Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a lot riding on this case.

If we can't win this one,  I'm afraid we won't be winning again anytime in the foreseeable future.
View Quote
You dont have to win this one to make it hurt.  Lawyers aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
do the words Ted Kennedy and Joe Biden mean anything to you?
View Quote
Good point. An embarrassing point too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#4]
thats a damn good lawyer they have, most feared in the US for defamation cases, it will take a while, but they will be sorry they slandered Nick, judged by 12 in Kentucky will not go well
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
So, they're suing the toothless, hobo, injun? That's a bold strategy...
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everyone else probably will too. The media will say he lied to them and that's why they said the things they did.  When lawsuits happen everyone gets sued.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
He deserves a good beatdown, applied by a man who knows how to give a professional beating.  He then ought to be allowed to heal.  And given that beating again.

Just a lawsuit?  Dude won't care one bit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the idea of lawsuits against the media as a strategy when they are caught outright lying like this.

They are acting as a wholly partisan organ of the democratic party, and it totally substantiates Trump's "fake news" moniker.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Lin Wood is the attorney for Nick Sandman.

Nice smackdown.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1818/7064C9BD-7012-49DC-A67B-D88F7E422129_jpeg-842306.JPG

Lin Wood is the attorney for Nick Sandman.

Nice smackdown.
View Quote
Link to the story mentioned in the tweet above: Cincinnati.com
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:07:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He deserves a good beatdown, applied by a man who knows how to give a professional beating.  He then ought to be allowed to heal.  And given that beating again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like a drum.

Hey eheeyyyaa heya eyah heyah
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:25:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I would sue Nathan for his teeth since he has no money. Then I would have them fashioned into a necklace as a trophy like they were a bear's claws.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hope they all get Gawkered then they all pull a Bud Dwyer
View Quote
To all those with twitter accounts that would like to bring justice to Gizmodo Media Group (current owners of Gawker Media) Bring this to the attention of Lin Wood.

Bring these non apologetic pieces of shit authors and articles under the 2nd round of fire.
Links left cold. Only open in private windows with ad blockers and noscript.
https://www.theroot.com/the-next-generation-of-maga-hat-wearing-bigots-besiege-1831894971
https://www.theroot.com/an-open-apology-to-the-covington-catholic-maga-hat-hara-1831957176

Full articles in spoilers, for those that need to know, but can't keep a site from making profit off of libel.
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To all those with twitter accounts that would like to bring justice to Gizmodo Media Group (current owners of Gawker Media) Bring this to the attention of Lin Wood.

Bring these non apologetic pieces of shit authors and articles under the 2nd round of fire.
https://www.theroot.com/the-next-generation-of-maga-hat-wearing-bigots-besiege-1831894971
https://www.theroot.com/an-open-apology-to-the-covington-catholic-maga-hat-hara-1831957176

Full articles in spoilers, for those that need to know, but can't keep a site from making profit off of libel.
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
You'd be wasting Mr. Wood's time. He's not going to go after hyperbolic opinion like that. He's a good attorney and he more or less indicated his strategy in the Cincinnati.com article.

One, he's going to claim Sandmann is NOT a limited-purpose public figure. Two, he's going to go after those who he believes meets his reading of Milkovich: "Opinions that convey false facts, that imply the existence of undisclosed defamatory facts, or that are based upon false or incomplete facts are legally actionable."

That's a challenge in Kentucky because of the 1999 Kentucky Supreme Court decision mentioned in the Cincinnati.com article. But, Wood is a dogged attorney who fights until the bitter end, and somewhere in that list of people or outlets he may be able to find a situation under which the person or outlet went too far and isn't 1A protected.

Whenever Wood files his suit(s) there will be a long round of pre-trial maneuvering in which most of the purported defendants will be able to wriggle free from liability for a variety of reasons. But, at least a few will have much shakier legal defenses, and those will be the ones he pursues.

As an example, the comments that Bill Maher made while nasty and uncalled for, were clearly hyperbolic opinions and editorializing by a known comedian. A slander case vs Maher and HBO would be highly unlikely to survive a summary judgment motion. Which is why it was mentioned that Wood may pursue other avenues of attack like the intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Straight libel/slander claims will almost assuredly be focused more on actual journalists and news outlets that made factual sounding claims that turned out to be false. Even then, it is a tough row to hoe, but if anyone can do it, Wood can. That said, I wouldn't expect actual libel/slander claims to go very far except versus a few very egregious cases, and those will likely take years to resolve unless an outlet or deep-pocketed person decides to settle. These cases last an inordinately long amount of time, so be prepared to not really see much in the way of outcomes until 2-3+ years down the road. And that's rather optimistic.

I don't think Wood will prevail on his belief that Sandmann is not a limited-purpose public figure because of the outsized amount of coverage this situation received, and because he did media interviews himself in regards to the controversy. And if he doesn't prevail on that point, an actual malice standard comes into play which is much more difficult to prove.

Wood knows what he is doing, and there's likely someone who will end up paying the piper, but if you think broad swaths of the media are going to be held accountable for creating the online mob that went after the Covington Catholic kids, you are destined to be disappointed. That said, I hope those that knowingly reported false things about the Covington kids, and those that outright invented false facts get their comeuppance. Just understand that the quest for justice in this situation will likely last until well after these kids have graduated COLLEGE.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You'd be wasting Mr. Wood's time. He's not going to go after hyperbolic opinion like that. He's a good attorney and he more or less indicated his strategy in the Cincinnati.com article.

One, he's going to claim Sandmann is NOT a limited-purpose public figure. Two, he's going to go after those who he believes meets his reading of Milkovich: "Opinions that convey false facts, that imply the existence of undisclosed defamatory facts, or that are based upon false or incomplete facts are legally actionable."

That's a challenge in Kentucky because of the 1999 Kentucky Supreme Court decision mentioned in the Cincinnati.com article. But, Wood is a dogged attorney who fights until the bitter end, and somewhere in that list of people or outlets he may be able to find a situation under which the person or outlet went too far and isn't 1A protected.

Whenever Wood files his suit(s) there will be a long round of pre-trial maneuvering in which most of the purported defendants will be able to wriggle free from liability for a variety of reasons. But, at least a few will have much shakier legal defenses, and those will be the ones he pursues.

As an example, the comments that Bill Maher made while nasty and uncalled for, were clearly hyperbolic opinions and editorializing by a known comedian. A slander case vs Maher and HBO would be highly unlikely to survive a summary judgment motion. Which is why it was mentioned that Wood may pursue other avenues of attack like the intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Straight libel/slander claims will almost assuredly be focused more on actual journalists and news outlets that made factual sounding claims that turned out to be false. Even then, it is a tough row to hoe, but if anyone can do it, Wood can. That said, I wouldn't expect actual libel/slander claims to go very far except versus a few very egregious cases, and those will likely take years to resolve unless an outlet or deep-pocketed person decides to settle. These cases last an inordinately long amount of time, so be prepared to not really see much in the way of outcomes until 2-3+ years down the road. And that's rather optimistic.

I don't think Wood will prevail on his belief that Sandmann is not a limited-purpose public figure because of the outsized amount of coverage this situation received, and because he did media interviews himself in regards to the controversy. And if he doesn't prevail on that point, an actual malice standard comes into play which is much more difficult to prove.

Wood knows what he is doing, and there's likely someone who will end up paying the piper, but if you think broad swaths of the media are going to be held accountable for creating the online mob that went after the Covington Catholic kids, you are destined to be disappointed. That said, I hope those that knowingly reported false things about the Covington kids, and those that outright invented false facts get their comeuppance. Just understand that the quest for justice in this situation will likely last until well after these kids have graduated COLLEGE.
View Quote
You raise good points Rainer of Alabama. I will undo bold & red text since it does stand out well with the spoiler boxes alone.

Though the Maher situation is also further unique is that he did his skit in the days after it was unveiled as a sham.

As is the lack of retractions and doubling down on calling them klansmen in the newer article, even after they acknowledge that they know that they were tolerantly ignoring the Black Israelites, which even the SPLC a acknowledges as a hate group. I still think keeps a chance that 12 Kentuckians will have some good odds going to side with the intentional infliction of emotional distress angle. If it can pass a SLAPP sniff test there would still be the inevitable settlements, since Bryan Goldberg is pitching a takeover bid for Gizmodo at the moment.

Still, I can't think of many successful libel cases that have happened in decent lengths of time, so cyberbullying does still remain the best avenue. Cyberbullying does have some relatively new steam in it's sails after the Daily Stormer case that really targets the likes of Kathy Griffith in this situation. With the school closing for a stint and all  amid non exaggerated safety concerns, plus the harassment campaigns against the families involved.

If nothing else Wood could bounce this around other interested parties.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#17]
well, that will get some attention!
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
He, He. That howl you hear is Catherine Graham.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a lot riding on this case.

If we can't win this one,  I'm afraid we won't be winning again anytime in the foreseeable future.
You dont think they have corporate lawyers already on the payroll? Nothing will hurt them but punitive damages.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope they all get Gawkered then they all pull a Bud Dwyer

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
You see, they are never wrong no matter what. Even if it's all a hoax the original point remains. If no current evidence exists at all we can blame actions of people from 150 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like they mean business, and I love it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:42:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I want to believe
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You dont think they have corporate lawyers already on the payroll? Nothing will hurt them but punitive damages.
View Quote
B list actors. No, I don't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I could see them settling for humiliating public apologies from Kathy Griffin, Alyssa Milano, Jim Carrey, etc, and free tuition plus apologies from the diocese, while continuing discovery against all the media assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I REALLY hope they don't take a settlement.  This whole affair needs to get completely played out in public with massive exposure.

Or maybe take a settlement with someone not participating.  Make them bleed cash, and then use the holdout to have the very public court case anyway with the holdout as plantiff.  I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if that's actually possible.
I could see them settling for humiliating public apologies from Kathy Griffin, Alyssa Milano, Jim Carrey, etc, and free tuition plus apologies from the diocese, while continuing discovery against all the media assholes.
$%^& YEA
humiliating apologies from those with more face than $, and $ from those with more $ than face.
Good answer. Good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#28]
oops
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$%^& YEA
humiliating apologies from those with more face than $, and $ from those with more $ than face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I REALLY hope they don't take a settlement.  This whole affair needs to get completely played out in public with massive exposure.

Or maybe take a settlement with someone not participating.  Make them bleed cash, and then use the holdout to have the very public court case anyway with the holdout as plantiff.  I'm not a lawyer, I don't know if that's actually possible.
$%^& YEA
Including an admission they published fake news.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whoa!  That would be great!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks like the family hired the right man for the job, L. Lin Wood.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not good enough, but perhaps a start.  Make 'em squirm.  Make sure they NEVER pull this shit again, and everyone else is deathly afraid of even THINKING about pulling this shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is weak.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Probably just doing early damage control. I hope they're running scared
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That is weak.
View Quote
Not even an apology.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not even an apology.
View Quote
And how long did it take them to correct it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I hope he owns their ass like Hulk Hogan did Gawker.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hope he owns their ass like Hulk Hogan did Gawker.
View Quote
Tear their assholes from the outside in and emerge from their cranial cavity.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Eldersuit.  Good
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is that not proof of wrong doing? Them making a “correction” and deleting tweets a month and a half later.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I hope there are journalism schools updating their media ethics class content for Fall 2019
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hope there are journalism schools updating their media ethics class content for Fall 2019
View Quote
LOL, they will.

And then when the kiddos get out into "the real world" they'll be told none of that shit matters when being first to the table and when those clicks are on the line.

It will take a great deal of rethinking the process in which the current news media works and of course thinking hard about their bias to fix this which means to me it aint' getting fixed anytime soon.  The adults in the room all went to work in Silicon Valley and some kind of finance stock trading field anyway.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Discovery and his testimony will be very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
WaPo ran Indian activist's interview without fact-checking anything he said. It was journalistic malpractice and blatant negligence. Basic fact-checking would have shown him to be a liar. IANAL, but IMO they can only evade a settlement by saying it was commentary not news.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah... Hooking up with your Grindr friend, S&M, fisting, meth anal secretion, and dying in a flea bag hotel needs an updated class as well.

https://theblast.com/ktla-anchor-chris-burrous-died-overdose-crystal-meth-anus/
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well if the fraud ain't homeless now hopefully he will be.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah... Hooking up with your Grindr friend, S&M, fisting, meth anal secretion, and dying in a flea bag hotel needs an updated class as well.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
During the death investigations, officials were told Burrous, who leaves behind a wife and young daughter, did not have a history of drug or alcohol abuse, and apparently only used drugs recreationally.
cuz recreational use of illegal drugs isn't abuse
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn! That nasty bastard was married and had a kid.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top