Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 5:49:15 PM EDT
I have a deer hide sitting in my freezer.  I want to tan it and keep the fur on to use it as a wall decoration or something like that.

I have been reading on the 'net about brain-tanning, but I'm starting to think that's too much trouble.

Can anyone recommend a webpage/tanning kit/book or any other resources to get me going with the easiest way to tan this hide?  This will basically be my first hide I may tan more hides in the future, but this will be a first one for practise and because I'm curious how well it will turn out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Brain Tanning is a wonderful thing, but trying to do your first hide as a hair on hide is not good.  Hair on Deer hides are really nothing but a controlled loss of the hair.  Deer hair being hollow they break with any real use(Read every visitor to your house will want to "Pet" the deer) and you will have a constant mess to clean up.

Look on the net for Tanning kits that will give you a better finished product first time out.

Luke (Who loves his brain tanned, hair on buffalo hide when trying to survive winter)

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I did it a few times as a kid with rabbit furs. I wanted to make a Daniel Boone style hat. Ended up having a friend sell the raccoon fur though. Made $30. A lot of money for a 7 year old.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I once pulled my pants down at the beach and burned my balls pretty bad. I wanted to tan my hide, but I think I overdid it...

We tanned a squirrel hide when I was a kid. We stretched it out on a frame really tight and then cured it with? I don't remember. What I do know is the damn thing is stiff as a board, is still around today and doesn't lose any hair. I can call my Pops and find out what we used.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
PSYWAR1-0 is right, the deer's hollow hairs do have a tendency to break off really easily.

Brain tanning is quite a process, but I think it gives the best result.  A good method for beginners is the "salting" method.

I've only done brain tanning and salting so I can't give any advice on any of the kits or chemical methods.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My deer hide, harvested in October, is hanging on my shed outside. I wanted to "rug" it, but it didnt work out, and I had no idea on how to do it.

Instead, I dried it, using nothing but the Arizona sun and it came out well enough to hang on the shed. Looks cool to boot. To assist the drying period I tied it inside out to my ATV seat on the long drive home, so the 75 mph wind helped a little.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
God, back in the 70s, I tanned a couple of hides, I remember working the brain of the animal into the hide, but I'm hit with another case of CRS. I also remember working the hide (hair off)back and forth on a piece of Manila tied to a branch on one end and a stake in the ground on the other.

I also remember smoking the hide by hanging it up in the lodge poles of the tipi that I called home back then.

I  made a buckskin shirt out of the hides.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
OK Piccolo, if you are not bullshitting, I gotta hear more abou the circumstances surrounding you living in a tipi. That sounds like a sweet set-up for a little while. Could be another thread?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hair on Deer hides are really nothing but a controlled loss of the hair.  Deer hair being hollow they break with any real use(Read every visitor to your house will want to "Pet" the deer) and you will have a constant mess to clean up.
View Quote

Hmmm, I never knew that about deer hides.  I guess I will do this one "hairless."  That's too bad, as the fur felt nice and soft and thick while it was still on the animal.

I'm hoping to bag a few coyotes this winter, but the first few I will probably send away to get done professionally.  Maybe I'll try and brain tan a coyote hide if I bag enough of them.

So for the fist time out...will these kits work OK?  I'm asking because I am already going to be buying some stuff from this place so I may as well combine it into one order:

[url]http://www.rpoutdoors.com/tansup1.html[/url]

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Keep 'em comin'!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK Piccolo, if you are not bullshitting, I gotta hear more abou the circumstances surrounding you living in a tipi. That sounds like a sweet set-up for a little while. Could be another thread?
View Quote

Right after I got out of the army, i went back to school for a while. I lived in a tipi outside of Woodland Park, CO for about 14 months. There were reasons for this: Money(it was cheap) and the fulfillment of a childhood dream.
I commuted to and from school in an old VW Beetle.
It was OK AT THE TIME. I was in my early 20s and bulletproof. I'd not like it too much these days, though.
I just found an old photo album, and one of these days I'll post the pics.(If it's the photo album with pics of the tipi.)
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to make fur hats when I trapped for a living. Dixietan powder was what I used. Hair on tanning is not easy but since you want a wall hanger it wont be as bad. All the working of the hide can be left out because it would just sag and hang funny soft tanned.

For hair off on a deer hide you need to get all the fat and meat off. Then make a thick soup of hardwood ashes and water. Soak the hide for about 10 days in the solution, stirring every day for even coverage. After the hair starts slipping, scrape it off with a sharpened tablespoon. Stretch it and dry it at this point for rawhide or go to the Dixietan from there.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't even mess with it. Take it to your local taxidermist and have him send it to a real tannery for you and eat the $50.

Or... you can prep it yourself and send it to Moyle tannery, they do awesome work at a good price.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Right after I got out of the army, i went back to school for a while. I lived in a tipi outside of Woodland Park, CO for about 14 months. There were reasons for this: Money(it was cheap) and the fulfillment of a childhood dream.
I commuted to and from school in an old VW Beetle.
It was OK AT THE TIME. I was in my early 20s and bulletproof. I'd not like it too much these days, though.
I just found an old photo album, and one of these days I'll post the pics.(If it's the photo album with pics of the tipi.)
View Quote

Thanks for the story, has always been a childhood dream of mine, too. Juice standing by for pics...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out WASCO, these folks are great and I use their products. Easiest & most reasonable way to go. $24 for a deer tanning kit.
[url]http://www.taxidermy.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have wondering abotu the same thing, for I have a cow moose hyde fillin my freezer and wondered if it would be done cheeper.

I have had quotes of $400. and more.
Sheezed $50 would be great since its only about 3 times the size of a white tail.

BISHOP

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#15]
btt for the weekend warriors
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top