Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
limaxray, hat's off to you, you beat me by 3 seconds!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nothing against you, I just chose to quote your thread.  I was being a devils advocate [ROFL2].  I am indeed an athiest.  I am here (on AR15), because it's entertaining, a supurb knowledge base, and I am indeed a firearms enthusiast.

[red]I always find it interesting how fast you guys jump on someone who's spiritual vision is different than yours.  Of course, they are the ones who 'have their head in the sand', and you are the ones who have the path to heaven wired.  [/red]

This, of course, applies to the argument because it shows how critical a secular government is...
View Quote

Can't speak for anyone else, but I feel justified in jumping on someone else who is claiming to take a position based on the Bible (the owner's manual for life), when that position isn't factually based on Scripture.

In other words, if you're going to quote what the Bible says as the reason why you do something, you better get it right!

Wouldn't you yell at someone who says the law allows you to carry a shotgun with less than a 16" barrel, without any special paperwork?  Of course, because that position is based on a misreading of the law.

In this case, there are plenty of Scriptural references that shoot this guy's position down.  (pardon the pun.)

Look at it another way.  We are the most precious thing to God.  Wouldn't it make sense that God would want us to protect that most precious of gifts to us, our lives, to the maximum extent possible?  To back that up, there are Scriptural references saying defend yourself, your family, strangers, and your country from harm.

He's partly right--Christians should be gentle, and peaceful, and humble.  None of those words imply allowing evil to visit you by your inaction, or your use as a doormat by others.

So, I'd also say give the guy a good whack with a heavy Bible and tell him to disengage his head from his fourth point of contact.

[edited for spelling and board code stuff]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Scary as it is, there are Christians like this too.

Saddest thing I ever heard was at a graduation speech from a Christian School about a girls little brother who had been hit by a car. They called a 'healer' (ie. NOT a doctor) who came over right away. After it was determined the boy would not live (probably because the healer wasn't a doctor) it was deemed Gods Will.

The point of the story is the healer tried to teach him about God before he died. The stupid bitch went on with something about how each of his fingers represented something and the last one represented Jesus. When the boy died he was holding his finger and we are suppossed to assume that meant he embraced Jesus before he died and was thus saved. Eveyone in the church was moved....I was repulsed and disgusted with them.

That is when I figured out that many (because I had previously thought them to be mostly normal people) of those who call themselves Christian are in fact fucking nuts, often criminally negligent and in some cases a actual threat.
View Quote

I have no sympathy for people like that. I believe there is a very special place in hell for parents who let their children die while waiting for a miracle from God, when God has already provided the miracle in the form of modern medicine.

When my mom was dying in the hospital from breast cancer (and we knew she wasn't going to make it) my dad and I took a walk around the hall to change the scenery a bit. As we entered one ward, we found a Jehova's Witness (we asked) minister telling some guy that yes, the blood transfusion the doctor was urgently recommending would likely save his wife's life, but then HE would have to endure the fires of hell because he had given her the transfusion.

I almost had to hold my father back. The obscenities that flew from my father's mouth would have made any sailor (and I was one) extremely proud.

The gist of the ass-chewing: "You FUCKING MORON! My wife is DYING and I would give my LIFE to save her, while you're standing here with the ability to SAVE your wife TODAY, and you're listening to THIS ASSHOLE? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?"

...just translate it all into Spanish! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The saying, "The Lord helps those who help themselves," applies here also.

I grew up a Southern Baptist.  I don't recall, pacifist crap being preached or taught in those churches, at least not in Kentucky where I lived.

God put my husband in my life.  He loves guns as much or more than I do.  God gives us the means to buy them, so He must want us to have them, all of them.

I cannot believe that if God loves us, as we know He does, that he would not want us to defend ourselves from evil.  If one believes that He is a just God, one must believe in self-defense.

Those pacifists have a martyr complex.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: Wouldn't you yell at someone who says the law allows you to carry a shotgun with less than a 16" barrel, without any special paperwork?  Of course, because that position is based on a misreading of the law.
View Quote
Just so's you and others know, 18 inches is the limit for NFA SHOTGUNS.   Not to be confused with 16 inches for rifles. In other words, don't go and wack your shotgun barrel down to 17 inches and think you are ok
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't you yell at someone who says the law allows you to carry a shotgun with less than a 16" barrel, without any special paperwork?  Of course, because that position is based on a misreading of the law.

View Quote

Just so's you and others know, 18 inches is the limit for NFA SHOTGUNS.   Not to be confused with 16 inches for rifles.

In other words, don't go and wack your shotgun barrel down to 17 inches and think you are ok

View Quote

doh....[slap]...I knew that....I stand chastised.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
From "A Nation of Cowards"

"A sermon given in Philadelphia in 1747 unequivocally equated the failure to defend oneself with suicide:

He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one that hath no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God hath enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself."

[url]http://www.rkba.org/comment/cowards.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Luke 22:36
He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
View Quote

Not arguing the point at all, nor as a Christian do I believe I should be unarmed, but does that often quoted verse not refer to what Jesus wanted the disciples to do to fullfil the prophecy of the events before his death?
View Quote

Lumpy,
That quote is a brief explanation of faith.

In the paragraph before that, Jesus is predicting Peter's denial. That denial illustrated that even the great Apostle Peter had moments which shook his faith in Our Lord. Even though Jesus knows Peter will be shaken, he is trying to strengthen his faith. He reminds them that they have always been provided for, but he also makes a deeper statement about faith - that is, that whoever has the means to insure their welfare should use those means to insure it. And insuring your safety is so basic that it is better to walk around half naked than to be with out a means of insuring your safety. Remember, in those days people were very poor by our standards and most people had no more clothes than what were on their back. [i]That[/i] is a powerful statement, even moreso than it appears to our modern eyes.
Jesus then goes on to explain that what is to come (the Passion) MUST occur and that they should not lose faith when He does meet His end.
The Apostles misunderstand Him and only hear the part about the sword. They think the "climax" He speaks of is some bloody, glorious battle. At this point you can almost see Christ shake his head in frustration as He says "Enough!"
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]The earth shall inherit the meek[/b]

Think about it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]
[size=6][red]CHECK THIS OUT!!![/red][/size=6]

[url]http://www.macro-inc.com/ChristiansAndGuns.htm[/url]

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top