Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That really cheapens the value of a Harvard degree.
View Quote
the value of a Harvard degree today is in the alumni network it opens you up to, not in the academic credential.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope he gets raped.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK, so he got accepted... isn't Harvard like 50 grand a semester? Who's paying for that?

And if he's academically a stump, how is he going to pass? Is Harvard known for rubber stamping media darlings through their programs?

He is going to either flunk out and be drowning in student debt or survive to be last in his class and drowning in student debt. Sounds like this is the christmas ribbon on the end of a big metal dildo to me.
View Quote
Harvard is essentially free for all but the wealthiest.  He just so happens to be the son of a guy worth mega bucks. It will not be an issue.  At Harvard, one way or another, tuition is never an issue.   They pick who they want on a needs blind basis and take care of everyone that needs it.  The largest academic endowment in the world makes such things really easy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't care, I'm not aware of anything good that has ever come from Harvard, and I'm not expecting that to change.
Higher education in America is a joke, just like the rest of the education system.
All will whither blister burn & die when the collapse comes.
View Quote
Lots of luminaries on the right are Harvard grads.  For example, Scalia and his replacement are.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Elsewhere in Boston...

"Rising Democratic Star Ocasio-Cortez Urges Students to Become Activists

Congressional candidate, CAS alum: persistence, courage needed to achieve social justice"

"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a rising star in the Democratic party, urged BU students to become activists for social justice despite the odds when she spoke at the Tsai Performance Center on Monday.

Using her own life and long-shot congressional campaign as an example, Ocasio-Cortez (CAS’11) told the crowd of nearly 500: “I could not bear to be hopeless anymore, so I chose to do something…. On June 26, we upended the political establishment.”

That’s when the 28-year-old stunned longtime US Representative Joe Crowley in the Democratic primary in New York’s 14th District, which includes areas of Queens and the Bronx. A first-generation Puerto Rican American long focused on social injustice, she ran on a platform that included Medicare for all and criminal justice and immigration reforms—at first campaigning between shifts at her restaurant job.

How 'bout that Econ degree?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
A living example of how Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others

Harvard is a fucking joke
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's been dead for a while
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So much for Ivy League prestige.
That's been dead for a while
You say that....but it just isn’t true.

Most people have no idea what the value of a Harvard degree can be.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can believe this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they just want him for the Skull and Bones meeting boy sex
I can believe this
Skull and Bones is a Yale thing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Harvard 25th percentile is 1460

Average for Michigan State (Michigan's biggest university) is 1204.

So the 1270 is right in running for a big state university but way low for Harvard.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I scored top 3 percent in multiple college placement exams and couldn't get into Harvard.  I'm a white, straight Male from the conservative midwest though I guess
View Quote
No guessing about it.

A good friend of mine grew up in Mexico, near Mexico City, and he is a lawyer.
His roommate in undergrad, who was a straight laced white guy, could not get into the same law school despite having better grades and as my friend described him, generally more intelligent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Affirmative action for all but Asians. That’s gotta hurt
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice shoes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Harvard is essentially free for all but the wealthiest.  He just so happens to be the son of a guy worth mega bucks. It will not be an issue.  At Harvard, one way or another, tuition is never an issue.   They pick who they want on a needs blind basis and take care of everyone that needs it.  The largest academic endowment in the world makes such things really easy.
View Quote
But do they also "take care of everyone" on an academic standpoint as well? If Hogg is a middle tier student and he can't cope with Harvard's work load, will they wash him out or just rubber stamp him with D minuses until he's the world's problem?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But do they also "take care of everyone" on an academic standpoint as well? If Hogg is a middle tier student and he can't cope with Harvard's work load, will they wash him out or just rubber stamp him with D minuses until he's the world's problem?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What point of 97% graduation rate do you not understand?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
they just want him for the Skull and Bones meeting boy sex
View Quote
That's Yale.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mr. Hogg, who carries a 4.2 GPA and scored 1270 on the SAT. “I wanted to make a difference through storytelling and political activism, but I am already doing that now.”

I'm old so help me out.

In my school days 4.0 GPA is an "A" Grade.

How does one get a 4.2 GPA?
View Quote
AP and dual enrollment classes are in a 5.0 or 6.0 scale.  These days a 4.2 is really not impressive.  It's like a 3.2.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
My daughter got a perfect score and she probably won’t get into Harvard.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#18]
He'll be running for Congress in 2026...
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Whew.

Now MA can get the gun control it so sorely lacks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
If true that tells me the challenge of Harvard is getting in not staying in.

I am not a genius and when I went to the goofy art college I went to in the early 90s I had to fight tooth and claw to hold onto my GPA so I wasn't booted from the design program I was in, or so that I didn't lose the meager tuition assistance I had. I knew people in my program that washed out by like one percentage point... and they were not idiots or party school USA goof-offs either. I just always assumed that the "big brand name" schools were similar, because if some shit-ass Chicago art college can be snooty about my performance then certainly Haaaahvaaaaad had much higher stakes and expectations, right?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the value of a Harvard degree today is in the alumni network it opens you up to, not in the academic credential.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That really cheapens the value of a Harvard degree.
"Value" being subjective, of course.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's been gone for quite a while.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It is reputedly very difficult to fail out of Harvard. The admissions board does not make mistakes, what-what.
View Quote
That explains a lot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

An "A" in AP and honors classes counts as a 5.0 for your GPA. A 4.0 GPA is not good enough anymore.

edit- beat like a rented mule. BTW, one of my daughters had a 4.1 GPA and a 1530 SAT, didn't get in to Harvard.
View Quote
It doesn't matter because that's not his real grades. He got snowflake points.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

he'll get all the tutors he could possibly need, and a liberal arts degree.  my guess Communications
but wtf, a a 4.2 GPA and scored 1270 on the SAT and Cal State rejected him???
somethings not adding up
View Quote
They didn't get around to inflation his grades when he applied there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, Harvard claims to accept students who have the potential to change the world, so it sort of makes sense.
Perhaps they believe he'll have as much effect as Lenin/Castro/Mugabe/Mao?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#27]
He sure is good at “storytelling”. How the hell does someone get a 4.2 GPA or am I just old in thinking 4.0 is as high as it goes?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder how their T.M. Landry students have done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep...............my wife's liberal cousin and his wife went there as well, and both are assholes
View Quote
Neighbor across the street = same.
And just to spike the asshole ball, he’s also a Yankees fan.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Harvard is a shithole school.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Honors, AP and IB courses are out of 5.0 (A would be a 5.0).

How in the hell did Hogg get accepted?  Those are rookie numbers. Getting a sub-1300 score on the SAT should be an automatic denial.

Lol
View Quote
In some schools the high level classes are a 2 GP bump. Where I teach that’s the case. Eg a 95 in my APUSH class equals a 5.5, while a 70 is a 4.

Hogg was a C student until you add grade weights. Colleges don’t look at weighted averages anymore, though the will consider AP/ IB scores even if they don’t give credit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice shoes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice shoes.
Flat ass.......
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Political grandstanding from leftists.

Not surprised.

I would be surprised if he actually graduated on his own merit though.
View Quote
Graduation rate is what, 90%?  Graduating isn't hard once you get in:
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am not a genius and when I went to the goofy art college I went to in the early 90s I had to fight tooth and claw to hold onto my GPA so I wasn't booted from the design program I was in, or so that I didn't lose the meager tuition assistance I had. I knew people in my program that washed out by like one percentage point... and they were not idiots or party school USA goof-offs either. I just always assumed that the "big brand name" schools were similar, because if some shit-ass Chicago art college can be snooty about my performance then certainly Haaaahvaaaaad had much higher stakes and expectations, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now realise that jews are half that remaining 49% non POC at Harvard. Then exclude legacy enrollment.

A regular white kid has no chance getting in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote
Yeah, I'm sure he'll end up folding sweaters at Aeropostale with his Harvard degree.

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your point about a 97% graduation rate runs into the reality that the cohort is mostly the absolute smartest and motivated in the nation....and perhaps the world.   What would you expect for the smartest and most motivated group?    Even the *under performing* groups, such as minorities or some of the legacies are almost all nationally competitive, even if not the absolute .001%

About 2 million kids start college each year. About 2000 go to Harvard (undergrad), which is often the most competitive normal school in the country.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm sure he'll end up folding sweaters at Aeropostale with his Harvard degree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course not. But, arguing about the cynical benefit of connections and networks hardly addresses the issue of what this does to perceptions of meritocracy.

American society was built on the latter. Whether it was ever really true or not is immaterial. The social order ultimately depends on people on the bottom genuinely believing that those above them deserve to be there.

The more that erodes away, the scarier a society becomes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah sure, he will apart of some non profit think tank bullshit. But his dad is still worth 30 million.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Your point about a 97% graduation rate runs into the reality that the cohort is mostly the absolute smartest and motivated in the nation....and perhaps the world.   What would you expect for the smartest and most motivated group?    Even the *under performing* groups, such as minorities or some of the legacies are almost all nationally competitive, even if not the absolute .001%

About 2 million kids start college each year. About 2000 go to Harvard (undergrad), which is often the most competitive normal school in the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has Harvard been open with the alumni about their personal experience with the T.M. Landry mess?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Flat ass.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice shoes.
Flat ass.......
So odd for a Hispanic girl, too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Publish his GPA and already posted
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe he'll flunk out . . .
View Quote
I've heard Harvard doesn't fail anyone.  C or better, no matter what.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Weak.

Last Harvard grad with real balls was Robert Gould Shaw.

To hell with Harvard.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#44]
He still has to pass the classes. Give him one year and he will be slumming it at FSU.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Has Harvard been open with the alumni about their personal experience with the T.M. Landry mess?
View Quote
If they have, I have not seen anything.

One thing about Harvard is they tend to do what is in the best interests of Harvard.  Sometimes that means (in my opinion) defending something they fucked up.   However, the other side of that, is (and you can observe it in threads like this) is a lot of people that think Harvard is fucking up, just do not like what they are doing (or understand why Harvard does such things)

Universities in general do a lot of stupid liberal shit but Harvard is far from the worst offender. They are just the one you hear about most.  Everyone has an opinion about Harvard (but very few have any real experience) and even when they do the exact same things most everyone else is doing, they make the news.   As long as those two things keep happening, Harvard is relevant.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
And it's increasingly becoming (along with the rest of ivy league) a ring knocker club of slightly above average IQ people with no real value to greater society. That's running on inertia.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#47]
My brother in law is a sophomore there. Hes an absolute genius and conservative. Says that the amount of stupid and SJW there is unbearable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#48]
"In August 2017, Malia [Obama] started attending Harvard University"
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've heard Harvard doesn't fail anyone.  C or better, no matter what.
View Quote
This is simply not true.  People do fail out of Harvard.

Again,  of the 2 million or so kids going to college every year, Harvard is usually the most competitive normal school and gets about 2000 of them.   What results would you expect from a cohort that is mostly the absolute smartest and most motivated kids in the country?

We are not talking about kids who did really well in school, we are talking about kids that made the news for how smart they are and what projects they did.

Considering it is a student body of valedictorians that speak 3 languages, play an instrument well,  have published research and were class presidents,  it is a pretty tense place sometimes.  A lot of high strung over achieving people.   These are not often people who fail.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
TRIP DOWN THE MEMORY HOLE: Remember when UCF DENIED him?

Well, he had a 2-something GPA in California and scored only triple-digits on his SAT.

Now he magically had good grades, good scores - and now Harvard. Being a Commie seems to pay off.
View Quote
Yup.  Obama got the same ride.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top