BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PD is usually measured by the technician when they fit the frames.
Ask a technician for the measure.
View Quote
This. There’s a tool for this. Under 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Check through any of your old prescriptions.   It might be on one of them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Careful counselor, you might not want that standard applied to you.

Should the state bar be contacted every time you refuse to provide legal advice without compensation?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
How much do you think is fair to charge to measure the distance between the pupils with a ruler?

$1? $5? $10? $20? $50? $100?

We are waiting...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm sorry you are illiterate.

He paid for a prescription.   They only give a partial prescription.   Because it's protectionist crap to try and force you to also buy your glasses from them not just your prescription.
View Quote
A pd measurement is NOT required or part of an eye exam because normally it's not information  that is needed to determine visual function nor ocular and systemic  health.  Most people forget to realize the purpose of an eye exam is to determine if there are any deficits or problems that affect a person's vision, and if it's correctable with aids (glasses, contacts, filters, etc), then you get a prescription to correct that.  PD is not usually something optometrists measure or do because it does not visual function or determine health status... the opticians who help you pick out glasses do that work to make sure your eyes fitted for the glasses you pick out.  The exam is also to check if the eyes are working like it's supposed to, and if the overall health of the eyes are in order or affected from any uncontrolled disease (diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, herpes, HIV, etc).  When you pay for an exam, that's what you are paying for.
No one is forcing you like you think.  Again, those online places provide tips for you to measure it yourself.  Or, go buy a pupilometer and measure it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
60 Minutes Luxottica Do you know who makes your glasses
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Order your next glasses from Zenni after measuring yourself. Top quality lenses.  The optical mafia can kma.
View Quote
This. Measure yourself and save a shit load.  
Worked for me for many years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#8]
My doc gives it to you, but only if you ask.  He knows exactly what I’m doing with mine and is ok with it.  I wear contacts 99.99999% of the time and he knows I just have glasses as backups like stashing hunting, backpacking, and in my cars.  I actually asked him about the online Chinese places and with a non special prescription like mine he said as long as I know the frames are shitty but the lens is ok for my needs.

My last guy wouldn’t give it, so that’s when I went to this guy.  He’s awesome.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I would get up and walk on the exam telling her that she does not get paid then dispute it on the credit card. Also give a bad Google review on her practice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I pay cash for an eye exam, do I have the right to get my prescription along with my pupillary distance?

I have been told that the PD is not part of the prescription and they do not have to give that information to me. Prescription no problem. But there is no PD number on it.

I've also been told that it is a liability issue for them because they know I'll order glasses online, which is true, but it's none of their business where I buy my stuff.

I want the PD from them because it will be done correctly and I don't trust doing the measurements myself.

Any help here would be appreciated.
View Quote
I straight up tell them I want it to order cheap sunglasses I can lose on the river and not cry about it. I haven't been rejected yet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Any eyeglass shop will measure your PD for you, OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Lol@ all the amateurs in this thread.

The reasons they don’t provide it is because:
A) It is NOT part of a standard exam.   It is only needed if you want glasses, and then it’s performed by the optician. (Many people only want contacts, so it’s totally not needed)

B) Let’s say they give your PD to you, and then you go to some online place to order glasses.   When the glasses aren’t quite right, the online place will automatically blame the Optometrist office.   So you storm back there, demanding a free recheck ( labor provided x2 now). If the Optometrist says it’s correct, you demand the Optometrist pay for the mis-made glasses.  When they rightly refuse, you post a nasty review.  Not a lot of incentive for them, is there? All so that the customer can get cheaper glasses.

If you want to do online, go for it, but don’t demand the local brick-and-mortar shop to do the work and take the risk.  Man-up and take your own measurement or ask the online place to do it.

Even better, ask your Optometrist *before* the exam if it will be provided to you so you can buy elsewhere.   If you don’t like their answer, go elsewhere.   Yeah, not as much fun to have to act like an adult, right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-digital-caliper-61585.html

Use the ID tangs.

Open one eye, put one tang in the center of that pupil.  Close that eye, open the other, extend caliper until the other ID tang reaches the center of your other pupil.

Super easy.

Fun fact:  Don't worry about being absolutely dead right, your eyes will naturally adjust.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Open one eye, put one tang in the center of that pupil.  Close that eye, open the other, extend caliper until the other ID tang reaches the center of your other pupil.
Super easy.

Fun fact:  Don't worry about being absolutely dead right, your eyes will naturally adjust.  
View Quote
Not accurate.  When you are young, your eyes will indeed adapt.   However, as you get older, typically in your late 30’s, early 40’s, your eyes can adapt less and less to such imprecision and you’ll get eye strain, which can result in headaches and less visual acuity.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Since this a about asshole Dr.s trying to corner their respective market by withholding information..
I had an orthopedic Dr. request I get an MRI for a hand injury. He stated in the office he did not think it was a complete tendon tear but would like to see the picture due to the intensity of pain in one location. If not completely torn and just stretched and scar tissue then I could just immobilize with a brace and don’t stress it for a few months. If torn then of course surgery might be needed.
Now mind you I already have that hand immobilized with a brace.
DR.s office calls and says the Dr. has your film. When can you come in ? Well ? What does it show ? A tear or not ? He needs to see you. WTF for ? Is it torn or not ? I can’t tell you. The Dr. has to. Ok, have him call me. He won’t do that. What do you mean ? It is realy simple. I either have a tear or not ? .........we go back and forth... so, you want me to come back in so you can charge either me or The insurance company for another full blown office visit when the answer is: not torn, chill a few months. Something a 1 minute phone call could take care of. Instead I have to sit in your fucking office for 30+ minutes to have a one minute conversation for which you will charge $300.
No thanks. You just gave me the answer. Fuck off !
I never went back. Chilled the hand in a brace for 4 months. It’s fine.
Some of them are fucking leaches !
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I love these threads!   Last time I entered one regarding my profession, I got in a big debate on what a cataract was and swore never again lol

BUT....

PD is NOT part of an eye exam!  It is NOT needed for any aspect of an eye exam and therefore won’t be part of the “medical records”. The only time a PD IS needed is when ordering glasses.  So, TRADITIONALLY  it is only measured when being fitted for glasses.  Whether in house, or by what ever optical a  person buys their glasses from.

If asked, yes, I’ll measure it, it ain’t rocket surgery. But, I don’t need it.  AND, I’ll tell you what it is.

For the bitchers that is all a scam... yes, I sell shit for more than I bought it for.  So does every other business.yall would be outraged at the cost of producing a pizza vs what they sell for!

I thought GD was all about free market, capitalism, etc. I should just provide it for free no?

Look, I DGAF where you buy your glasses or contacts from. 95% of the time I tell my patients that their prescription hasn’t changed enough to get new glasses unless they just WANT new glasses.

You want to switch from monthly contacts to dailies? Fine with me!  Oh, but you can’t be bothered to come in for a 10 min check to see if your cornea is healthy? Hey, it’s your eye, not mine!  I’ll change your Rx, no prob, but don’t come crying to me when you have a prob.

But, you keep being you GD.   Tomorrow I am going to take my vehicle in to the mechanic and ask him to tell me for no charge what is wrong so I can then go to auto zone and get the parts I need to fix it.

But yes, burn his shit down!  Leave him nasty reviews! By all means, tear his shit up!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But, you keep being you GD.   Tomorrow I am going to take my vehicle in to the mechanic and ask him to tell me for no charge what is wrong so I can then go to auto zone and get the parts I need to fix it.

But yes, burn his shit down!  Leave him nasty reviews! By all means, tear his shit up!
View Quote
Lost you here.
When I'm required to come see you to get a prescription for glasses, which I've paid for the office visit, and even offer to pay for a PD measurement and you tell me no can do, or do it and then won't tell me, it's the equivalent of you paying the mechanic to diagnose it and then they refuse to tell you unless you also pay them to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#18]
[b]Quoted:
In some states, you are required to include the pupillary distance.
View Quote
I read that is true here in WA, but none of the three doctors I've seen would give it to me even though two definitely measured it.  None of the three would give me a prescription.  I'm still wearing my glasses I bought 18 years ago.z
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lost you here.
When I'm required to come see you to get a prescription for glasses, which I've paid for the office visit, and even offer to pay for a PD measurement and you tell me no can do, or do it and then won't tell me, it's the equivalent of you paying the mechanic to diagnose it and then they refuse to tell you unless you also pay them to fix it.
View Quote
The Rx has NOTHING to do with the PD. The office visit you pay for is to determine if your Rx has changed and if your eye is healthy. PD is a non starter for me. Tell me you need it and I’ll measure it AND tell/give it to you. If you want to get your glasses from me, good for me! If you don’t, I am not going to hold that info hostage.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#20]
We should have dropped one nuke on italy

You can barely trust them more than turks and greeks
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Just measure it yourself - easy to do. Go to glassesusa.com or some place like that and they have instructions.  Worked great for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Go some place else. We were dropping $1000+/year with ours on top of the vision insurance and we were getting jerked around too. Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Burn their office down.
View Quote
burn this mother fucker down
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:09:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go out to the sales area ask the tech and then leave
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#25]
That’s why I go to America’s Beast, $99 3 years of eye exams.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Had the same issue a couple years ago.
I went to another optometrist to measure my PD. They did it gladly for a $24.00 fee.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#27]
lawyer. Now
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Eyeglass Optical Outlet in Lakeland, Fl.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What an asshole - report to BBB, leave reviews on Yelp and Google.

Whats the the name of the business?
Eyeglass Optical Outlet in Lakeland, Fl.
These guys??

For the best eye doctors in Florida, call Optical Outlets today. Also, ask us about our special: 2 Pairs of glasses for $69 and a $29 Eye Exam.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Prescription is not complete without pd.  Dispute the credit card charge.

Optician is an obsolete profession just like farrier and realtor,. They are just trying to hang on a little while longer by withholding information which is trivial to obtain.  Fuck them.
View Quote
It is not measured by the optometrist.
The optometrist measures the 2 eyes independent of one another.
The distance between the eyes has no bearing on the service that they are performing.
It is therefore not part of their prescription.
The dispensing optician measured the pd.

That’s where I got mine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I switched to an opthamologist because of an Rx I'm taking.  They don't sell glasses, and when the girl completed my exam, I asked if she could measure my PD.  She provided it immediately because she already had it from one of the machines she used during the exam.

Clearly wasn't an extra service.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That’s why I go to America’s Beast, $99 3 years of eye exams.
View Quote
America’s Best refused to give me the PD along with the eye exam I had paid for - they have lost literally thousands of dollars in business from my family over it, but I know they don’t care.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tell them they lost a customer and bring your dollars someplace else.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nope, I went to Sam's Friday after my exam at Eyeglass Optical Outlet with my prescription and was told the same thing - No PD because of liability issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to Sam's Club.  They will do it for free.
Nope, I went to Sam's Friday after my exam at Eyeglass Optical Outlet with my prescription and was told the same thing - No PD because of liability issues.
Then you are not doing it right.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I told her that today and she said that's fine with her.
View Quote
Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's what you took away from this?  Literally the first thing the OP said "If I pay cash for an eye exam".
View Quote
Yeah, but PD is NOT part of any eye exam I ever had. That was always measured afterwards when getting the glasses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It’s 911...
View Quote
Lol.  I was thinking the same thing.

Simpsons Homer give the number for 911
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Teeners  
View Quote
So if he joined in 2012, and said the same dumb shit, would it be less dumb because of his join date?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Nerds, nerds everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#39]
It's been on the prescription I've gotten fire as long as I can remember.  If I ever changed optometrist and it was not on the prescription, that would be my last visit to that optometrist.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Go some place else. We were dropping $1000+/year with ours on top of the vision insurance and we were getting jerked around too. Fuck that guy.
View Quote
$1000? Wow! I'm glad I have VSP-High. I pay $10 for the exam, and then everything else frames, lens options, exc... are all included.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Costco will measure your PD for free.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Scorched Earth...YELP, (fuck with my wife and she'll make your children   cry on YELP) Then, file an official complaint to STATE LICENSING BOARD. Number of complaints are often logged regardless of outcome. Local FaceBook negative feedback, SMALL CLAIMS COURT(only costs to file your claim at the court house. Doesn't mean you'll win but she'll have to take off work to come to court or risk summary judgment) anything else you can think of while you're at it.

Then copy it to 8,000 members of Arfcom on an given Tuesday night.

Bitch fucked with the wrong sumbitch.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or watch them write it on the form?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My dad is a "Walmart" optometrist.  I've never paid for an exam my entire life.  He's never put PD on my prescriptions.

I get my contacts from my optometrist uncle. He sells them online for less than the major online retailers.
View Quote
With contacts, PD is not an important part of the prescription. It is only needed for frames/lenses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If he’s not buying his glasses from them did they ever really have one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he’s not buying his glasses from them did they ever really have one?
If hes paying them cash for the exam/prescription measurement.  Then yes, they had a customer and they lost him.

The exam gave them the opportunity to convert a cheap customer into a decent one.  They should have deals in place with manufacturers of cheap frames so they can distribute them on an ad hoc basis when someone places ab order.  I can drop ship thousands of items from,my kitchen without an llc or license but they cant figure out how to drop ship or order cheap frames/lens for their lower end customers?  Give me a fucking break.  Adapt or die.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Rx has NOTHING to do with the PD. The office visit you pay for is to determine if your Rx has changed and if your eye is healthy. PD is a non starter for me. Tell me you need it and I’ll measure it AND tell/give it to you. If you want to get your glasses from me, good for me! If you don’t, I am not going to hold that info hostage.
View Quote
Exactly. PD is a measurement needed by the people who grind the lenses to make sure they get lenses centered in front of your eyes. The Rx from the doctor tells those folks the strength of the lens. The PD measurement from the optician/eyeglasses technician tells those folks where to position the focal point of the lens in the frame.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I did some snooping and was able to find a Pic of the OP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Go to Sams Club.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Prescription is not complete without pd.  Dispute the credit card charge.

Optician is an obsolete profession just like farrier and realtor,. They are just trying to hang on a little while longer by withholding information which is trivial to obtain.  Fuck them.
View Quote
Can you shoe a horse without hurting it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since you can’t beat it out of her it sounds like you get to find a new optometrist and leave a bad Yelp review for this one.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top