User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

er, no offense, but they are selling op amp modules with garden variety opamps and TWO! (count em TWO!) electrolytic bypass caps for $116...

[url]http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=OPAMPS[/url]

And just how much are those op amps by themselves??? (TI / Burr-Brown OPA627's)

View Quote

Merrell-

The Burr Brown/TI OPA627 is not exactly your "garden-variety" opamp. Depending on the grade  this part runs (source: Digikey in single quantities) $30-45/pair (AP versus BP) just for the opamps. Garden variety opamps would be as you noted in the case of the Analog Devices 825--a few bucks a pop.

I am in no way justifying a nearly $500 knob, or any of Reference Audio's other parts/prices, just pointing this out.

And, yes, there is a difference in sound between the 627 and other less expensive opamps, a difference I've heard with my own ears. Is that difference in musical enjoyment worth the price to you or anyone else? Who knows. For me, in the audio application in which I use it (actually I use the 637) it is.
View Quote

Just a quick note before turning in, the amps they are using are not A grade parts (selected for lower Vos & a couple of other specs, which wouldn't have an effect on the audio performance anyhow). Higher spec parts are typically not available in an SOIC package due to higher thermal stress in that package. Yes, it will sound better than a 741 or 324-style amplifier, which are still being used decades after their introduction. The point I was making was that they were charging over a C-note for an amp that anyone can go out & get for less and that there's nothing "esoteric" about a '627. I'm too tired at this point to go look up the specs, but is the 637 a decompensated '627? (I'm guessing the BB parts are DiFet or BiFet replacements for the old PMI/AD OP27/OP37 series) I could go on, but it would probably bore the few remaining lurkers to death... ;)

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Merrell-

Yes, the OPA637 is an uncompensated 627. The point I was making is that even companies that sell multi-thousand dollar CD players, amps, etc generally use much less expensive opamps than even the OPA627, so in that sense it is not your run of the mill part.

For this reason, it's possible to modify these components for much better sound by replacing the lesser opamps with ones like the OPA627, and the capacitors with caps like Black Gates for relatively little outlay of cash.

The original point remains--$500 for a wood knob is highway robbery.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top