Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have to chime in here. Based on the fact that the terrorist was dressed in an Iraqi police uniform. Col. West is entitled to execute him on the spot as a spy per the Geneva Coventions.( I had that class) Col. West actually gave the guy a break, in hindsight he should have shot the P.O.S. Col. West is the kind of leader the military is losing every year due to PC bull and as a result the military is becoming ineffective.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Why was thia a problem, since the guy was an iraqi policeman?  He had knowledge of troop movements, but that doesn't make him a spy or a combatant.

But in Iraq, the police are military.  They don't have the posse comittatus act.  Think more like militia or guards.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you completely disgust me.
Lt. Col. West had every RIGHT, under the UCMJ, to EXECUTE the POS right there on the spot.
View Quote

You're kidding, right.
Before you make such an asinine statement, you'd better start providing UCMJ cites.  It's obvious that you're unqualified to reference the UCMJ on the matter.
View Quote

Spies are subject to immediate execution right?

UCMJ definition of a spie.
--snip-- acting clandestinely or under false pre-tenses, that person obtains or seeks to obtain information with the intent to convey it to a hostile party. It is not essential that the accused obtain the information sought or that it be communicated. The offense is complete with lurking or acting clandestinely or under false pretenses with intent to accomplish these objects.
View Quote

Gee, that sounds a lot like what the Iraqi officer in question was doing.

So Lt. Col West should be punished for SCARING someone?

Some of you sound like you would just send your men blindly into a fight with no concern for whether or not you could have infomation that would actually help you men DEFEAT the enemy, while at the same time SAVING their own lives. I thank GOD that we have Officers like Lt. Col West, who value their own soldiers lives more than they do the lives of the enemy, and are willing to do what must be done to PROTECT OUR soldiers, and KILL ENEMY soldiers. I'm done.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#4]
A soldier's job is not to protect his men, nor to kill the enemy.

A soldier's job is to obey orders.

The President, Chiefs of Staff, Theatre commanders, and his own General all agree his actions were illegal, insubordinate, and needed punished.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Nowhere in the UCMJ is ANY officer allowed to conduct summary executions.  Christ, you couldn't have it more wrong.

Nobody wants LTC West to suffer.  I was hoping that nothing illegal had happened and that this would be a non-issue.  Unfotrunately, it didn't turn out this way.

We play by rules (and [i]laws[/i]) that we all agree to.  They're meant to help guide us, not keep us from performing our mission.  [/i]Allegations{/i] of torture DO NOT endear us to the people who provide us with information (like where Saddam and his sons were?).

LTC West was an officer who, as a Battalion Commander and graduate of CGSC, was well-versed in the UCMJ and various articles of warfare.  He knew he thought he did something wrong and, to his credit, he stepped up and admitted it.  I'm glad he gets to keep his pension and his life is not destroyed.  Maybe he'll write a book and we can get his side of the story.  I'd buy it.

Now, not specifically speaking to this case because we may never hear all of the details:
It amazes me that we set standards, rules and laws for situations (war) just like this.  Then, when a few people have the audacity to decide we should actually follow those [i]rules[/i], we've got people crying "But, but, WE"RE AT WAR!"

And quit bitching because we're fighting "savages" and "barbarians" who don't follow the same rules.  They never have.  It's a safe bet that we'll always consider our enemies barbarians and savages.  There's always a convenient excuse to deviate from our own standards, but rarely the courage to stick to them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have to chime in here. Based on the fact that the terrorist was dressed in an Iraqi police uniform. Col. West is entitled to execute him on the spot as a spy per the Geneva Coventions.( I had that class) Col. West actually gave the guy a break, in hindsight he should have shot the P.O.S. Col. West is the kind of leader the military is losing every year due to PC bull and as a result the military is becoming ineffective.
View Quote

Get your money back.
THE US was never a signatory to the Geneva Conventions and even if we were, NOTHING in any international agreement, accord or law allows an officer in the US military to disregard lawful orders or the UCMJ.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was a popular misconception until [url=www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mylai/mylai.htm]My Lai[/url] put it to rest.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#8]
A Combat Command officer was confronted with an ENEMY COMBATANT, dressed in the UNIFORM of a FRIENDLY. That is a Battlefield Spy, subject to instant death. His men had been dieing in enemy attacks. The prisoner DID have intel on ENEMY troop movements.

As usual in govt., Competence, and GOOD Judgement, are rewarded with disgrace and retirement, while the morons and killers get promotions.

American Blood, is beyond value. We've already spent to much to "liberate" them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anybody even [i]bother[/i] to do the research, anymore?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparantly not.  
If he was a spy, then he is not entitled to EPW satus.  He must, however, be tried for spying under the laws of the capturing nation.  
No commander has the authorization to execute anybody.  Any breaches of the law of warfare which require execution MUST be tried in a military or civilian court.  
You barracks lawyers are cracking me up.
For reference, I am quoting directly out of the CGSC text.  I also just finished my military law exam.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparantly not.  
If he was a spy, then he is not entitled to EPW satus.  He must, however, be tried for spying under the laws of the capturing nation.  
No commander has the authorization to execute anybody.  Any breaches of the law of warfare which require execution MUST be tried in a military or civilian court.  
For reference, I am quoting directly out of the CGSC text.  I also just finished my military law exam.  

View Quote

Another 0.0 CEP.

CW
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparantly not.  

View Quote

You ever feel like you're trying to describe colors to a man who has been blind since birth?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparantly not.  

View Quote

THANK YOU!
The only manual I ever kept was my FM7-8.
I've been trying to contact a JAG officer I worked with in the Reserves, but couldn't do it.  Perhaps you can cite the manuals and any sites where our lynch-happy brethren (and I) might educate ourselves.  It's been a while.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#14]
While 7-8 is a classic, not too much use here.
FM 27-10 is the military law manual.
You of course have the UCMJ
You can find the Hague Convention of 1907 and Genenva of 1949 on the internet.
The DOD Law Of War policy is in DOD Directive 5100.77 (10 July 1979
It was implemented in the CJCSI 5810.01 of 12 Aug 96)
Of course, I am just talking out my ass here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
LTC West disserves many things for his actions.  I do not doubt that he knew he was breaking the law when he did what he did, but he did it anyway to save his men.  He also stepped up to the plate afterwards.  He disserved to get brought up on charges.  

Is what he did against the law?  Yes.  Would I have done the same if I were in his position?  Damn right.  The welfare of my men outweighs whatever legal shit storm follows.  He saved the lives of his men.  Knowing the consequences of his actions he still acted.  Now he is paying for those actions, as he should.  

I don’t argue that he was wrong or that he should have been punished for his actions.  I also don’t doubt that after he was told he was being discharged he was taken into a back room and told he did a damn fine job saving his men.  The army did what they needed to do, as did LTC West.  

I have served under commanders that valued the lives and wellbeing of their men higher then there own.  I would follow them to hell, even today.

Sgt
USMC
1st LAR Bn
C Co 1st Plt
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I could say, "Hey asshole..." but I will refrain from that. I will simply say that, as a military man yourself, you should know that any enemy combatant wearing clothing that suggests he is NOT an enemy combatant can be executed ON THE SPOT. Likewise, civilians (non-uniformed) who take up arms in time of war can be executed ON THE SPOT as well.
View Quote

Where in the UCMJ is this stated?

There is only one question that need to be answered here:

Was what he did in violation of the UCMJ or a standing order?  If yes, then what he did was wrong.  

If you think that we can execute spies on the spot, then please show me where under the UCMJ that is permitted.

His actions were either right or wrong by the law.  While commendable from a personal standpoint, he violated orders.  To argue that you can violate orders but not be wrong is an emotional argument, which is what PC is all about..."It just feels right"

Ask yourself this question: if what he did was not a violation of the UCMJ, then why did he take non-judicial punishment. He could have demanded a Court Martial.

However, as a leader, he recognized what he did, and did what so many today have either forgotten how to do or were never taught in the first place:  he took responsibility for his actions.    He didn't try to rationalize his actions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Fine. You guys are right. He should be strung up.

Were I back in, I'd pray to God that I had a clone of him for a CO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LTC West disserves many things for his actions.  I do not doubt that he knew he was breaking the law when he did what he did, but he did it anyway to save his men.  He also stepped up to the plate afterwards.  He disserved to get brought up on charges.  

Is what he did against the law?  Yes.  Would I have done the same if I were in his position?  Damn right.  The welfare of my men outweighs whatever legal shit storm follows.  He saved the lives of his men.  Knowing the consequences of his actions he still acted.  Now he is paying for those actions, as he should.  

I don’t argue that he was wrong or that he should have been punished for his actions.  I also don’t doubt that after he was told he was being discharged he was taken into a back room and told he did a damn fine job saving his men.  The army did what they needed to do, as did LTC West.  

I have served under commanders that valued the lives and wellbeing of their men higher then there own.  I would follow them to hell, even today.

Sgt
USMC
1st LAR Bn
C Co 1st Plt
View Quote

Well said Sergeant. I always complained that the Army was developing a generation of leaders who profess a willingness to die for their country but don't show a willingness to sacrifice their careers.
I wasn't being critical of LTC West.  I am just explaining that he did break the law and the Army had to try him for good order and discipline.  
Considering what punishments were available to the Army, I think they did the right thing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fine. You guys are right. He should be strung up.

Were I back in, I'd pray to God that I had a clone of him for a CO.
View Quote

Quit being a drama queen.  No one is saying the man should be hung.  But every professional soldier knows that what he did was illegal.  He was punished accordingly.  Officers are paid to make tough decisions.  He made one.  He may not make COL, but he can sleep well at night.  That is what combat leadership is about, making tough decisions.  LTC West is a combat leader.  I doubt you will see him pouting on Fox news about it.  I respect the man.  But you can't have soldiers breaking the law and not punishing them, regardless how you feel about their actions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
The Mission of the Marine NCO, and any military leader, is 1) [b]MISSION ACCOMPLISHMENT[/b] 2) troop wellfare.

Today, it seems popular to have it backwards. Col West appears to have the opinion the the mission was unwinnable, so he was just going to worry about his own guys immediate future. Completely forgetting the big picture.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Gents, we will just have to agree to disagree.  

West accomplished the mission and took care of his men.

Some feel the Art. 15 was justified, I do not, and it does not appear any of us are going to change our minds on the issue.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The SS used the same rationale as their main defense at Nuremberg after World War II. It didn't fly then and it don't fly now.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sgt
USMC
1st LAR Bn
C Co 1st Plt
View Quote

That's what I'm talking about, Marine! As long as we have leaders who think like you, this country will stay strong in spite of the politically correct Clintonites trying their best to bring it down.

Panzer Out
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The SS used the same rationale as their main defense at Nuremberg after World War II. It didn't fly then and it don't fly now.

View Quote

Just in case you are as dumb aas this comment makes you seem, let me help you.

Lt. Col. West is the one who broke the Laws of Warfare, like the Nazis did that were condemned at Nuremburg.  Your position is that these rules may be broken at will when it is advantageous.  You are on the philosophical side of the SS.

My position is that International Laws of Warfare need to be followed.  I am taking a position on the side of the prosecution at Nuremburg.

His orders were to conduct his assigned operations in accorance with the rules set forth by his command, which includes following the laws of warfare.

He chose to break those laws, and got off with a light sentence only because no tangible harm has been traced back to his breach.

This sort of illegal handling of prisoners is tremendously dangerous to all Americans in the war zone.  If word gets out that the Amis do not respect prisoners, then you can expect all future American prisoners to be tortured and then killed.  The Arabs who do it will be able to say that they fight savages, and they have to play like they (we) do in order to survive.  

THAT is the legacy of this behaviour. Great long-term harm for a short term gain.  Tell *those* men that West acted properly.  He may have lost a hundred to save a dozen.

The difference between tactics and strategy.  I thought even a NCO understood matters like this.
Evidently not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it's OK to disobey orders as long as it works out right in the end?  Is that the message to send?
View Quote

I take it you would prefer to see caskets draped by American flags as they are off loaded at Dover AFB?
View Quote

It is a very simple fact that Lt Cols do not make policy.  Col. West forgot that and was treated lightly.
I would have done the same thing, but the matter remains that the Army brass cannot allow Lt. Cols to make policy or disobey direct orders.  By acting to save his unit an officer can lose the war.  They MUST do as they are told.

It is sometimes necessary for a soldier to die, or a unit to die, to prevent worse later or elsewhere.  A Lt Col is not in a position to know this, or to make this decision.  Otherwise we would not NEED higher ranking officers or civilian members of the govt.

Enlisted men are even less qualified to make the decisions, or to judge matters of discipline.

It's cold, hard, cruel fact.  The military is NOT a democracy.

Where he went wrong, really, is letting his men talk to the press about it.  Whoever let the press in on this deal sealed his fate; once it was public knowledge there was no way Command could let it slide.  No way at all.  That way lies anarchy, and anarchy in the military leads to shit like South America.
If he *had to* go out of the loop like this he *had to* keep it quiet.  Once he knew by confession that the Iraqi was a member of the resistance, he should have been shot as a spy and everyone STFU.
View Quote

You may be legally right, but you are morally in left field. Way left.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually, he is pretty much quoting out of the military law manuals.  
That is why officers are instructed to not do those things.  When we torture prisoners, we lose our moral standing to punish those who do the same thing.
We discourage people to surrender, thus making them fight harder and cause more casualties.
The reason so many of our enemies surrender to us is because we have the reputation of treating our prisoners humanely.  
LTC West's actions threatened all of that if we had failed to prosecute him.  
LTC West made the determination that the immediate demands of the mission outweighed his current orders.  He doesn't get to do that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Just in case you are as dumb aas this comment makes you seem, let me help you.

Lt. Col. West is the one who broke the Laws of Warfare, like the Nazis did that were condemned at Nuremburg.  Your position is that these rules may be broken at will when it is advantageous.  You are on the philosophical side of the SS.

My position is that International Laws of Warfare need to be followed.  I am taking a position on the side of the prosecution at Nuremburg.

His orders were to conduct his assigned operations in accorance with the rules set forth by his command, which includes following the laws of warfare.

He chose to break those laws, and got off with a light sentence only because no tangible harm has been traced back to his breach.

This sort of illegal handling of prisoners is tremendously dangerous to all Americans in the war zone.  If word gets out that the Amis do not respect prisoners, then you can expect all future American prisoners to be tortured and then killed.  The Arabs who do it will be able to say that they fight savages, and they have to play like they (we) do in order to survive.  

THAT is the legacy of this behaviour. Great long-term harm for a short term gain.  Tell *those* men that West acted properly.  He may have lost a hundred to save a dozen.

The difference between tactics and strategy.  I thought even a NCO understood matters like this.
Evidently not.
View Quote

So if you were a military leader and you had access to information that you knew would save the lives of your men, your politcally correct dumbass would disregard that information?

Assuming you were ever in the military, you are the type of leader that would lead his men to certain death before doing anything that might jeapordize your career.

Moron.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, you are just seemingly unable to grasp the long term harm and magnitude of American deaths his actions may have caused.
And unless you start doing fact and logic instead of emotion, I am done with you on this issue.
BTW, you lost.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That is why officers are instructed to not do those things.  When we torture prisoners, we lose our moral standing to punish those who do the same thing.
We discourage people to surrender, thus making them fight harder and cause more casualties.
The reason so many of our enemies surrender to us is because we have the reputation of treating our prisoners humanely.  
LTC West made the determination that the immediate demands of the mission outweighed his current orders.  He doesn't get to do that.
View Quote

You are right. What West did was legally wrong. The army had to punish him, but they chose to go light on him because the degree of the purported "torture" amounted to no more than slapping the guy around a little bit and shooting a pistol next to his head. Scared the crap out of the subject but no real harm was done.

LTC West wasn't dealing with an enemy prisoner. He was dealing with an Iraqi policeman supposedly on our side. That would make him a turncoat.

And the reason so many of our enemies surrender to us has more to do with superior firepower than any tender treatment they might receive at an EPW camp.

You are obviously an educated man, and make a good argument. I would not follow you into combat, however.

Panzer Out
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

No, you are just seemingly unable to grasp the long term harm and magnitude of American deaths his actions may have caused.
And unless you start doing fact and logic instead of emotion, I am done with you on this issue.
BTW, you lost.
View Quote

This isn't about winning or losing. It is about having the balls to do what you know is right no matter the consequences. I am also done with you on this subject. You belong over at DU with the rest of your Clintonite bretheren.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#31]
a very important rule in war: there are no rules. thou shalt win at all costs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

BTW, you lost.
View Quote

This isn't about winning or losing. It is about having the balls to do what you know is right no matter the consequences. I am also done with you on this subject. You belong over at DU with the rest of your Clintonite bretheren.

View Quote

Name calling.  You have no clue about my poitics, so just STFU about that.

Anyway, I am starting to get the idea I shouldn't wait for any Christmas cards from you.

I am crushed.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is so wrong on so many levels.

Bu-bye!   [wave]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

BTW, you lost.
View Quote

View Quote

Name calling.  You have no clue about my poitics, so just STFU about that.

Anyway, I am starting to get the idea I shouldn't wait for any Christmas cards from you.

I am crushed.

View Quote

I thought you were done with me on this issue?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]
You really aren't too quick, are you son?

Look at the last post by me to you, did it address the topic at all?  No?

Well, see!

[hint] BTW, this one doesn't either [/hint]

Bye now!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You really aren't too quick, are you son?

Look at the last post by me to you, did it address the topic at all?  No?

Well, see!

[hint] BTW, this one doesn't either [/hint]

Bye now!
View Quote

You're right; I never was too quick. I'm just working on my post count now!

[i]Danke sehr, kleine kinder! Du kanst mich mal![/i]

Panzer Out
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#37]
locked...pissing match......[:P]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
locked...pissing match......[:P]
View Quote

You sure?

I promise for the sake of the board not to reply to this thread again, if you want to leave it open.

How's that?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, Panzersergeant, your Moral Relativism is much more akin to the Left, as you put it, than the Right.  An action is good and just if it "feels good"...?

At what point would you draw the line?

Slapping?
Pretending to shoot a prisoner?
Firing but missing a prisoner?
Kneecapping a prisoner?
Gut Shooting a prisoner?
Shooting a prisoner in the head?
Shooting one prisoner to make another prisoner talk?
Throwing a prisoner in a plastic shredder?

Who makes the decision how much is too much?  You?  Me?  Who then?
That is why we have laws.  You admitted that he broke the law.  Which laws should be adhered to and which laws may be broken?
Personally, I think the LtCol had guts and [u] tried[/u] to do the right thing.  I also recognize the fact that he broke the law, and as such deserved to be punished, and I believe he recognized that fact.  He did the deed himself, fessed up and took non-judicial punishment because he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on with respect to a court martial.  You can rant and rave and call Ohio and company commie Clintonite Lefties, but the long and the short of the matter was the LtCol was [u] ultimately [/u]wrong, knew it and took what was coming to him.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The IB's are fratriciding.

CW
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:10:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
[:\]  [:\]  [:\]  [:\]  [:\]

In the CNN.com's article on this subject, the prosecutor's name was listed.  That was not a smart thing to, because one of the Army types on this board (on any other board) could get on AKO and look up her e-mail address, post it here (or on any other board), and people may e-mail her telling her what they think about her decision to prosecute--and some of those e-mails may not be positive.

[^]  [^]  [^]  [^]
Personally, I think LTC Allen acted properly.  Many of you would have done the same thing.  It is a sad day in the history of the Army when some REMF lawyer can second guess the actions of a combat infantryman, while that infantryman was enganged in combat; AND when the infantryman's actions prooved his suspicions correct.  Boys, in some cases--like combat--the end DOES justify the means.

[wave] [wave] [wave] [wave] [wave]
We cannot defeat terrorist tactics, using conventional tactics.  I don't buy the "professional soldier" rap either.  In fact, LTC Allen displayed more of the professional soldier type behavior than that prosecutor did. . . . What would you have LTC Allen do, sit the guy down for a chat and HOPE he would reveal the infromation Allen obtained.  I can see it now, "oh, by the way, we have an ambush set up down the road; and oh by the way you are the target of that ambush."

GET REAL
View Quote

That is why we send soldiers to fight our wars and not lawyers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That is so wrong on so many levels.

Bu-bye!   [wave]
View Quote

oh forgive me. thats the tenth commandment of specwar NOT a rule in conventional combat straught with paperwork, May-i's and polictical correctness.

you are the weakest link....buh bye. [wave]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#43]
From this thread it's pretty clear that it's LAWYERS who are running our wars now.  

"Wait, Mr. Enemy, I have to get a JAG on the horn before I can clear you out of that bunker."  

"Oh stop that vehicle and disable your bomb Mr. Terrorist, there's no JAG nearby to make sure I can shoot you before you drive through my barrier."  

"I simply cannot interrogate this man without a JAG present...no matter that he knows who and where the attack on the Bn. will occur...now, bring me a brandy and a cigar, quickly."

What a bunch of B.S.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Nobody has answered the question:
Where do you draw the line?
Are there no rules in Warfare, as Panzersergeant and WolfAR15 say?  Or are we a better nation because we can wage war, win and still be as just as possible in war.

I saw a post on another website recently which I think says it all.  I'll caveat this by saying his post [b][u]was NOT[/u][/b] regarding this topic, but regarding the capture of Saddam Hussein.  I'm not speaking for him or putting words in his mouth.  But I think that his words about America's military are just as applicable to this situation...

Please accept this heartfelt salute from a grateful old Marine. This salute is first of all for your bravery and belief in honor, duty, and our Country. Just as those who have worn your khaki patch with the four green ivy leaves before you have brought honor and distinction, not only to your unit, the United States Army, but to every man and woman who proudly call ourselves Americans, in the last forty eight hours you, you boots on the ground, have graphically demonstrated to the world one of the many things that separates the American military from almost every other combatant in the world. No, its’ not your ability to “kick ass” although you do that quit well, not your ability to bring overwhelming firepower on a hostile target, not your mobility and ability to shoot and scoot like so many other men who have earned the coveted Combat Infantryman’s Badge, not your gifted, highly qualified Officer Corps or veteran NCOs who we all know really are the ones that guarantee the job is done so professionally and completely. No its’ not the complex, sophisticated equipment you carry and fight with that would have been unknown to your brothers from other wars fought by other generations. It is not even the reality that you each live by your unit’s motto, “Steadfast and Loyal”. While I believe every word is true and my admiration for you is off the chart, what warms my heart and brings a proud tear to my eye is the proof you gentlemen have offered the world that what separates America’s sons in combat is their humanity, decency, and integrity. Only an American combat unit will unleash hell on an enemy and punish them beyond their wildest dreams, but when the fight is over an American unit will offer medical help, food, and respect to the very enemy that minutes or hours before wanted to kill you!

When you located and pulled that slimy, cowering, barbaric piece of human excrement out of his filthy rat hole not a shot was fired. To be honest I don’t believe anyone would have criticized you for waxing this POS. No you didn’t do that! What you did do and I have no special information, but like millions of other proud Americans only know what the media is reporting, once he no longer presented a threat (we understand his two brave bodyguards were caught from behind as they ran away) was to bring American values to this despot. It was reported and as American I can believe it, Saddam was read his Miranda Rights. Gentlemen you brought American values seven thousand miles from home and Saddam’s first introduction to real American justice was to be alive, unhurt, and listening to his rights. Gentlemen thank you for demonstrating to the world that the American Army will pound an enemy into oblivion, level the landscape, and destroy an enemy’s very will to fight, but unlike America’s enemy you bring humanity to the battlefield. Now the world can see, if not acknowledge, the reality of the American fighting man. You are, each and every one of you, world class warriors, now know that under your uniform, deep inside your chest beats the heart of American. You didn’t need us with you the other night, we know you can take care of yourself, but you’re our son, our brother, our husband, or boyfriend. We were not there, you had to carry your own weapon, drink from your own canteen, and carry your own load. We all pray that your life was a little safer last night because on your left and right were other sons of other family’s and nowhere in the world could you be in better company.

Gentlemen please accept my heart felt gratitude and thanks. Once again you have proven to this old dog that young pups can still prove me wrong. You see when I fell asleep last night I would have thought it impossible to be any more proud of being an American, but you gentlemen of the 4th ID proved me wrong! Tonight I will safely lay my head down (safe because, to a large part, your efforts and sacrifice) even more grateful to my Italian immigrant grandfather for having the courage to want a better life and start a chain reaction that permitted me to have the privilege of being born in America and the satisfaction of knowing that my knowledge is now shared by millions of people in the rest of the world, “Not since the world witnessed the Legions of Rome defeat almost the entire world’s population we have not seen a mightier military, but unlike the Legions of Rome, no army has ever possessed the humanity of the American fighting man”.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#45]
You can interrogate a prisoner all you want.  You can not threaten him with death if he doesn't talk, however.  

As for not wanting me as a commander, if you feel that the laws of the United States Military don't apply to you, I wouldn't want you in my unit and you wouldn't be there long.

When we decend down the moral relativism path, there is no return.

Say we didn't punish LTC West.  As some of you say, we should give him a medal.

"Here you go LTC West, here is a Silver Star. Or should I say General West."

How many soldiers would be beating the fuck out of every 13 year old they could find so they could some medals and a promotion too.  Beat them long enough, they will swear to have personally destroyed Iraqi WMDs.  Maybe kill a few to make the others talk.
We have already established the idea that violating the law of war and torturing prisoners will be ignored or rewarded.
Brilliant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I've asked the question before, and nobody will answer the question:

Who makes the final decision of what is too much?
When in the history of the United States has it been OK to torture or mistreat prisoners.

I won't claim that the simple act of firing a gun in the general vicinity of a prisoner to coerce him to talk is torture or really inhumane.  But at what point does it become coersion and become torture?

I've heard alot of rhetoric about PC, Leftist, Poor-Leadership, but nothing substantive.  No suggestions for how to "fix" the problem, if there is one.  For those of you who feel they know more that the rest of us...enlighten me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Yes, you are correct in quoting the UCMJ. Yes, what LTC West did was illegal. But, there are shades of gray to every thing we do in life... and war.

Bill Clinton had sex with a young intern in the White House. That in itself was no big deal since a lot of other presidents before him had similiar affairs. But he lied to congress to save his ass, and we both know that is illegal. He suffered impeachment and public humiliation. And yet, this less-than-honorable individual was allowed to finish out his term.

Why?

First, because he is a lawyer who is well versed in legal-babble ("...it all depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is...") And second, because those who sat in judgement of him recognized the "degree" of his transgression and, even though they knew he was a guilty scumbag, they couldn't bring themselves to bring the full weight of max punishment down on him. And so this sorry excuse for a commander-in-chief got to finish out his term with little more than a slap on the wrist.

When it comes to lying to congress, what is the limit of fibbing that a public official can do to save his ass? Where do you draw the line?

You guys who are blathering the loudest about LTC West's "crimes" are obviously not military men, at least not the type responsible for leading men in combat. LTC West knew what he did went against the UCMJ, and yet he did it anyway to save his men. He made a judgement call knowing he would have to live with the consequences. The army leaders who were responsible for punishing him were wise enough to recognize the degree of his transgression warranted as light as punishment as possible.

We are fighting a non-conventional war in Iraq. Young soldiers are getting blown up almost daily by insidiously camouflaged roadside bombs without the chance of even fighting back. As their commander, what would you say to their parents about the demise of their sons and daughters? "I'm sorry to have to inform you of the death of your son, Johnny. He died bravely today in an ambush that could have been avoided if only I could have gotten an Iraqi policeman to talk..."

Whether you're a lying liberal president or a combat officer, there are shades of gray to everything in life... and war.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Actually I have worn a green tab in a combat environment.  
You have some who believe that LTC West should be given a medal and made a hero for torturing a prisoner.  I don't agree.  The punishment was fitting considering the circumstances.  You have to punish a war crime.  A lot of people on here refuse to admit that is what it was.  I think the point has been made that it was a war crime.  
Once that point is admitted, what do you do with a soldier who commits a war crime?  As a commander, there were things I didn't want to know was going on.  But if I did know, I had to act.  You must.  That is the discipline required.  
I hold myself, and LTC West, to a higher standard than Bill Clinton.  I hold my labrador retriever to a higher standard than Bill Clinton.
I can not speak to the morality of LTC West's actions as I wasn't there.  But I can speak to the legality of his actions.  I can also speak to the requirements of the Army to punish soldiers who break the law of war, regardless of their motivation.  
By your reasoning, the Iraqis beating the fuck out of our pilots in the Gulf War was OK because they needed the information.  That is what real "combat" soldiers do.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:19:02 AM EDT
[#49]
[b]You still haven't answered the question.
Who makes that decision?[/b]

Bill Clinton had sex with a young intern in the White House. That in itself was no big deal since a lot of other presidents before him had similiar affairs. But he lied to congress to save his ass, and we both know that is illegal. He suffered impeachment and public humiliation. And yet, this less-than-honorable individual was allowed to finish out his term.

Why?

First, because he is a lawyer who is well versed in legal-babble ("...it all depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is...") And second, because those who sat in judgement of him recognized the "degree" of his transgression and, even though they knew he was a guilty scumbag, they couldn't bring themselves to bring the full weight of max punishment down on him. And so this sorry excuse for a commander-in-chief got to finish out his term with little more than a slap on the wrist.

When it comes to lying to congress, what is the limit of fibbing that a public official can do to save his ass? Where do you draw the line?
View Quote

There should be no limit to the "fibbing".  He was guilty.  He should have been removed from office.  Easy.

You guys who are blathering the loudest about LTC West's "crimes" are obviously not military men, at least not the type responsible for leading men in combat.
View Quote

Wrong.
Wrong.

One of the arguments for impeaching Clinton was the fact that as the Commander in Chief, he should have been held to the standard that the rest of the military was.  He was an adulterer, so he should have been impeached, much like any other member of the military.  He lied under oath, which, again, has no "shade of gray" in the military.  How could our military follow a CINC if he was not held to the same standard as the rest of us.  No you're arguing that because Clinton wiggled free, we're (those of us in the military) now free to slide and wiggle.  What kind of moral relativism is that.  Your argument is exactly the same argument that the PC community use to justify their blather.

"Well, it's not against the law, per se, but it hurts my feelings, so it must be wrong, so you can't do that"

is exactly the same as saying

"Well, I know it's against the law, but because doing it makes me or someone else feel good about ourselves, it must be OK"

What's the difference.  
When does the Rule of Law become optional?
You still haven't answered the question...

EDITED TO ADD:
The rules that the LtCol broke are there for many reasons.  They are there to protect ourselves.  Sylvan mentioned the fact that they protect us from others when captured in the hope they will abide by the same laws we supposedly hold ourselves to.  But they also protect us from ourselves.  Say the LtCol had gotten off scott free.  Now say another person in the exact same situation did the exact same thing.  Now suppose the prisoner literally had a heart attack and died?  Now what would become of the interrogator?  He did exactly what someone else did.  He acted "correctly", but yet someone died.  Should he be prosecuted?  Should he get in trouble?  Or is it all fun a games unless someone else gets hurt...?
Or suppose the prisoner didn't flinch.  Now does the interrogator stand by and do nothing as his Bn goes into harms way?  Or should he ramp up his techniques, just a bit...?  If what he just did was kosher, then surely a bit more "persuasive" techniques must be allright...?

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:19:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You guys who are blathering the loudest about LTC West's "crimes" are obviously not military men, at least not the type responsible for leading men in combat.
View Quote

Do you ever stop making assumptions and actually research [i]facts[/i]?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top