Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
T34 was a tough tank. Arguably the best tank fielded in 1941 in large numbers, and the Germans did have difficulty with it.
Fuck, maybe I'm the one having reading comprehension issues this morning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am talking about when the Germans were kicking the Soviets ass. In the beginning, the Germans came up against T-34s when the Germans were vastly more experienced. Yet had a lot of trouble with the T-34. I'm just making a point, that you don't need well trained troops to make a tough tank. Just because the T-34s in Korea were Korean piloted, doesn't mean the Sherman would dominate and have no trouble killing them.
T34 was a tough tank. Arguably the best tank fielded in 1941 in large numbers, and the Germans did have difficulty with it.
Fuck, maybe I'm the one having reading comprehension issues this morning.
I'm nursing a headache so it's not like I'm at my peak mental performance right now.

I think a Good tank crew is better than just a good tank. That was one of the reasons behind the Merkava being as survivable as possible. The crew is more important than the tank, in the eyes of Western countries. You can roll new tanks off the assembly line, you can't just mass produce a good tank Crew. No doubt about that.

But yeah, the Germans were very superior in skill and experience over their Russian enemies. But still had trouble with the T-34. So I don't believe in the "Well the Koreans got their ass kicked, because they were Koreans". I think the Americans Sherman > The Soviet top of the line T-34.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
And if the M-4 had been replaced, in 1944, it would have been with a T-20/T-23 variant armed with the 76 mm gun standardized as the M-27. The T-23 series actually developed the 76mm turret used on later Shermans.

This is a T-20E3 with 76mm gun.

Pershing was originally not seen as an M-4 replacement, but rather as a heavy tank in a seperate class.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Fucking straw man much.
The t34/85 used in Korea were Russian, never said they were not.
What I did bring up is that the Sherman and T34 used were both upgraded over the models found in 45. And that they were not Soviet crews or commanders. Believe it or not the Soviet commanders in 45 had a lot of experiance conducting deep operations using armored forces.
View Quote
And you are WRONG.  M4E8  - May, 1944.

T34/85 - "Production of the T-34-85 began in February 1944, first using the 85 mm S-53 gun and then in mid-1944 the 85 mm ZiS-S-53 (the ZiS-S-53 was a modified S-53 designed by the Grabin Design Bureau in order to simplify the gun and reduce its price; the ballistics of both were the same)."
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If he doesn't I will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, is Op saying that the Sherman tank was better than the German Tiger tank?
If he doesn't I will.
Better can mean a lot of things. But I’ll concur that a tank that you can build and get into the fight is better than one that breaks down on the way to the fight and becomes target practice for enemy aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Everything I "know" about WWII tanks, I learned from Kelly's Heroes.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No one argued that, it's a straw man he put up.
What I said is that the Sherman and T34s that faced off in Korea are not the same tanks as 1945, and that the Korea's did not have experienced commanders or crews when compared to 45 Soviets.
View Quote
Except they in fact *ARE* the same tanks from 1945.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The majority of Sherman's in Korea had 76mm or 105mm guns, the majority in ww2 had 75mm guns.
The majority of T34s in Korea had 85mm guns, the majority in ww2 had 76mm guns.
Also improvements in tracks, etc

The Sherman was a better tank, I've never said it wasn't. What I pointed out s that comparing results from Korea to some hypothetical US/Soviet 1945 is not entirelly accurate reprsentation of what would have happened.
View Quote
By 1945, the T34/85 was the standard Soviet tank, and the "Easy Eights" and Jumbos were the preferred anti-tank version of the Sherman, along with the Firefly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I love these threads

2-3 people who know of what they speak.

A dozen others loudly proclaiming their ignorance while believing they are the experts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Close air support, P47’s, even P63’s, A26’s and B25’s would have decimated them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
T34 was better with it's slopped armor. If we would have fought Russia after WW2, we would've needed something better.
Close air support, P47’s, even P63’s, A26’s and B25’s would have decimated them.
Our close air support had 1 major advantage over Soviet CAS. We used fighter bombers like the P-47 and RAF Typhoon. They used IL2 Stormaviks, good if they don't have to worry about fights, targets if you did. The Germans did well against Stormoviks  when they could field fighters against them.

USAAF and RAF CAS could have decimated Soviet CAS, dump their bomb loads and mad mincemeat of IL-2 with .50 cals and .20MM cannon
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Panther service manual: Step 1 - Remove tank
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It’s WWII. The enemy is 5.3 miles up the road.

You have your Sherman, however your unit captured perfectly in tact and fueled/max ammo:

1. Tiger
2. Panther
3. Stug IIIg
4. Tiger II
5.  M10

Reports of 8-15+ German tanks ahead.

Which do you choose?

If you pick the Sherman, you’re an idiot.

The Sherman was reliable and a 75mm HE round caused more fragmentation than an 88mm HE.

Against flesh, it was good, against steel? Any person with a brain would pick a superior tank.

It was not the Sherman. No matter how you try to patriot it.
View Quote
It isn't about patriotism. Its about logistics, which you do not understand. I would select a German tank in your your hypo, but your hypo never happened. Her's a better hypo, and more realistic. You are commanding a German platoon tasked with holding a strategic intersection. You have no tank support  and no anti-tank guns. A company of Shermans is fast approaching. Do you?

1. Run
2. surrender
3. Die
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Back in the 80s, I knew a WW2 Canadian Army veteran.

He told me that the Canadian Army had a nickname for the Sherman.  They called it "the Ronson", after the lighter.  Because it burned very easily
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the 80s, I knew a WW2 Canadian Army veteran.

He told me that the Canadian Army had a nickname for the Sherman.  They called it "the Ronson", after the lighter.  Because it burned very easily
It's why I don't give many of the eyewitness account war stories a whole lot of credibility.

We know if 4 people watch a traffic accident, each person will have a different version of events. Eye witness accounts don't get much weight in courts rooms. They are notoriously unreliable. I don't know why people think war stories should be any different.

Not to mention, ALOT of troops embellished their experiences. Or you just get outright propaganda about a single tank being surrounded and picking off 8 American tanks until a lucky round knocked them out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of you, need to turn off the History Channel and read some books on the subject...and Death Traps doesn't count as potions of that book has been debunked numerous times.
My favorite quote when this type of discussion comes up...

The Sherman tank operated within the broader context of this American art of war. The Sherman succeeded on the World War II battlefield not because it was the best tank, but because it was part of the most modern and effective army. German officers complained about the poor quality of American infantry because they would not fight without tanks, would not fight at night, and depended too much on artillery fire support. German man war memoirs constantly lament Allied airpower as though it was somehow unchivalrous and unfair to plague the heroic German infantry landser and panzerman with this impersonal menace. The German man commanders did not comprehend that they were facing a more modern military machine that placed greater emphasis on firepower and industrial prowess to dominate the battlefield and therefore depended less on the traditional combat arms. The U.S. Army did not insist on fielding the best tank, but it did insist on fielding enough tanks that were good enough.

Steven Zaloga. Armored Thunderbolt: The U.S. Army Sherman in World War II (Kindle Location 2277).
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

T34/85 - "Production of the T-34-85 began in February 1944, first using the 85 mm S-53 gun and then in mid-1944 the 85 mm ZiS-S-53 (the ZiS-S-53 was a modified S-53 designed by the Grabin Design Bureau in order to simplify the gun and reduce its price; the ballistics of both were the same)."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking straw man much.
The t34/85 used in Korea were Russian, never said they were not.
What I did bring up is that the Sherman and T34 used were both upgraded over the models found in 45. And that they were not Soviet crews or commanders. Believe it or not the Soviet commanders in 45 had a lot of experiance conducting deep operations using armored forces.

I am wrong on that, thanks. I'm much better read on German armor and the overall picture of the war, I had it in my mind that the Easy 8's were not seen widely. I dug out a few books, double checked, and yes you are right.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love these threads

2-3 people who know of what they speak.

A dozen others loudly proclaiming their ignorance while believing they are the experts.
View Quote
Its a discussion, not a doctrinal thesis. I'm sure you'll let us all know who is right and who is wrong?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The Sherman was a fine tank when asked to do what it was designed to do . It was great in 1942 . And compared well to other tanks of the same size/ tonnage .

The Sherman was classified as a medium tank . Reasonable armor ( but not great) and a 75 mm gun of rather poor velocity/ performance.

In France in 1944 after no major upgrades ... it started to show its age against bigger German tanks . Panthers , Tigers etc.

Also the lack of thicker armor made it vunerable to most AT weapons. 75mm Pak 40 , panzerfaust , 88mm , etc.

We did build a shit ton of them and they were reliable .  Just not made to handle Tigers and Panthers .
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Except that the Sherman also has sloped armor. And the M4A3E8(76), with its 76mm M1 gun, ate T-34/76 and T34/85 tanks for lunch in Korea. Did well enough in the terrain of Korea that some units actually "downgraded" from M26 Pershing to 76mm HVSS Shermans, because the 76 would kill a T-34 just fine and the M4 with GAA and HVSS was far more mobile.

And the Army knew thee 76mm gun was needed, which is why they ended production of the 75mm version around the end of 1943.
View Quote
Didn't slope on the sides tho
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its a discussion, not a doctrinal thesis. I'm sure you'll let us all know who is right and who is wrong?
View Quote
It's pretty obvious who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

Those who don't just talk about things they heard in popular culture (fed by movies, tv shows, and badly researched books), flawed veteran stories (there's a reason why I, as a historian, take witness accounts with a grain of salt, especially 70+ years after the event), and spout on about 'Ronsons' and how amazing the Tiger was.

Those in the know, like Moran, do the research, use primary documents, and look at vet amounts through the lens of those primary documents.

Historical research is about piecing together the big picture through the use of smaller, reliable pieces that often need to be found, filtered from the junk,  and interpreted. Just saying "well, this veteran said x" doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am wrong on that, thanks. I'm much better read on German armor and the overall picture of the war, I had it in my mind that the Easy 8's were not seen widely. I dug out a few books, double checked, and yes you are right.
View Quote
In addition, many earlier tanks were upgraded to a similar state as an E8 - to include up-gunning to 76mm.  One famous such example is Cobra King, which was the first relief tank into Bastogne and participated inPatton's raid on the POW camp his son in law was at.  This tank still exists, has been identified, and has been restored.

http://armorfortheages.com/MilitaryVehicles/CobraKing/CobraKing.html

IIRC, she was restored to her 75 MM configuration.

"After Bastogne, Cobra King continued as part of the 4th Armored Division. At some point it had, like many other Shermans, a wire matting welded to the hull and turret. This wire matting held cut tree branches used for camouflage. It also had its 75mm gun upgraded to a 76mm and had an aircraft .50 caliber machine gun added as a coax replacing the standard .30 caliber."
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
T34 was better with it's slopped armor. If we would have fought Russia after WW2, we would've needed something better.
View Quote
The USSR gave two T34 tanks to the USA to evaluate during WWII.  I believe the results were those two were inferior with quality issues of the amor.  Both tanks, the M4 and the T34 deployed sloping armor.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Uhhh...we did fight the T-34 after WW2, and as others have posted, the Easy eights slaughtered the uber T-34.  They used Easy Eights because Pershings were overkill.

The M-26 and its descendants (M-47, M-48, M-60) are vastly underrated tanks and were more than a match for their Soviet foes.  Same for Centurion (for the first time since Little Willie, the Brits got a tank right).
View Quote
The trouble with the Pershing wasn’t that it was overkill.  It was rushed into service with an inadequate drive train.  This was fixed with the M46,  but by the time those got to Korea in numbers there weren’t many tank engagements left to fight.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For a nation that has to ship all it's men and equipmentacross giant oceans. And can't immediately drive the tank to the front lines after completion. Or can't just drive the tank back to the factory and have it repaired. The Sherman worked quite well and could perform a bunch of tasks besides JUST fighting.

Yeah, the Sherman was better than a Tiger. And I bet US Armored Corps would have faired much better against the Soviets than the Germans did.
View Quote
A point that Moran frequently makes that is lost on many is that the practical choice for many units wouldn’t have been between the Sherman and a Tiger equivalent.  It would have been Shermans or no tanks at all.  The Sherman was the best tank for the US Army’s needs at the time, which included building an armored force from practically  nothing, shipping the tanks across an ocean, and supporting them on the other side of that ocean all in a very short time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

WWII we were attacking, and had to ship everything in/  Cold War, we were defending, and could pre-position equipment and fight from prepared positions with stocks of ammo and fuel.

So - pop quiz - you are putting tanks into France August 1944.  You can ship 3 Shermans, or 1 M26 pershing per unit of space - (assuming the M26 exist, which they DON'T)  BTW, when you get there, you can unload the 22 ton Sherman.  All the facilities to unload a 46 ton Pershing were destroyed by the krauts on their way out.

So which do you choose - 1 tank that doesn't exit and can't be unloaded if it did, or 3 Shermans?
View Quote
What does your post have to do with what I wrote (and you quoted)? I did not say one damn thing about the M26 Pershing.

I want to know if The_Chieftian counted "knocked out" Shermans by only including destroyed Shermans or did he also include "knocked out and repaired"?

Are any and all first-hand accounts casting doubts on the M-4 Sherman's performance during WWII wrong? Were they all a bunch of spineless pussies afraid of their shadows?
The modern consensus damn sure points that way. Are YOU aware that the 76-mm-armed Shermans sat in England during the Invasion because it was felt they were not
needed? Boy, was the Army in for a rude surprise. They couldn't ship the 76 Shermans over the Channel fast enough. THEN they found out the 76mm was only marginally better
(one inch better penetration over the 75mm). Ike himself was apprised of this and when he found out, he shit cinder blocks.

The Sherman wasn't a bad tank, but it damn sure wasn't the "Best" tank folks nowadays make it out to be. It needed the 76mm HVAP tungsten-cored AT round to have any
chance of penetrating Panthers and Tigers, and those rounds were in VERY short supply AND mostly ear-marked for TD units in WWII.

Have YOU ever read "King Of The Killing Fields"? The XM-1 program officers had all been junior Armor officers in the ETO during WWII. Their experiences in
WWII serving in Shermans shaped their beliefs in what the Army's new tank would be. I ask again, would the M-1 be the tank it is if the guys designing it had thought the Sherman
was the best tank of WWII?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because sloped side armor is a shitty design. There's a reason the Soviets abandoned it after the T34.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Germans trained extensively on using the gun at stand off ranges, they had to.  Firing at moving targets was also something that tank commanders had to do in training.

Not quite sure your definition of effective ranges.

The 75mm on the Stug III and Pkz. IV can punch through the front of Sherman at 2,000 yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_KwK_40

The low velocity 75mm on the Sherman has to close to a distance of 500 yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/75_mm_Gun_M2/M3/M6#M3

Due to the fact the German tanker had a higher level of gunnery training, German optics, higher velocity and superior accuracy of the Kwk. 40 75mm the hit probability of the German 75mm was WAY higher than that of the Sherman's low velocity 75mm.

Plenty of places in Western Europe that give you 2,000 yards line of sight.

Situational awareness for all German tanks came from the Tank commander standing with his head above the hatch.  They NEVER drove around with all the hatches buttoned up.  Which is why they lost so many tank commanders to head wounds.

Many German tank commanders would often do a reconnaissance on foot.  Not a common US Army tanker tactic.

Afraid there isn't any difference in SA between the 2.

Even the lowly Panzer IV enjoyed a level dominance over the standard Sherman that M1A1 Abrams enjoyed over a T55.

The Sherman sucked.  

At the end of the day it didn't matter.  The Germans could have had M1A2 Abrams and still would have lost against the Americans.

Advance to contact, get on radio call in 155mm / 175mm artillery and tactical air support.  Replace lost tanks and crews tomorrow morning with new ones.  Rinse, wash, repeat all the way to Berlin.

Doesn't matter what your enemy is in with that level of dominance.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Germans trained extensively on using the gun at stand off ranges, they had to.  Firing at moving targets was also something that tank commanders had to do in training.

Not quite sure your definition of effective ranges.

The 75mm on the Stug III and Pkz. IV can punch through the front of Sherman at 2,000 yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_KwK_40

The low velocity 75mm on the Sherman has to close to a distance of 500 yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/75_mm_Gun_M2/M3/M6#M3

Due to the fact the German tanker had a higher level of gunnery training, German optics, higher velocity and superior accuracy of the Kwk. 40 75mm the hit probability of the German 75mm was WAY higher than that of the Sherman's low velocity 75mm.

Plenty of places in Western Europe that give you 2,000 yards line of sight.

Situational awareness for all German tanks came from the Tank commander standing with his head above the hatch.  They NEVER drove around with all the hatches buttoned up.  Which is why they lost so many tank commanders to head wounds.

Many German tank commanders would often do a reconnaissance on foot.  Not a common US Army tanker tactic.

Afraid there isn't any difference in SA between the 2.

Even the lowly Panzer IV enjoyed a level dominance over the standard Sherman that M1A1 Abrams enjoyed over a T55.

The Sherman sucked.  

[color=#0000ff]
Horseshit.  The sherman was superior to the 3 and 4 and was capable of killing tigers and panthers.  The gun and armor and mobility were the nearly ideal combination for the fight if faced.   Additionally It's reliability and ergonomics cannot be underestimated in the amount of battlefield effectiveness it provided.  Amazingly few tank crewmen died,

From wiki:Facing the early Panzer III and Panzer IV in North Africa, the Sherman's gun could penetrate the frontal armor of these tanks at normal combat ranges, within 1,000 yd (910 m).

Also: A Waffenamt-Prüfwesen 1 report estimated[91] that with the M4 angled 30 degrees sidewards, the Sherman's glacis plate was invulnerable to shots from the Tiger's 8.8 cm KwK 36 L/56[92] and that the Panther, with its 7.5 cm KwK 42 L/70, would have to close in to 100 meters (110 yd) to achieve a penetration in the same situation.[93] Although the later-model German medium and heavy tanks were greatly feared, Buckley opined "The vast majority of German tanks encountered in Normandy were either inferior or merely equal to the Sherman."[94][/color]
At the end of the day it didn't matter.  The Germans could have had M1A2 Abrams and still would have lost against the Americans.

Advance to contact, get on radio call in 155mm / 175mm artillery and tactical air support.  Replace lost tanks and crews tomorrow morning with new ones.  Rinse, wash, repeat all the way to Berlin.

Doesn't matter what your enemy is in with that level of dominance.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It isn't about patriotism. Its about logistics, which you do not understand. I would select a German tank in your your hypo, but your hypo never happened. Her's a better hypo, and more realistic. You are commanding a German platoon tasked with holding a strategic intersection. You have no tank support  and no anti-tank guns. A company of Shermans is fast approaching. Do you?

1. Run
2. surrender
3. Die
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s WWII. The enemy is 5.3 miles up the road.

You have your Sherman, however your unit captured perfectly in tact and fueled/max ammo:

1. Tiger
2. Panther
3. Stug IIIg
4. Tiger II
5.  M10

Reports of 8-15+ German tanks ahead.

Which do you choose?

If you pick the Sherman, you’re an idiot.

The Sherman was reliable and a 75mm HE round caused more fragmentation than an 88mm HE.

Against flesh, it was good, against steel? Any person with a brain would pick a superior tank.

It was not the Sherman. No matter how you try to patriot it.

1. Run
2. surrender
3. Die
I understand logistics just fine.

People are trying to make a turd into a Red white and blue Tank because of logistics.

Why was the Sherman dropped after WWII? Hell it was being replaced during the war. It dropped fast.

We still used the P-51 in Korea. Sherman’s were being removed as fast as Patton’s could be made.

Why such a rush to remove if such a superior tank?

Later variants had decent guns but could not take a hit.

Do you want me to pull up US service reports on how they felt about their tank?

“Tiger” was not allowed to be said over comms during African theater.

The 75mm was welcomed by the British at the very beginning but even they knew it was not going to last.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People are trying to make a turd into a Red white and blue Tank because of logistics.

Why was the Sherman dropped after WWII? Hell it was being replaced during the war. It dropped fast.

We still used the P-51 in Korea. Sherman’s were being removed as fast as Patton’s could be made.

The 75mm was welcomed by the British at the very beginning but even they knew it was not going to last.
View Quote
P-51's were not a primary fighter like they were in WWII.  They were cheap and available surplus much like the Sherman and mainly used for ground attack which is not even a role they were well suited for.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I am of the opinion that in 1943 the Sherman was quite good.  Unfortunately, the wartime upgrades that other countries performed to their tank force did not happen with the Sherman.  One of my books shows a M26 turret mounted on a M4 chassis with 90mm (is also on google if you search).  If that was available in very early 1944  (ie in time for the landing) that would have made the Sherman quite capable for the remainder of the war.  As it was, the several months manufacturing retooling time, then a few weeks of shipping meant that it was no faster than getting the m26 itself over there.  I do think the Sherman had some good qualities just the upgrading/improvements were not quite keeping pace with Russia/Germany.  Look at our aircraft development in comparison, that's one place where we didn't settle for "good enough".

I think its a good tank, it just missed that final wartime evolution to 85mm+ armament (I view it as 4 generations of tank weapons in WW2: 37mm, 57mm, 75mm, and finally 85mm+).  The other downsides were somewhat handled with the Jumbo and HVSS versions, as well as wet ammo storage.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that the Sherman also has sloped armor. And the M4A3E8(76), with its 76mm M1 gun, ate T-34/76 and T34/85 tanks for lunch in Korea. Did well enough in the terrain of Korea that some units actually "downgraded" from M26 Pershing to 76mm HVSS Shermans, because the 76 would kill a T-34 just fine and the M4 with GAA and HVSS was far more mobile.

And the Army knew thee 76mm gun was needed, which is why they ended production of the 75mm version around the end of 1943.
If sloping the armor on the sides and rear is a good idea, then why don’t modern tanks like the M1 do it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Better on the defense than on the offense which was the scenario.
View Quote
They were pretty good at both.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Up gunned Shermans were killing modern Soviet armor in the Middle East while the vaulted Panthers and Tigers rusted in the dustpile of history.  Hell, research and read what the French thought of the Panther, post war, when they operated them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Up gunned Shermans were killing modern Soviet armor in the Middle East while the vaulted Panthers and Tigers rusted in the dustpile of history.  Hell, research and read what the French thought of the Panther, post war, when they operated them.
View Quote
Didn't know that. Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#34]
@manic_moran
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember reading somewhere that the Sherman could not be made larger, because they wouldn't fit through the railroad tunnels.  Remember, we had to ship these things from Detroit all the way to Berlin!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I remember reading somewhere that the Sherman could not be made larger, because they wouldn't fit through the railroad tunnels.  Remember, we had to ship these things from Detroit all the way to Berlin!
View Quote
Maybe it's substantial reason why we were so much better at logistics than everyone else? The other countries could take advantage of just producing a tank and having it go straight on a train to the front. Versus us, we had all the technical hurdles to over come and over coming those hurdles is what got us to be masters at logistics.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Slopped armor is a great example of accidental accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually the M26 Patton was withdrawn from Korea and replaced with M4s.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We still used the P-51 in Korea. Sherman's were being removed as fast as Patton's could be made.

"Tiger" was not allowed to be said over comms during African theater.

Boom
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop being racist.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#41]
The Sherman's real strengths were logistics related, not combat related.

It did combat well enough, but was able to be made in huge numbers, was VERY reliable and VERY repairable and could move across most every road and bridge in Europe.

I'd rather have a running Sherman at the place of battle than a broken down or stranded Tiger or Panther over there.------>
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#42]
thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Didn't know that. Pretty cool.
View Quote
Yeah M51's held their on against Syrian T-54/55's in the Six Day War, not so  well against Jordanian M-47/48's. M51s saw some action in '73 as well. Chile still operates surplus Israeli M51s rearmed with a hypervelocity 60mm cannon.

Chilean M50/60 HVMS.

Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If sloping the armor on the sides and rear is a good idea, then why don’t modern tanks like the M1 do it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couple of reasons...

1.  Newer AP service rounds have made sloped RHA armor less effective with the advent of modern APDS and later APFSDS KE penetrators

2.  Ballistic composite armor and ballistic / non-ballistic skirts for the hull

3.  Armor is prioritized for crew protection and not the space taken up by the pack (engine and tranny).  It’s assumed the rear of the tank needs less armor than the front and sides
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#45]
There are several compelling arguments in support of the sentiment expressed in the thread title. There are no compelling arguments against it.

Its also interesting to compare this thread to the recent yamamoto/burke hypothetical thread.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If sloping the armor on the sides and rear is a good idea, then why don't modern tanks like the M1 do it?
View Quote
Design considerations during the development process.  Compare Challenger 2 to the

M1.  We made different decisions, so it doesn't have the slope that the Challenger does.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maybe it's substantial reason why we were so much better at logistics than everyone else? The other countries could take advantage of just producing a tank and having it go straight on a train to the front. Versus us, we had all the technical hurdles to over come and over coming those hurdles is what got us to be masters at logistics.
View Quote
In addition to driving to the battlefield, a seriously damaged German tank could be recovered and shipped back to the factory for repair.  I'm fairly confident that not a single damaged M4 was ever sent back across the Atlantic for repair in Detroit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Couple of reasons...

1.  Newer AP service rounds have made sloped RHA armor less effective with the advent of modern APDS and later APFSDS KE penetrators

2.  Ballistic composite armor and ballistic / non-ballistic skirts for the hull

3.  Armor is prioritized for crew protection and not the space taken up by the pack (engine and tranny).  It’s assumed the rear of the tank needs less armor than the front and sides
View Quote
More importantly in the context of WWII, sloping the armor on the sides reduces the maximum turret ring diameter and therefore the power of the cannon that can be mounted.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
P-51's were not a primary fighter like they were in WWII.  They were cheap and available surplus much like the Sherman and mainly used for ground attack which is not even a role they were well suited for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they were inferior and were death traps they would have been replaced long before the Korean War.

Point still stands. Sherman’s were being phased out during WWII because they sucked against German and later Soviet armor.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#50]
It also cannot be understated just how effective the M4 design was in terms of keeping the tank in the field.  The US shipped spare parts by the boatload, the parts were made to tight tolerances so they would fit without modifications, and the tank itself was built in a way that the crew could perform essential maintenance tasks fairly simply.

Compare that to the T-34.  It was a reliable tank until it wasn't.  Then, fixing it was a nightmare.  Take a look at the rear engine hatch of a Soviet T-34.  Everything is bolted down and access to the engine compartment appears to require a crane and a lot of wrench-turning time.

Compare that to this Sherman.  Two hinged doors that give easy access to the engine.

Page / 18
Top Top