Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 10:28:47 AM EDT
Anyone here play golf???  Need new set and was looking for some suggestions.  like to spend around 500.  irons and drivers dont have to be the same.  would like a large cc driver.  thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
cant help u too much on the selections out there...but

based on my limited experience, ive found that callaway big bertha drivers work pretty well for most people out there. THe sweet spot is huge and the loft angle is pretty good. Take ur time and the shots will be consistent. And in the event that u do blink and swing a nasty one, the berthas do a good job of sending the ball rolling a good distance.
Right now im working on a king cobra driver with a really low loft. i think its 9.5 degrees or something, so if i dont swing right the ball fails to go far. If i get frustrated in the middle of a round, ill switch back to the callaway driver since its more forgiving.
I dont know, golf is a life long game [BD] good luck
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Go down to the local shop and swing some clubs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone once told me that new golf shoes would shave 10 strokes off my game.

I bought 4 pairs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
What do you normally shoot?

If there's a Sam's Club near you, they have the Taylor Made irons (3-PW) for like $360. They also have the 350cc Nike driver for $170 and the Taylor Made 360cc for $160. If you go to a golf store you can haggle a little on the price esp. if you're buying everything at one place. When I was an assistant club pro, I'd give a few free rounds of golf sometimes in addition to a small discount on the price.

[url]http://www.edwinwatts.com/AB1936000/index.cfm?&DID=8[/url]

[url]http://www.golfdiscount.com/StoreFront.bok[/url]

[url]http://www.martinsgolfandtennis.com/store/shop.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MGAT&Category_Code=1-1000[/url]

[url]http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/index.php[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Its the indian, not the arrow, my friend. The BEST investment you'll ever make is lessons, assuming that you go to a reputable teacher. Or take a vacation to a golf school.

But if equipment is what your looking for. Here's my take.

Calloway's are very forgiving, but they tend to hit the ball a little higher. This translates into lots of carry, less roll. I'm talking about drivers here. The Titleist hits it lower. The Taylormades are a good middle man. The two-year old Taylormades are probably the economical way to go, you can get a 320 or 360 model for $150 bucks these days.

As for irons, the Calloway X12 or X14 irons are nice and just old enough in the market that you can snag them for a good price.

Just remember, a guy that can play will clean your clock with a dinner spoon taped to a cane pole. Once you figure out, the equipment becomes secondary.

Oh yeah, buy Five Lessons, The Modern Fundamentals of Golf by Ben Hogan. Its short, great book that tells you how you are supposed to hit a golf ball. Its the real deal.

Lastly, NEVER mention golf on this site again. Every time golf is mentioned, someone will chime in with the "waste of shooting range" chit or directly question your masculinity.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
to be honest with you i just like to go out with friends and play a few rounds once in a while, but i am not completely horrible.  i like graphite drivers but and not great with graphite irons.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're just starting out you don't have to spend big bucks on a set of clubs. Go down to the local Wal-Mart and have a look at what they've got. I picked up some nice Ti woods(I know "metal" woods just don't make sence) for about $35 bucks each and you can get a good putter for about $25 bucks. Then get a set of irons and a bag and you're in. I've seen some really big drivers at Wal-Mart for way less then you'd spend on a Taylor Made or Big Bertha. I think for the average person "cheap" clubs are just as good as the high price ones. Only a pro can really tell the difference in them and then I'd bet it wouldn't be much.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
any advice on graphite or steel shafts for the irons.  i used steel before and was good with them but i had one graphite shafted iron that i found and i was pretty good with that.  anyone know the differences between the two.  thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I think graphite is more usefull in woods where you need more "whip" to get the ball moving. I've never really noticed the difference in irons. I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like to mostly because of cost. The closest course is Deer Creek and it's $35/18 in the summer, not too bad but still more then I can spend for more then  once a months worth. I wish I could go twice a month at least.
P.S.
If you can invest in a 21deg. "trouble club", they come in real handy if you're in the edge of the rough and still need to make a good hit to get to the green. I went with a Dunlop for all my Woods and trouble club.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
1) Lessons.
2) Lessons.
3) Lessons.
4) Clubs you LIKE.

Don't worry too much about what people think is best -- the important thing is to find clubs you're comfortable with.

Oh yes

Buy Lessons.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
i am looking at the wilson prostaff AD set from dicks sporting goods
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a club that's easy to hit...ie, cavity backed, NOT tour blade style.  I would imagine that the blade kinda club wouldn't be the ones at the discount stores, but just look at them to make sure.  

Also, there are places around who make "knock off" clubs, like Big Bertha and Ping, for a fraction of the cost.  They use a different metal to make the heads, and the shafts won't be graphite, and they won't last like the real deal, but most places will custom fit them, which is much more important to your game.  For irons, a medium stiffness metal shaft will be fine.

I take a 2 degree upright club; I have Ping Zing 2 green dots...I went through the whole deal of consulting the pro, and getting measured etc.  I still suck, of course, but there's no way now for me to blame it on my equipment lol.  

When people ask me what my handicap is, I say "my swing".  [:D]  

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Ping I3 Blue-Dots here.. got 'em $100 off a few years ago

Big Bertha's and Steelhead woods.. most bought used

works good for me

woods - graphite shaft
irons - steel
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
any advice on graphite or steel shafts for the irons.  i used steel before and was good with them but i had one graphite shafted iron that i found and i was pretty good with that.  anyone know the differences between the two.  thanks
View Quote

Generally speaking, graphite shafts will allow you to hit the ball higher. It's also easier to adjust the swing weight of irons by using graphite since graphite shafts come in a wider variety than steel. I've found though that I have a harder time working and controlling the ball with graphite. The key to shafts is to have your swing speed checked and shafts matched accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
to be honest with you i just like to go out with friends and play a few rounds once in a while, but i am not completely horrible.  i like graphite drivers but and not great with graphite irons.
View Quote

You'll probably benefit from "game improvement" clubs like the Ping i3's or the King Cobra SSi's. If you can find them, some online retailers still have the original King Cobra Oversize irons, the best irons they ever made. The original Tommy Armour 845's are very good as well.

As far as drivers, it's hard to beat the Big Bertha Drivers though I don't personally like them myself. Can't work the ball with it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for the Calloway woods.  I can't hit woods for shit.  I've gone through a few golf seasons hitting nothing but long irons off the tee.  I picked up a used Steelhead 2+ and can hit it a lot better than any other wood I've tried.  While they may have higher ball flight and a little less distance, I'll take that over wild snap hooks any day.  

I used to play knock-off irons with graphite shafts, but when I decided to buy good clubs I went with steel shafts (TaylorMade SuperSteels).  I think the slightly heavier steel shafts make it easier to control the swing path.  With graphite shafted irons, all the weight is at the end of the club, I think it magnifies any mistakes in your swing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top