Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 11:13:22 AM EDT
Forget that screwed up BCS BS, Wanna see a real college football national championship game?

North Dakota State vs. Grand Valley State for the NCAA Divison II National Championship this coming Saturday 12/13 in Florence Alabama, on ESPN @ 4 PM.

Grand Valley State Univ.(Michigan) is the reigning Division II champs and this is the third year in a row they've gone to the championship game. They beat Valdosta last year but lost to North Dakota in 2001.

Darn good ass kicking football!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Clemson-Tennesee
Peachbowl baby!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Forget that screwed up BCS BS, Wanna see a real college football national championship game?

North Dakota State vs. Grand Valley State for the NCAA Divison II National Championship this coming Saturday 12/13 in Florence Alabama, on ESPN @ 4 PM.

Grand Valley State Univ.(Michigan) is the reigning Division II champs and this is the third year in a row they've gone to the championship game. They beat Valdosta last year but lost to North Dakota in 2001.

Darn good ass kicking football!
View Quote

These teams had to win playoff games to advance to a true championship game.  Each team will have played like 15 games, including the championship.  If Division II football can do it, why can't Division I?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Clemson-Tennesee
Peachbowl baby!
View Quote

I with you there -Absolut-
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]
OKLAHOMA VS LSU is the true Championship game.
They are truely the two best teams in the Country. USC got the peoples vote because there are so damn many people in LA and Ca to vote for them. USC had a weak schedule and lost 1 game all year.
OU and LSU had much tougher schedules and also lost 1 game each all year.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

These teams had to win playoff games to advance to a true championship game.  Each team will have played like 15 games, including the championship.  If Division II football can do it, why can't Division I?
View Quote

$$$, it's all about the Benjamins.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

More games, more money.  The argument that a play-off season affects studies and class schedules is bullshit.  Players at that level are athletes, not student-athletes during football season.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OU and LSU had much tougher schedules and also lost 1 game each all year.
View Quote
OU had a tough schedule? Really?

North Texas (37-3)
at Alabama (20-13)
Fresno State (52-28)
UCLA (59-24)
at Iowa State (53-7)
at Texas (65-13)
Missouri (34-13)
at Colorado (34-20)
Oklahoma State (52-9)
Texas A&M (77-0)
Baylor (41-3)
at Texas Tech (56-25)

and of course, Kansas State (7-35)

OK, where is the tough part of the schedule? True, the 65-13 drubbing of Texas in Dallas was impressive, but c'mon. They did not play KSU or Nebraska during the regular season, and got to play 3 Big 12, Southern Conference games in a row at home. Hell, even Baylor put points on the board against OU. OU will play Nebraska and KSU the next two years though, once at home and once on the road, and they'll have to do it without Heisman pretender Jason White.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
OU had a tough schedule? Really?
View Quote

That's exactly what I've said all along. They spend most of their season playing cupcake teams and figuring out how to put a positive spin on it. UNT is their traditional season opener. A powerhouse it ain't (sorry, [b]TRG[/b]).

A football team, supported by its overly-obsessed fans, or in OU's case, FANATICS, is a Division I school's biggest money maker. Controversy aside, there's no incentive for them to ever actively seek or support any type of playoff. The BCS bullshit has only made things worse.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]
as much as i hate OU...i have to say they deserve to be where theyre at...and when you have the recruiting classes they have...i dont think they're too worried about playing neb. and ksu next year w/out jason white.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
North Texas is a team that OU gets to play every year,  it's pretty much a free win.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

More games, more money.  The argument that a play-off season affects studies and class schedules is bullshit.  Players at that level are athletes, not student-athletes during football season.
View Quote

There would be lost revenue in losing the "Name" bowls like the Tostito's Bowl with a transition to a playoff system.

Someone has to be making an assload of cash to keep this bullshit system in place when every other NCAA sport, to the best of my knowledge, has a playoff system in place. The only other difference is the Bowls and their sponsors and the $$$ it generates in name placement and sponsorship.

As always, follow the $$$.

I'm wondering what would happen to the minor bowls if a playoff system is implemented.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
P.S. DAMN Grand Valley State....i'm an A&M Kingsville fan....bastards [;)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm wondering what would happen to the minor bowls if a playoff system is implemented.
View Quote

They would either get shit canned or stay the meaningless exhibition games they are today.

The LAS VEGAS bowl for gosh sakes?? It's a joke,  the Rebels beat Arkansas in the Vegas bowl a few years ago but nobody really cares anyway.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are an awful lot of players on any team that need to study and get a degree because they know that there is little to no chance in hell that they are going to be playig professional ball.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top