Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 12:19:36 PM EDT
I've got a Benelli Super Black Eagle in the black matte finish, and recently stored it for a couple of weeks between duck season splits slightly wet in my padded gun case.  As a result, I've got many small rust spots on different areas that won't come off with an oily rag.  I believe that I may mess up the finish by using any abrasive pads.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Use some 0000 steelwool with CLP. Use gentle pressure and wipe in one direction.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
 Just wipe it down with RIG grease and let it sit. After a week or so, it will have soaked into the rust and kind of neutralized it.
 No real hunting gun stays pretty for long, so don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not rub a matte finish with anything it will make it worse, just apply a CLP product and it will neutralize the rusting and also lift the rust some, then just accept it the way it is, don't monkey around with it too much. If it really bothers you then have the gun coated with one of the spray finishes, it will be more durable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Use some 0000 steelwool with CLP. Use gentle pressure and wipe in one direction.
View Quote

Always worked for me.

You can’t, of course, actually remove the pits (since they’re holes), but removing the rust in them makes the damage a whole lot less noticeable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Brasswool would be less abrasive to the finish if you are going to go that route. At least that is what I hear and it seems to make sense. Never used either. But I never store my guns in cases, EVER. Not even dry.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I too noticed some slight surface rust on one of my firearms a few days ago. Actually it's on the $125 ghost ring sights on my Tac but it still bugs you, especially when you try and take care of your firearms as much as I do.

drjarhead, Does storeing the gun in the case help it rust?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, never store in a gun case.  Moisture remains inside the case and causes the rust.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The insulation in cases will also sponge up the oil on the firearm, which can also result in rust.

I’ve used bronze wool on stainless handguns with no problems; however, seems you might get a viable brass/bronze smear on a blued firearm.  Still, a decoppering bore solvent would probably remove it with no problem.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You can try a pencil eraser, it is easier to control than steel wool and various types are more/less abrasive.  

Anything you do should be done carefully and slowly to avoid making it worse than it is.  I don't worry so much about my hunting guns, that is what makes them look like they are 25 years old when you hand them down to the next generation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top