Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Department store chain Sears won a reprieve from liquidating Friday after its chairman, Eddie Lampert, submitted a bid in an effort to buy the retailer and keep it alive, people familiar with the situation tell CNBC.

Lampert's hedge fund ESL Investments put forward his tentative proposal for Sears earlier this month with his formal submission due today.

A bid could help divert liquidation, but may not necessarily. Sears' advisors have until Jan. 4 to decide whether ESL is a "qualified bidder." Only then, could ESL take part in an auction against liquidation bids on Jan. 14. They will weigh the value of Lampert's bid against offers to liquidate the company.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/28/sears-chairman-eddie-lampert-submits-bit-for-company.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ol’ Eddie is like a cat with 9 lives
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Sears the mail order giant... killed by a mail order giant.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think Lampert sort-of-kind-of knew what he was doing.  I agree he had an ulterior motive and was playing hedge fund high finance games to position himself to receive the greatest financial benefit if Sears turned around, while minimizing his exposure.

I think however two things happened over the years that got in his way.  First, I think Lampert got into his head the idea that he wanted to be known as the guy who turned around an American icon like Sears as well as KMart. It wasn't enough to be rich, or known as an investment whiz kid, he wanted to be known as a brilliant businessman.   Jack Welsh, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and ... Eddie Lampert!  One little known fact is that Lampert was the largest shareholder at AutoNation, at one point owning more than half the company.  Guess who started buying a lot of AutoNation stock, while Lampert sold, and a couple years ago became AutoNation's new largest shareholder?  Bill Gates.  Lampert wanted to be an investment whiz like Buffet, and a business whiz like Gates.  So perhaps he didn't just tear up the company and sell for parts like your average hedge fund type.  Instead he wanted to satisfy his ego and really turn it around.

Second, I don't think the Board and pesky things like SEC let him do all the things he wanted to do. Even the stock market didn't let him do what he wanted.  A few years ago Lampert gave a memorable public rant when Sears released quarterly earnings, complaining that companies like Tesla and Uber can burn through millions of dollars loss every week, and yet are cheered by the market.  Yet Sears sales don't *increase* enough, and the stock drops off a cliff.

And of course, it's obvious that Lampert is actually no brilliant businessman.  So buh bye Sears.
View Quote
Lampert came out of his association with AutoZone and Autonation with a pretty hot hand, but he was getting in over his head with Sears and Kmart.   In hindsight, he could have probably turned around one or the other, but having both of them vying for capital pretty much ensured neither of them would get what they needed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Department store chain Sears won a reprieve from liquidating Friday after its chairman, Eddie Lampert, submitted a bid in an effort to buy the retailer and keep it alive, people familiar with the situation tell CNBC.

Lampert's hedge fund ESL Investments put forward his tentative proposal for Sears earlier this month with his formal submission due today.

A bid could help divert liquidation, but may not necessarily. Sears' advisors have until Jan. 4 to decide whether ESL is a "qualified bidder." Only then, could ESL take part in an auction against liquidation bids on Jan. 14. They will weigh the value of Lampert's bid against offers to liquidate the company.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/28/sears-chairman-eddie-lampert-submits-bit-for-company.html
View Quote
Looks like Lampert is executing his end game now.  Let the clock run out to show the creditors and the Board that his $4.6 billion bid is in the only bid in town.  And he's got some new backers on board. From https://www.reuters.com/article/sears-bankruptcy/sears-chair-lampert-makes-46-bln-bid-to-keep-retailer-alive-sources-idUSL1N1YX16V

"The offer came after Sears’ existing lenders Bank of America Corp and Citigroup Inc, as well Royal Bank of Canada, which was not previously a lender, agreed to provide a $950 million asset-based loan and a $350 million revolving credit line to back Lampert’s bid, the sources said."
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They were Amazon with their mail order catalogs before the internet existed.

All they had to do was embrace changing times.

Goodbye.
View Quote
I'm not really sure if this is as big of an issue as everyone always points out. Amazon has no storefronts, Sears has giant ass stores larger than most walmarts. Those take lots of money to upkeep, run, employees, and real estate. They got caught in the decline of malls around America. Granted they made tons of stupid mistakes along the way, acquiring kart being one of them.

Sears would of had to in the 90s start leaving mall locations and build Walmart type stores that sell groceries and stuff or giant warehouses. Walmart is only just now trying to compete with Amazon directly with their app marketplace and shop from home and go to the store to pick up groceries and things.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looks like Lampert is executing his end game now.  Let the clock run out to show the creditors and the Board that his $4.6 billion bid is in the only bid in town.  And he's got some new backers on board. From https://www.reuters.com/article/sears-bankruptcy/sears-chair-lampert-makes-46-bln-bid-to-keep-retailer-alive-sources-idUSL1N1YX16V

"The offer came after Sears’ existing lenders Bank of America Corp and Citigroup Inc, as well Royal Bank of Canada, which was not previously a lender, agreed to provide a $950 million asset-based loan and a $350 million revolving credit line to back Lampert’s bid, the sources said."
View Quote
Pouring good money after bad. The brand is worthless.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
KMart was Unionized, and the Union dictated business decisions...

Sears was Unionized, and the Union dictated terms of business...

All while Wal-Mart, which was not Unionized was exploding. One thing Wal-Mart did right was computerizing inventory.

Sears and KMart Unions bucked on computerizing inventory.

Wal-Mart was computerizing inventory, and streamlining its delivery and logistics system long before anyone else.

Sears made bad business decisions? Sure. KMart made bad business decisions? Sure.

Blame the Unions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not really sure if this is as big of an issue as everyone always points out. Amazon has no storefronts, Sears has giant ass stores larger than most walmarts. Those take lots of money to upkeep, run, employees, and real estate. They got caught in the decline of malls around America. Granted they made tons of stupid mistakes along the way, acquiring kart being one of them.

Sears would of had to in the 90s start leaving mall locations and build Walmart type stores that sell groceries and stuff or giant warehouses. Walmart is only just now trying to compete with Amazon directly with their app marketplace and shop from home and go to the store to pick up groceries and things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were Amazon with their mail order catalogs before the internet existed.

All they had to do was embrace changing times.

Goodbye.

Those storefronts could have had value.  A big chunk of the cost of delivering your Amazon order is the "last-mile" cost.  The UPS man has to make 100 stops to deliver 100 packages.  If our hypothetical SearsOnline.com offered free delivery to their stores, they could have avoided the last-mile cost and rely on their existing inventory delivery infrastructure.  They had so many locations that most of America had a local store.  For a few extra bucks, they could do overnight delivery to their stores just by using UPS and sending the deliveries to the local store.  It would probably be cost-effective if there was enough volume.  Our, pay full shipping and have it sent to your house.

Walmart is trying something like this now, only 25 years after the last Sears catalog.

But that would have required a visionary heading the company.  Instead, they got short-sighted, clueless fucks heading the company.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Tic tic tic....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the memories

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pouring good money after bad. The brand is worthless.
View Quote
Isn’t it the land he’s after? Bankrupt away debt, keep hard assets like standalone stores that represent buildable land in good areas.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn’t it the land he’s after? Bankrupt away debt, keep hard assets like standalone stores that represent buildable land in good areas.
View Quote
I think a BK court might have issues with BK'ing debt while leaving valuable assets like land alone and safe from creditors, this ain't Obama's regime anymore.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ugh.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where will I go for my action-wear slacks?
View Quote
JC Penney
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought all the Nehru jackets they had left.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Saars went the way of Kodak, Blockbuster, and others that did not embrace technology.  They could have had that catalog online, and they would have had a hit.  They never did what it took to capture the digital customer.  Bye...
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#19]
So if they go bankrupt, who will replace my Craftsman tools when they break?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Stanley.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Evolve or go extinct.  This is nothing new. The guys that used to deliver ice for the ice box lost their jobs.  Our society is where it is due to innovation.  Innovation  brings obsolescence.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I live in one of those.
View All Quotes
Insert, "Sort of Want" Gif

with a few small modifications
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lowes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is it against the CoC to post pictures of inside Sears corporate or the stores?  I see all these post, yet wonder how many have some pictures.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:40:28 AM EDT
[#25]
In the final analysis, all of the claims that Sears was hobbled by old thinking or killed by the internet, is simply incorrect.

Shitty management is what led us to this point. Plain and simple. The only real question is whether it was deliberate hostile action on the part of Lambert, or utter incompetent. Sears could have quite easily survived and continued onwards successfully, had management made any efforts to stay on top of the market in an intelligent manner. A first year business student can make a list of all the failures involved, and those are just the obvious, public-facing details we can see. God only knows the mistakes not visible from the shopping aisle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
JC Penney
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where will I go for my action-wear slacks?
JC Penney
Is the "Dad n Lad" clothing line still the Go-To?
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#27]
20 years with them and it feels like sitting on the Titanic and
They keep saying “Don’t worry a rescue ship will be here soon!”  
The worse retail failed over the years the more they squeezed us in service. When we reached the point that we were more profitable then retail our upper management cheered and gloated... they decided we needed to be salesman instead of repairmen and turned the largest repair company in the nation into a joke. My dad died when 34 years with them.... mom left at 25 year mark. Dad would tell me how hard in the 70s it was to get on as a tech with sears and you were set if you did.
So for me personally it hurts a little... for 41 years of my life they have provided for me in one way or another.
Now I spend most of my time in a house with a customer asking a 1000 what if questions that I have no answers for. The biggest is “who is going fix this stuff if you guys go under” ?
Our collect business has died almost off... they have lost almost all the factory warranty contracts we have... almost all my calls now are these garbage “home warranty’s” that don’t hardly cover anything. I guess come Friday we will see If they are going to let that snake buy what’s left of the company.
I’ve put in a few applications in here and there with not much luck. I had one recruiter look at my resume with a cross eye and say “this is it?... no other job history?”
Nope only job I’ve had since I was 18... no college no degree I graduated high school and went to work full time. Guess that a rare thing these days.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top