BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I was out shooting on my uncle’s range, SO showed up. Was funny because Chief Deputy, 3 other local officers and a few FF was with me. Was called in sounding like a war was going on. Well yeah...??
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohio
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tannerite is however now illegal in Ohio.
View Quote
But other common high explosives are still good, right?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Op should move to Oklahoma and be my neighbor.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You can use all the BP you want, but light a firecracker without a display permit and you committed a first degree misdemeanor.  In short, the thunder mug is perfectly legal, but a lady finger isn't.
View Quote
There is a good chance that the fireworks law gets changed next year.

I don't know what to do with the 40lbs of tannerite that is in my basement.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
This is the only real answer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fuck his wife.

Says so right in the rule book.
View Quote
Also this seems appropriate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do you guys handle this?
View Quote
Tannerite.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Shooting a cannon, and a full auto"

S.O. sent out a deputy, and he pulled about 400 feet back into the property on my drive.

I am shooting suppressed when I hear the blips from his siren.

I hop in the SxS and head up there, sure enough there is the cruiser.

Tells me the neighbor (points) has complained that I am shooting a full auto, and some type of cannon.

Yes.  Yes I am.  I point to a 8" barreled FAL and other toys in the SxS

He laughs and says yeah thats probably it.

Tells me if it was his property, he would keep right on having fun.  I am done for the day anyway.

He asks if my range is safe, I show him, all is well.

How do you guys handle this?  I have 4 neighbors within a half mile.  All but one shoots all the time.  Whats expected of this in the future?

Land is out in the county as much as it can be.
View Quote
Continued complaints.  You can ignore.  You can be a little neighborly and shoot when it will be little chance of offending neighbor, but will still be annoying.
Are there any noise ordinances in your county?  That could be enforced.
The neighbor will/could start looking for ways to shut your little range down.
You might try speaking with neighbor if they persist in calling the law.

Then again, it may be a one time deal
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

S.O. sent out a deputy, and he pulled about 400 feet back into the property on my drive.

Tells me the neighbor (points) has complained that I am shooting a full auto, and some type of cannon.

Tells me if it was his property, he would keep right on having fun.  I am done for the day anyway.

How do you guys handle this?  I have 4 neighbors within a half mile.  All but one shoots all the time.  Whats expected of this in the future?

View Quote

Since I work in a large city, I’ll never go on a run like that, but if I did, I’d handle it by asking to check for safety, maybe make a suggestion or two (got any steel targets, OP?)

Most importantly, if you have anything I’ve never fired before, I’d try to weasel my way into firing a few rounds.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And shoot it full auto.  
View Quote
Here you go.  From Milweb.net

956 Bofors Anti Aircraft Gun

18 December '18
Genuine & original condition. Dated 1956. Sits nicely as it is or ideal for restoration. Data plates still attached, Comes with current deactivation paperwork. Ideal winter project. Viewing is highly recommended & welcome to genuine/serious buyers via appointment
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a loud fucking muzzle break and make his life miserable
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Continued complaints.  You can ignore.  You can be a little neighborly and shoot when it will be little chance of offending neighbor, but will still be annoying.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full auto could be the issue. We used to do a lot of shooting at a friends house. Went on with no issue for years. Then my stamp came in and I took possession of a lovely M16A1. Then the calls started being made. Lots of people believe that machine guns are completely illegal. Happened at more than one regular shooting spot as well. No problems until the full auto starts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get a loud fucking muzzle break and make his life miserable
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OK, I have to get in on this for the official Piss Off Ohio Neighbors Invitational. #OhioGunsMatter.
View Quote
Piss Off Ohio Neighbors - TANnerite and Guns

I'm all all about POON-TANG
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its never happened, but id probably dump it on DNR since they have primary jurisdiction over public and private shooting ranges.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the landowner refuses your request what would be your recourse.
Its never happened, but id probably dump it on DNR since they have primary jurisdiction over public and private shooting ranges.
Department of Natural Resources can require a private landowner to submit to an inspection of their private range.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP ahould have asked the deputy to wan the neighbor about the punishments for false reports.
View Quote
What part was false?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Be considerate about when you shoot.

View Quote
But... but... Muh Freedumz..!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
That was a glorious day!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Time to build that 7.5” .308 pistol with a binary trigger and magpul drum
View Quote
this

plus this

plus this

and this

Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#25]
every time we would shoot at my place  the guy who lives over and behind us would come over and complain in some weird way

old guy who has nothing better to do than complain

the last time we were shooting this man comes up and over the berm we are shooting at

after much "holy shits" and cease fires

he proceeds to tell us about how his grandkids play back here on "his" land and he doesn't want anything to happen to them

the grandkids hes talking about are my age and I have never seen anybody in the woods behind my place
after he showed he was dumb enough to walk all the way around my property and walk over the berm we were actively shooting at
I decided right or wrong we would no longer shoot at my place  

the old man has become a problem
Im guessing dementia has set in   and while I can certainly sympathize with his family
his shit is getting real old

a while back it was me cutting down a tree on "his" property

(my property, surveyed and marked properly)
and yesterday he was digging through my other neighbors mailbox

I haven't decided what to do about that one yet
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I would probably start shooting at night just to piss off the bitch neighbor even more.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Was it full auto?
View Quote
FULL SEMI AUTO!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
This , get a nice 12 pounder and let it rip
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#29]
You need The Earth Shaker!!  I did one of these at my camp blew out 2 windows , broke 1 more and the light bulb tubes fell out of the fixtures and broke when they hit the floor. Fun Time!! Oh also blew up our new wooden target holder we just built that day.  Never used tannerite till that day and I thought more was better and I was Right!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Be neighborly and invite the idiot that doesn't shoot to buy a gun and use your range with you. If he complains again then invite him to upass and move to the city where he can listen to the locals shoot it out in the ghetto all day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not in OH, legal to own, not legal to set off.  
View Quote
Sorry man.
50 BMG day then?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Buy a "Thunder Mug" (not to poo in), it's a signaling device for ships back in the day. 1oz of black powder, a little bread for wadding(and creating back pressure for the more noise), 6" fuse, and it will rattle dishes 3/4 mile away. They are awesome. Best size is 1-3/4" bore, perfect for a golf ball or a crammed in tennis ball, or a bundle of zip tied glow sticks at night. Use a hard surface when shooting, if not it will implant itself 4" down on a normal dirt yard. And never ever fire it while holding it, it would rip your hand or arm off. Fire it on solid ground and stand back, atleast 100'.  It's a different kind of boom. It will put a smile on the face of anyone who watches, make their heart skip a couple beats, or they might just poop their pants(just a little).

Have a great day You All.
View Quote
Wha ....?

Off to google

Oh my God you glorious bastard!
We should have our house paid off by the 4th of July and I am going to buy one of these to celebrate ...

Big bada boom
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#33]
A lot of people who make bullshit calls about people shooting lie to the 911 operators too.

A friend of mine got a new neighbor who apparently wasn't into guns. First time she heard him on his outdoor range she called 911 and told them he was shooting at her house. Whole bunch of cops showed up, but just made sure he was shooting safely. She called several more times and eventually they told her to stop. She has also accused him of shooting at her horses. Which, he pointed out, would be dead if he were actually shooting at them.

Ex-girlfriend's dad got into a property dispute. Expected to be able to buy a neighbor's lot if they ever sold. Neighbor sold to a developer instead (classic Arfcom property dispute).

The dad was a dick to the developer. Some vandalism and burned signs on the new subdivision as they were starting to clear the land. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it, actually.

Builder was walking the land. Dad was "target shooting" his thumbhole AK clone with a friend who was visiting. Builder called 911 and said Dad dumped a mag at him.

Many, many sheriff deputies come to house, take AK, arrest Dad who makes bail right away and is briefly charged with attempted murder and felony firearms. 10 grand or so in lawyer fees and it goes away, "he said, she said".

I wouldn't be surprised if he at least pointed the rifle at the builder guy. He was kind of a dick.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hopefully the officer went back to complaining neighbor and explained that it is legal for you to shoot FA weapons and cannons.
View Quote
That is what happened when a new neighbor (NE transplant) called the County on me (not me, actually, it was my daughter's boyfriend shooting on my range).  He explained to me that, in Alabama, if someone curses/harasses at you, while you engage in legal activities on your own property, you can file charges.  Next day, I go out and blast away. I have a video cam running, facing toward my fence (deputy suggested that it might be wise to gather evidence) None of the Bostonians came out cursing me from my own fence like they did that boy.

I love my Alabama.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You need The Earth Shaker!!  I did one of these at my camp blew out 2 windows , broke 1 more and the light bulb tubes fell out of the fixtures and broke when they hit the floor. Fun Time!! Oh also blew up our new wooden target holder we just built that day.  Never used tannerite till that day and I thought more was better and I was Right!!!
View Quote
my gang of misfits calls a 4 pound tannerite shot, a good start

the pressure wave is half the fun

a coffee can sized container will snap a 4x4

one must be sure to keep car and fridge doors from smushing the firingline
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Get a full auto cannon. A Bofors 40mm should do the trick

Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#37]
So many people shoot in my AO there is generally never a quite moment on the weekend if you're outside.

I did have cops show up at my shooting range once...but just ignored them until they went away.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Get a full auto cannon. A Bofors 40mm should do the trick

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89/Bofors-40-L70-hatzerim-2-1-809957.jpg
View Quote
If only....................
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Ive had this happen several times while instructing.  The funny thing is that when the neighbors would ask to have a deputy sent out, they usually took my card and helped me network with LE Agencies.  Never had one be upset at what was going on.  I am always very cordial and professional with Deputies... and usually invited them to stay and watch, or participate a little.

The way I dealt with the neighbors was setting clear guidelines with hours of training and safety procedures.  I'd present the responding deputy with those guidelines and they would convey it to the neighbors, along with letting him see that I was an insured and certified instructor.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#40]
It quelled the easy neighbors, but due to some bad apples that kept making up false claims.. (along with secretly using the range while no-one was there), I decided to discontinue using that range after we completed the scheduled courses there.  Texas has a Range Protection Act that prevents people from shutting down ranges due to noise.  So they didn't have a legal leg to stand on, and I had photos of them using the range via game cameras.  They began to attack my business via social media, and I professionally asked them to remove them.  When they continued their attack, I stayed professional, and just let them know that if they continued the attack, I would be purchasing the property from the owner, along with the property across the street... and turn it into a PUBLIC shooting range.
The attacks stopped, and posts deleted that very day.

The key to maintaining as much control of the situation was regardless of the names they called me, and the attempted slander of my company and family tree.  I never returned anything but a calm demeanor and professional response.  No name calling, no yelling.  If this came to a real legal battle, there would be ample evidence that they were emotionally charged, and I was not.  If the Sheriff chose sides, it would be mine.

At other rural private ranges that I've used, I've asked the deputy to let them know they're invited to call me, or even come out and watch a little.

Maybe not the exact same situation, but hope it helps!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I live in the county but also have a few houses nearby so this thread actually got me thinking and researching this topic for potential. Much like I thought, it's a no go but I live two miles from the Nation Forest boundary so no big deal.

It has  been  determined  that a  Shooting  Range  (unless  within a  completely  enclosed building),  Target  Practice  Range,  Mounted Cowboy  Shooting,  etc.  is  not an accessory use  customarily  incidental to  any  permitted  principal use  in  any  rural  or  residential zoning  district.

The  discharge  of  a firearm  is  not  harmonious  to  a  residential neighborhood environment. This determination  includes  any  type  of  firearm  –  including  black powder and blanks  that  emanate  noise  not  harmonious  to  a  residential  neighborhood environment.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#42]
You have submitted for the 911 calls already?  Right?

Believe me it is worth doing
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Go to neighbors house to talk.  Act very sorry and use a conciliatory approach. Mid convo ask neighbor if you can use the restroom.  Leave and upper decker in the toilet and go home.
View Quote
I'm sure that probably won't help de-escalate the situation.... but gottdamn I like the way you think!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Tannerite is the answer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like you have the money to afford transferables or are an SOT, so the only option is to buy a M2 50 cal and do belt dumps when you know the neighbor is home...
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#46]
We have a character down the road named "Dragon Man".

Years (many) ago a few neighbors complained often about the noise from his range.  So IIRC, Mel decided to do a public service announcement function. He would go out and fire the 50 at 1:55am to signal last call, everyday.

Guess the neighbors decided noise during the day was better than his PSA.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Get a 10 gauge shotgun and a box of black powder rounds for your next sunrise flag raising ceremony.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I see you've been told to buy a cannon, OP.
So my only suggestion is to buy 2.
View Quote
Do you own a loudspeaker and are you familiar with the 1812 Overture OP? It was performed live with 16 cannons. Just sayin'
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
And a full auto
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's more than semi auto.

A.W.D.
View Quote
Or is it full semi auto?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top