Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 2:12:11 PM EDT

(sorry the photo server is FUBAR'ed again)

Found these gongs at www.metaltargets.com for $140 delivered to California. They sell for $90 for the tall one, $75 for the short one and $25 each for the stands. Shipping ran me $65 from NY state your milage will vary.

I love shooting steel. These guys are AR500 high velocity models able to take rifle rounds at 100 yards. The 15" square is the center of mass - think your chest from the shoulders down to the lower ribs. The feedback shooting steel is very helpful at distances where you can't see paper holes.

Very tactical and practical - hit or miss is all you need with the proper rifle into the center of mass.

My training regiment has be drive out from the targets a quarter mile and work inwards from that distance with a rifle going prone, moving in and going to seated or rice patty prone - then standing off hand out to about 100 yards where I transistion to the pistol upto about 75 feet.

Then I back out along a different vector and work my way out to rifle range and back way out to prone range. Wearing electronic ears I'm able to hear the gong at a pretty good distance and see it move even farther.

I had a "Beast" rifle gong for aobut 5 years of good use before one of it's corners snapped off. These guys are thicker and the frames are better built. The stands will save me the trouble of beating them into the ground every time I go shooting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang, I thought this was gonna be a T Rex thread. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Some guy from AR15 used to sneak a plasma cuter torch on board the USS Lincoln and cut reactor containment vessel wall steel plating out to use for gongs.

Wonder who that was....
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Bowling pin solution.  Get a couple of cheap 2x4s, some cheap sawhorse brackets and make some "sawhorses"  about 4 foot  tall and 6 foot wide.  get some cheap rope (steal the neighbors clothesline?) and hang the bowling pins from the saw horse.  If I feel extra industrious I take my cordless drill and a scrap of plywood and screw a brace on the legs to hold them apart.  You can see them move or spin when hit and you don't have to go out and set them up all the time.

You can put other things on top of the cross bar if you feel like it.

In High School we made a frame to hang a trash can lid from.  We took it out about a 1000 yds in the desert at a Boy Scout shooting and dirt biking camp.  We took my Garand and planned to let the Dads and older boys take cracks at it.  Couldn't see anything happen on the first 2 shots and the 3rd knocked the whole thing down.        One of the Dads rode a bike out and set it up again and came back the 2nd shot knocked it down again.  Screw it, took too much time to mes with.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#5]
That song is playing on Musicmatch right now.

F*ing A.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]Get it on !![/b] [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top