BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 91
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many remember $99 Glock mags during the ban.   But 50 round boxes of 9 was about $4
View Quote
I remember selling a beta mag for $750.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
+87 to this idea.

The 94-2004 ban sucked.
The Obama panic sucked but only in terms of prices.

We are living in a golden age of cheap ammo, lowers, barrels and magazines, and quality and variety are amazing.
Stock up. Get your 80%s. Buy privately. If we are unfortunate, we have about 700-odd days before a potential ban hits us, of pretty much everything. Hope I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I have five or six of those boxes put back, so I am golden.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what really sucks is when a panic hits and you remember all the cheap shit you saw a year earlier, and are now kicking yourself because you didn't buy when you had the chance
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op is right.
what really sucks is when a panic hits and you remember all the cheap shit you saw a year earlier, and are now kicking yourself because you didn't buy when you had the chance
Even worse is seeing the prices, *knowing* you'll regret not buying much/anything, but keeping your cash/card in your pocket because you've got a budget.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The restrictions on shipping ammo to Cali have limited the buying some...
View Quote
Use an address in Arizona
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
thanks Captain Obvious.  Ammo will never, ever be cheaper
View Quote
Maybe not, but just one ammo tax and it might never be considered cheap ever again. Democrats love them some taxes. Imagine a .10 cent per round tax, and how just that would basically double ammo costs forever.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reminder OP. Just scooped up another 1K rds of M193 for .21 cents per round
View Quote
Thats pretty good.
Where from, if I may ask?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:24:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get over to natchezss. 9mm blazer brass for $169 with a $40 rebate if you get two cases(or something else to get over $300). Plus use active junky to get 2% cash back, so .137 a round shipped. Can’t beat that with a stick. That’s after the vista rebate as well. Can order up to 20 cases for the rebate.

@taulce02
View Quote
Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Where can I get a box for that cheap?

Hawaii sucks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Check this site daily for ammo deals

Gun-deals.com

Txl
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I really started accumulating ammo back in 1987-88. I'm 65 now and don't think there's ANYWAY to shoot all my stash. I gave one of my 650s' to my son and will NEVER be able to load all my components. I'm buying lower parts kit and other replacement parts. I'm shooting a lot nowadays ,,more than ever actually. If I could just find some CHEAP .460 Rowland.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Stock up on ammo, sure, but of course it might be cheaper in the future.  People have been saying ammo will never be cheaper for the last two years, and the price keeps going down.

As for guns, grandfathering as a concept is dead.  If you're worried about future bans you just need one fighting AR with a suppressor and NV, and a backup, and training so you know what you're doing with it.

We're just in different times than the 94 ban.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stock up on ammo, sure, but of course it might be cheaper in the future.  People have been saying ammo will never be cheaper for the last two years, and the price keeps going down.

As for guns, grandfathering as a concept is dead.  If you're worried about future bans you just need one fighting AR with a suppressor and NV, and a backup, and training so you know what you're doing with it.

View Quote
It really is crazy...

I don't think national forfeiture or confiscation will be on the table for a while, but I could very well be wrong.

It's downright criminal that the SC isn't stepping in and squashing these state and local things post-haste.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I just did an audit and feel ok for the near future.

I really just need to replace what I shoot the most. 9mm, .38, .45s.

I should have enough spare 556/223 for competitions this year without dipping below 10k but should get another case of cheap ammo just in case.

And I need powder/bullets/primers for .38s.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I should probably buy some PMAGS to sell when people start panic buying again. Does anyone remember the days when they sold for $70-100 each?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#17]
And store it out of sight so you forget how much you have. That always keeps me buying more.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Newbies especially, but there are plenty of gun veterans who have little to no ammo on hand. Many of you guys were not old enough to buy guns in 2012/2013, and during the other cluster fuck gun panics, so you have no clue what that bullshit is like. I can promise you it sucks when you head to the gun shop / Walmart / online and you cant find a box of .22LR to save your life. The same goes when the cheapest ar-15 you can find is $1500 bucks, and 30 rd p-mags are $50.00.

Every store is flush with cheap easy to find ammo, cheap mags and cheap guns, and gun parts. you better be stocking up, and I don't just mean on guns, guns need ammo and spare parts. Get off your ass and start buying ammo. The 2020 election is not far away and you want to be sitting pretty when that bastard gets here.

start stocking up.

( yes, be active as well and politic, contribute to progun orgs etc, but none of that will help you in a tard driven panic. )
View Quote

Well said indeed!
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hope people heed this advice.
View Quote
Yes indeed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#20]
My UPS guy hated me back in the day when 70k rounds of ammunition showed up at the door in one delivery.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I was just explaining this to a number of friends yesterday. I figure there process will last maybe another month or two at most.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Lived through every ban and panic since I turned 18 in 1982. OP is correct.

How many crazy things that Cali starts also spread to the rest of the country?

Remember when you could buy a good gas can in America? Not anymore all because of CARB.

They will follow California when it comes to shipping ammo,then expand to the tax section.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly this.  That grandfathering written in to the '94 ban won't happen the next time.  Quality over quantity in your firearms; I've got another 4 AR range toys slated for removal from the collection, those funds will be rolled in to more ammo, magazines, and spare parts.  My two primary 'social' AR's have exact duplicate backup's, the same for my primary carry handguns.  Ammo, magazines, and spare parts are your bottleneck, focus on them; I'd rather one AR with a backup and a metric ton of ammo than a safe full of AR's that I can't feed for the long term.

I've been playing the firearms game for many years now, have had the opportunity to build up a large ammo fort, gone through firearms buying streaks collecting all the latest and greatest, lived through the legal games our 'masters' play and have come to the conclusion that quality is everything.

For the newer folks, get the highest quality AR you can afford and stay away from running down the 'tacti-cool' rabbit hole; make ammo, and as @whoanelly posted, the training to use your weapons effectively the first priority; OP is right, the time is now...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been here since 2001, I've seen it happen a couple of times now.

You're not wrong, buy as much as you can during these times.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I got into guns in 2011. Your warning is well received.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hind sight is always 20/20!
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hawaii sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hawaii sucks.
You'll need one of these

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Exactly this.  That grandfathering written in to the '94 ban won't happen the next time.  Quality over quantity in your firearms; I've got another 4 AR range toys slated for removal from the collection, those funds will be rolled in to more ammo, magazines, and spare parts.  My two primary 'social' AR's have exact duplicate backup's, the same for my primary carry handguns.  Ammo, magazines, and spare parts are your bottleneck, focus on them; I'd rather one AR with a backup and a metric ton of ammo than a safe full of AR's that I can't feed for the long term.

I've been playing the firearms game for many years now, have had the opportunity to build up a large ammo fort, gone through firearms buying streaks collecting all the latest and greatest, lived through the legal games our 'masters' play and have come to the conclusion that quality is everything.

For the newer folks, get the highest quality AR you can afford and stay away from running down the 'tacti-cool' rabbit hole; make ammo, and as @whoanelly posted, the training to use your weapons effectively the first priority; OP is right, the time is now...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the proposed federal bans have grandfather clauses in them, even the big one they push hard every year. Of course they could always add confiscation later once it passed. They do ban all high cap mags, and spare parts though, and I'd bet good money a ammo restriction of some kind would come soon after. A steep ammo  tax, / limit you can buy per month, / no mail order etc. I agree ammo is the weak link. They already have lots of firearm taxes that are unconstitutional , ( every gun tax besides a sales tax is unconstitutional OMHO , I also don't believe firearms should be sales taxed either. )   so, adding a big ammo tax to pay shooting victims is not hard to imagine. Even .05 cents a round would add a lot of cost to a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
also, you don't need to blow $1000 bucks at a time, or buy 1000 rounds at a time to get a ammo fort. I built my ammo fort by buying a few boxes of ammo at a time. the trick is when you want to go shooting, stop and buy ammo to shoot, shoot 1/2 of what you buy and stock pile the rest. once you take ammo home, you don't shoot it, you stick it in a ammo can and save it. before you know it you have a pick up truck load of ammo.

My score for this month was 3 bricks of 550 bulk .22LR from Walmart. even a little bit adds up quickly though. iv got around 25,000 rounds of .22LR in my fort by doing this.
View Quote
25k of 22lr are rookie numbers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

All of the proposed federal bans have grandfather clauses in them, even the big one. They do ban all high cap mags, and spare parts though, and I'd bet good money a ammo restriction of some kind would come soon after. A ammo  tax, limit you can buy per month, o mail order etc. I agree ammo is the weak link. They already have lots of firearm taxes that are unconstitutional , adding a big ammo tax to pay shooting victims is not hard to imagine.
View Quote
Ammunition is what I'm worried about; like you I can see a massive tax, ammo purchase limits, and no online sales.  Magazine sales would also be another area the grabbers will focus on.  That notion of 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in' will be abandoned in favor of going after magazines, ammunition, and spares; in time you've got their end game of gun control.  There's no way to feed them to any real ability, and firearms become wall hanger relics of a better time.

Their battle tactics have changed, but the song remains the same...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm pretty well stocked up but I could use more powder/primers.  I've been complacent and just picking it up at the local shops as I use it.  I really need to shore up on 6.5 bullets...

I think no matter what happens leading up to the elections it will be chaotic politically.  I see it as one of the most important choices this nation will ever make.  Gun panic is sure to result.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Who buys ammo locally anymore?
View Quote
This.  I'm in NY, which is a special case, but between selection, price and free shipping, hard to see buying locally.

Honestly, almost no matter how much ammo you have, once you learn it is out of stock, people are going to want more.  It's some kind of psychology.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Lots of good advice here.  I just talked to my parents yesterday at the range about this.  Next year is 2020, they were shocked that yes, it is already here.

I graduated high school right before the 94 ban expired and every run on components and weapons since.  In 2015 there was a theatre shooting, background checks in CO were timed on a calendar rather than a watch.  I have went 2 years without needing to buy reloading components, but I have.  Ask yourself have we seen the last panic?  Waking up to "Breaking News" is not the time to start buying, it's the time to go hug your tacbox full of powder and primers...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thats pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the reminder OP. Just scooped up another 1K rds of M193 for .21 cents per round
Thats pretty good.
Price is $299 after rebate. Figure $80 is what you’re paying for the 10 PMAG 30’s. Leaves the price for 1K of XM193 at $219.99, brings it out to 21.9 cents per round:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/american-eagle-5-56mm-fmjbt-ammunition-1000rds-ten-10-magpul-pmag-30-5-56x45mm-magazines.html

They also have the same deal on XM855:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/1000-rds-american-eagle-5-56mm-fmj-steel-core-ammo-ten-magpul-pmag-30-5-56x45mm-magazines.html
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
also, you don't need to blow $1000 bucks at a time, or buy 1000 rounds at a time to get a ammo fort. I built my ammo fort by buying a few boxes of ammo at a time. the trick is when you want to go shooting, stop and buy ammo to shoot, shoot 1/2 of what you buy and stock pile the rest. once you take ammo home, you don't shoot it, you stick it in a ammo can and save it. before you know it you have a pick up truck load of ammo.

My score for this month was 3 bricks of 550 bulk .22LR from Walmart. even a little bit adds up quickly though. iv got around 25,000 rounds of .22LR in my fort by doing this.
If .22lr was my main caliber I'd have much more of it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I am already seeing Pmags disappearing from retail in Wa. state and I saw this coming years ago.
I also have been buying what I can, when I can do it, and I've been doing this for years now.
AR parts and accessories are being targeted as well as ammo. I remember quite well the "frenzy" and watching all this stuff disappear and prices double for common items.
I've seen guys run as the doors open, just to grab a box of 5.56" and it is no joke.
"buy it cheap and stack it deep" these are good days, buy anything that you can afford and put it away.
In a matter of a few weeks, things can and will change.
If the door closes tomorrow, there are many people who have done well and should be well stocked with adequate stock for a long haul, even retirement.
I wish everyone good luck, go out and start shopping.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dunhams has some decent deals for 9mm ball at times. I’ll drop in and grab a few boxes here or there.

OP, good thread. I’m pretty well covered on most things outside of NV and suppressors but could always use more mags.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of the nice things about .22LR is you can stock a huge amount in a smaller footprint.  I keep quite a bit of .22 around, 50K+ for my .22 pistols and as a back up supply for my AR conversion units; if it ever were to one day reach the point I've burned through ALL my 5.56 I've still got the conversion units and all that .22 available...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#39]
OP is right but the army don't pay me enough and my parents are gonna start charging me rent since i have to keep my fort at their place
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#40]
$250 BCGs...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One of the nice things about .22LR is you can stock a huge amount in a smaller footprint.  I keep quite a bit of .22 around, 50K+ for my .22 pistols and as a back up supply for my AR conversion units; if it ever were to one day reach the point I've burned through ALL my 5.56 I've still got the conversion units and all that .22 available...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I think a single  fat 50 ammo can will hold around 7500 rounds of .22 bulk pack.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How many remember $99 Glock mags during the ban.   But 50 round boxes of 9 was about $4
View Quote
I remember sitting at my (surprisingly awesome for the time) 3rd shift security guard job in 2000 reading ArfCom and Shotgun News wondering if I could snag a couple shifts of OT to help buy a 15 round Glock mag for my G19.

Oh yeah, I 'member.

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
March 13, 2013.  2 box limit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326845/image_jpeg-831108.JPG

The reason I took a picture was because this was the best price to be found anywhere.  Sent it at that time to some friends to gloat.  Most of the time it was 12.99 and unavailable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn...
March 13, 2013.  2 box limit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326845/image_jpeg-831108.JPG

The reason I took a picture was because this was the best price to be found anywhere.  Sent it at that time to some friends to gloat.  Most of the time it was 12.99 and unavailable.
Yeah, black box was about $.50/Round and was the best deal to be had (that I was aware of)...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’ve only bought two guns this year. Need to up my game.
View Quote
(2) guns in (2) days? Good start!...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The restrictions on shipping ammo to Cali have limited the buying some...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yup. I think a single  fat 50 ammo can will hold around 7500 rounds of .22 bulk pack.
View Quote
It's right in that neighborhood; I just keep dumping it in until the can is maxed out.  The Federal Black Pack 1600 round case with rebate was one of the best pricing deals in .22LR in quite some time, I maxed out that rebate.  That ammo appears to be CCI mini-mags with a Federal head stamp on it; shot some in my Ruger MkIV and in an AR conversion unit; works great.  I hope to see that come back in stock again so I can add another 8K; I always figured in a true SHTF or legislative ammunition bottleneck that in time the .22LR supplies we've got will end up all that's left...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My UPS guy hated me back in the day when 70k rounds of ammunition showed up at the door in one delivery.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Op is right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Op is right.
OP is very right.

There is an entire new generation of gun owners post-2015, plus, amazingly, some post-2004 owners who didn't figure things out yet, who own like 4 AR's, 4 Pmags, 2 off-brand POS 30-rounders, and 327 rounds of Tula.

But hey, gotta blow $300 a month on smokes and beer.

This is the topic which separates people that are serious from "hobbyists".    We are in for some major unpleasantness on a national level long before many of us run out of parts and ammo; firearms isn't going to be the issue that sets things off unless the Dems are more retarded than usual, but there may well be a period of no-supply.

The thing people need to focus on is maintaining their own capabilities and making sure that immediate family that aren't old enough to arm up yet are taken care of.

Quoted:
Local shops that flip the bird to the gun controllers deserve a bit of a premium.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#49]
2 is 1 and 1 is none.
I haven't forgotten that I paid $14 per 100rds of 5.56 back in the 1980`s
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#50]
To drive OP's point to home, right now is the golden age of firearms.

Right now we have reached a nexus of technology, innovation,  market competition, and relative freedom (unless you had a bump stock).  Come to think of it even just imaging a bump stock would been a legal thing 20 years ago would have been a fairy tail.

I would be pricing out shelving units first, and then figuring out how to maximize your storage capacity before taking this opportunity of a lifetime to stock up.

Ammo, mags and guns... yes those are obvious but don't forget PARTS!

Buy spare BCG's and LPK's and make sure you have spring sets for every gun you own.  Those small parts are usually cheap and one day may be the difference between a hunk of useless metal and a working firearm.

BUY IT CHEAP, STACK IT DEEP.

rinse and repeat.
Page / 91
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top