Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 12:14:08 PM EDT

Surprised cops confiscate assault rifle in Cape motel
By Laurel J. Sweet

Boston Herald
Saturday, December 13, 2003

A fully automatic machine gun potentially more destructive than a similar weapon used in last year's Washington, D.C., area sniper attacks was stumbled upon Thursday in a $150-per-week motel room by a Dennis cop looking for credit frauds.

``We haven't confiscated a machine gun here in probably 20 years,'' acting Dennis police Chief William Monahan said of officer John Brady's frightening find: a .223-caliber AR-15 assault rifle customized to spray multiple bullets with one squeeze of the trigger.

The former gunsmith employee suspected of upgrading the AR-15 from semi- to fully automatic, Robert Barry, 27, of Eastham was arrested outside the Barnacle Motel in West Dennis after police - tipped off he was coming - disabled the gun's ability to fire and waited to pounce.

Brady found the machine gun in a dresser drawer while he was serving arrest warrants for credit card fraud and probation violations to a boyfriend and girlfriend renting the room by the week. Discussions with the couple apparently led investigators to believe Barry would be stopping by.

He did and was collared coming out of the room allegedly with the AR-15 under a coat. Barry, held yesterday on $150,000 cash bail after his arraignment in Orleans District Court, also was charged with heroin and cocaine possession.

Barry, according to a source, has gun charges dating back to his teens and already was awaiting trial on an October weapons charge. If convicted of illegal possession of a machine gun, he could be locked up for life.

``We don't know exactly what he was going to do with it,'' Monahan said. ``You could probably sell the weapon on the street for $1,000.''

A .223-caliber Bushmaster semiautomatic assault rifle similar to the AR-15 was used by the two Washington snipers accused of randomly killing 10 people and wounding six others in 2002.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
OMG!!   Where to start???

jeebus...

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Life?

Boy, things are really upside down in this country anymore. They turn child molesters lose to commit their crimes again and again while people can get life for this?  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
What's a reasonable punishment for a probationer, engaged in credit card fraud, whoise in possession of cocain, heroin, and a concealed full auto AR15 in public? Take into account a long history of prior violations...
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It could sell for $1000 dollars on the street?!![:O]
[ROFL2]
Possibly more destructive than the DC sniper's weapon!![ROFL2]
I wonder how many people read this and really believe it?[stick]

I am stupider for having read that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It could sell for $1000 dollars on the street?!![:O]
[ROFL2]
View Quote

Um, the upper would got for about $500.00 on the equipment exchange. Isd $1,000.00 really unreasonable for an AR15 converted to full auto? I guess it depends on the quality of the conversion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I crapped my pants just reading that article! [:o] I hope those poor police officers are enrolled in some therapy after that close call with a fully automatic inanimate object!

"It it it it it it it's a MACHINEGUN Andy!!"
"Easy now Barney..."

View Quote

[lol]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow

and to think I have to wait for most of my weapons to start to wear out before they will fire multiple rounds with one pull of the trigger......

Damn things are going downhill, I mean, lets face it, you used to be able to buy a machine gun easily, and that was ruined by CRIMINALS, so now law abiding people get punished, and CRIMINALS still have the good toys.....

I need a drink
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's a reasonable punishment for a probationer, engaged in credit card fraud, whoise in possession of cocain, heroin, and a concealed full auto AR15 in public? Take into account a long history of prior violations...
View Quote

Sure as hell not life. 5-10, tops. That's MO, of course. Other than the credit card fraud, which is theft obviously, I don't really consider any of the other crimes to deserving of prison time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I found it ironic that the officer who found this evil weapon was named Brady. Coincidence, I think not....

I will be in the bomb shelter if anybody needs me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure as hell not life. 5-10, tops.
View Quote

Would you feel the same way if it was your identity and credit rating he destroyed? Economic crimes are huge right now. They are low risk and high gain for the criminals. When they are caught they are rarely sentence to any real time. But the payouts are in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. He is not a first time offender. He's a career criminal whose getting rich off other peoples identity. Plus dealing drugs on the side. Making matters worse, he is carrying a converted AR15 to protect himself from the police, his victims, and his crime rivals.  I dont think "Life" (which really means 25 to life, w/ parole in 8 years) is to severe at all.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your grammar seems to have suffered!

LOL! j/k.  I can't razzle the Doc.  My Brother in Law was a 3AD Copter Doctor.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
ban machine guns! its for the chil.....oh wait, we already did....
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Would you feel the same way if it was your identity and credit rating he destroyed? Economic crimes are huge right now. They are low risk and high gain for the criminals. When they are caught they are rarely sentence to any real time. But the payouts are in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. He is not a first time offender. He's a career criminal whose getting rich off other peoples identity. Plus dealing drugs on the side. Making matters worse, he is carrying a converted AR15 to protect himself from the police, his victims, and his crime rivals.  I dont think "Life" (which really means 25 to life, w/ parole in 8 years) is to severe at all.
View Quote

Well, if you had quoted the rest of my post it is apparent that that is the crime I find worthy of 5-10y. The weapons charge is bullshit and the drug charges are serious enough to warrant home restriction and an ankle bracelet AFAIC. 5-10 in prison I consider a pretty long time.

FWIW, my wife was a "victim" of identity theft and credit card fraud. Nothing was done to the individual. Hell, no one even gave a shit. My wife tracked it down and idntified the perp. Still, no one gave a shit. When she swore at the DA on the phone he threatened to have her arrested. No shit!
The whole system is fucked. That is the only word for it. Child molesters walking the streets, drug users in prison. Someone really needs to explain the rationale of that to me.

I very definitely consider myself to be a potential enemy of the state.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Does that $1000 include the $200 ATF tax?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Fully Automatic Machine Gun?  Is there another kind?  Uhhh...
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]
$1000 on the street?  Only to an idiot.

I would give you NOTHING for it.  It represents a  stretch in the fed pen.  All by itself.  In fact, I don't want to see or hear about any illegal machineguns.

Every once in a while when I'm at the range with my M16s some idiot tells me he has a full auto in the closet at home that he converted.  If I actually believed the idiot I would be bound by law to turn him in.  I usually tell said idiot he is an idiot and don't talk to me about illegal shit.

On the street he couldn't get a grand cause his market would only be felons of a like type or idiots who probably don't have any cash.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I very definitely consider myself to be a potential enemy of the state.
View Quote

No shit???   [:D]

Anyone who's been reading your posts in the last coupla months never woulda known!!! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Hopefully the person that "DISABLED THE GUN'S ABILITY TO SHOOT" didn't screw up. A lawyer may be able to get this weapons charge dropped or lessened due to the gun not working.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hopefully the person that "DISABLED THE GUN'S ABILITY TO SHOOT" didn't screw up. A lawyer may be able to get this weapons charge dropped or lessened due to the gun not working.
View Quote

I was thinking along of the line of, what if they didn't "disable" it correctly and he came out firing on FA... hahah
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wanted to mention that I'm not a doctor. Just one of several thousand ex Army medics. I am still proud of the fact that the guys I served with called me doc. A lot of other medics never got that title.
Oh, and my grammar aint never been too good nohow.[;)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#25]
[b]Brady found the machine gun in a dresser drawer while he was serving arrest warrants for credit card fraud and probation violations to a boyfriend and girlfriend renting the room by the week. Discussions with the couple apparently led investigators to believe Barry would be stopping by.

He did and was collared coming out of the room allegedly with the AR-15 under a coat. Barry, held yesterday on $150,000 cash bail after his arraignment in Orleans District Court, also was charged with heroin and cocaine possession.[b]

Were they serving the warrants on Barry or on the people renting the room from him?

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wanted to mention that I'm not a doctor. Just one of several thousand ex Army medics. I am still proud of the fact that the guys I served with called me doc. A lot of other medics never got that title.
Oh, and my grammar aint never been too good nohow.[;)]
View Quote

You the Doc!  Face it, already.  You da Doc, to any ground pounder who has ever been taken care of by the squad or platoon medic.

Nice to meet your acquaintaince, Doc!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Huh?  Where did you read that Barry was charged with CC fraud?  Who gives a damn if he has a history of weapons charges?  Certainly not me.  I'd rather associate with someone who has a career jacket of gun charges than 1 thief.  Again, I don't see that this guy was charged with anything but drug possession and the MG.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How would two cops (remember not one of us) quickly disable an AR so the shooter would not notice? Jam something in it to keep the hammer from moving? I would think pulling the bolt and carrier would be to obvious.
View Quote

Probably remove the firing pin. Less readily noticable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I crapped my pants just reading that article! [:o] I hope those poor police officers are enrolled in some therapy after that close call with a fully automatic inanimate object!

"It it it it it it it's a MACHINEGUN Andy!!"
"Easy now Barney..."

View Quote

Just who do you think you are?[:(!]   Andy! Can I book him?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Huh?  Where did you read that Barry was charged with CC fraud?
View Quote

"Brady found the machine gun in a dresser drawer while he was serving arrest warrants for credit card fraud and probation violations to a boyfriend and girlfriend renting the room by the week."

He's hanging out with CC theives. He's leaving his converted AR with CC theives. He's a CC theif.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought the same thing, but then I wondered about that disable to shoot claim-did they really do that, or did they just wait for him and jump him,then realized they were open to criticizism for allowing him access to the rifle?

How would two cops (remember not one of us) quickly disable an AR so the shooter would not notice? Jam something in it to keep the hammer from moving? I would think pulling the bolt and carrier would be to obvious.
View Quote

i bet they removed the firing pin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top