Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 6:11:56 PM EDT
Been with Verizon for many years. with the advent of the new law allowing one to keep the same phone number I am seriously contemplating switching to a new provider. Seriously looking at T mobile because of the ability to use it in other parts of the world.  

what are your expeiences with T-mobile and the other providers.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
T-Mobile, hands down! The BEST provider I have ever had. I get service in far more places than anybody around here with Verizon, AT&T, Cell One, etc. Great customer services, and good calling plans too.

Stay far, far away from AT&T
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Will a U.S phone work in Europe?? i thought that transmitted on different frequencies, or protocols.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
only in North america do they use CDMa and Tdma. The rest of the world uses GSM. with GSm you can use it in europe and Asia and other parts of the world with no problems
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll echo ComputerGuy and say stay the hell away from AT&T.  Biggest bunch of asses I've ever dealt with.  I have the expiration date of my contract marked so I can cancel it that day.  Nothing but problems with them from day one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Been with At&T for years. Never a problem and great customer service. Always get a deal on the phone and extra minutes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It won't be that long before GSM is no longer the world standard outside the US.

CDMA2000 will be the next world standard.  You heard it hear first.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Just came back from living three years in Korea.  They do not use GSM.  Maybe they are not part of this "whole world" the GSM marketers are referring to.

I have a T-mobile air card for internet access.  So far it has only worked in the city I bought it.  That coverage map is BULLSHIT, as I am right off the interstate in Huntsville - an area clearly shown as receiving their digital coverage.  As others have said also - GOOD FREAKIN LUCK using your t-mobile phone away from a major city.  Every timne your Verizon phone goes to analog now, your t-mobile phone will completely quit working.

FWIW, my verizon phone is receiving a full-barred digital signal here, so you won't necessarily get a digital signal even where your Verizon phone does.

I've put 15,000 miles under my wheels in the past 6 months.  My Verizon phone has woirked everywhere from Kansas to New York to Florida and all points in between.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will a U.S phone work in Europe?? i thought that transmitted on different frequencies, or protocols.
View Quote

I used my phone all over eastern Europe.  You just need a "world" phone that can operate at the european frequencies.

I have T-Mobile and the service pretty much sucks in the bay area.  I drop at least half of my calls at some point.  That said I don't know if any of the other carriers are any better here.  At least service is cheap.  I get 1000 anytime minutes for forty bucks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Verizon has some of the best serive anywhere in the country.  It's amazing, I can go from coast to coast w/ vertually no problems in my service, but I can't get a fucking signal sitting on my couch!!!

All cell phone companies suck.  Some just suck more than others.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Verizon
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It won't be that long before GSM is no longer the world standard outside the US.

View Quote

Like so many other bits of baloney.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends on where you are.

Here AT&T and Singular work the best. T-Mobile and Verizon suck.

Go with AT&T. Why? Because I work for them. We need all the business we can get.

Oh yeah, all these companies have the same people running them with the same mentality. The management of these companies just does a round robin. Most of the executives have worked for AT&T, Sprint, MCI, Verizon, etc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Depends on where you are.

Here AT&T and Singular work the best. T-Mobile and Verizon suck.

Go with AT&T. Why? Because I work for them. We need all the business we can get.
View Quote

Bah.  Screw AT&T, and SprintPCS.  They've been fighting the number portability law tooth and nail all along, and are making it difficult for customers to port their number over to new service.  I've been trying to get my SprintPCS number ported over to Tmobile since the 18th of November.  I can make calls out on my Tmobile phone, but it still rings thru on my SprintPCS phone.  Word on various places is that AT&T and Sprint are lollygagging around because they don't like the law.

FUCK YOU SPRINT!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had T-Mobile/Voice Stream for about two years and I have not had any trouble with it.  I travel all over the US and I never have any problems with no coverage or dropped calls.

My problem is that I need a new phone.  The batteries for my phone are no longer available.  When I contacted T-Mobile to get a new phone, they pretty much want me to pay full price to upgrade, or they will give me $20 off an outdated phone.  That blows.

I am waiting until after the first of the year and then I will probably transfer my number to a new company.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#16]
AT&T has the best coverage in my area. Have had almost no problems with them. Use my phone on several cross country trips and travel in Texas with no loss of signal.

I have also had no problems with customer service until recently since the cell number laws went into effect. They are always busy but got everything taken care of over the internet with no problems.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Sprint Wireless card for the PC and ATT wireless (different company than ATT, believe it or not) cell phone..... phone coverage is dicy at best when away from large cities, usually only reception on main highways.

PCS wireless card has GREAT reception and the ability to check email, look up load data, etc while on the road ALMOST makes it worth the $95/month.  Careful, you can get hooked on PCS wireless card.... Bandwidth is about 60k, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Verizon Wireless

[url=http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2003060&search=1]JD Power ranks Verizon number one in network quality[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For voice, in the US, Verizon Wireless has (by FAR!!!) the best coverage area and generally the best service.  They also offer PTT now, if that matters to you.

Sprint is second place for coverage, but their customer service is HORRIBLE.  Think "Hesse."

For DATA, T-Mobile has the best rates and speeds, and their GSM phones can be used all over the world, but *coverage* in the US is very limited (mostly metro areas, of course), and these phones cannot make use of analog networks in areas where GSM digital is not available.  If you travel outside the US or stay pretty exclusively in large cities, then GSM is for you.

-Troy
View Quote

What he said!

Damn! You're good Troy.

BTW...I have T Mobile...and I like it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Verizon.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

You should know baloney, as you are the king of bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Verizon
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow!! AT&T and Sprint and Cingular were rated above T mobile!! Now I'm really confused
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Gee, if I worked for T-Mobile, would my opinion be perceived as biased?  Maybe I'll just stay out of this discussion.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#27]
T Mobile has given me the most minutes for the least money and with excellent service.

Stay away from anything to do with CellularOne. They are the biggest bunch of butt-reaming assholes on Earth, and would crawl across their mother's grave to fuck their sister in her brown eye for your last dollar.

IMO, of course.

SG
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I love the hell out of my NEXTEL...

Just like a walkie-talkie, but it works cross-country...

Best thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have had T-Mobile/Voice Stream for about two years and I have not had any trouble with it.  I travel all over the US and I never have any problems with no coverage or dropped calls.

My problem is that I need a new phone.  The batteries for my phone are no longer available.  When I contacted T-Mobile to get a new phone, they pretty much want me to pay full price to upgrade, or they will give me $20 off an outdated phone.  That blows.

I am waiting until after the first of the year and then I will probably transfer my number to a new company.
View Quote

That's odd, usually once your contract runs out you can get a new phone for whatever new deal going on is if you sign the new contract.  I think you should go to one of the smaller retailers, as they are often out to make really good deals to get your contract.  The cingular kiosk in the mall was offering my wife all sorts of shit to get her to resign with them, she was even able to haggle on the rates.  Go give one of those places a try.

And good luck because I'm about to do the same with my T-mobile phone and I hope it works.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Trac-Phone.........[headbang]

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

You should know baloney, as you are the king of bullshit.
View Quote

The EVRC codec used in CDMA 2000 sounds like horseshit. It's very dead tonally compared to GSM's EFR or even the old 13k Qualcomm CDMA codec. Go and test the new AMR codec used by Cingular in their GSM 850 rollout. It is actually quite good. In fact, I could not tell the different between it and my T-Mobile phone.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Gee, if I worked for T-Mobile, would my opinion be perceived as biased?  Maybe I'll just stay out of this discussion.  [:D]
View Quote

I have the same problem...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top