Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2003 7:21:04 AM EDT
www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/7383979.htm

Well?  Glock caught Hell from some folks for this... What about the Brazilians?

Manufacturer joins the state's 'smart gun' effort
By Tom Bell
Associated Press

TRENTON - Officials at the New Jersey Institute of Technology say efforts to develop a "smart gun" have taken another step forward with the addition of a weapons manufacturer as a partner.

Taurus International Manufacturing of Florida agreed last week to try to design a handgun that would incorporate technology that would allow only designated users to fire it.

While the Newark institute is developing the grip-recognition technology, another partner company, Metal Storm, is working on an electronic firing system for the smart gun.

Nearly a year ago, New Jersey became the first state to enact a law that will require that new handguns for sale use such technology.

The law, promoted as a way to reduce accidental handgun deaths, will not be enforced until three years after the state attorney general determines that a smart-gun prototype is safe and commercially available.

"The addition of a commercial producer to our technology partnership is vital to ensuring that our design reflects the combined influences of efficient manufacturing practice and consumer preferences," said Donald H. Sebastian, vice president for research and development at the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

"By working prototype and commercial-product design in parallel, we will shave years off the development cycle."

Opponents of the state's smart-gun legislation, including groups that promote the rights of gun owners, said smart-gun technology was still years from the market and would be legally challenged anyway.

"This whole legislation is just waiting for hundreds of lawsuits if it does happen," said Nancy Ross, spokeswoman for the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs.

After the legislation passed, institute researchers moved ahead with a patented design that would embed, in both sides of a gun handle, small electronic sensors that would identify the user's grip. Only those whose grips had been programmed into the gun could fire it instantly.

Metal Storm's firing system would use barrels preloaded with bullets. That would allow the gun's owner to interchange barrels with different calibers.

Taurus would provide a gun that uses both technologies with a minimum of moving parts, institute officials said.

Gun owners fear the law will force them to buy just one model of gun that is cheap, heavy and hard to use, Ross said
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Shiiiiiiiiit, Taurus can't make a "dumb" gun that shoots right.

How are they going to make a "smart" one??
[peep] [flame suit on]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#2]
[s]Glock[/s]
[s]Taurus[/s]

I'll just stick with Ruger for Revolvers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[s]Glock[/s]
[s]Taurus[/s]

I'll just stick with Ruger for Revolvers.
View Quote

Smith and Colt made some mighty fine revolvers!

Wonder why we don't just have a piece of rope hooked to the trigger that would just drop into the flash-pan and set the powder charge off(then we could ban the matches and lighters,Do it for the children)!

Would mean having a candle lit by the old bedside again!

Somebody help me PLEASE!!!

Bob [:D]  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesus Christ, pretty soon there will be noone left to boycott.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ, pretty soon there will be noone left to boycott.
View Quote

There will be other firms to take advantge of a market with high demand and few competitors.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The law, promoted as a way to reduce accidental handgun deaths, will not be enforced until three years after the state attorney general determines that a smart-gun prototype is safe and commercially available.
View Quote

So New Jersey citizens will have to start buying smart handguns somewhere around 2103.

This is the biggest PR publicity stunt that don't mean shit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
i don't really have a problem with the smart gun thing. As long as it's another option and not the ONLY gun you can buy. That is a politics problem and not a company problem.

As for taurus i won't boycott them for this. If they jump on the ballistic fingerprinting like GLOCK did then YES i will.

mike
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shiiiiiiiiit, Taurus can't make a "dumb" gun that shoots right.

View Quote

I now have coffee on my keyboard....thanks [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top