BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 458
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By superspud:

newly engaged with this thread so apologies if its covered - where is this?

View Quote
Starbase
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: superspud] [#2]
Originally Posted By Hadrian:
Starbase
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

newly engaged with this thread so apologies if its covered - where is this?

Starbase

that helps explain all the dump trucks of rock and truckloads of pre-cast bridge sections hauling ass up and down the road

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Somewhat older video.

Unbelievable 50-year Plan at Cape Canaveral! | KSC Flyover

Near the end it's mentioned that there might be a thousand launches a year at Canaveral in 50 years.

The current rate of launches is incredible. A thousand launches with SpaceX, Relativity, BO and who knows who else launching medium to heavy lift vehicles? Multiple times a day practically every day depending on the weather and perhaps technical issues?

Might be enough to build a moonbase. Certainly would be a whole lot o tonnage parked in 🌎 orbit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Somewhat older video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScanxR4TiE

Near the end it's mentioned that there might be a thousand launches a year at Canaveral in 50 years.
View Quote

This starts to get my transportation-engineer attention.  (I'd believe 1,000/yr from Canaveral but in fact I'd be disappointed if that was the only place launching like that (or just replacing most with a space elevator))

Short term, is someone working on a new rail line/highways/container port to Canaveral to support the freight.  Pipeline for consumables, what's the limit there?  At some point the terrestrial freight connection requirements will mean that less-optimal launch sites make sense even with the performance hit (which Starship ca.2040 can presumably compensate for by being awesome)
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

This starts to get my transportation-engineer attention.  (I'd believe 1,000/yr from Canaveral but in fact I'd be disappointed if that was the only place launching like that (or just replacing most with a space elevator))

Short term, is someone working on a new rail line/highways/container port to Canaveral to support the freight.  Pipeline for consumables, what's the limit there?  At some point the terrestrial freight connection requirements will mean that less-optimal launch sites make sense even with the performance hit (which Starship ca.2040 can presumably compensate for by being awesome)
View Quote

Clearly we have other launch sites on the planet. But at the moment most of the traffic is out of Canaveral and various Chinese sites. Seeing the trucks going in and out of Starbase every day on those miserable roads and Peter Beck's statement that Neutron will probably never launch out of NZ because all the LOX in NZ produced in a day would only fill a Neutrons tanks to half really got me thinking about launch infrastructure in general.

Its funny but it's always been a major part of the process. The more we do this stuff the more we will have to deal with the fact that building a rocket is only part of a larger picture.

Over the long term we are definitely going to have to build space elevators or a launch loop or something to make it easier to get to orbit. But we probably aren't going to attempt something like that seriously for a century.

Until then I expect SpaceX can make the logistics work with their existing sites and maybe a few others. It will be interesting to see what Rocket Lab does with Wallops and what RFA is putting together in Scotland.

Maybe some operation will move into Kodiak Island someday? Launching large orbital rockets out of there sounds like easy logistics.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a non=paywalled link but this was on Sunday.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/24/opinion/elon-musk-spacex-brownsville-texas.html
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a non=paywalled link but this was on Sunday.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/24/opinion/elon-musk-spacex-brownsville-texas.html
View Quote

Before some tard complains about the NYT paywall:  https://archive.ph/kEKi2
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:
View Quote

Thanks, I was remembering archive.org which wasn't right.

Summary of article:  Wah
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Clearly we have other launch sites on the planet
View Quote

If we aren't dropping expendable stages back to Earth, there's no particular reason that Starship (et al) couldn't launch from the interior of the Continent(s), regardless of what's downrange.  We launch planes over dense urban areas, every day.  So long as the vehicle has a high reliability (i.e. doesn't arc back into the ground a few dozen miles downrange due to a RUD/malfunction).....launch 'em from Nevada.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

I almost stopped at trump, almost stopped at "mostly other people's money, but I stopped at 25 miles away after the article claimed the previous rockets blew up over the man's city.

I'd listen to a guy bitch about vibrations 5 miles away, but 25... Noone cares.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Sadly, the rocket garden is no longer accessible.  No gift shop, tours, or visitor's center of any kind.  Most importantly, no restrooms or convenience store, so take what you need and hit the head before you drive out.

Watch this for other useful tips.  It helped us a lot before we visited last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPazqKRf9NM

View All Quotes
think im going to drive down there tomorrow finally to see what I can see - heading down from just north of Houston. been itching for a road trip and cant make anymore excuses to not go down there.

any advice for a first time visitor?

I'd really, REALLY like to get up close and personal to the rocket garden if thats still possible? Remedios Ave is supposed to be a public road, which drives right by them.

im taking my Jeep so I certainly plan to drive down to the beach to check out the launch pad from all angles.

is there a gift shop type place? do they do tours? or is it just a fabrication / launch facility? I watch launches and follow somewhat closely, but am going in blind as far as an actual visit down there.

I have no plans on where I staying, I just assume I'll find a place once im down there and done exploring for the day.

Sadly, the rocket garden is no longer accessible.  No gift shop, tours, or visitor's center of any kind.  Most importantly, no restrooms or convenience store, so take what you need and hit the head before you drive out.

Watch this for other useful tips.  It helped us a lot before we visited last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPazqKRf9NM

The closed the road to the rocket garden? that was THE coolest spot.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:
The heat shield needing to be reusable is something that had not crossed my mind.  Hell Nasa got lucky if it survived enough to keep the shuttle from burning up and we all know that didn't even always work.  This will be interesting to watch in the future.  Replacing a few hundred thousand tiles will be time consuming to say the least.
View Quote

Something tells me 85% are interchangeable and not serialized like the shuttle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:35:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

If we aren't dropping expendable stages back to Earth, there's no particular reason that Starship (et al) couldn't launch from the interior of the Continent(s), regardless of what's downrange.  We launch planes over dense urban areas, every day.  So long as the vehicle has a high reliability (i.e. doesn't arc back into the ground a few dozen miles downrange due to a RUD/malfunction).....launch 'em from Nevada.
View Quote
Economics is still a reason.  You need velocity to reach orbit, the higher the orbit, the higher the velocity is needed.  The closer you launch from the equator, the more free velocity you get.  Net result - it is why Musk chose the southern most tip of Texas - abet I think it is still a bit north of the cape.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Thanks for summarizing.  I figured  from the title/source that it was a hit piece, but was tempted to read it anyway.  Now I won't.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Economics is still a reason.  You need velocity to reach orbit, the higher the orbit, the higher the velocity is needed.  The closer you launch from the equator, the more free velocity you get.  Net result - it is why Musk chose the southern most tip of Texas - abet I think it is still a bit north of the cape.
View Quote
Boca Chica Launch Pad is quite a bit South of KSC LC39A and B.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

I almost stopped at trump, almost stopped at "mostly other people's money, but I stopped at 25 miles away after the article claimed the previous rockets blew up over the man's city.

I'd listen to a guy bitch about vibrations 5 miles away, but 25... Noone cares.
View Quote
Same. The pontificating and superiority was more than I could push through.

Envy is an ugly look.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Lol what a whiner.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I wonder (having no idea, at all) what the actual mass penalty (in terms of kg to LEO) would be incurred from launching to an equatorial orbit from Nevada (or West Texas, etc)....
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
I wonder (having no idea, at all) what the actual mass penalty (in terms of kg to LEO) would be incurred from launching to an equatorial orbit from Nevada (or West Texas, etc)....
View Quote

That is not going to happen.  Boca Chica may be ok to test the rocket and eventually launch payloads to geosynchronous orbit but the reachable orbital planes (inclination) from Boca Chica is too restricted.  No Starlink orbits.  Nothing to the ISS.  No polar orbits.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#20]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

That is not going to happen.  Boca Chica may be ok to test the rocket and eventually launch payloads to geosynchronous orbit but the reachable orbital planes (inclination) from Boca Chica is too restricted.  No Starlink orbits.  Nothing to the ISS.  No polar orbits.
View Quote

Thus Canaveral and Vandenberg and possibly offshore launch platforms and in my craziest fever dreams, Wallops, Mahia and Kourou.

Hell, Falcon 9 is so trusted it can do polar launches out of Canaveral.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: t75fnaco3pwzhd] [#21]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
"“If the landing on the virtual tower works, then we will actually try on Flight 5 to come back and land on the tower” at Starbase, he said, part of the company’s plan to rapidly reuse Starship vehicles."

Source

With only one launch structure, that is way too risky and stupid.
View Quote

The booster will be nearly empty of propellant by the time it reaches the tower, so if it RUDs, it may be less destructive than the actual launch was.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:

Approximate latitude of Boca Chica Orbital Launch Pad: 25* 59' 46.3"

Approximate latitude of KSC LC 39A: 28* 36' 30.8"

One degree of latitude is approximately 69 miles, with one minute of latitude being about 1.15 miles, so the Boca Chica Launch Pad is around 180 miles farther south than 39A.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#23]
The Eagleford Play is a huge source of natural gas (methane), and a good part of that is connected via pipelines to Brownsville.  Sure they could manufacture their own, but I suspect it will be hard to beat the cost of something that is almost considered a waste product of oil production from the nearest significant town.  I don't know where their LOX is being generated - but honestly, that just cost power and equipment to make, so location is only important due to the cost of power used.  Lots of wind farms in S. Texas...

While Boca Chica might be a pain in the butt for many reasons - it has a good location for launch and probably an available cheap source of fuel.  While we are at it, it also has a nearby port - so shipping in raw materials is probably not all that bad either.  If I had to guess,  Brownsville probably also has decent access by rail (not that they are using rail for shipping probably - my wag is shipping is mostly ship or truck).
---
Sorry I was confused with latitude.  Florida extends further south than Texas, but Cape Canaveral is not on the tip of Florida.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry I was confused with latitude.  Florida extends further south than Texas, but Cape Canaveral is not on the tip of Florida.
View Quote

Roughly east of Orlando.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
The Eagleford Play is a huge source of natural gas (methane), and a good part of that is connected via pipelines to Brownsville.  Sure they could manufacture their own, but I suspect it will be hard to beat the cost of something that is almost considered a waste product of oil production from the nearest significant town.  I don't know where their LOX is being generated - but honestly, that just cost power and equipment to make, so location is only important due to the cost of power used.  Lots of wind farms in S. Texas...

While Boca Chica might be a pain in the butt for many reasons - it has a good location for launch and probably an available cheap source of fuel.  While we are at it, it also has a nearby port - so shipping in raw materials is probably not all that bad either.  If I had to guess,  Brownsville probably also has decent access by rail (not that they are using rail for shipping probably - my wag is shipping is mostly ship or truck).
---
View Quote
Ideally, they would pipe methane to Boca Chica and set up a cryogenic plant on site to manufacture fuel. Another cryo plant to produce O2, N2, and any other available gasses needed for operation. They have power to the site now, but methane can also produce electricity.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

That seems like a departure from 100% reusable.
View Quote
Only for test flights. Booster need a little help.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#27]
SpaceX Performs Second Wet Dress Rehearsal of Fourth Starship Flight Stack
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]
This definitely increases the chance of a flight next week,  FAA statement provided to NASASpaceflight:

The FAA is responsible for and committed to protecting the public during commercial space transportation launch and reentry operations.
After a comprehensive review, the FAA determined no public safety issues were involved in the anomaly that occurred during the SpaceX Starship OFT-3 launch on March 14. This public safety determination means the Starship vehicle may return to flight operations while the overall investigation remains open, provided all other license requirements are met. Space has not yet received FAA license authorization for the next Starship launch.

The FAA notified SpaceX on May 24 of the positive public safety determination.

Background

When a public safety determination request is received, the FAA evaluates safety-critical systems, the nature and consequences of the anomaly, the adequacy of existing flight safety analysis, safety organization performance, and environmental factors. If the FAA agrees no public safety issues were involved, the vehicle may return to flight while the investigation remains open, provided all other license requirements are met.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Methane can be produced electrically - and Musk will do it to test before trying to do it on Mars.  But economically, it would be cheaper to just get it from Brownsville.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

"Ms. Hinojosa’s core complaint was that her native city didn’t feel like it belonged to her anymore, and that it felt as though public officials were changing the city to become a center for space tourism"

LOL

It doesn't belong to you and never did.  Only the part with your name on the deed belongs to you, cunt.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:58:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hadrian] [#33]
In a post last night on X, Musk hinted at another interview with Everyday Astronaut coming next week.

ETA:

Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Road to Mars - Episode 2 (SpaceX Starship Slow-mo at 2400fps, Incredible Sound, NASA VAB)
Road to Mars - Episode 2 (SpaceX Starship Slow-mo at 2400fps, Incredible Sound, NASA VAB)
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#35]
FTS being armed
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

installed, not armed
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Still, very groovy.

After all. You don't want to leave however many pounds of explosives that is sitting on a beach in Texas for too long.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjgBsZyPnBQ
View Quote

I just finished this. Incredible footage.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DarkGray:
FTS being armed
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#40]
What's different and new on Starship Flight 4?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#41]
According to The Everyday Astronaut the Dear Moon project has been cancelled.

Not terribly shocking considering Starship is a long way from flying humans, but still.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Dear moon being cancelled is actually a big deal.

I don’t think Spacex needed the money at all but it’s no doubt a bad lock.

The hater patrol will get some ammo from this.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:
Dear moon being cancelled is actually a big deal.
View Quote
Not really.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:19:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#44]

Not terribly shocking considering Starship is a long way from flying humans, but still.
View Quote

And just like that, the dreams of my crew are over.

I have such mixed emotions about dearMoon’s cancellation. Of course I’m extremely disappointed, having dreamt about this mission since I first heard about it in 2018 and even more for the last 3 years since the selection process started. I slowly allowed myself to envision a trip to the Moon one little bit by little bit. On the other hand, I have guilt about being upset about a gift that was retracted. A part of me doesn’t feel I’m entitled to grieve since I wasn’t entitled to this mission in the first place. But the reality is, I’ll need to allow myself to grieve this loss as it became a big part of my life, my dreams, and my visions.

Going to space has never been a thing I’ve actively pursued in general. It’s not a goal of Everyday Astronaut. It was simply a cherry on top. Granted, a HUGE cherry, but I’ll be just fine without this mission. I’m extremely fortunate to have the life and the career I have and this mission’s cancellation changes none of that. In fact, I’ve gained new friends, had new adventures and learned more about myself in the last three years because of dearMoon. Unfortunately, I can’t speak for everyone on the crew who all have different emotions, consequences and realities of this cancellation. For those who this affects the most, my heart goes out to them.

The one thing I have a hard time reconciling is the timeline. Had I known this could have ended within a year and a half of it being publicly announced, I would’ve never agreed to it. We had no prior knowledge of this possibility. I voiced my opinions, even before the announcement, that it was improbable for dearMoon to happen in the next few years.

I still firmly believe that, within my lifetime, we will see missions like this happen, and while I will never be the first to do such a mission, it brings me great joy to know the future is bright and exciting. And I’m proud to be able to continue to cheer those on who will do these exciting firsts! I’ll still be here to help explain rocket science to anyone who will listen to me babble on about spaceflight.

In 2018 I started looking at the Moon and imagining artists going around it, then as the selection process narrowed, I allowed myself to imagine going around it. But unfortunately now every time I look at the Moon, it’s a painful reminder of dreams lost. But I will continue on as I always have, one giddy rocket nerd who’s here to witness history, absorb as much knowledge as I can, and break down what I learn for my fellow everyday person.

I love you all, thank you for the ongoing support and encouragement at this time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#45]

I have such mixed emotions about dearMoon’s cancellation. Of course I’m extremely disappointed, having dreamt about this mission since I first heard about it in 2018 and even more for the last 3 years since the selection process started. I slowly allowed myself to envision a trip to the Moon one little bit by little bit. On the other hand, I have guilt about being upset about a gift that was retracted. A part of me doesn’t feel I’m entitled to grieve since I wasn’t entitled to this mission in the first place. But the reality is, I’ll need to allow myself to grieve this loss as it became a big part of my life, my dreams, and my visions.

Going to space has never been a thing I’ve actively pursued in general. It’s not a goal of Everyday Astronaut. It was simply a cherry on top. Granted, a HUGE cherry, but I’ll be just fine without this mission. I’m extremely fortunate to have the life and the career I have and this mission’s cancellation changes none of that. In fact, I’ve gained new friends, had new adventures and learned more about myself in the last three years because of dearMoon. Unfortunately, I can’t speak for everyone on the crew who all have different emotions, consequences and realities of this cancellation. For those who this affects the most, my heart goes out to them.

The one thing I have a hard time reconciling is the timeline. Had I known this could have ended within a year and a half of it being publicly announced, I would’ve never agreed to it. We had no prior knowledge of this possibility. I voiced my opinions, even before the announcement, that it was improbable for dearMoon to happen in the next few years.

I still firmly believe that, within my lifetime, we will see missions like this happen, and while I will never be the first to do such a mission, it brings me great joy to know the future is bright and exciting. And I’m proud to be able to continue to cheer those on who will do these exciting firsts! I’ll still be here to help explain rocket science to anyone who will listen to me babble on about spaceflight.

In 2018 I started looking at the Moon and imagining artists going around it, then as the selection process narrowed, I allowed myself to imagine going around it. But unfortunately now every time I look at the Moon, it’s a painful reminder of dreams lost. But I will continue on as I always have, one giddy rocket nerd who’s here to witness history, absorb as much knowledge as I can, and break down what I learn for my fellow everyday person.

I love you all, thank you for the ongoing support and encouragement at this time.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Space programs are a constant evolution, talk about getting.overly attached.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#46]
The timeline was and is unrealistic.

It will be 7-10 years at the current rate of development before crewed missions happen.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/200-816.gif

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/the-butt-hurt_o_1422659-40.jpg

View All Quotes

He was told he was going to the moon.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:46:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#49]

View Quote

That's been in the cards since people noticed that Elon had stopped following Maezawa on Twitter....and possibly Maezawa got kinda spooked by the sexy-gory IFT-1/2/3 RUDs.  The expedition was certainly not gonna happen in the next couple of years (and Maezawa kinda obliquely suggests that he was promised a hard "NLT Q4 2023", back when this started).  'Course, the economy ain't the same, and who knows if Maezawa has decided that he's got less spending money that he had in 2018.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 458
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top