Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 9:59:10 AM EDT
In light of the current hot-topic on the GD board of pittbulls, and the recent pathetic attempt to drag people into the abortion debate by asking at what point life begins....

Aren't there some topics here that are just trolling?  The same old people toss out the same old tired arguments in the pitt debate, the abortion debate; I'm sure there are others.

You could say that newbies come in, and don't realize that the debate has been done to death, but that's more often than not incorrect.  Most of the time these topics are started by long time members with higher than average post counts.  They can't really claim "oh, I didn't know that was a hot topic" when they've been around forever.  Look who started the pitt bull topic:
GreyGhost
FL,  USA

Jesus christ people, at least try and pretend that you are capable of a mildly original thought!  It is quite clear that you don't start these threads to inform, or in the legitimate hope that you'll somehow change someone's mind.  You're posting it to start an argument, pure and simple.  Not a debate, an argument.  I love to post inflamatory shit too, but I try and keep those types of topics to things that haven't been beaten so completely into the ground.

Here's where some dumbass will post a link to my "what filesharing software do you use" thread, or the "what's a good watch for $1k" thread (which must have at least been interesting with 1933 views and 118 posts) and point out that neither is original, and you're probably right.  But typically nobody starts tossing out namecalling and getting up on their high-preachy horse (why is it that our shortest members are always up on that horse anyway?) about Rolex's or Kazaa.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Trolling to you,debate to others.And I've been around here a hell of a lot longer than Nov 2000,back to the OLD arfcom.What would you like to talk about,our favorite Celine Dion song or maybe ziplock baggies versus saran wrap?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
[b]Are certain topics always just trolling?[/b]

Yes and you should stop it now!! [:D]

[DEVIL]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Well people [b]do[/b] change their mind, all the time about all kind of things. Some here feel the need to attempt to change people's mind ---------- the abortion issue for example.

I am breaking this up so you can read it-- [:)]

What do you expect to happen, when we have discussed everything, you either insert something new you learned about the issue in to the  discussion or you stay out, ----- I guess if you find yourself staying out more than entering into the posted conversation, soon you leave the board -------- and venture forth into life.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
It's funny because I was thinking about this topic the other day.  I have only been at this site for a short time but notice recurring topics that invariably generate heated debate:

1) 7.62NATO vs. 5.56
2) AK vs. AR
3) Any ammo topic to do with 'fragmentation'
4) Abortion
5) Israel (why we support them, USS Liberty, etc.)
6) Optics (Aimpoint vs. Eotech)
7) Torture/Interrogation
8) Downloading/"sharing" copyrighted material
Etc...

I wanted to start a thread where people would add their favorite controversial topic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a controversial topic: Democratic Underground is a good site for reasoned, intellectual discourse.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Topics [i]about[/i] trolling are more often than not, trolling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Norm, you've been acting really weird for over a week now.
I'm starting to become concerned.
Stop posting, and go clean up your side of the duplex.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Topics [i]about[/i] trolling are more often than not, trolling.
View Quote
[LOL]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey did you hear they captured Saddam!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, I just got back from washing my goulami. What did I miss?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Should we secure our borders?
(Enter key)
Is the XM8 better than the AR15?
(Enter key)
Should civilians be allowed to wear MAR***?
(Enter key)
Is Islam a religion of hatred?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a newbee and I have a question:

What was the gun that Al Pacino used in the movie Heat?

All your base are belong to us!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#13]
What filesharing software do you guys use?

How many mags do I need?

McUZI-Racist or misunderstood patriot?

Is the 5.56 really more lethal than a .50cal?

Woodland or Desert Marp**?

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
As a proud owner of an APBT Norman, I have to tell you, the name is spelled with one t and not two. That is American [red]Pit[/red] Bull Terrier.       : )  

Since the breed has been recognized for over 100yrs, surely you have leard how to spell it properly. : )
Anyone else hate spelling Nazis as much as trolls and troll topics?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
surely you have [red]leard[/red] how to spell it properly. : )
View Quote

*Ahem*...
[wave]

Not going to respond to the initial question, because it seams to have been presented in a rather inflamatory way. [flame]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#16]

I [b]never[/b] claimed to be a spueling Nasi : )
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope! It's all good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget my favorite recurring hot topic - the War of Northern Aggression!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
But typically nobody starts tossing out namecalling and getting up on their high-preachy horse (why is it that our shortest members are always up on that horse anyway?) about Rolex's or Kazaa.
View Quote

From my point of view, you always seem to be on a "high-preachy horse".

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://home.wi.rr.com/antigov/card14-small.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]
+1

- N20
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But typically nobody starts tossing out namecalling and getting up on their high-preachy horse (why is it that our shortest members are always up on that horse anyway?) about Rolex's or Kazaa.
View Quote

View Quote

And from my point of view, I haven't ever seen you post anything in reply to me other than some crybaby bullshit about how you don't like me.  Wow, we get it already.  Get a life.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

so wait, only spelling nazis have to have perfect spelling?  Or is it only people you disagree with?  Or maybe only people you don't like?

The point of language is communication, if you know what the other person is saying, then that's enough.  Some people on this board, however, don't seem to have progressed passed the 3rd grade in terms of writing skills.

Incidentally, I owned a pit at one time, and I own a half pit now.  I don't honestly give a shit how it's spelled.  While I like the dogs, and think that everyone should have the right to own whatever they want, I'm not all wrapped up in the history of the breed and all that nonsense.  My previous pit was supposedly some champion bloodline or something.  I never really cared.  To me she was just a dog.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes some are.
If a person has a ligit questions or opinion, one should also be smart enough to word it as such. But when a person comes in here for example, and posts a topic entitled "AR15's SUCK!" That is trolling 100%.
On the other hand that same person could post a topic entitled, "Problems with the AR15, & why I dont care for them" and it could be an invite for an honest debate. I think its more in the way its brought up then the actual topic itself.
CH
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Well Norm, back on topic. I was agreeing with you ..........
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Lets not forget the Let's rattle SS's cage topics,Better knows as why does "Fido have two daddies?" threads.....j/k
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well Norm, back on topic. I was agreeing with you ..........
View Quote

ah, I thought you were calling me a troll & spelling nazi, and this a troll topic.

Gotcha.

No harm no foul.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Well if we ban everything we have discussed before or don't all agree on, it would save on bandwidth.  Boring but a saving.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

so wait, only spelling nazis have to have perfect spelling?  Or is it only people you disagree with?  Or maybe only people you don't like?

The point of language is communication, if you know what the other person is saying, then that's enough.  Some people on this board, however, don't seem to have progressed passed the 3rd grade in terms of writing skills.

Incidentally, I owned a pit at one time, and I own a half pit now.  I don't honestly give a shit how it's spelled.  While I like the dogs, and think that everyone should have the right to own whatever they want, I'm not all wrapped up in the history of the breed and all that nonsense.  My previous pit was supposedly some champion bloodline or something.  I never really cared.  To me she was just a dog.
View Quote

Norman, I'm not trying to be an asshole by saying this, so please don't take it the wrong way. I say this to anyone that has a pitbull because a very knowledgable person told it to me.

He said it is irresponsible to treat your pitbull like any other dog. They ARE dog aggressive as adults.(That's entirely different from human aggression, they should never have that) That's the nature of the breed. To ignore that fact is to invite trouble on a creature that deserves to be better cared for. They are wonderful animals, but they do require great care. Both in how they are raised/socialized and trained. That's part of the personal responsibility thing that I agree every dog owner has. If a dog does something bad, the owner should be punished for it.  

Sorry to go on my horse, I'm really no dog expert. I only know about one or two breeds of dogs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Norman, I'm not trying to be an asshole by saying this, so please don't take it the wrong way. I say this to anyone that has a pitbull because a very knowledgable person told it to me.

He said it is irresponsible to treat your pitbull like any other dog. They ARE dog aggressive as adults.(That's entirely different from human aggression, they should never have that) That's the nature of the breed. To ignore that fact is to invite trouble on a creature that deserves to be better cared for. They are wonderful animals, but they do require great care. Both in how they are raised/socialized and trained. That's part of the personal responsibility thing that I agree every dog owner has. If a dog does something bad, the owner should be punished for it.  

Sorry to go on my horse, I'm really no dog expert. I only know about one or two breeds of dogs.
View Quote

Let me clarify a bit.  When I say they're like any other dog, I mean that I don't care about registrations and papers and shows and all that crap.
I started a long reply, but this thread isn't really about dogs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sorry, I just got back from washing my goulami. What did I miss?
View Quote

Even I know this stupid ass story
[rofl2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

And from my point of view, I haven't ever seen you post anything in reply to me other than some crybaby bullshit about how you don't like me.  Wow, we get it already.  Get a life.
View Quote

I never said I don't like you.  I don't even know you.  I have expressed my disagreement with some of your beliefs.  Most of my replies have been pretty smart ass in a joking way.  I just found it funny how you talk about folks being on a high-horse when you are one of the most stuck up people I've ever seen on here.

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Ditto what USPC40 said.  I remember something about Norman74 and a thread about Harley-Davidsons Vs. jap bikes...

Ben, The_Emu
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't have a lot of posts; I only post when I have something to say that may be beneficial to other members, usually inclusive of facts, details, or relevant information; technical and political. I may also post when I take part in the Group purchases - why waste my time on anything else? I've been on ARFC since 1999, but lost my previous username, due to a move and email service change, and to this day, can not remember the password.

This is the first time in the past five years I have posted because of boredom. It was this thread that caused it.

----The §küñk

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top