Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2001 7:04:31 AM EDT
[?]I was wondering what would be the chepest way to get an AR-15, buy all the parts for it and build it yourself or buy the whole thing at a gunshow or other place? Any help is appreciated![?]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Ig this is your first AR, and unless you have built a gun before, I would recommend buying a complete weapon.  New.  From a company that will back it up.

Bushmaster is a good choice IMO.  Don't buy at a gun show, buy at a store you can return to with problems.

Another obvious choice for cost savings is the LEGP rifle for sale by guys on this board.  It offers very good value for the $$$ and is only $660.

James
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Jimmybcool is correct, the [b]LEGP Rifle[/b] is an obvious choice...  He played with mine 2 weeks ago during an Arizona AR15.COM shoot that was hosted by "Top Crest" a couple of weeks ago.

This is a project that has been undertaken by my business partner and I ([i]Grin&Barrett - also a Moderator here[/i])

You can get all of the necessary info and even ORDER one of these, at [url]www.castle-arms.com[/url]

Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Just my .02,
I built my first AR about 2 years ago.
I really got into it. Great fun.
Though time consuming and frustating at times.
Especially if you don't have access to "Tools".

But I did not save any money over the cost of buying one complete generic rifle.
(2,years ago yes. Now..., I don't think so)
The main thing I got was pride in a rifle that I pretty much assembled by myself and with lot's of help from people here.

The LEGP Rifle is less than I had spent to put together my Frankengun, and it comes with that all important factory warrantee. [:D]

If this is your first AR, you really should think about The LEGP Rifle.
You will get a better(Factory assembled) rifle for the same $$ and it will have re-sale value if that time ever comes.

Your home built rifle might not.
At least not as much.

Good luck either way. If you need any help,
there are many here who will give you guidance.

Peace,
Delmarksman
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an Armalite that I bought complete. SInce then I have been shopping around for a Bushmaster with the M4 config on it. In my experiences it would be much cheaper to just buy one. I'm sure you could buy a lesser rifle from a kit and build it cheaper than you could buy a new complete rifle if you were comparing to Colt or BM.
Figure out what you want and shop around. Then buy a shotgun news and see what the parts would cost you and go from there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Jimmybcool is correct, the [b]LEGP Rifle[/b] is an obvious choice...  He played with mine 2 weeks ago during an Arizona AR15.COM shoot that was hosted by "Top Crest" a couple of weeks ago.

This is a project that has been undertaken by my business partner and I ([i]Grin&Barrett - also a Moderator here[/i])

You can get all of the necessary info and even ORDER one of these, at [url]www.castle-arms.com[/url]

View Quote

It would be well worth the little extra to purchase the [b]LEGP Rifle[/b] form Castle Arms.  They put together a real winner.

There has been only one unhappy customer - a Mr. RoyDMercer... but that is being rectified as he is sending his "defective" rifle which causes him to go through ammo at an alarming rate to my home address.  I will try to fix the problem but it will probably take months - perhaps years and thousands of rounds before we will be able to get the bottom of things.

BTW - any other [b]LEGP Rifle[/b] owners who are having a similar problem are welcome to ship theirs to me as well and I will do my best to rectify this mysterious malfunction!

Seriously AR-15 Lover... I bet you will be a happy camper with the [b]LEGP Rifle[/b].  Just try your best to control the rate at which the ammo disappears [:D]

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Oly Stripped Lower and a Parts kit from SARCO- $350.00 + $120-30-40 or whatever,
is the CHEAPEST.

But< you will be getting the CHEAPEST quality gun out possible.>

The Group Purchase gun is really nice looking, and a good deal for those who enjoy shooting 16" guns.

DPMS Complete uppers are about $500.00
CAV complete lowers are $270.00 (I think)

This is how I wil build all of my AR's from now on.
DPMS/CAV
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
AR Lover,

I know I probably sound like your old man or older brother but, why don't you just save your pennies and get yourself the rifle you really want. Sure you might not have the rifle next week however, when you do get that tool of your dreams you'll have that hi-pro glo and whoosh!!! !!! Compare this if you will to picking up women. all the really good ones take time and effort to land right?? Sure you can go right out and grab some skank in a bar to do your thing but, the next day you feel guilty and all you have is a skank on your hands. In other words your "not" and "will not" be satisfied.

Same rules apply to anything especially weapons. My first AR was a Pre-ban Colt CAR-15. Took me awhile to save but, when it arrived....man it was something. When I cleared the action and put that bad boy in my shoulder I was definitly glad that I hadn't made a hasty decision. I waited and purchased the rifle that I really wanted.

There's many different viewpoints on this board and that's what makes it so valuable here. Take all the info in and make an educated decision. Good luck. O3 Out!!!  [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Build it! I am telling ya there is no feelng like the one ya get when you put that last part on, This is now MY rifle, I put it together, I gave it life, and it belongs to ME. And it is what YOU wanted in the first place!

Rew  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I gotta go with build. I do not have a lot of "disposable income" but I went to gun shows after doing my research and picked up a part here, and a part there. Within two months I had all I needed and by following the directions on the old AR15.com build a ver good rifle. In addition to having an ar, you then know exactly how it works. With several years in the Army I always understood how one worked, but the crap in the lower always worried me. Now I know how many parts there are, and what each one does. I would highly reccomend building.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are technically proficient, biuld your own. You won't have a factory warrantee, and likely won't need one.  If you are mechanically challenged, don't do it.  Remember that there are LOTS of small parts and some specialized tools onvolved.  Buy the lower thru your FFL, and then buy an assembled upper from the same manufacturer.  Frankenguns tend to be trouble, especially if you mix brands between upper and lower receiver....................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top