverage is just plain stupid.

SPG

Quoted:

That's not a thing...

unless you are talking about a business license...

Just like the the term "Master Gunsmith" in America

If you are not part of the https://www.acgg.org/ and have not gone through he process of becoming a "Master gunsmith" (Basically proving your master skills) you are not one. (This is not a law/rule just my opinion)

I am a gunsmith...I am not a master gunsmith...
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Ordered a custom AR during the assault weapons ban.
I knew the rifle was almost complete but gunsmith was having trouble getting bolts so gun wasn’t expected to be complete until early following year.
Went shopping week before Christmas and had a big purchase lined up as a gift and my debit card was declined? Puzzling as I knew I had $2000 in checking.
Had to leave the store empty handed as I didn’t have any other payment method handy.
Called my bank next day to find out the gunsmith charged me for the rifle. Called him and was told rifle was shipped and on the way.
Was kind of glad I would have rifle in hand as it was going to be my present to myself.
When it arrived without a bolt I was less than thrilled!
His attitude was I could use any bolt until he got them back in stock and did eventually send one to me. Would have been nice to communicate that with me beforehand.

In the end, the rifle turned out to be one of my favorite guns and was a super tack driver turning in incredible groups.
Unfortunately, when my wife was sick I needed funds and it had to go. Killed me to sell that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Learned to shoot as a kid with a semi auto .22 that had an under barrel tube feed.
Don’t even remember the brand.
Hadn’t shot for a few years and decided to go to a local indoor range.
The .22 wouldn’t feed anything. People at the range suggested a gunsmith in a LGS.
Gave it to smith and explained what it was doing.
Got the gun back 2 months later and cost $50 assured it was good to go.
Took it straight to the range and now when pulled the trigger once it would fire 2 rounds and then jam.
Back to the smith. Explained what it was doing and he said that it was doing the same thing for him too???? WTF
I was so pissed, and no refund.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top